Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2008, 12:59   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemarauder View Post
I agree with you that when one is used to driving a particular vehicle, then s/he needs a little time to get accustomed to some other vechicle.

My shoe size is 10+ and I find Palio pedals being positioned thoughtfully. It is put close for heel-toe movement. When I was in bumper to bumper traffic, only then I realised it for the first time. Keep the heels where they are and simply rotate the foot by 20 degrees to brake. It helps prevent straining your right thigh...

Edit: I am 5'11" and everything seems ergonomic to me except the lack of lumbar support. May be I have got used to the car and have become too much obsessed with Fiat - a new Fiat Fan.
Couldn't agree more with you, as me to 5'11''. Everyting is so perfect that, one of my friend, who drives Santro Xing commented that, it feels like sitting in a cockpit.. I don't know what he means, but he was praising the ergonomics of Palio.
Old 13th March 2008, 13:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

hey guys..its great to do a heel 'n' toe if the pedals are too close for comfort. Why not you guys think like that - think Fiat, think Performance, THINK FERRARI: LOL
Old 13th March 2008, 13:16   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Steer, V1p3r - There are as many Fiat-haters as there are Fiat-lovers in this forum. While I cant identify who are the other haters, you two fit that description rather nicely
Well if that is the way you choose to look at people help normalize the hype and point out factual inaccuracies, then so be it.

At least we have something to say about the subject - which is more than can be said for those that prefer to stand in the sidelines and comment on the action.
Old 13th March 2008, 13:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Will try to get photos / measurements of the space between the pedals of different cars and post a comparision.

Cheers,
Rajan
That'll be very nice. Look forward to the measurements.
Old 13th March 2008, 13:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Well if that is the way you choose to look at people help normalize the hype and point out factual inaccuracies, then so be it.
Where is the hype? Are you referring to the "Tank like build" ? AFAIK, poor Fiat barely advertise their car models, let alone hype it up. Besides, being a XYZ car hater isnt such a bad thing. I am an NHC hater myself and I dont mind being called that.
Old 13th March 2008, 13:43   #51
BHPian

Thanks Abhibh for that review.

I test drove the MJD today morning. Here are my thoughts:

Interiors:
Unlike many of you, I was not expecting any change/upgrade in the interiors. I believe Palio is at the end of its life cycle (assuming 8/10 years life cycle for A particular model). So I was spared some disappointment in that area.

ICE:
There is provision for 4" round speakers on the front doors and for tweeters on the dash. (experts please comments whether this arrangement is recommended or not). For ovals in the rear, you will need a wooden/MDF plank, rendering the stock location for 4" speakers useless.

Exteriors:
As many have pointed out, it is the best looking hatch and stands out amidst the crowd.

Noise Levels:
Fiat has prominently mentioned about this being a 'Super Silent' car. Unfortunately, the car betrays that promise. While the 'Purring' was most refined when heard from outside, the interiors were surpisingly noisy when compared to its competitor, the Swift.

Vibrations:
The gear rod was rock solid, but I felt some vibrations on the steering wheel. There was also some soft rattle coming form the right hand side of the dash. (but this could be entirely model specific).

Gears:
Having read the reports beforehand, I was bit apprehensive about the gears going into the test drive. But it took only a couple of gear shifts to get acclimatise to them. No problems there.

The best part:
As many people would vouch, the best part of driving a Palio is that you feel you are in control, no matter what speed you are driving at. Coming on the back of driving an Indica, it was breeze. I will leave the part about suspension and ride quality for the experts to comment upon. As a layman, I found the drive to be an absolute pleasure.

Conclusion:
If you are looking for classy interiors, perhaps i10 is the way to go for you.

I believe Palio MJD is for those who always dreamt of owning a Palio, but were wary of taking the decisive plunge.

Palio MJD has obliterated a major concern (Fuel costs) for not taking that plunge. Hopefully, TAta-Fiat dealers will not lag far behind!

Last edited by CaAT : 13th March 2008 at 13:54.
Old 13th March 2008, 14:16   #52
BHPian

I have been seeing these TD reports.

I am in a confused state of mind. I was looking at replacing my Palio 1.6 with Palio D MJT.

So does it make sense to go for multijet D palio after trading Palio 1.6.
I am planning a TD this saturday.

Guys help me out from this state of mind...my 1.6 is just 1 yr 6 months younger (not older as its as good as it gets) with FE in the range of 9.5 to 10.5 ......and monthly running 700 - 800 km average but sometimes 500 KM additinal long drives once in 3 months...

Well I am totally confused ...Should I hold back my horses...??
Old 13th March 2008, 14:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
I am in a confused state of mind. I was looking at replacing my Palio 1.6 with Palio D MJT.
I was in a similar dilemma. But, I have a 1.2 as against the 1.6 you have and my car is around 4+ years old.

Now, I am pretty clear. I will wait for other good vehicles to come by. Possibly Linea, Punto, SX4 Dsl, etc.
Old 13th March 2008, 14:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post

Well I am totally confused ...Should I hold back my horses...??

It does not make sense to replace considering your average running, driving pleasure of 1.6, resale value, great FE and build quality of old palio.

As you have maintained the car well, retain it for a longer period.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 13th March 2008 at 14:33.
Old 13th March 2008, 14:40   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
It does not make sense to replace considering your average running, driving pleasure of 1.6, resale value, great FE and build quality of old palio.

As you have maintained the car well, retain it for a longer period.
Actuallu yes....I have maintained the Palio like a King....looks like it's just my infatuation towards the new front looks of the Stile MJT or may be love for Palio

Another point now my mind can think is actually it will not be an upgrade in any sense....

Thanks guys for making this simple...
Old 13th March 2008, 14:42   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Steer, V1p3r - There are as many Fiat-haters as there are Fiat-lovers in this forum. While I cant identify who are the other haters, you two fit that description rather nicely
Saar, I'm a previous Fiat owner, twice over. And I was a part of the team that modded (quite madly) one of India's first Palio 1.6s. Trust me, I know these cars pretty well, and I tell it like it is.
Old 13th March 2008, 14:48   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Have the bookings for MJD started.. any idea what is the delivery time like?
Called up Shaman Auto yesterday. They say booking and test drives have started and the delivery time is about 2 weeks. Thats pretty good. Will be going for a TD this Saturday.
Old 13th March 2008, 15:06   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
By saying FIAT has gone TATA way i meant they are not improving their interiors unlike TATA and the interior quality has decreased from the earlier Palios.
That looks a contradictory and confusing statement.
Old 13th March 2008, 15:10   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
I believe Palio is at the end of its life cycle (assuming 8/10 years life cycle for A particular model). So I was spared some disappointment in that area.
This is a very important aspect, especially fiat lovers. Wait for the new lenia et all, dont jump and exchange your cars now.

This one is strictly for people who are on a budget. Trust me all this hype will die down after couple of months, even Swift D has become another car now.

So wait lil more and then put that money down, to a better and newer design/generation product.
Old 13th March 2008, 15:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Saar, I'm a previous Fiat owner, twice over. And I was a part of the team that modded (quite madly) one of India's first Palio 1.6s. Trust me, I know these cars pretty well, and I tell it like it is.
Oh ok.. I wasnt aware of that. Swalpa adjust maadi
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks