Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2007, 19:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nice test drive report. However its not surprising that the 523 will smoke the E200 Kompressor at every light, given the actual engine displacement of each car. A BMW is all that more special, an Audi of the same category will have more speciality in the coming years.
Old 7th August 2007, 20:00   #17
Team-BHP Support

Nice write-up!

Sure the ride quality is better than the Mercs?
Old 7th August 2007, 21:24   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Nice write-up!

Sure the ride quality is better than the Mercs?
Yes. Well, i drove it around BKC for the most part which has very good roads and took it on some of its back roads which have a couple of potholes. But i cannot say i did a rigorous test on bad roads so i might be wrong. For the most part i felt the ride quality was better than the C or E-class.

I forgot to mention that the music system did not sound as good as the E-class. I only heard the radio as there was no CD but i couldnt feel much punch or anything special belting out from those speakers.

Last edited by Sahil : 7th August 2007 at 21:28.
Old 7th August 2007, 22:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Sahil.

What i cant understand why do all these cars come with Auto tranny, come on give us Manuals.
Old 9th August 2007, 16:47   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Round 2: 525i Tested

Alright, round 2 of the BMW 5 series test line-up.

Since the 523i and 525i are primarily the same cars, i will stick on highlighting the main difference between the two- the Performance!

The minute i set my foot lightly on the accelerator i knew this engine is a different ball game all together. The smooth power delivery and refinement of the 525i makes it feel light-years ahead of its younger sibling.
Throw it into sports mode and your adrenaline rushes instantly, the rev-happy engine unleashed the true BMW engine note distinctly at high rpms, which was not evident in the 523i.
The power band is pretty well distributed, the car pulls away effortlessly and does not make you feel like it is running out of steam at any point.
Engine felt very smooth too, tho i must add that this version was the pre-facelift import.

Besides the engine, this car boosted a few more features such as sun-roof,TV and cruise control which were absent in the 523i. Although i did not use the cruise control, i was very impressed with the TV clarity, DD news was crystal clear. As soon as the car is in motion the TV shuts off and switches back on when the car comes to a halt. Pretty useful in Bombay as you could actually watch an entire show in our bumper to bumper traffic.

An interesting feature pointed out to me was that the car applies only the rear brakes in slow traffic to avoid braking jerks. Also, there is a brake drying system which switches on when the wipers are turned on to enable better braking in monsoons.

Conclusion: Booked the 525d
Unfortunatly delivery will only be in OCT...Sept end if i am very lucky!

Mod:Can u please add 525i to the thread title.

Last edited by Sahil : 9th August 2007 at 16:51.
Old 9th August 2007, 16:52   #21
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Sahil! Great choice! The number of 5 series sure are increasing. Yesterday on my commute back, I saw 5 of them within the 6 km stretch itself. Mercedes sure has a fight on their hands.
Old 9th August 2007, 17:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Are the 523 and 525 just 200 cc apart or is it that they are also from totally different engine family. 525 sold here is the 3 liter N-series engine with single stage intake.
Old 9th August 2007, 18:17   #23
Team-BHP Support

I think they are the same engine but with different ECU maps to vary the HP figures. Sort of like the E270/280 from Mercedes or the Skoda/Audi 1.8TPI producing 150 or 180 HP.
Old 10th August 2007, 11:15   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Conclusion: Booked the 525d
Sweet! After testing both the petrols, you go ahead and book the diesel? Nothing beats German diesel engines....very good choice. The 525 was once the fastest diesel sedan in the world. Did you test it too?

@Mpower & Rtech : Yup, they have the same engine but different mapping. The 523 churns out 177 BHP and the 525 has 215 horses. The 525D has 197 BHP.
Old 10th August 2007, 12:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sahil! Looking forward to a nice report when you get the delivery!

P.S. What colour, interiors & wheels? Black with 17/18" looks fantastic or for that matter any dark colour with big wheels really goes well with Bangle designs!
Old 10th August 2007, 12:28   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO: No 525d test drive cars available with any of the dealers. Just booked it with my blind belief in German diesel...My dad and me need to shuttle between bombay-pune a couple of times a month so a diesel is a no-brainer.

@iraghava: White is a favourite in the family and since white is not available in the 5, the silver it is! Choose grey interiors coz it matched well with the silver test drive car that i got, besides most of my other cars have biege interiors so grey is a good chance from the conventional.
The 525d comes with the standard multispoke radial 17inchers, similar to the M5 design if i may say so They look pretty good actually...putting 18inchers will hinder my ride comfort and thats a strict no-no. Will consider some other design 17inchers closer to the time of delivery if need be.
Old 10th August 2007, 12:46   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Choose grey interiors coz it matched well with the silver test drive car that i got, besides most of my other cars have biege interiors so grey is a good chance from the conventional.
Great choice! Silver and beige dont really match. On the other hand, silver with black / grey looks great!

Quote:
White is a favourite in the family and since white is not available in the 5, the silver it is!
Another reason to opt for the 5 with the M!! Its available in white too!
Old 10th August 2007, 13:30   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO- I told you, you wire me the Ms for the M and i will buy it tomo itself! White with red interiors or whatever you might like
Black interior would definatly match well with silver but they make the interiors look very cramped. The grey is pretty light, give a classy and spacious look to the interior.
Old 10th August 2007, 17:00   #29
BANNED

Congrats Sahil!
We are waiting to see the car here soon.

BMW diesels are very fine, Fun to drive and also has some eye popping power delivery!
Old 10th August 2007, 19:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Whats the $$$ damage. Someone mentioned that A6 is costing more than E280D. Should be in the 50L range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks