Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2022, 11:12   #31

Re: The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review

Great review, loved the details and hats off to your patience!

I have same variant, from May '22 and just clocked 13k km and couldn't agree more with your findings! Frankly, I have learned to live with the software glitches and all other "common" inherent problems and hoping one fine day, all these will be resolved. Few of my observations below, which for now at least, I dont see many reporting out -

1. I find the subwoofer setting in equalizer absolutely useless, have tried a wide range of music and it really doesn't make any difference to the listening experience whether subwoofer is at - or + extreme. I have reported this to Mahindra but no response yet.

2. The doors on RH, they dont close without a considerable ramming. According to service team, with all other doors/windows closed, the last door (in my case driver door) would take more force to close (apparently air pressure built inside is the reason). However, both the doors on LH behave very differently with a smooth/soft closure without much effort. I have checked few other cars and they are better/normal. During my last service, they did some change to the driver door alignment and it is closes much better now, but unfortunately it is visibly offset and misaligned with rear door.

3. Got the front suspension lower control arm assembly changed, the "thud" is gone! Ride is incredibly improved and absolutely love it!! The "football is still in the trunk", and hopefully would disappear eventually after fifa w/c finals

4. Everyday, for the first 3-4km of drive (only during the first drive out) I hear this low frequency humming sound coming from the rear, which disappears after 3-4 km drive. I have shared the audio with the service center and the response given was out of this world - "it could be dust/mud stuck in the suspension which causes this sound, and suggesting I should get under chassis cleaned", which I did, but the sound is still there - its like the heartbeat from the womb

5. Most annoying and serious concern is vehicle pulling left even on flat concrete surface at almost all speeds - zero to 100kmph, with the steering in straight position, even when driving at a constant speed on a straight stretch of road. I have been reporting & demonstrating this ever since the delivery of the car. The service team has done extensive test drive, at my cost, and have confirmed the alignment, tyre pressure, steering calibration - everything is as per spec and they left me with an absurd response that "the left or right pulling is normal in "all" cars and as per their SOP, 3 meters pulling or departure from a straight line over 150 meter distance at 60kmph is permissible". I have moved across 3 lanes within 500m distance on a straight stretch with steering held straight and cruise set at 60kmph! On long drives, I have started experiencing severe pain in the right shoulder as I need to hold the steering at an angle tilted right to keep the car going straight.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Attached Thumbnails
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-doors.jpg  

Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip heartbeat.zip (330.1 KB, 32 views)
KishKush is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 15:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishKush View Post
Great review, loved the details and hats off to your patience!
Thank you
Quote:
1. I find the subwoofer setting in equalizer absolutely useless
Check with someone sitting in the 3rd row - I could please my daughter when I reduced specifically the Subwoofer volume but yes it didn't make any difference to me on the front seat.
Quote:
2. During my last service, they did some change to the driver door alignment and it is closes much better now, but unfortunately it is visibly offset and misaligned with rear door.
Looks pretty bad now
Quote:
3. Got the front suspension lower control arm assembly changed, the "thud" is gone! Ride is incredibly improved and absolutely love it!!
Thanks for feedback - looks like it's time for me to reach out to the dealership.
Quote:
5. Most annoying and serious concern is vehicle pulling left even on flat concrete surface at almost all speeds
Try with a different alignment machine at a different place. I have experienced calibration of alignment machine itself being out of bounds at a leading automobile dealer which resulted in bad alignment.
Old 8th December 2022, 19:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
3. Got the front suspension lower control arm assembly changed, the "thud" is gone! Ride is incredibly improved and absolutely love it!! The "football is still in the trunk", and hopefully would disappear eventually after fifa w/c finals
The football in the boot issue got self resolved for me, it was the biggest gripe I had and it completely went away once my def levels went below ~65% . I would suggest you leave it as is for now and wait for your def levels to fall and see if it goes away. The service centers dont have a fix for it yet and I would avoid letting them meddle with suspensions and other components trying to fix it.
Sandegov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 10:21   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
The football in the boot issue got self resolved for me, it was the biggest gripe I had and it completely went away once my def levels went below ~65% . I would suggest you leave it as is for now and wait for your def levels to fall and see if it goes away. The service centers dont have a fix for it yet and I would avoid letting them meddle with suspensions and other components trying to fix it.
I don't see it going away with the DEF levels below 65%. I have run the car until DEF level reached 22% (around 8.5k km) and then topped-up to 93%. Right now it is at 60% (at 13.2k km). There seems to be no affect on the sound. It is surely is sensitive to the fuel levels. I have noticed nobody at the service centers are bothered nor qualified enough to spend time to resolve this.
KishKush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 10:55   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G. View Post
Thank you

Check with someone sitting in the 3rd row - I could please my daughter when I reduced specifically the Subwoofer volume but yes it didn't make any difference to me on the front seat.
Thanks for this. I thought the subwoofer didnt work only in my car. I tried the little experiment in 3rd row, and you are right, the change is at miniscule level.

Quote:
Try with a different alignment machine at a different place. I have experienced calibration of alignment machine itself being out of bounds at a leading automobile dealer which resulted in bad alignment.
Visited 2 alignment centers this week but they didn't have the parameters/spec for 700 updated in the software. But one of the mechanics did a test drive and as we drove made fine adjustment to the front camber bolts (?). Now I see a good improvement, not so much stress on the shoulders. However, I am worried if some other parameter is out of spec with this adjustment. So, planning to drop the vehicle (10th time since May!!) at the service center this weekend for door adjustment and wheel alignment/steering calibration.

This is my first car with all LED headlights. I am really struggling driving at night. The low beam especially is very poor and can't run all the time on high beam. I have tried following the guidelines from manual for headlight levelling, but still not satisfied, doesn't give good confidence driving at night.

Flickering of the head light is normal at the time of power on? I run with the DRLs on. My observation is, the flickering is usually when the car is powered on after a good gap of 20-30min after engine is turned off.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VID20221103180212.zip (8.90 MB, 25 views)
Old 16th December 2022, 21:46   #36

Quote:
1. I find the subwoofer setting in equalizer absolutely useless, have tried a wide range of music and it really doesn't make any difference to the listening experience whether subwoofer is at - or + extreme. I have reported this to Mahindra but no response yet.
My AX7L was delivered this week. I am also observing the same. Changing the subwoofer setting does not seem to make any impact. Were you able to figure something out?
harish11128 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 10:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I have tried following the guidelines from manual for headlight levelling, but still not satisfied, doesn't give good confidence driving at night.
Leveling via the rotary knob on the dash or mechanical adjustment? With right aiming done mechanically I find the lights to be good.
Quote:
Flickering of the head light is normal at the time of power on?
Never noticed as I ensure the lights are at OFF and not Auto or Parking or ON to avoid any damage which might arise from any voltage dip and/or surge at starting.
A.G. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 16:48   #38
BHPian

Frustrating AdrenoX experience

It is shocking to see Mahindra releasing half-baked software without any proper testing even in this day and age. While earlier the Wireless Android Auto connection had a 50:50 chance rendering Google Maps useless when needed the most, on 10th December encountered a new issue where-in the built-in Navigation Maps also stopped working. An ignition restart after 5 mins didn’t solve the issue but magically this issue was not there when restarted after a couple of hours. But this time there was a new issue of crackling sound from the speakers whenever there was any notification or any music was played.

Video of in-built Navigation Failure

Video of crackling sound

The vehicle was inspected the following day and while this was the primary issue, the suspension noise took priority as it was heard and confirmed in the test drive while demonstrating the Navigation / Android Auto issue. Parts availability meant the replacement would be done immediately and it didn’t take long for replacing both the lower control arms. The only thing that was odd was no alignment check was done post replacing the suspension components and there is no pull, I am not happy with the slightly heavier steering feel now.

Comparison of sound before and after lower control arms replacement on the same patch

For the Navigation / Android Auto issue, the general scan via the dedicated software was done before handing over the vehicle. Apart from this, thinking that the next visit would directly be for the 10K Kms service had got the DEF also topped-up and it took around 7.5 Litres (accounting for some spillage) to take the level from 60% to 98%.

Have covered more than 1200 Kms over the span of 6 days out of which there was a single trip of 1000 Kms in 2 days and these have been the most frustrating drives as whatever I did including praying to the almighty, restarting, delayed start till Engine light going off or even starting after overnight halt, there was no guarantee that the center screen would even turn-on, let alone limiting the issue to just Navigation or Android Auto. Since last evening the center screen has not booted-up and goes completely blank after displaying the responsibility disclaimer. Even basic features like Camera while reversing doesn’t work, HVAC works but you don’t know the fan speed or temperature set, you cannot listen to music and handsfree calling doesn’t work. In the afternoon both the screens went completely blank but the cluster screen came back to life after a minute.

Picture taken at 1823Hrs on 16 December – no camera even in R
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-20221216_182316.jpg

Picture taken at 1256Hrs on 17 December
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-20221217_125632.jpg

Picture taken at 1300Hrs on 17 December
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-20221217_130035.jpg

@Mahindra – wake-up
A.G. is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 11:05   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish11128 View Post
My AX7L was delivered this week. I am also observing the same. Changing the subwoofer setting does not seem to make any impact. Were you able to figure something out?
The subwoofer is located approximately over the left rear tire in 3rd row. Unfortunately, the factory settings for subwoofer doesn't really change the experience for the front row, and a very miniscule difference for 3rd row. I am not sure if anything can be done for now, unless Mahindra tweaks the subwoofer along with the software setting. The guy responsible for software update at the service center was clueless about this.

Quote:
Leveling via the rotary knob on the dash or mechanical adjustment? With right aiming done mechanically I find the lights to be good.
Yes, I did that but still not a confident night drive. I drove my friend's Brezza over the weekend that has normal headlamps, and felt so good, so it must be just me not adjusting the the LED headlamps and nothing wrong with 700.

Quote:
Never noticed as I ensure the lights are at OFF and not Auto or Parking or ON to avoid any damage which might arise from any voltage dip and/or surge at starting.
Good point, I could do that, but Mahindra should take care of this if there are such chances of damage. I need to check few other 700s just to rule out mine isn't behaving any differently.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th December 2022 at 11:31. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
KishKush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 11:00   #40
BHPian

Frustrating AdrenoX experience (continued)

Finally I was able to time and capture the AdrenoX ‘Silver Box’ reboot sequence which happens every 5 minutes post the last reboot.

Till the ‘Disclaimer’ screen is visible, pressing the camera button activates the camera. After that, nothing works and a count-down for 5 minutes starts internally repeating the reboot cycle over and over again. Hill Hold Control Error also appears out of the blue.

Without the Center Screen, there is no way to play Music, no Radio, no phone connection even for basic calling let alone Android Auto / Carplay, no Camera, no navigation, no way to change the Drive Modes and no way of knowing the Fan speed or the temperature set.

Upon reaching out to Mahindra, it became clear that this is not a software fix which resulted in ordering of the ‘Silver Box’ for it’s replacement. Surprisingly the remote features of the currently installed unit had been disabled upon ordering of the part itself with today / tomorrow being the clarity for part arrival.

Video of the reboot cycle

AdrenoX app says Subscription Expired
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-screenshot_20221220_080821_adrenox-connect.jpg
A.G. is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 17:27   #41
BHPian

The ‘Silver Box’ replacement

Despite the dealer procuring the part from a near-by dealer which should have been an overnight delivery, somehow it took them 2 days to arrange the same.

The actual process of removing the glovebox, removing the old unit and reversing the sequence with the new unit hardly took any time – probably 45-60 minutes for the entire mechanical swap. What took most of the time though was availability of the right person both at the dealership for sharing the relevant details back to Mahindra and then at Mahindra to finally approve the release of vehicle – the whole process dragged the timeline from an hour to 4 hours. Thankfully it was less than the requested entire day for replacement.

Couple of learnings from this:
  • An year into sales and Mahindra has still not perfected the software end. Glad the ECU is not integrated in the ‘Silver Box’ and the vehicle was still driveable with something as basic as instrument cluster failing and with features less than even my humble Genio.
  • The ‘Silver Box’ failure is quite common post the Apple CarPlay update and the same is not recommended anymore – that’s the story I got and I was happy to live without the CarPlay update. Surprising that the part is not readily stocked if that is the case.
  • The information sharing process between dealer and Mahindra which consumed a good chunk of time could have been saved in my opinion.
  • Cut one head and two more shall Rise. While the ‘Silver Box’ replacement solves an issue, it opens up a Pandora box with firstly the exterior having bird poop at multiple places & the interior panels (luckily plastic only) getting finger prints and smudge marks and secondly the front passenger area getting a faint squeak.
  • Washing & Cleaning mentioned on the RO is only a gimmick and the job won’t be performed. When questioned the response was that’s it mentioned by default on the RO. Not sure why it was part of approval as well at the time of RO opening which showed zero amount.
  • It was surprising to see a pending payment for the disposable covers on a warranty part replacement visit which not there on the same RO when the diagnosis was done 3 days prior. While it was waived off as a goodwill gesture, it should not have been there in the first place.
While setting-up the new system, found some interesting notifications.

Software showing System up to date despite not having the latest version of software
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-software.jpg

A sub-menu of Over the Air Surprises having Happy Birthday notification under History…
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-birthday-1.jpg

…along with a greeting
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-birthday-2.jpg

While it’s a nice touch, not sure from where Mahindra picked up this date as it’s incorrect.

A word about the not so latest 8.01.41 version:
  • Happy to report that Android Auto connection so far has been seamless with the connection happening automatically everytime.
  • The Instrument cluster now display the maps without setting a destination – that’s the way it should work ideally.
  • Camera seems to have higher frame rate now.
  • Not sure if it was present earlier or not but yesterday I accidentally clicked on the XUV7OO icon displayed on the top view which enabled some transparent mode. While this works only at low speeds, it looks cool to see what you have just passed over under the translucent XUV7OO icon. Only in this mode and the 3D mode the frame rate drop is observed.
A.G. is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 20:23   #42
BHPian

Two things every XUV owner (more so the 7L D AT ones) should read:
  1. Owner's Manual
  2. This detailed post from A.G.

Answers so many questions that aren't operationally described in the manual. Fantastic. Thanks a ton.
haribalram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 05:53   #43
BANNED

Mahindra is notorious for releasing half baked softwares and poor upgrades, they will never ever learn their lessons , atleast they make their bodies strong unlike the legendary maruti
Old 15th February 2023, 17:35   #44
BHPian

ADAS issue and getting the Sequential Tail Lamps

While cruising along on the highway, out of the blue the Adaptive Cruise Control got disabled, a warning chime sounded and when I looked at the cluster, the error below came-up.
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-adas-1.jpg

I tried to clean the windshield multiple times with the washer wiper (both while stationary and while moving) but the error didn’t go away. Recorded this video

Restart as well didn’t solve the issue and only after cleaning the windshield manually did the error go away shortly after starting to drive. I suspect that the Passenger side wiper itself is not cleaning the entire area and is lifting-off at the top near the ADAS camera due to the curvature of the windshield.

Closer pic from top of the area cleaned by wiper
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-adas-wiper-2.jpg

This error occurred only twice till now and the only solution is manual cleaning of the windshield.

Recently also noticed that one of the Rear Door Chrome strip has finishing issue with the metal part coming off.
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-chrome-strip-gap-3.jpg

Most likely would be replaced under warranty.

Got the much awaited Sequential Tail Lamps as well but it was not without it’s share of story. After opening all the Tail gate inner trim and removing all the lamps to save time while the parts were being issued from stores, it was found that one side outer and other side inner lamp had transit damage. And they were the only available parts that day with fresh lot expected to arrive the next day. Got just the lamps fixed back and carried the trim panels in the boot to avoid fitment and removal the next day.

Tail Gate from inside
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-tail-gate-4.jpg

Trim panels and lamps removed
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-tail-lamps-5.jpg

Oustide view without the lamps
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-tail-lamps-6.jpg

The dealer promptly informed the next day that the parts had arrived and were already opened and checked for quality before calling me. It hardly took 30 minutes to swap the lamps and I took the opportunity for getting the only 2 bulbs (Brake & Reverse) changed to LED.

While checking the Reverse LED before fitting
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-tail-lamps-7.jpg

The straight swap LED for Brake light
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-tail-lamps-8.jpg

Comparison of Brake light
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-tail-lamps-9.jpg

Captured Super slo-mo of the Sequential Turn Signals in action to see the segments lighting-up

The next day while washing & cleaning found the small but painful scars left by the lamps during removal / fitment …
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-tail-lamps-damage-10.jpg

… and thankfully just some dirt marks on the white trim panels
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-tail-lamps-damage-11.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by haribalram View Post
Two things every XUV owner (more so the 7L D AT ones) should read:
Owner's Manual
This detailed post from A.G.
Thank you for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn_nike View Post
Mahindra is notorious for releasing half baked softwares and poor upgrades, they will never ever learn their lessons , atleast they make their bodies strong unlike the legendary maruti
The software failure would have been liveable had it not been for the instrument cluster failing as well. Glad that the issue has not come back since the Silver Box replacement.
A.G. is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 16:09   #45
BHPian

1st Service of 10000 Kms

Due to unplanned travel which came-up for next day and the odo already at 9500 Kms, checked with the local dealer Mighty Mahindra if they could accommodate the request for 10K service an hour later at 3pm. They were kind enough to accommodate the request and had a blazingly fast turn around of just 2 hours which included some minor jobs.

Engine Cover was rattling and it was fixed properly. Tyre rotation with steering calibration addressed the issue of steering feel which was different since the Lower Control Arms replacement. Engine Oil, Oil filter and cabin air filter were replaced while cleaning the Engine air filter. 6 Liters of DEF was also added bring the total service cost to Rs. 4,471/-. Including the previous DEF top-up of 8 Liters (Rs. 977 including filling charge), the total DEF consumed was 14 Liters (Rs. 1631 total expense) for 9500 Kms leading to approx. an average consumption of 680 Km/L and additional cost of Rs. 0.17/Km.

Waiting for bay allocation
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-1.jpg

Oil used - surprisingly the grade is not mentioned on the Oil
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-3.jpg

DEF is also specially packed for Mahindra
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-4.jpg

Washing which took most of the time even in this short window
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-2.jpg

The next day left home early for the destination but upon crossing the 9800 Kms mark, the alert for scheduled service due came-up.
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-5.jpg

Tried to search for options through the settings but couldn’t find any and finally waited till 9AM before calling the CoTek for help. He promptly guided on the process to reset this by Switching OFF the ignition and then Switching it back ON without pressing the brake pedal but keeping the Enter button on the steering pressed and releasing it just before the needles complete their sweep. Post this, the alert got cleared and it didn’t come-up again.

Post lunch after the restart suddenly the look and feel of Android Auto changed to coolwalk which was a pleasant surprise with the maps using the entire screen real-estate.
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-6.jpg

Some observations after covering 10K Kms:

1. Till now I have had 05 additional visits (once for Navigation issue, Silver Box replacement diagnosis, Silver Box replacement and twice for Tail Lamp replacement).
2. The only persistent noise bothering as of now is from DEF / fuel tank.
3. Drive normally and this engine rewards with exceptional FE and whenever you need that extra power, it delivers without hesitation.
4. Though ADAS is over cautious at times with some random braking, once you adapt to it the drive is quite blissful especially on the expressways.
5. Last couple of weeks saw quite a lot of issues with AdrenoX app (remote commands activation getting stuck, random log-out from app, trip history not working, live location sharing not working etc.).
A.G. is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks