Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 13:32   #91
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn317 View Post
Its in a bad shape & We are planning to get the complete overhaul done ourselves (including the body work and paint job).
Come to think of it, the San Storm can make an interesting rebuild project. If you got one cheap

Quote:
I am planning to go in for an engine which is descent enough to use the car for daily purpose.
IIRC, the Storm has a pretty compact engine bay. Your best bet would be a Jap high-revving engine. Esteem 1.3 MPFi or a Honda 100 BHP 1.5 would serve you well.

Quote:
Now, the main question is, is such an engine transplant possible?
Be prepared for a lot of work. First, if the engine fits, then the gearbox and drivetrain.

Quote:
If yes, how do i get hold of a brand new engine?
Go used. Will save a lot of $$$. Modern mpfi / turbo engines go well over 2.0 lakh rupees for a brand new example.

Quote:
The intension is to make a problem-free vehicle
Don't mean to dampen your spirits, but such a project will be trial & error. Hence, you will have to continuously revisit the car for some tinkering or the other.
Old 30th November 2009, 14:56   #92
BHPian

the pictures on the first page of this thread are not to be seen !! or is it only me ?

instead of the pictures I see some thumbnail with a URL. And if I click on it I see everything except a san storm !!
Old 30th November 2009, 19:25   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
the pictures on the first page of this thread are not to be seen !! or is it only me ?

instead of the pictures I see some thumbnail with a URL. And if I click on it I see everything except a san storm !!
That's precisely why we enabled the attachment system (loading pictures onto our server). External picture hosting leads to the files expiring after some time (amongst other issues)!
Old 1st December 2009, 19:43   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Come to think of it, the San Storm can make an interesting rebuild project. If you got one cheap
Ya.. well said GTO, it will be hell of a project. I think i will go for it. But need a lot of help from the guys here.

Quote:
IIRC, the Storm has a pretty compact engine bay. Your best bet would be a Jap high-revving engine. Esteem 1.3 MPFi or a Honda 100 BHP 1.5 would serve you well.
Quote:
Go used. Will save a lot of $$$. Modern mpfi / turbo engines go well over 2.0 lakh rupees for a brand new example.
If i go for this project, i will surely use this vehicle for a long long time. Hence will prefer to go for a brand new engine. But the problem is, i dont know how to procure a new engine and whom to contact for all this. What should be my 1st step now? I still didnt get hold of the san storm. Am actually planning a lot before beginning this project. I have got cash. Cash isnt a problem. i prefer a maruti engine and all maruti parts because of the wonderul after sale service they provide.

Quote:
Be prepared for a lot of work. First, if the engine fits, then the gearbox and drivetrain.
Yup all prepared (but only mentally!!)

what if i go in for all maruti parts?? i mean gearbox, drive train etc. what i mean to say is, the car will be a maruti from the inside with a body of a San Storm. Will the Road Transport Rules allow me to make such a conversion???

Quote:
Don't mean to dampen your spirits, but such a project will be trial & error. Hence, you will have to continuously revisit the car for some tinkering or the other.

Ya, thats the reason i prefer all Maruti parts and service.

Last but not the least, anyone who has time and interest, Please do help me. I am quite serious about this project. my 1st work is to plan everything, enquire about every essential matter and then if & when i see light at the end of the tunnel, i shall start the project. I dont wanna start with the project and end up getting stuck in the middle.
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:41   #95
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn317 View Post
But the problem is, i dont know how to procure a new engine and whom to contact for all this. What should be my 1st step now?
Your local maruti dealership will be able to source a brand new engine for you.
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:42   #96
BHPian

Now, the main concern is, will the RTO permit such a conversion?? What are the problems involved in this conversion regarding the legality of the car?? Can somebody explain in detail??
Old 26th November 2010, 21:21   #97
BHPian

Re-activating a super old thread!
I was browsing Sports cars by country and came across the San Storm. A search pointed me to this thread. However, I am unable to view the pictures, as the browser states teh image does not exist. So this request is basically to the MODS.

REQUEST TO MODS: Could you please upload the pics at the start of this thread where Dippy and GTO went for the test drive. I would like to see the inferior quality interiors for myself. Please!

Regards,
Rohan
Old 27th November 2010, 13:16   #98
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rjalihal, sorry about that, but it's exactly the reason why we have made it compulsory to upload thread pictures via the forum attachment system. Back when this thread was created, Team-BHP used free picture hosting solutions. Inevitably, after a while, the picture validity expires.

I've PM'ed Dippy to check if he still has the San Storm pictures on his hard disk. If so, they'll be uploaded.
Old 16th March 2011, 17:46   #99
BHPian

Re: Test Driven : San Storm

Quote:
I've PM'ed Dippy to check if he still has the San Storm pictures on his hard disk. If so, they'll be uploaded.
So can we conclude by saying that those pictures are gone

I would have loved to see them, Dippy You there?
Old 11th April 2011, 12:05   #100
Senior - BHPian

A few old pictures have been added to the opening post which originally existed in this thread but vanished over time.
Stratos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 11:42   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this forgotten thing in the by-lanes of Mahalaxmi. Surprisingly, this one still runs!
Attached Thumbnails
Test Driven : San Storm-20180315_085915.jpg  

Test Driven : San Storm-20180315_085919.jpg  

///RMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 14:22   #102
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe this this car is a goner now. Seems to have been abandoned now.

Also saw 2 brand new unregistered San Storms today. Probably unsold inventory / stock that was bought by someone - just like the Rover Montego's (10-12 Brand new Rover Montego 2.0 DLX for sale. Price 3.95 lakhs. Make : 1994).
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 03:22   #103
BHPian

Nice to see a well-maintained example on road (DL regd).

Also surprised to see that SAN Motors website (Link) is still fully functional and in the original 800 x 600 resolution!

Test Driven : San Storm-img20190205wa0001.jpg

Test Driven : San Storm-img20190205wa0002.jpg
Senna4Ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 23:41   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I believe this this car is a goner now. Seems to have been abandoned now.

Also saw 2 brand new unregistered San Storms today. Probably unsold inventory / stock that was bought by someone - just like the Rover Montego's (10-12 Brand new Rover Montego 2.0 DLX for sale. Price 3.95 lakhs. Make : 1994).
Where was this if I may ask?

Is the unsold stock still available with a dealer you mean?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks