Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2008, 09:10   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Scorpio 2.6 Crde LX Version - My Impressions

I own a Scorpio LX now- just took delivery a week ago.
The engine is first class. It hisses to a start with no fuss. Very powerful and no turbo lag troubles. Smooth and quite silent (at least once the windows are up and the AC on.)
Just remember that the instrument cluster is a little different in the sense that the fuel gauge is the upper right side one - it is easy to mistake the engine temp gauge for fuel gauge at first glance because of its location. And the hand brake indicator is right below, so please watch out before you take off after starting up the car because it is quite possible to take off with the handbrake on by mistake.
The gearing is sporty and clicky. I love it. Fantastic short and tight gearing feel which makes you want to Drive and Drive and Drive.
This is a "seat-of-the-pants driver's car all the way.
The superb Turbo 2.6 Crde beneath the hood is a huge advantage!. Good Torque, Great Power (BHP).
Hard/ Comfy driver seat. Very Snug feel and since I bought the LX and am quite a big built person I dont feel anything lacking because the front seats dont have armrests!
This car is a bit tall so one mustn't try sports car stunts while driving around corners and hill roads but the power is a pleasure.
I drove on a bad rutted road at a pretty high speed and didnt feel much discomfort. I sat in the back when my good friend drove and didnt feel a thing. The rear suspension is quite excellent. This car feels much better when fully loaded with people and luggage though.
Ive fitted 5 beautiful 5 spoke alloy wheels and these improve the ride and handling fantastically because the stance of the jeep has been widened - because the AURA Alloys are 6.5 inches wide as opposed to the 5.5 to 6 inches wide standard scorpio steel wheels.
And with the addition of a decent music system with a relatively inexpensive STEERING MOUNTED REMOTE, I now pretty much have many of the extra features of the DX, SLX and even VLX - all at a mere fraction of the cost of those vehicles!!
Im a firm believer in accessorizing the vehicle according to one's own taste by buying the base version and adding things to it in the way one prefers personally and the savings made and value I have created by doing this, affirms my belief again.
I love the amazing space at the back with the seat folded up and the HUGE space available with the seat folded down.
Feels nice and compact and sporty. Good fun to drive. Tough Mahindra Genes everywhere. This is not a Luxury SUV but an utility plus luxurious one.
The LX gives good value with Power Steering (nice chunky wheel and tiltable too!) Good powerful motors running the front and rear power windows. Solid AC and Heater!
235 Tyres are good but I think this may have been even better with 245 size on the big 16 inch rims.
While the Safari LX , its natural rival may offer many many toys and things and features etc,somehow, when you buy a car with your heart and "seat-of-the-pants", you end up buying a Scorpio.
I am waiting for the first few HILL DRIVES in this jeep. Im sure it will be a 100% FUN!
However, because of its tall stance and because it is an SUV, not a Sports Car, I will not recommend using it like you would, a low slung sports car, chucking it around bends etc. If you drive it well, and like a jeep type vehicle should be driven, it is probably the best vehicle to buy in this kind of budget!
Great Value and a LOVELY CAR!
Thank you Mahindra for getting things so right in the Scorpio!
Shankar Balan
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio 2.6 Crde LX Version - My Impressions-dsc05684.jpg  

Scorpio 2.6 Crde LX Version - My Impressions-dsc05680.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th April 2008 at 09:36. Reason: formatting [tags] removed.
Old 15th April 2008, 11:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, keep us posted of your experiences as you go along!!
Old 15th April 2008, 12:30   #3
BHPian

Congratulations Shankar. Those alloys looks beautiful on your car. Keep posting.
Old 15th April 2008, 13:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good one Shankar.

Looking forward for more reviews, especially once you get to do long distance / ghat section drives.

Any other angle photos, interior photos to share?
Old 15th April 2008, 13:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Isn't this the mHawk?
If not, any reasons for not going with the 2.2 ?
Old 15th April 2008, 13:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wouldnt the wider alloys foul with the suspension or ride and handling?

The scorpio looks pretty spartan withot the side plastic cladding.
Old 15th April 2008, 13:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey nice review...

How much did you buy it for??
Old 15th April 2008, 15:35   #8
BANNED

thank you
certainly I shall keep posting new notes as i use it more and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Congrats, keep us posted of your experiences as you go along!!
7.92 on road ( because of corporate discount, loyalty bonus, insurance no claim bonus and so on - around 60 grand saved off the normal LX price which is 856000/-)
extras - 28 grand for the alloys
music and speakers 14 grand
towhook and new 4WD Scorpio bumper - 8 Grand
Bull Bar 10 Grand
Some small freebies included basic driving lamps mounted on the front bumper and some inside mats and an ashtray!

If you plan to buy, go and see Amit at Vijai Auto Bilekahalli (Banerghatta road) and tell him I had recommended you meet him
He will look after you pucca

Cheers

shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Hey nice review...

How much did you buy it for??
not really - they dont have spacers etc- and the extra one inch width only improves the stability in my experience- it was the same case with my bolero where the width of the alloys was just one inch more than the standard steel wheels and believe me, that jeep would just stick to the road on long distance and hill drives - alloys are a very worthwhile investment expecially if they are bought from a reputed company like Aura which is a Birla Group company!

I rather liked the spartan look without the cladding - unfortunately the cladding makes the jeep look (in my opinion) a little too overdone and the contrast cladding which is there on SLX and VLX makes it look really bad - somewhat like the jeep is wearing ill fitting skirts or something like that.

I personally preferred the simple anonymous look of the LX especially in the colour I bought - Rocky Beige (which actually looks more like a dull olive drab shade!)

cheers

shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Wouldnt the wider alloys foul with the suspension or ride and handling?

The scorpio looks pretty spartan withot the side plastic cladding.
no this is the LX

the MHAWK at 11.2 Lacs was way over my budget - I love the Scorpio per se and one day soon when they start making slightly less expensive versions of the MHAWK I will probably upgrade but not now.

Frankly many of the extras offered with the M HAWK are not really to my taste or sense of "value" though some of the things are very useful.

cheers

shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Isn't this the mHawk?
If not, any reasons for not going with the 2.2 ?
thanks

I will take some more this weekend and post them!
cheerio

shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Good one Shankar.

Looking forward for more reviews, especially once you get to do long distance / ghat section drives.

Any other angle photos, interior photos to share?
thanks man

i will let you know the reviews of a long distance drive very soon

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansidea View Post
Congratulations Shankar. Those alloys looks beautiful on your car. Keep posting.

Last edited by DCEite : 15th April 2008 at 15:52. Reason: Please use Multi-Quote for quoting multiple posts.
Old 15th April 2008, 16:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Shankar; there is a rumor that 2.2 are sold in TN ; even base models. Any idea?

And these alloys are the one's that come for Safari VX right?

"If you drive it well, and like a jeep type vehicle should be driven, it is probably the best vehicle to buy in this kind of budget!"

You mean a jeep in driver comfort or passenger comfort or both?
Old 15th April 2008, 16:55   #10
BHPian

Shankar, the styling is very subtle and clean without the cladding. i think it makes for very good viewing and you got a great deal to top it off. Looking forward to details on your ghat jaunts.
Old 15th April 2008, 16:59   #11
BANNED

hi
no clue about this base model 2.2 in TN generally - but you might want to check in Coimbatore where lots of genetic modifications take place!

The alloys are called F11665 - colour Hyper Silver. This is the only design available at the moment from Aura for the 16 inch Rim size as in all the new Scorpios, LX, DLX, SLX and VLX and all the Safari's LX, EX, VX etc etc.

I mean about driving that when you drive an SUV/ Jeep type vehicle it is best to drive it with a little respect for the proportions and height of the car, your passenger (s) comfort and security, respect for other road users, shifting gears correctly (say before a hairpin bend rather than during or after a hairpin bend) and things like that.

In terms of comfort, as long as one doesnt do sports car type tricks in these SUV/ Jeep vehicles, I am sure both you and your passengers will be very comfy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Shankar; there is a rumor that 2.2 are sold in TN ; even base models. Any idea?

And these alloys are the one's that come for Safari VX right?

"If you drive it well, and like a jeep type vehicle should be driven, it is probably the best vehicle to buy in this kind of budget!"

You mean a jeep in driver comfort or passenger comfort or both?
thanks so much
i am looking forward to some hill driving in this new vehicle and shall post the details v soon

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
Shankar, the styling is very subtle and clean without the cladding. i think it makes for very good viewing and you got a great deal to top it off. Looking forward to details on your ghat jaunts.

Last edited by Zappo : 17th April 2008 at 18:12. Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old 15th April 2008, 17:16   #12
BANNED

congrates for your buy shankar hope you enjoy it till max.......another proud owner of sorpiocheers:

good alloyes buddy why not upgraded your tyers to some fat rubber would have given you more road grip....

Last edited by zenopio : 15th April 2008 at 17:17.
Old 15th April 2008, 18:53   #13
BANNED

thanks

but i think its better to stick with the 235 70 R16 tyres since they offer more than adequate road grip with the alloys and look just right for the vehicle

the only other option I might have considered were the ones on the Getaway 245 70 R 16 which might have been more aggressive looking but im not sure how much they would have impacted the performance, having not driven a regular scorp with those tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
congrates for your buy shankar hope you enjoy it till max.......another proud owner of sorpiocheers:

good alloyes buddy why not upgraded your tyers to some fat rubber would have given you more road grip....
Old 17th April 2008, 10:41   #14
BHPian

Congratulations. Nice colour and nicer Alloys. A friend of mine also bought a Lx last year. He too fitted the same alloys.
@JK: These alloys are being sold by the Mahindra dealers and No, I do not think that these are the Safari Vx alloys.
Old 17th April 2008, 11:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
@JK: These alloys are being sold by the Mahindra dealers and No, I do not think that these are the Safari Vx alloys.

These alloys do look similar to the ones that come as OEM for the Safari. Similar design and looks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks