Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2006, 15:19   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini
Baby Hindustan was the Morris Minor. Didnt know it came in a convertible though. Interesting.
Yes it was the Minor. It was made by HM hence the name Baby Hindustan and no I dont think it came as a convertible. it had a "4 on the floor" though. The Morris Oxford was the Ambassador - I remember atleast one version with a floor shift.

Rudra would be your best bet for more info. he still has an "Amby".

Last edited by navin : 19th October 2006 at 15:23.
Old 19th October 2006, 17:20   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Yes it was the Minor. It was made by HM hence the name Baby Hindustan and no I dont think it came as a convertible. it had a "4 on the floor" though. The Morris Oxford was the Ambassador - I remember atleast one version with a floor shift.

Rudra would be your best bet for more info. he still has an "Amby".
I don't think the Baby hindustan was the Morris Minor. The Baby was much bigger than the Minor.
Old 19th October 2006, 17:32   #78
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, Let stick back to the topic.
Old 30th October 2006, 14:22   #79
BANNED

I'm convinced the San Storm guys have paid BS Motoring off. Just read their website and they've put this ugly bucket in the same league as the Gypsy King and VW Beetle (and Reva, I'm sure there's some more BS going on there too)!

Sample these gems:

"San Storm
I have been driving one over the last few weeks and I can tell you that it is one hell of a celebration in itself. To begin with, it is only marginally bigger than my son’s Hotwheels models, is a convertible and what’s more, it’s painted yellow. The example I drove had done duty as a test mule yet the fibreglass body still looked brilliant. Alright, it rattles a bit, more so with the hood down, but all that noise gets submerged in the rorty exhaust note. Despite an anaemic motor from Renault powering it, the Storm has power-to-weight ratio working to its advantage – and that translates to good fun. A great second car to cheer up the lazy Saturday morning commute and to do the school run every morning. And smiles are guaranteed everywhere when you are driving one – on the faces of people on the road and very much on your own face."

http://bsmotoring.com/bsm/wcms/en/ho...8796B0FB89FF9F

Dunno about you guys, but methinks the BS doesn't stand for Business Standard anymore (or Boom Shiva for that matter! )
Old 30th October 2006, 14:27   #80
Senior - BHPian

Boom

I think the test mule which he is mentioning is the same one I and GTO drove. Heck that was a wreck plu the paint had bubbles on it. Its the worst car I have ever driven
Old 30th October 2006, 14:37   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BSMotoring still aint learning. But did you notice how the other magazines started talking about the poor build quality after Team-BHP reported on the same.

Prior to that, no one really heard about the pathetic build quality of the San Storm.
Old 30th October 2006, 14:44   #82
Senior - BHPian

The test drive by GTO and Dippy was about two years back,maybe something miraculous happened with the San Storm in these two years.
Old 30th October 2006, 14:44   #83
Senior - BHPian

TopGear seems to have it as their long term test car. They seem to be enjoying their ride. Apparently this example has run in more than a lakh of kilometers and has its own idiosyncrancies.

Infact, I have never seen this car till now.
Old 30th October 2006, 21:19   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And smiles are guaranteed everywhere when you are driving one – on the faces of people on the road and very much on your own face."
Smiles or laugh?? People will be making fun of anyone who will turn up in a Storm..[Pun Intended]

Quote:
Tell me, when was the last time your average Indo-Jap-Korean-European car gave up the ghost on you? When was the last time you actually opened the bonnet of a car to see whether it really had an engine under it?
I am sure most of the bhpians look under the hood and make full use of the DOHCs..

Last edited by BUSA : 30th October 2006 at 21:21.
Old 10th November 2006, 10:34   #85
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Dunno about you guys, but methinks the BS doesn't stand for Business Standard anymore (or Boom Shiva for that matter! )
after reading that....i think it stands for Bull Shyt Motoring !!
Old 17th June 2008, 20:22   #86
BHPian

Does any Team-BHPian in Pune or Mumbai own this car? Am curious....
Old 18th June 2008, 19:39   #87
BHPian

yup TG had a yellow san storm mostly driven by BOB (TG ex editor) , there are some in delhi , including a red one , it need a more powerful engine not a hair dryer motor .
Old 19th June 2008, 10:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

Near my house, there are 2 sans, one red and one yeallow and I doubt both belongs to the same person..
Old 19th June 2008, 14:24   #89
Senior - BHPian

lol i am sure they would belong to the dealer who had ordered 2 cars to sell
Old 28th November 2009, 23:58   #90
BHPian

Guys need your suggestion and advice regarding the modification of a San Storm

one of my distant relative has got hold of a San Storm for cheap. Its in a bad shape & We are planning to get the complete overhaul done ourselves (including the body work and paint job). I have read all the reviews that have been done in 2004 about the Storm and have read all the various threads that have discussed about the San Storm.

I agree that none of the members of T-bhp recommend the San Strom. I also have test driven the vehicle myself a few years ago and know about the fit and finish and the engine of the Storm.

Since the complete overhaul is being done by us, we can select what goes into the car and what doesnt. Considering that the vehicle is a scrap, I am planning to give Life to a new Storm, in such a way that has not been done yet. But due to the lack of technical knowledge, i want to know from all of you a few details:

1. I am planning to go in for an engine which is descent enough to use the car for daily purpose. which engine do you guys suggest? a simple diesel engine that comes in an i10 or a ritz or a swift is more than enough.
Now, the main question is, is such an engine transplant possible? If yes, how do i get hold of a brand new engine? is there anyone in T-BHP who can help me get a brand new engine and a matching gear box? if yes, whats the cost involved? (just like GTO got a Bolero engine for his Classic overhaul) I am even ready to use high power petrol engines like the 1.6 palio engine, or the baleno engine or even the slightly less powered 1.3 rocam engine of the Ikon.

2.what else do i need to change in the vehicle? brakes? suspension? please let me know.

The intension is to make a problem-free vehicle which can be easily serviced (preferrably a maruti derived engine would be great).

Guys, i have found this thread after searching a lot for it and i want you all to
Please give your valuable suggestion and advice. (Positive or negative - both willl be appreciated!) I hope T-BHP will help me do something to the Storm, that even San motors has Failed to this Date!!

Most Viewed