Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2008, 23:43   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

The good part is ive read somewhere that the engine originally was a 140bhp engine was just detuned because mahindra guys thought the gearbox wont be able to handle the extra power,so with some amends to ECU the engine can put out reliable 140 horses.
Old 9th January 2008, 20:56   #47
BHPian

The Car Mags put the acceleration of the Mhawk better than the Safari. Check the numbers yourself.

Safari is better value for money rupee on rupee, compared to the Mhawk.
Old 10th January 2008, 09:10   #48
BHPian

Yes,but you probably haven't noticed that ACI has tested the Scorpio 2WD(0-100 in 14.88 secs),but the Safari they have tested is the 4WD(0-100 in 15.16 secs).
Safari 2WD curb weight : 2170 kgs.
Safari 4WD curb weight : 2040 kgs.
There is a not so subtle weight difference of 130 Kgs. between the two.I'm absolutely positive that the 2WD Safari is quicker by a second than the 4WD version,which in fact would make it quicker than the Scorpio.
Old 10th January 2008, 09:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

I saw one of them mHawks going for delivery, had the ribbon et all... i took a few pictures.

The only question I had was - what is the set of lights on the inside RVM?

and no.. its not a reflection of something behind him, it was very bright like a sort of display- is it the digital clock or something?

Last edited by madan80 : 10th January 2008 at 09:41.
Old 10th January 2008, 11:59   #50
BHPian

The display is for the "Intellipark" and warning system. The E-brouchure on :: Welcome to Mahindra Scorpio :: gives the details.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The good part is ive read somewhere that the engine originally was a 140bhp engine was just detuned because mahindra guys thought the gearbox wont be able to handle the extra power,so with some amends to ECU the engine can put out reliable 140 horses.
There was an issue of FE...which is a major point in the Indian market...so the BHP was reduced to 120...
Old 10th January 2008, 17:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

dockap, you seem to have missed out on something. the new engine is technologically very advanced and hence expensive. an inside source from mahindra who is incidentally my friend tells me the older CRDe engine would cost mahindra 1 lakh to manufacture whereas the new 2.2 mHawk engine costs them about 2 lakhs to manufacture.
so there itself you see a price hike of a lakh for mahindra. moreover they have retuned the suspension and included all these features for a price hike of 90,000 which does not cover even the engine price for mahindra!!!
Old 10th January 2008, 23:10   #53
BHPian

I really wish they would cut down on all the bells n whistles. I personally dont fancy automatic wipers and headlamps. That should bring the cost down a bit. At this price, the Scorpio feels expensive and enters into territory not of the vehicles class. It clearly feels overpriced for what it offers.
Not providing Airbags and still charging so much... crazy.
Old 11th January 2008, 09:49   #54
NIP
Senior - BHPian

a scaled down no-frills 4x4 variant is whats required. just the basics like power steering + windows and AC will do. i'm speaking for myself here.
Old 11th January 2008, 09:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
The display is for the "Intellipark" and warning system. The E-brouchure on :: Welcome to Mahindra Scorpio :: gives the details.
Thanks for the info... was really intrigued with that!!
Old 11th January 2008, 09:58   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
a scaled down no-frills 4x4 variant is whats required. just the basics like power steering + windows and AC will do. i'm speaking for myself here.
Absolutely. Fits the image of a Scorpio too. Too much make-up makes it "girlie". Hehe. And M&M is putting in things without thought. Just for the sake of looking cool. But then again, I guess some buyers would like that. I don't.
Old 11th January 2008, 10:05   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibzez View Post
I really wish they would cut down on all the bells n whistles. I personally dont fancy automatic wipers and headlamps.

Couldn't agree more. I don't see why the new engine should be given only on the high end variant. Also, cruise control seems a tad unnecessary for our day to day driving conditions. That should definitely be adding quite a bit to the cost.

The salesrep I spoke to told me they shortlisted the features based on some surveys they did. So, in came ABS, but not airbags... Can't see who will ask for cruise control.
Old 11th January 2008, 14:31   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
dockap, you seem to have missed out on something. the new engine is technologically very advanced and hence expensive. an inside source from mahindra who is incidentally my friend tells me the older CRDe engine would cost mahindra 1 lakh to manufacture whereas the new 2.2 mHawk engine costs them about 2 lakhs to manufacture.
so there itself you see a price hike of a lakh for mahindra. moreover they have retuned the suspension and included all these features for a price hike of 90,000 which does not cover even the engine price for mahindra!!!
how is tata able to sell the 2.2 safari for a lower price are they getting the engines for free?
m&m should give dual front airbags and keep the auto wipers,headlights,cruise control as optional
Old 12th January 2008, 23:44   #59
BHPian

Yes also , the tire presssure and temperature monitor is useless information. What is the purpose of that ? And cruise control is also useless in indian conditions. They can remove all the unwanted bells and whistles and give Airbags.
Old 13th January 2008, 00:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

Is this the first car in India with Anti-pinch window ?

Quote:
An antipinch circuit prevents the motor driven closure of an automotive window if a soft obstacle is compressed between the window and the top of the door frame, and the window is opened in response to the sensing of the obstacle. The circuit measures the motor torque (by measuring motor current) and the motor shaft speed (by measuring motor back EMF). The torque and motor speed are compared to “signatures” of these values in the case of the window closing normally against the top of the door frame, or against an obstacle, and either stopping or reversing the motor rotation accordingly.
Source

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks