Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
12,848 views Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2023, 21:23   #1
BHPian
 
robincsamuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: KL-03/KA-05
Posts: 202
Thanked: 628 Times
2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!

It's been two years and 15,000 kilometers with our Sonet. Initially, I kept postponing the idea of writing about it, but then I realized it would be nice to document my long-term review. So, I finally found the motivation to put my thoughts into words.

Summary



I absolutely love everything about this car. It's fantastic to drive, looks really beautiful, the cabin feels luxurious and is packed with features. Instead of repeating the commonly mentioned positives, let me share a few points that I think are worth highlighting.
  • I'm really impressed with the TGDI engine and powertrain combination; it's fast and responsive. The car's handling is decent too.
  • The ventilated seats are something I absolutely love. They have spoiled me, and now I immediately feel the effect when I drive a car without them.
  • The connected car experience with UVO/Kia Connect (excluding voice recognition) has been nice. I think it's the best in the segment. I'm highly satisfied with it, and I'm planning to renew the subscription.
  • I appreciate some nifty features like the fan speed automatically lowering during hands-free calls, and the prompt suggesting nearby fuel pumps when the fuel level is low. There are a few such additions that really enhance the overall driving experience.
  • The in-built navigation is decent, though it's not good as google maps when it comes to real-time traffic and accuracy. However, the interface is great, especially the way it shows the road previews and integration with the instrument cluster.
Dislikes:
  • A few misses such as wireless phone projection, cornering lamps, cooled glove box, and 60:40 split for the rear seats.
  • The 1.0 TGDI engine lacks low-end torque, which makes it a bit difficult to drive slowly on uphill slopes, especially on narrow, steep grades with turns. It can be quite frustrating.
  • The unknown crash safety; considering the ratings of other Hyundai/Kia cars in India, I don't expect the crash rating to exceed 3 stars.
  • The service experience in tier-3 cities has been disappointing. The service advisors seem unsure about things that are clearly stated in the owner's manual. I'll provide more details on that later.
  • I hate the over-the-air updates, I wish there was an option to update via USB.
  • The fixed armrest is not practical for short people unless the seats are pushed all the way back. I wish they were sliding.

The Decision to Buy a New Car



The 2011 Santro Xing is our family's very first car.

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-photo20201123175232.jpg

We live in Bangalore and only use the car when we visit our hometown. The car had minimal usage in the past five years, adding only around 5000 kms. Most of its running took place when I was in Kerala.

In 2019, we started thinking about purchasing a new car. And we set a timeline of 4-5 years, with the intention of saving up for the car.

After the first wave of COVID-19, we decided to temporarily move to Kerala. We took a flight from BLR to TRV, but the flying experience was terrible, especially with a 2-year-old and following COVID protocols. The flight was delayed due to an aircraft issue; we had to change the flight after boarding. My friend brought our Santro to the airport so that we could travel alone as per the quarantine protocols. However, upon getting in the car, it wouldn't start! It was around 9 pm, and we couldn't locate a workshop for assistance. I opened up the hood and inspected components like the air filter, and luckily, the car eventually started. I was worried the car might not start again if I stop, as I was unsure about the problem. So, I kept driving without any breaks until we reached home. Later, I got the car checked at the Hyundai service, but they didn't find any issues.

Then, during another local trip, both the front tyres suddenly blew out. It turned out there was an alignment problem and one side of the tyres was worn out excessively.

All these incidents prompted us to consider changing the car, even though we haven't experienced any of these issues since then. One other reason we made the decision was that we planned to travel from Bangalore to Kerala by road going forward.

Choosing the Perfect Car



The primary requirements:
  • A compact crossover. We all are used to high seating and prefer the same. Also, a vehicle with a high ground clearance works best in my hometown (Pathanamthitta, Kerala).
  • Petrol Engine.
  • Proper Automatic Transmission.
  • Six airbags, ISOFIX, and Active safety features such as ESP and Hill Assist.

Hyundai Creta

After considering our requirements, we had the Hyundai Creta in mind as a potential choice. We decided to visit the dealership to check out the car in person. While we liked the Creta, we soon realized that it has more space than what we actually needed. We felt that the rear space would be excessive, especially considering that it would primarily be our daughter using the rear seats. We wanted a car where we could all be closer together.

So we decided to go for a sub-4-meter crossover.

Hyundai Venue

The Hyundai Venue seemed like the obvious choice for us, and we were impressed with the car. However, the automatic variants at that time did not come with curtain airbags or rear wash & wipe, which were important features for us.

Tata Nexon

While I liked the interior and the dark editions of the Nexon, I wasn't particularly fond of the rear design (no offense). However, the main problem for me was the AMT, which ultimately made it a deal breaker.

Mahindra XUV300

The AMT transmission, along with the limited boot space, was a deal breaker for me. Also, I found the pricing to be high considering it's an AMT.

Kia Sonet

We kept the Venue as our backup option and continued our search. Kia launched the Sonet around that time. After watching a few video reviews, we weren't entirely convinced about the Sonet. It could be the specific color (I saw the gold one), certain design elements, or even the camera angles that didn't quite appeal to us. However, due to my friend's insistence and the availability of all the features we desired in the top variant, we decided to see the car in person and take it for a test drive.

My friend and I visited the dealership and took a test drive, and I must say, I was truly impressed with the driving experience and the overall feel I got from the cabin. Additionally, we saw a black-colored Sonet at the dealership, and I instantly fell in love with it. The design elements that felt odd in the videos didn't seem that way anymore. I'm still unsure if it's because of the overall experience or simply the color that made a difference. I requested another test drive from the dealership, this time asking them to bring the car to our home. I wanted the entire family to have a chance to check it out and test its ride comfort.

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-img_1480_original-large.jpeg

The following day, we received the test-drive car at our home. We test-drove the car on a route having some straight stretches, uphill roads, and sharp turns so that we could test the body roll and the overall comfort.

We were all impressed and immediately decided to book the car.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 4th June 2023 at 22:22.
robincsamuel is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:35   #2
BHPian
 
robincsamuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: KL-03/KA-05
Posts: 202
Thanked: 628 Times
Re: Cruising with the 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT: 2 Years, 15,000 Kms!

Booking & Delivery



The booking process was straightforward. I transferred the booking amount to their bank account and received the confirmation document over email. The sales advisor told me that we would get the car in two months, but it was 12-13 weeks in the booking document. There was an option to track the order on Kia's website but that wasn't working. I kept following up with the SA and finally, the car arrived at the dealership on the 12th week.

First sight,

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-64ae9cca0d38482a8d43d9846129a493_original-2.jpg

The next day, a new rule from the RTO came into effect, that the car could only be delivered after registration and installation of the HSRP. Unfortunately, this caused a delay of nearly two weeks as the dealers and the RTO officials had to use the updated systems and were unfamiliar with the new process. The HSRP also took a couple of days to reach our town.

Delivery

After almost two weeks, the SA contacted me and said the HSRP would reach the next day and the car would be ready for delivery. They got the registration plate by noon and we visited the dealership in the evening to take the delivery. They organized a quick cake-cutting ceremony and formally handed over the car.

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-img_2657_original.jpg

Accessories

The SA shared the list of accessories once the car arrived at the dealership. I selected some basic accessories like carpet mats, a boot mat, splash guards, sill guards, a tissue box, a dustbin, and door edge guards. However, apart from the mats and splash guards, the quality of the other accessories was subpar. The dustbin broke, the glue on the tissue box came off, and the labeling on the sill guards faded away within six months. So, I won't recommend Kia's official accessories to anyone.

Extended Warranty

I opted for the maximum warranty coverage, considering the TGDI engine and the DCT. However, there was a mistake during the selection process. I requested a 5-year limited kilometers package, but they accidentally selected the unlimited one. If Kia introduces a 7-year warranty similar to what Hyundai offers, I would definitely consider opting for it.

A few photos,

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-img_3030_original-large.jpeg
2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-img_2684_original-large.jpeg
2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-img_7902.jpg
2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-38639d021cdb4aeab154927482a3b203.jpg

Last edited by robincsamuel : 4th June 2023 at 22:25.
robincsamuel is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 14:35   #3
BHPian
 
robincsamuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: KL-03/KA-05
Posts: 202
Thanked: 628 Times
Re: Cruising Through 2 Years and 15,000 Kms: My Ownership Experience of the 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT

About the car



The Drive

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-img_7201-large.jpeg

The turbo petrol engine is so much fun, and the DCT transmission shifts fast and smoothly. I really love the quick acceleration. I don't think I would ever choose a naturally aspirated engine again. The car is quick and responsive, making it effortless to overtake, especially on the narrow single-lane roads of Kerala. I never felt the need for paddle shifters because the transmission shifts quicker, and I can always downshift with kick-down. The kick-down response time is also impressive.

Driving below the turbo range can be challenging. The 1.0 engine without the turbo lacks the necessary torque to climb steep grades with ease. The car is powerful when the turbo kicks in, but then it can be difficult to maneuver on narrow uphill roads, especially when there are turns involved. This is something I will keep in mind when I decide to upgrade in the future.

The transmission tends to hold D2 as long as possible, even with no throttle input, and when moving at speeds as low as 5-7 kmph. There have been instances where I had to wait for a moment before it shifted down to first gear, especially when approaching the steep road leading to our home.

The different drive modes really change how the car behaves. I've tried the Eco and Sport modes to see what they do. The Eco mode feels slow and not very responsive, so I don't use it. The Sport mode, on the other hand, is exciting. The throttle input is sharper, the car is more responsive, and it holds the gears for longer. It's like, on normal mode it shifts around 2k rpm, but on sport mode, it shifts between 3-4k rpm.

I find the handling of the car to be decent. It gives me the confidence to navigate corners without feeling like I'll lose control. The car stays stable on highways, even over expansion joints or rumble strips without needing to slow down significantly. The braking performance is also decent, it gives me a sense of control and confidence, regardless of the speed.

The fuel economy of the car highly depends on how one drives and it's very sensitive. Maintaining a consistent speed of 80-90 kmph yields the best fuel efficiency. However, I find this speed range to be quite boring on a highway, and I typically achieve around 14-15 kmpl on highways. I have very less usage in the city, but I often see 8-9 kmpl in Bangalore city. My overall average fuel economy is around 11-12 kmpl.

About the DCT

This is something I extensively researched before making my decision. So far, my experience with the DCT has been good, and I haven't encountered any transmission overheating issues. I do follow the best practices for a DCT transmission, and I've used the car in various conditions, including long periods of bumper-to-bumper traffic, hilly areas with traffic, and my usual routes often include narrow steep grades with sharp turns, where one would typically engage the clutch more frequently. I always shift to N at the traffic signals or when stopping, as recommended, to avoid unwanted pressure on the transmission. I wish Kia had included the transmission temperature gauge, as it would have allowed me to monitor and better understand the transmission.

Comfort

The car is very comfortable, and none of us feel overly tired even after a 600 km drive. We often go on long 12-hour drives from Bangalore to Kerala. Our daughter sits in a child seat in the rear, and she remains comfortable throughout the journey. When we are in Kerala, our parents use the rear seats, and they find it comfortable as well. Both my wife and I find the car very comfortable as we prefer a harder suspension over a floating/soft one. That said, the car is quite bumpy on rough roads. About the seats, they are good, but the thigh support could have been better.

The car's air conditioner is really powerful and can cool down the interior in no time. And, I absolutely love the ventilated seats and can't recommend them enough. The rear A/C vents are decent, but not great.

We all enjoy having the sunroof in our car. While some people may argue that sunroofs are not ideal for India, we love the airy atmosphere it creates. We don't allow anyone to stick their heads out of the sunroof, and we rarely open it fully. However, it's pleasant to remove the blinds and enjoy the open view while driving in the evening, early mornings, or during rain showers. The tilt mode is also helpful to circulate fresh air quietly.

Convenience

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-img_3858-large.jpeg

The wireless charging feature is quite useful. It helps to keep the cabin tidy without any messy wires and is very convenient. Also, there's a reminder when you exit the car to ensure that you don't forget to take your device.

I really like the built-in air purifier with perfume diffuser, mainly because it helps avoid adding another item to the cabin clutter. We prefer to have a neutral scent in the car, and the mild perfume provided is perfect for us. However, finding replacement cartridges can be a bit challenging. I finally managed to get the cartridge last week after trying to find one for an entire year.

The voice recognition feature is the worst I've ever used. It records your voice and sends it to a server for processing and fails most of the time. The ambient lighting in the car isn't very effective, maybe due to its placement. Our daughter would have enjoyed it but she can't really see that from the rear.

The dynamic volume feature is nice, but I think it has a glitch. Instead of adjusting the volume level, it increases the sound as you gain speed while keeping the volume level the same. That is, if the volume is set at level 2, it will get louder as you speed up while the volume remains on level 2. Then, if you want to lower the volume slightly, you need to slow down the car. It would have been better if it changed the volume level instead.

The connected car experience is worth it, and I'll be renewing the subscription. There have been instances where it fails to communicate with the car. I think that happens when there is a network issue or when the car has been inactive for a few days. One thing I frequently use is the remote start. It allows me to cool down the car before getting in when it's parked under the sun. As someone who enjoys tracking and analyzing data, I find it interesting to review the trip history, average speed, distance covered, etc. The ability to check the car's lock status through the app is very helpful for me, as I often have doubts about whether I locked the car or not. The app also allows sending a destination from the phone to the car, and I use that as well. Then there's the alerts feature, but I haven’t used it and probably will never use it.

Kia recently introduced the home-to-car feature, allowing users to control the car from home. It works well with Alexa, but haven't tried it with google assistant yet. While I may not personally use this feature, I am curious to see it in action. However, I have reservations regarding the security and privacy of the connected car feature. I am uncertain about its level of security.

The output from the TPMS and the fuel economy displayed on the MID are very close to being accurate and provide reliable information. One important thing to note is that once a TPMS warning is triggered, you will need to fill up the tyres to at least 35 PSI or higher to reset the warning. I have also experienced a glitch with the "distance to empty" feature once when I forgot to turn off the car before filling the fuel, causing it to not update.

Service Experience



I have had mixed experiences with servicing the car in both Bangalore (JP Nagar) and Kerala (Thiruvalla). While the service advisors are generally approachable and responsive, I have faced situations where they lacked sufficient knowledge or provided conflicting information.

During the first year, my car had very low running and the drives were mostly short with frequent idling. This falls under severe usage according to the owner's manual and it's recommended to change the engine oil at 5000 km. However, the service advisor disagreed with that.

Recently, I noticed an unusual mist formation in the headlamps and checked with the service advisor in Kerala. He said it is normal. I discussed the same issue with the service advisor from Bangalore, he said the headlamp's moisturizer needs to be changed and it is a consumable item.

There were some issues during my latest 2-year service in Kerala. The service team even forgot some basic things like greasing the door hinges. There was a scratch on the rear bumper cover, which occurred when I accidentally scraped it while attempting to reverse. I requested them to replace that and they ended up causing more scratches to the edges and forgot to fix some fastener clips and screws inside. They later came to my home, opened the bumper, and tightened the screws. The next day, I had to visit the service center again as the rear parking sensor went inside the bumper cover, and they had to open up the bumper once again for repairs.

Also, I asked about a fuel additive to minimize the carbon build-up in TGDI engines. The service advisor in Kerala said that our engines do not have such a problem and therefore no need for any additives. When I checked with the executive in Bangalore and shared a relevant section from the owner's manual, he was surprised and asked me from where I got this information.

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-fueladditives.jpeg

I also raised a concern about the over-the-air update, as it wasn't getting completed. The service advisor simply advised me to ignore the issue.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 4th June 2023 at 22:24.
robincsamuel is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 20:21   #4
BHPian
 
robincsamuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: KL-03/KA-05
Posts: 202
Thanked: 628 Times
Re: Cruising with the 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT: 2 Years, 15,000 Kms!

The Ownership Experience



Over the past two years, I have driven the car for 15,000 kms in various conditions, and I must say that the experience has been great. Even after all this time, the car still feels fresh, and we all are extremely satisfied. We believe that the car is a perfect fit for our needs.

Observations from the past two years

• There is no noticeable change in the NVH levels, and I haven't experienced any rattles or creaks in the car. I had doubts about the vibration when idling, but I checked my friend's 2023 model and didn't feel any different.

• The front doors and the hood of the car feel heavy, while the rear doors feel light in comparison. Additionally, there is some flex in the hood and the rear quarter panels.

• I have the stock Apollo Alnac 4Gs tyres on my car, and I would say they are decent. However, I don't feel as comfortable driving on concrete expressways with them.

• The small 3-cylinder engine shows its weakness when slowing down on a steep uphill. It needs a strong push on the gas pedal to pick up from there. I face this often as the road to our home is short, narrow, and steep with a turn. I try to maintain a constant speed in such cases to prevent this problem.

• I'm concerned about potential carbon build-up in TGDI engines and am checking about additives to minimize it. However, the service centers seem unaware of this issue, even though it's mentioned in the owner's manual.

• The prepaid service plan offered by Kia comes with a transfer fee if you want to service your car at a different center. The service advisor initially disagreed about the transfer fee, but It's there in the terms and conditions on the website.

• Contacting Kia Care doesn't provide any additional support beyond connecting you to the nearest dealership.

• The new updates introduced for the car are not compatible with older models. I specifically checked about installing rear sunshades, but it is not feasible.

• While I personally have no issues with visibility, my wife, who is shorter and just starting out, often complains about the visibility due to the high dashboard.

• I find that the horn is not easily accessible. It's not easy to honk without having to take my hands off the steering wheel. Interestingly, during a recent test drive of the Altroz for my friend, I used the horn in the same way as I do in the Sonet. The sales advisor told me it's easier to use the horn pad located near the sides.

• The instrument cluster is clean, readable, and well-organized, without any unnecessary clutter. The only thing I miss is the transmission temperature.

• The instrument cluster shows clear warnings with graphical indications for various situations, such as open doors, trunk, hood, sunroof, and when turning off the car without shifting to P. It also alerts you if there is a device left in the wireless charger.

• The battery discharge warning needs to be taken seriously. I used the cabin lights, fan, and infotainment system for a short time (less than an hour) while cleaning the car, and I had to jump-start the car.

• When the battery was too low to crank the engine, I received an ESC error warning. It is because the system couldn't perform the ESC check due to the low battery. However, a low battery warning would have been more helpful.

• The Bose sound system in the car is decent, but I wouldn't say it is exceptional as often marketed.

• The infotainment system has a clean interface and it is easy to navigate. It also has a lot of customization options. But it's difficult to use the touch screen buttons when the car is moving, even to change the volume by the co-passenger. It would have been more convenient if there was tactile feedback.

• The chrome on the steering volume control started turning black, even though I handle it with care.

• The door windows make a clattering noise when closing the doors with the windows partially rolled down, even if the other window is open. It doesn't bother me much, I see it as a reminder in case I forget to roll up the windows completely.

• The car cannot be locked using the request sensor, and it will not automatically lock if the key fob is inside. It makes a loud beep instead. But, it can still be locked using the other key fob button in such situations.

• The key fob battery lasts approximately around 1.5 years. The instrument cluster shows a "low key battery" warning when the battery is running low.

• After turning off and locking the car, I noticed a very mild, strange buzzing sound. It's similar to the beep it makes when attempting to lock the car with the key inside but very quiet. I think it's a glitch, but the service advisor, as usual, told me it's "normal".

• The remote start feature using the key fob and the Kia Connect app work differently. The remote start feature requires the handbrake to be fully pulled and the car to be on a level surface. However, I noticed that the Kia Connect app's remote start would work even when the key fob remote start couldn't.

• The Kia Connect operations take approximately 10-15 seconds as the request is sent to a server, and then the command is transmitted through the mobile network to the car. And the subsequent operations are much faster than the first one.

• The ability to share the car through Kia Connect allows my wife to control the car from her phone. This feature is especially useful when we're apart and she needs to access the car without having the physical key.

• The over-the-air updates take forever to download, and unfortunately, there is no option to manually trigger the download. The update process starts automatically when the system determines it can download the update. Once the update is downloaded, it will prompt you to install it, which takes ~20 minutes. The infotainment system will be unavailable during the installation. It's best to install the software update when you have a good network connection. I found this out when I installed my first update from the Bandipur forest, where there was no network, and the system couldn't restart until I got to an area with network coverage.

• The rear seat comfortably accommodates two adults and one child. However, during our family trips, we were able to fit three adults in the rear seat comfortably since my family members are relatively short and slim.

• The rear A/C vents are not very powerful, but the overall air conditioning system is quick and efficient.

• The rear armrest got knocked out of place once because the child seat kept pushing it to the side. I had to readjust it and lock it back in position.

• The rear camera occasionally gets mist at the center, causing the center portion to become blurry. This issue has been reported by many owners, and some even got their cameras replaced multiple times.

• I've seen complaints about the claddings getting faded. I don't see a noticeable difference, maybe because it's ceramic-coated and rarely parked open.

• An interesting thing about cruise control is that it maintains the speed even on downhill slopes. However, I've noticed that if I try to adjust the speed to make it slower using the minus button while going downhill, it doesn't seem to make the change immediately.

• I made a note about the rear seat folding straps, and it would have been more convenient if they were buttons instead. Interestingly, they have replaced the straps with buttons in the newer models.

• A loadable roof rail would have been nice.

Additions/Accessories

I prefer to maintain the car in its stock condition and have only added a dashcam. I bought the 70mai A500s dual-channel camera but have currently installed only the front one.

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-photo20230515152744.jpg

I'd like to mention the car cover I got from Coverwell. Their Tyvek cover is lightweight and fits perfectly. Highly recommended!

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-img_2883-large.jpeg

The recently purchased the Graco Extend-Fit child seat for our daughter as she had outgrown her previous one. You can also see the automatic car sunshade fixed on the door pad. Related discussion: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-door-pad.html (Which adhesive tape to stick a heavy accessory to the door pad?)

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-img_9414-large.jpeg

Treatments

I got the car ceramic coated by Esperto, Bangalore, and I must say that I had a fantastic experience with them. They were professional, set clear expectations from the start, and their level of service exceeded my expectations. I am extremely satisfied with the outcome and highly recommend their services.

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-img_7192-large.jpeg

Note: The recommendations above are based on my personal experience and are not affiliated with any of the mentioned brands or products. They are genuine suggestions I wanted to share.

Minor Incidents & disappointing expriences.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with the car. However, there were a few minor incidents that left me disappointed:

1) A refreshed edition was released two weeks after I purchased my car, with a new logo, paddle shifters, and a rear sunshade. I felt disappointed because I had been eagerly looking forward to having a rear sunshade, and it's included in the updated version of the car.

2) I noticed that there was missing paint inside the doors, below the panel. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...low-panel.html (Kia Sonet - Body colour missing inside the door, below the panel)

A couple of photos to conclude

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-dsc_9579-large.jpeg

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-dsc_9877-large.jpeg

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-dsc_0110-large.jpeg

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-dsc0636.jpg

That's all for now. I look forward to continuing this thread and posting updates in the future.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 5th June 2023 at 17:35. Reason: As requested
robincsamuel is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 05:31   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 16,429
Thanked: 71,497 Times
Re: 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 08:16   #6
BHPian
 
nsbhagwat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 409
Thanked: 267 Times
Re: 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the review.
Your point about visibility in post no 4 is very true.
That display sits right in your face. When I test drove the sonet, that display was obstructing my ability to have a clear view ahead.
Raising the seat height to its maximum wasn't much helpful either.

Result - sonet was struck off the list due to the visibility issue.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 11:01   #7
BHPian
 
robincsamuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: KL-03/KA-05
Posts: 202
Thanked: 628 Times
Re: 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
Raising the seat height to its maximum wasn't much helpful either.
Thanks for pointing that out, Nikhil. I wanted to mention that but I missed it. I was under the impression that the seat height adjustment will help a short person, but it depends on other factors like the body type and the overall seating setup.

In our case, increasing the seat height for better visibility actually made it difficult to access the pedals. It'll only help someone who has long legs but a short torso.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 5th June 2023 at 11:06. Reason: Rephrased for better clarity
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 12:33   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Melbourne, AUS
Posts: 3
Thanked: Once
Re: 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!

Thank you, Robin! I found your review and pictures of the drive-in beach highly enjoyable.
ImranKhan1220 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 16:53   #9
BHPian
 
wadewilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: India
Posts: 295
Thanked: 736 Times
Re: 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!

This was such a good read especially considering that we are also planning to get the Sonet. Just a question regarding the Headlamps:

1. Does the GTX+ not get even cornering lamps or a cooled glovebox? This is surprising considering that the car is otherwise so well equipped.
wadewilson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 17:41   #10
BHPian
 
robincsamuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: KL-03/KA-05
Posts: 202
Thanked: 628 Times
Re: 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Does the GTX+ not get even cornering lamps or a cooled glovebox?
No, none of the variants have cornering lamps or a cooled glovebox. I hope they add these features in the next iteration.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 5th June 2023 at 17:54. Reason: Rephrased
robincsamuel is offline  
Old 5th June 2023, 19:34   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: MH43,KL07
Posts: 37
Thanked: 40 Times
Re: 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!

Thanks for the review. I too own a KIA Sonet GTX+ DCT, which is almost same age and mileage of yours, except that I got the updated version with rear sun blinds and new KIA logo.

On the points reviewed, I couldn't agree more! Your review perfectly captures my own thoughts and experiences with the car. It's great to know that someone else had a similar impression.

Can you let me know, from where you managed the replacement cartridge for air purifier?
Ethnicul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 23:06   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 57
Thanked: 56 Times
Re: Cruising with the 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT: 2 Years, 15,000 Kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post

The Ownership Experience



That's all for now. I look forward to continuing this thread and posting updates in the future.
A beautifully penned experience.
Sonet really is beast. I too did find the issue of climbing on slopes, however I got the paddle shifters so can downshift and get some traction off.
ArijitGupte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 00:00   #13
BHPian
 
robincsamuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: KL-03/KA-05
Posts: 202
Thanked: 628 Times
Re: 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethnicul View Post
Can you let me know, from where you managed the replacement cartridge for air purifier?
I got the cartridge from Incheon Kia, Kottayam, and it cost me Rs.580. I read somewhere that there are three scents available, forest, ocean, and lavender. And the factory-fitted one is forest. They only had the ocean scent available, and therefore no option to choose. It's a cool neutral scent, but I personally liked the forest one better.

Here's a photo of the cartridge, please note there are two packets in this photo.

2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!-photo20230521193926.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArijitGupte View Post
I too did find the issue of climbing on slopes, however I got the paddle shifters so can downshift and get some traction off.
I too downshift manually when I approach the road to our home. If not, I sometimes experience a wheel spin. So, I always make sure I'm climbing on D1, at a consistent speed. It doesn't bother me as I anyways have to stop before getting onto this road to make sure it's safe.
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 00:33   #14
BHPian
 
Rambo-RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Patiala
Posts: 78
Thanked: 685 Times
Re: Cruising with the 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT: 2 Years, 15,000 Kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Also, I asked about a fuel additive to minimize the carbon build-up in TGDI engines. The service advisor in Kerala said that our engines do not have such a problem and therefore no need for any additives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
I'm concerned about potential carbon build-up in TGDI engines and am checking about additives to minimize it. However, the service centers seem unaware of this issue, even though it's mentioned in the owner's manual.
In a similar situation man! This carbon build-up issue in GDI cars is something only geeky enthusiasts know about. An average Indian Car Buyer has no idea as to what Port Injection and Direct Injection are, and what they are signing up for.

I own a Kushaq 1.0 TSI and since 1 year of my ownership, whenever I have asked the Service Advisor or the technician there at Skoda, they literally have no clue as to how this might be an issue. I have personally gone through their official service manuals of Kushaq 1.0 TSI that they agreed to share with me and there was no mention of this issue let alone any steps to reduce it.

Even famous tuners or so-called Car YouTubers never talk about this stuff. I think the only thing we can do to delay this would be to use top-tier fuel for as frequently as possible, use top-quality engine oils meeting at least SN Plus API standards with the lowest NOACK value, and minimize the engine idling as long as possible.
Rambo-RS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 15:24   #15
BHPian
 
Himalayan_Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 114
Thanked: 1,304 Times
Re: 2021 Kia Sonet GTX+ DCT | Ownership Review | Cruising for 2 Years, 15,000 kms!

Excellent ownership experience post in terms of detail and flow. Loved the pictures as well. Thank you!

I currently use a 2016 Brezza ZDI+ and some of the places I go have steep enough inclines mated to sharp curves that there's a need to rev the engine to get the turbo going. Or risk rolling back into the jungle. So the aspect of sluggishness at lower revs is a bit concerning given that it's an AT and I cannot release the clutch only when revs get high enough.

But that's a 88.5 (breeza) vs 118 horses (Sonet). I am assuming the torque figures don't matter in such a scenario till the turbo kicks in? (I know nothing of these things.)

Guess I'll have someone stand next to the car placing stones to keep it from rolling back.
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks