Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2008, 12:36   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I "want" to buy the Safari. The heart wants it. Its the head which has intervened and is causing us grief(my wife also wants to buy safari but is daunted by handling the behemoth in cramped city traffic).
Then get on with man, don't worry! I've had many a kitten before I took the plunge but have not regretted it even once after I got the beast. I don't know how many questions Steer had to patiently put up from me before I was convinced!
Quote:
And as you said, people coming from other side of NCR to your preferred service center, well if I buy the EX, then add me to the list too.
Most welcome, the Works Manager will be happy to add you on to his list of "VIP"s
Old 18th June 2008, 12:41   #107
BHPian

Quote:
I am not worried about breakdown on lonely highways as I think this problem is overstated, and a rare event.
However having to visit the service center for niggle problems is an issue.
well all are not so mechanically inclined like yourself.

but I would like to state that sensors, alternator, starter are all engine related parts and any malfunction on a lonely highway will be a real pain. An engine that gives up is as good as a and no matter how good your A.S.S. service greetings welcomes tea coffee was there to impress and make you feel pampered wont help to revive the engine.

buying a safari or scorpio with 4x4 (as would be in my case) is to explore off the road, so engine reliability and an excellent 4x4 is whats needed.

going by the numerous threads on the forum I have cited more engine related issues whether its the 3.0 or 2.2 safari if it were to be compared to a scorpio.
I am stressing more on the quality of parts used on both makes.

as one of teambhp member had this problem -a small hose of the air intake giving way and that TASS cannot find the problem as the error codes are not logged in their system gives scary feeling and also makes me think how many more such situations can come up.

Tanveer@ scorpio timing belt broken at 30K kms - this is absolutely unfortunate.

pls let me know what type of engines are on scorpio and safari in case of timing belt failure.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 18th June 2008 at 12:43.
Old 18th June 2008, 12:41   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, you have to own an Indica to realize how customers are treated at TASS.
I will be owning one soon (CS Dicor, if that Landmaster doesnt get here soon!), so I will update. Who knows - I may get lucky! Maybe they have preferential treatment for Indica owners who also own a Safari?
Old 18th June 2008, 12:47   #109
Senior - BHPian

Only once in 2002 I was ripped off by a TATA ASC and that was the end of my honeymoon with them. I found out a good reliable neighbourhood garage and now my boh trucks go to him. No complaints and no issues..

Quote:
Then, one fine day I was stranded on a lonely highway with my wife, with a failed alternator.
Thats the day I decided, TASS never, and started maintaining the car myself, by looking at the service manual, seeing what requires change at what.
Couple of days back the gear assembly pin broke. But its 100,000kms old and end of life, so I don't blame tata for this really, but the service I got at 11:30pm in the night was exemplary, and this i could never have expected from Tata.
Old 18th June 2008, 12:48   #110
Team-BHP Support

Steer has more or less echoed what I have always said about my experience with TASS. As many of you probably know that people have always wondered that maybe I have had some angelic SS here but rest of the India it is crap. Maybe so. But then it is not the angelic service centers (they all are crap, and I am not talking only about TASS) but it is the bamboo that they get from the top that makes them work.

I always wonder why people do not let Tata know during the feedback call if they are unhappy. My experience is that if I mention that I am unhappy they apologize and say they will get it sorted. This is followed up by a call from the SS within a period of 4-24 hours where the timid sounding lady offers to send a mechanic to your place to check the problem immediately.

So what gives? :-/
Old 18th June 2008, 12:49   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
going by the numerous threads on the forum I have cited more engine related issues whether its the 3.0 or 2.2 safari if it were to be compared to a scorpio.
I am stressing more on the quality of parts used on both makes.
Tanveer@ scorpio timing belt broken at 30K kms - this is absolutely unfortunate.

pls let me know what type of engines are on scorpio and safari in case of timing belt failure.

mansidea - are you there? Wasnt your fuel pump replaced at 5k kms? And what else was replaced on your truck (not including accident repairs)?

If we are quoting individual instances of failure, there are plenty to talk about on either side and this will only result in another arguement with no result.

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th June 2008 at 12:54.
Old 18th June 2008, 12:57   #112
Senior - BHPian

Safari TCIC 2.0 L engine came with a timing belt and so did the DICOR. I've not seen the VTT engine hence can't say.

Scorpio engines came in 3 models barring the mHawk. The first one was a plain SZ2600 that came with timing gears - more reliable and less prone to damage.

Then came the SZ2600 plus, that mostly had timing chains but a few engines came with timing gears. Mine is one such.

Then came the CRDes that have timing chains.

Except for the timing gear units, all others including the Safari's required replacement between 80 to 100K kms. While the breaking of the timing belt/chain is disastrous for a diesel powerplant, such instances are known less to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
Old 18th June 2008, 12:57   #113
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Such vehicles are only sold to uncles, cousins, friends and colleagues. This must be some sort of Tata policy.
You are right ..... come to think of it everytime a comparison is made its to do with a Relative's Safari,Friends Safari, etc......
Old 18th June 2008, 12:57   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW, you have to own an Indica to realize how customers are treated at TASS.
Tanveer much as I hate to say this but please... Take it from me its crap. Till date I service my car at TASS. And everytime something is not satisfactory I do not have to write any mail shail to anyone. I just wait for that call within 3 days of the service. After that Tata simply bludgeons them with a battering ram.

Only thing I can say is that both your and Himanshu's Indica experience seems to be with TASS in bangalore. And they sound patently horrible to me. Else I fail to see how it is possible.

I am a living testimony to the fact that every feedback call on Tata Indicas, if negative, always screws the TASS happiness. Trust me on that.
Old 18th June 2008, 12:58   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
mansidea - are you there? Wasnt your fuel pump replaced at 5k kms? And what else was replaced on your truck (not including accident repairs)?

If we are quoting individual instances of failure, there are plenty to talk about on either side and this will only result in another arguement with no result.
In that case, i will also like to bring to the notice of the debating members that M&M ASC can also goof up when it comes to service. We recently had the case of a new mHawk which was serviced in Pune and on lost its wheel on the Western Express Highway. The pendulum swings both ways. Its a case of Andhon mein Kaana Raja!
Old 18th June 2008, 13:02   #116
Senior - BHPian

Or lets discuss Ishaan's Scorpio that broke down 2 km down the road immediately after taking delivery. Temp board and all that. And the dealer took 1 hour to send a repair crew down!

You see, if we go down that road, there really is no end to it.

So lets not go there?
Old 18th June 2008, 13:03   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post

Only thing I can say is that both your and Himanshu's Indica experience seems to be with TASS in bangalore. And they sound patently horrible to me. Else I fail to see how it is possible.

No Buddy, my Indica experiece has been in Delhi (owned a petrol one for 4 years- sold it early this year) and for a brief period Trivandrum (a DLX Turbo-had a turbocharger failure on that)

my Palio experience (this one is really amazing) was in Bangalore and then the car was sent to Delhi, where despite the owner of one TASS being a family friend, we were left with no option but to pull our hair out.

In comparison, Autofin in Hyd has been really proactive (with one minor unpleasant eperience) with my Safari, the only problem being that their Bowenpally Service station is about 40 kms from my house!
Old 18th June 2008, 13:03   #118
BANNED

Hey guys,

I feel we need to discuss this on a different category,maybe Indian car dealership.

Arent we going off topic now.
Old 18th June 2008, 13:04   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
We recently had the case of a new mHawk which was serviced in Pune and on lost its wheel on the Western Express Highway. The pendulum swings both ways. Its a case of Andhon mein Kaana Raja!
Which one Sumit?? Running wheel or the spare that dangles below?!
If the former, hope there were no injuries to anyone! That's a crowded place and this kind of mishap can have bad consequences!

And yes, there are enough cases of M&M also goofing up in the service department.
Old 18th June 2008, 13:08   #120
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Another factor which is dripping from my posts, but nobody "understood" is that I "want" to buy the Safari. The heart wants it. Its the head which has intervened and is causing us grief(my wife also wants to buy safari but is daunted by handling the behemoth in cramped city traffic)..
Again .... Go with your Heart and thou shall not repent ... ...

RE: Handling - This is not a issue, takes some time to get used to it ..... Trust me a scorpio will not keep up with the directional changes the Safari is capable of .... Unless the Scorpio Driver doesnt understand its Limit's !!

RE: Service - No Worries - I think you know what i have to say .....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks