Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2023, 09:17   #61
BHPian

Re: The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Typically about 200km (carefully driven) shouldn’t be an issue. Meaning, use brakes at the minimum. The risk you carry here is if the sensor when brushed against the discs it will score the disc. The old Pads you carry can be saviour in this situation. You can do this yourself with the help of a roadside garage too. No big deal. The 100-150 Kms is a max distance you will need to find a descent workshop (or a tire shop). Obviously, take your call if you are going to be on a long drive which is too close to your anticipated distance, change it.
100-150 Kms probably would get me to a Mahindra ASC itself on the routes I frequent. Would be interesting to compare the thickness once the alert to replace pads comes-up on the current set with the previous ones.
A.G. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 13:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G. View Post
I had the same thoughts. Regarding bypassing the warning, the other concern raised was damage to brake rotor would occur once the sensor makes contact.

Coming from Endeavour which had brake pads costing half and lasting twice the distance, I definitely feel the pinch.
Try braking hard from speed twice or thrice for the brake pads to bed properly. It's generally only required for high performance brakes in sports cars, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

The sensor making contact might at best leave a scratch ring on the brake disk. It won't ruin the brake rotor and your braking ability won't be compromised. Damage to the disk that is more than cosmetic only occurs once the brake pads have been ground down to metal.
Old 13th May 2023, 10:34   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Try braking hard from speed twice or thrice for the brake pads to bed properly. It's generally only required for high performance brakes in sports cars, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
The problem is persistent even after covering almost 2K Kms post replacement with all sort of driving, but will surely give it a try.
Old 13th May 2023, 10:36   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is persistent even after covering almost 2K Kms post replacement with all sort of driving, but will surely give it a try.
Oh I thought you just got it done. Then you must take it back and make a fuss or they might blame your driving style.
Old 13th May 2023, 10:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Oh I thought you just got it done. Then you must take it back and make a fuss or they might blame your driving style.
The dealer is already aware of the situation and infact even at dealer level, they have attempted to clean the brake pads and perform general checks. Since the noise is still there, next week they are planning to take corrective steps under guidance from Mahindra.
Old 14th May 2023, 15:23   #66
BHPian

Skyroof (Panoramic Sunroof) not closing

For the first time accidentally long-pressed the unlock button which resulted in missing out a family event in a different city. This was all thanks to the Skyroof refusing to close.

Video of the incident which happened in end of April

After trying all measures I could think of to close the sunroof, finally connected with Mahindra helpline on call since being a Saturday I was unsure if the ASC in Dehradun is open or not. They connected me with the manager of DPM Dehradun who offered to send his personnel to the hotel where the festivities were taking place or I could drive down to their workshop which was open. Opted for the latter since the weather was becoming gloomy and it had already rained last night – with the sunroof open it would have been a disaster had it rained while waiting for help to arrive.

While praying along the way for no rains, drove to the opposite corner of Dehradun to reach the ASC. Here I was all dressed-up for the family event standing in the workshop

Despite reaching during lunch time, they had kept on hold a couple of technicians to immediately address the issue. It was hardly a 5 min fix as they simply removed the battery, reconnected it after a short wait and then tried to close it by moving it in short bursts to bring it closer to the closed position and then holding the button to close it. On the second such attempt, they were successful in closing it after which they tried opening / closing it couple of times before connecting the laptop to check for any errors.

The only thing I didn’t try out was disconnecting and re-connecting the battery since I did not carry the tool kit to make space for the luggage but as part of the learning from this episode, have kept a spanner and socket in the glovebox itself.
A.G. is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 08:06   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing I didn’t try out was disconnecting and re-connecting the battery since I did not carry the tool kit to make space for the luggage but as part of the learning from this episode, have kept a spanner and socket in the glovebox itself.
Sorry to hear this - in the boot, there is a screw-driver and a spanner already. That works for Battery terminal - you don’t need to carry extra stuff. Its part of default toolkit - probably M&M expected the battery disconnection and connection to be universal solution to everything like we are used to Ctrl + Alt + Del and restart on windows!

While you are at this issue - can you please ensure that the rubber on roof glass is not misaligned/ creating a anti-pinch behaviour trigger for the roof while closing? The sunroof may be thinking that someone kept their finger in the path of glass and it’s going back?
abirnale is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 09:24   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear this - in the boot, there is a screw-driver and a spanner already. That works for Battery terminal - you don’t need to carry extra stuff.
My bad to have not trusted Mahindra to have thought of this and already provided the spanner in the kit.
Quote:
While you are at this issue - can you please ensure that the rubber on roof glass is not misaligned/ creating a anti-pinch behaviour trigger for the roof while closing? The sunroof may be thinking that someone kept their finger in the path of glass and it’s going back?
The rubber along with rails (for any clogging) were among the first things to be checked both by myself and by the ASC. Since the reset, the daily operation has been flawless but I am yet to try it again with the key.
Old 15th May 2023, 14:13   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My bad to have not trusted Mahindra to have thought of this and already provided the spanner in the kit.
I should have included the “sarcasam” emoji on my response earlier! I did not expect this issue to occur in any car, definitely not m&m.

This is clear failure and unexpected on the XUV7OO, Period.

Just as a fallback plan - when things go wrong, I recommend this:
- Regardless of the issue, Report to Customer Care 1800 line.
- Switch off, Cool down, Switch ON.
- Battery Disconnect, Cool down, Battery Connect
- As long as car doesn’t pose safety threat, I keep driving to the nearest ASC for deeper diagnostics.
- Keep the regular SA from routine ASC informed of the issue and what you are doing - ask him/ her to collect details of if this is an expected issue, any possible root causes and possible remedies that wont spoil your travel and do what is most optimum in that situation
- My last choice is flatbed, and keep moving to destination.
abirnale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 12:02   #70
BHPian

Update on the Brakes

After discussions between Dealer & Mahindra, the Front brake pads were replaced as there was a doubt on the material of the Brake pads itself. Post replacement have been driving only in the city and the noise is yet to occur. Would report again after covering some more distance.
Old 22nd May 2023, 14:32   #71
BHPian

@A.G. The brake noise issue is because of the brake pad itself, had similar noise on my bike (Tvs Apache RTR) when brand new. Service center tried every trick up their sleeve but it didn’t go. I even tried hard braking and all the hacks from internet. Finally replaced them and never heard a single brake squeal since then. Hope in your case too the same happens.
AROO7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 12:45   #72
BHPian

Rattle from Center Armrest and issue with it’s Sliding Mechanism

While on a trip which involved only Expressways, there was rattle noise on even the minor undulations / expansion joints of bridges. Was able to pin-point it the Center Armrest area and when trying to slide it, found that it’s movement is not smooth and sometimes getting stuck.

Video of the issue

A screw is missing from underneath the center armrest and has most likely made it’s way inside the sliding mechanism
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-armrest.jpg

Will have it checked upon returning to base but it’s alarming to see a screw coming off in the interior trim. Not sure what all would need to be removed to rectify this issue - praying the gain is more than the pain.
A.G. is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 17:14   #73

Quote:
While on a trip which involved only Expressways, there was rattle noise on even the minor undulations / expansion joints of bridges.
I had the exact same rattling noise issue; the SC guy tightened those screws, and it's gone! In your case, I think extracting that screw out of the armrest can be a daunting task.
Can you please tell me more about your engine cover's rattling noise? Was this part creating the noise? If yes, how complex is the fix?
Attached Thumbnails
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-xuv700wngine.jpg  

Old 8th June 2023, 15:57   #74
BHPian

Update on the Screw in the Center Armrest

Visited the ASC and it was found that there is no way to open the sliding assembly and would need to replaced as a whole. Still I had requested to check with Mahindra if opening-up is possible since the process to replace the center armrest requires removal of almost the entire center console from Gear lever till rear AC vents (Long term Pain would be more than short term Gain).

After waiting for a couple of days to hear on a solution or part replacement update, I attempted to remove the screw and with some patience and some ordinary tools, I was able to extract the screw through the bottom when the armrest is in open position.

Getting first glimpse of the screw – half the battle won
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-armrest-screw-1.jpg

The screw once out
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-armrest-screw-2.jpg

Surprisingly when I tried to put this screw back in place, I noticed that despite the length of the screw, barely any thread come in contact with the panel inside. Interestingly, the second screw as well came loose during the process of removal of the first one or while putting it back. Luckily the second screw did not fall into the sliding mechanism.

As of now both screws are removed and the mechanism is working fine without any rattles.
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-armrest-screw-3.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by anony_drive View Post
Can you please tell me more about your engine cover's rattling noise? Was this part creating the noise? If yes, how complex is the fix?
The marked part is not creating the noise in my case, it's actually the Engine cover which is loose. Put a hand on it and it stops rattling. It seems one or more of the rubber bushes inside the Engine cover are loose from day 1 and these are not available separately. Probably this too would need some jugaad fix someday.
A.G. is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 12:44   #75
BHPian

Stats after 50 Fill-ups, trip details and a software glitch

Completed 50 fills as per Fuelio and thought of sharing some observations:

1. Covered slightly over 25K Kms in just a shade under 8 months.
2. Max fill of 55.7 Liters had the DTE down to just 3 Kms – the lack of functional Fuel stations on my first run on the new Expressways took it down to the wire with heart in mouth.
3. Since the last service, there seems to be some hesitation when accelerating and a drop in FE (on same routes) is observed as well – could be nothing more than the effect of Summers and AC usage but planning to revert to the factory original air filter to verify.

Some stats
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-fuel-stats-1.jpg

Some charts
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-fuel-stats-2.jpg

Recently visited Chitrakoot – view from the top of mountain
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-mp-1.jpg

A random capture in the parking
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-mp-2.jpg

FE after 500 Kms on Expressway
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-return-1.jpg

Final stats over 702 Kms
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-return-2.jpg

The complete drive
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-return-3.jpg

This time changed the shampoo to a reputed Wash and Wax and the results were amazing
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-wash-wax-1.jpg

Mirror like gloss with minimal effort
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-wash-wax-3.jpg

On this trip, the navigation presented with a software glitch when both the screens were showing contradicting turn

To go left or to go right
The Silver Surfer | Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) | Ownership Review-mahindra-xuv700-z-error.jpg

The more I noticed, more such instances became evident with there being a mismatch between Google Maps on the center screen and Turn indication on the Instrument screen.
A.G. is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks