Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2008, 10:10   #16
BHPian

Hmmm..
The Devil wins.?i Guess hes not all that bad.
Old 16th June 2008, 10:14   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Well done!
A humourous and slightly back handed review TSK!
But a fair one in most ways and a little subjective in some others - no need to mention which ones though because theres no need to have an argument again!
Cheers and I do hope you decide on what you are going to enjoy driving for the medium term!
Best of luck!
Old 16th June 2008, 10:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

A very honest review, that too coming from a person who is known (and openly acknowledged) inclination to the Safari.

Would love to see the final outcome!
Old 16th June 2008, 10:42   #19
Team-BHP Support

Tanveer, here is a litmus test. If Safari EX 2.2 4x4 and Scorpio mHawk 4x4 are identically priced, what would you choose?
Old 16th June 2008, 10:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Good write up Tanveer!!

We have a Scorpio 2.6 CRDe in family. I am 6 2 tall and I am not happy with the space in the front, the ride at the back is very bumpy and the handling is bad.

The car is powerful and feels like a Sedan in city with good low end torque. It is definitely value for money in that price range.

I need to TD a 2.2 to see if Mahindra has rectified the handling and comfort at back seat.
Old 16th June 2008, 10:44   #21
BHPian

Enjoyed every minute of the review. When deciding my next car (have been lusting after some good affordable SUVs) I will have Scorpio at the top of my list. Hopefully the next gen will have decent cabin space.
Old 16th June 2008, 10:46   #22
Team-BHP Support

I rely on your views much more in this case than scores of others. So when you say Scorp has it one up on the Safari I believe you. And thats worrysome as you said. Till date I have had this idea (in a semi solid state of fructification) that maybe my next car will be a Safari. You have now sown a seed of doubt in my mind.

By the way, did you take the car beyond 80? If so was it ok to handle? Many people seem to suggest beyond 80 Scorp is a rocky boat, particularly when thrown around. I wanted to know your views on that.

Also, with such a difference in engine characteristics I guess you have put to rest "the mother of all conspiracies" theory of the Tata and M&M having secretly together bought an engine off the shelf and used it in both their respective vehicles. Hmmm...
Old 16th June 2008, 10:57   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

@tsk, 3rd row in the Scorp is & will be so, unless they change lot of things.

Ultimately, a vehicle is more than the engine. Safari is still ahead in area os Space, styling & comfort.
Old 16th June 2008, 10:58   #24
BHPian

Excellent write-up.
I have the 1st gen scorpio 2.6
Engine is great, pickup is amazing. Cabin space and comfort (leg room and inclination of back seat) is not good. I have heard that they have made improvements in the new models.
My scorpio has 1.5 lac KMs on ODO. No major repairs so far, just the normal service.

There is no doubt that safari is far ahead in terms of looks and styling. Also the cabin space, but it does not have that rev.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, loved the write-up, I think the devil has bitten you & you should go for it.

But is 4x4 available even on order on the Mhawk?
Old 16th June 2008, 11:15   #26
BHPian

Tanveer,

Thank you for a very selfless review. Very well-written emotional feature.

Am sure there are quite a few of us - sedan & hatchback owners - for whom the Safari - is truly the zenith of an Indian 4X4 experience. Add to it, the image factor etc.

I have personally Td'ed ( twice ) & driven around in friend's Safari 2.2 VTT's & the newer Scorp-Hawks and come back feeling pretty much " Cat-on-the-wall" kinds.

Heart says - Safari ( for it's pure elegance as a 4X4 should be, something very personal) and the little devil in the mind says, the scorp engine is swell buddy, go for it.!!!

So much so, that last month i ended up booking a VTT 2.2 and then a week later called them to transfer the same to my cousin who needed the vehicle before me. And the quandary starts all over again for me.

Your decision process only help me fix a few more holes in this process.

Thank you, actually.

Last edited by SRShrikanth : 16th June 2008 at 11:20.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:18   #27
Team-BHP Support

I'm luvin it!!
Tanveer, good review and quite on the mark, i would say.

Would your travels include usually just the two of you, or would it involve a group of people? If the former, the Devil would be your ally, and if its the latter, maybe the KING (?!) should be your bet.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:30   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Tanveer, here is a litmus test. If Safari EX 2.2 4x4 and Scorpio mHawk 4x4 are identically priced, what would you choose?

I were to answer that question, I'd currently choose the mHawk for the single reason that buying the current Safari - which is at the end of its model life, doesnt make practical sense, atleast not to me.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:34   #29
BHPian

More confusion again. I was inclined to booking a VTT, but this thread is making me re-think my decision ... :(

BTW thanks tsk1979 for the interesting review...
Old 16th June 2008, 11:50   #30
BHPian

Very nice comparion there. In my view the Scorpio is the vechile I'd choose as I feel it's much better put together and the engine is simply fantastic. Yes, interior space is more in the Safari, but Scropio is not too bad either and when it comes to reliablity, I'll take a MAHINDRAanyday over a TATA.

By the way my dad had the following when I was a teenager.
TATA SERRIA
TATA ESTATE
MAHINDRA ARMADA
MAHINRA MM 540

I had most fun in the MM 540 for some reason.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks