Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2007, 14:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Its horribly overpriced, the wheelbase is same as Santro, the weight is almost the same as Santro, the engine is same as santro with some tweaks, alas its a santro with clothes changed. Boooooo...........
Can we compare the santro engine with this engine? Santro is 3 cylinder this is 4 cylinder ( Has to be euro 4 as they are going to export it)

I feel this is definitely not a tweaked santro engine.

TD will test us the answers.

One thing I noticed that getting in and out of car is LITTLE difficult than santo. They should have added fog lights in magna. Rest all the things are present..

Interiors are definitely loooot above santro.

I compared santro i10 verna interiors in the showroom 5-10 mins per car.

Now Santro interiors start's feeling cheap

Verna is good , i10 is the slightly better than verna...

Now we have to see what happens to wagonr price as the santro prices are dropped..

Last edited by hrishig : 1st November 2007 at 14:03.
Old 1st November 2007, 14:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Can we compare the santro engine with this engine? Santro is 3 cylinder this is 4 cylinder ( Has to be euro 4 as they are going to export it)

TD will test us the answers.
Dude, Santro engine was always 4 cylinder, right from the outset.

Quote:
Interiors are definitely loooot above santro.

I compared santro i10 verna interiors in the showroom 5-10 mins per car.

Now Santro interiors start's feeling cheap
They better be, else how do you justify the price difference.

Quote:
Verna is good , i10 is the slightly better than verna...
Are you talking about interiors???
Old 1st November 2007, 14:16   #18
BHPian

Yup seems my mistake Santro is 4 cylinder...

Are you talking about interiors???

Yes I was talking about the interiors of the cars
Old 1st November 2007, 14:31   #19
BHPian

Did anybody got info on automatic version?
Old 1st November 2007, 14:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Do you mean to say Santro has 3 valve per cylinder and i10 has 4 valves per cylinder ?
Old 1st November 2007, 15:12   #21
BHPian

Here comes the first TD

All right folks. I got a chance to TD i10 and can hopefully answer many questions now !! I called the salesperson (Mr. Anurag) around 11 am asking if a TD can be arranged now and he answered in affirmative! So off I flew to Nimbus and here is the TD experience.

I got a yellow colour i10 Magna (without optional) with 'Test Drive' painted all over it.

SETTLING UP :The first thing I noticed (which I did not notice yesterday) was that the seat was positioned quite high like Santro providing very good visibility. I did notice the puny tyres and decided to test them out while on TD. I cranked the engine and the car came to life. I sounded the horn to warn a ricksha-wallah and quite liked its sound. Sort of peppy. Its a dual tone one.

OFF WE GO : I put the first gear and the car pulled effortlessly. The Nimbus guy had already switched on the A/C but the car showed no signs of strain. I had to wait before pushing the car since there was a traffic jam outside. Once I was on an open stretch, I raced the engine in 2nd gear and the acceleration was good but not great. I tried the brakes.

Brakes are not feather touch but average.

My one dissapointment was the tyres. Once I braked hard from a speed of 80kmph and the tyres squeaked and the car skidded horribly to one side. Pathetic. Tyre upgrade or ABS is a must on this car.

Even though I haven't driven Santro much and can't compare the engine with that, I liked it. It pulled easily in 2nd gear at very low speeds with A/C on.

I had no problems changing the gear stick. In fact I kind of liked that positioning. However, the gears seemed a bit noisy while changing. Myabe I was not used to that positioning, I don't know. Overall, the gear shift was good.

The best thing I liked about this car was the A/C. The car cooled rapidly with cold air coming from those huge vents. My fingers were frozen when we came back from the TD. Airconditioning gets 10 out of 10 points.
EPS was also very good. Light as a feather and very accurate.

All in all here is a list of the likes and dislikes :

1. Like I said before, very good interiors.
2. Extremely effective A/c. Delhi heat is no problem with this car.
3. Very effective Steering system
4. The speedometer dial has green color backlight as in the pics (but only in Magna)
5. Nice engine.
6. Good seat positioning

Dislikes
========
1. Poor tyres. Upgrade is a must.
2. The speedometer dial does NOT look too great. Funny colour combinations used.

If Hyundai comes up with the right pricing strategy, this car will surely be a winner !!!

Last edited by shobhit15 : 1st November 2007 at 15:20.
Old 1st November 2007, 15:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit15 View Post
1. Like I said before, very good interiors.
2. Extremely effective A/c. Delhi heat is no problem with this car.
3. Very effective Steering system
4. The speedometer dial has green color backlight as in the pics (but only in Magna)
5. Nice engine.
6. Good seat positioning

Dislikes
========
1. Poor tyres. Upgrade is a must.
2. The speedometer dial does NOT look too great. Funny colour combinations used.

If Hyundai comes up with the right pricing strategy, this car will surely be a winner !!!

ANother first!! Good report Shobhit!

Did u try the rear seat? how about legroom both upfront and rear. ALso apart from the tyres..did u feel the Santro /Wagon R type Body roll??

Elito
Old 1st November 2007, 15:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
ANother first!! Good report Shobhit!

Did u try the rear seat? how about legroom both upfront and rear. ALso apart from the tyres..did u feel the Santro /Wagon R type Body roll??

Elito
Yes I tried the rear seat. Space seems adequate (atleast for my 5'11'' frame). Legroom is good both front and rear.

I think there was some rolling but it was slight. Actually I was a bit afraid going through a curve and hence slowed down. Maybe it was the sight of those thin tyres at the start.
Old 1st November 2007, 15:59   #24
BHPian

[quote=shobhit15;613545]

Brakes are not feather touch but average.

My one dissapointment was the tyres. Once I braked hard from a speed of 80kmph and the tyres squeaked and the car skidded horribly to one side. Pathetic. Tyre upgrade or ABS is a must on this car.

[quote]

The first i10 test drive! Great going team-bhp.

The above point is more than a bit of ouch! Expected better
Old 1st November 2007, 16:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thats good first impression, Price available only in New Delhi as of now, once launched in other cities like bangalore prices will be revealed.

In Bangalore Magna Optional (abs, airbag) with sunroof is supposed to cost 5.6lakhs on road which is good pricing considerring all the modern features.

Magna without optional pack is perfect city car costing 4 lac ex showroom.

In bangalore on road price might be around 4.6 lacs for Magna which is same as Santro Xing XS in 2004.

Automatic version of i10 will come in 2 grades (Era and Magna) according to Hyundai, now we are curious to know if they provide AT with Magna optional pack with Sunroof? If so it would cost just over 6 lacs on road in Bangalore! they are yet to reveal any info about AT version of i10.

Car is neither overpriced nor cheap, but Its good buy. the reasons:

1. Its fresh.
2. many features first in its class.
3. New refined engine.
4. Class leading Interior (8lac+ segment)
5. 4 lac ex shoowroom price (magna) comes with same + more features of other cars like Santro Xing XS(discontinued long time back it was 4 lac ex showroom), ZEN Estilo VXI(3.75 lac ex showroom), WagonR VXI(3.75lac ex showroom), Spark Lt ( 3.89lac ) , Swift VXI (4.27lac ex show room). since i10 is new platform its price point is justified. all ex show room price in bangalore and please note that i10 is not launched in bangalore yet so i assume its priced 4 lac. ex showroom magna grade in bangalore which will be just 5000/- more or less than 4 lac.

so even considerring price point i10 is not overpriced and not cheap

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 1st November 2007 at 16:23.
Old 1st November 2007, 16:23   #26
BHPian

great review Shobit!
I guess the fully loaded version Magna-O (without sunroof) would come to about 5.30 lacs while a fully loaded U-VA LT is around 5.21 lacs (delhi price with tax,RTO, insurance included).But it would cost extra to get the ABS and there isn't a provision for airbags. Swift Vxi (with ABS ) would be less expensive.
Does seem like the i10 is a bit pricey. Some news articles also mentioned that i10 would come out with a more powerful (80bhp) petrol engine later and automatic transmission.
Old 1st November 2007, 16:24   #27
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
The best thing I liked about this car was the A/C. The car cooled rapidly with cold air coming from those huge vents. My fingers were frozen when we came back from the TD. Airconditioning gets 10 out of 10 points.
Ah but dont forget that its November already. Any AC should cool pretty well in this weather. A realistic assessment of the AC can only be done once the Delhi summers arrive.

However, loved your review. Yes this car surely does look a winner. Did they say anything about the A/T BTW?
Old 1st November 2007, 16:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Ah but dont forget that its November already. Any AC should cool pretty well in this weather. A realistic assessment of the AC can only be done once the Delhi summers arrive.
Yes that is correct. However from my previous TD experiences of Spark and U-va (both in Oct end), i10's A/C was much superior. The air coming out was really cold, whereas in Spark it was just cool but not cold enough. I felt it almost as good as my Baleno. I kept the blower at lowest speed and the cabin was perfectly silent and comfortably cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Did they say anything about the A/T BTW?
Sorry, I did not ask

EDIT : One thing I forgot to mention in the review is that the central locking is on all 5 doors (includes boot) and not only on 4 doors. So if you push the lock on the driver's side, the boot also gets locked / unlocked along with all the doors.

Last edited by shobhit15 : 1st November 2007 at 16:39.
Old 1st November 2007, 16:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude, Its the weather... cant really say how will it perform in delhi summers.
Old 1st November 2007, 17:00   #30
BHPian

Happened to pass by the new Trident Hyundai showroom (next to AutomartIndia) near Agara lake. Saw an i10 parked in there. Being a holiday on account of Karnataka Rajyotsava, there were no sales guys around. The car came in yesterday night and the security allowed a closer look of the outsides (he did not have the keys).

I must say, it is a stunner..! Bigger than Santro, but smaller than Getz. The interior looked a generation ahead of Santro; better than Swift and even Getz. Both internal & external fit & finish looked good.

Should find enough takers if priced 50-60K more than the corresponding (or near about) Santro variants. Snap attached, courtesy my aging mobile.

[img=http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8010/i10tridenthyundaiblrcq3.th.jpg]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks