Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2008, 08:37   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
4. How comfortable is the rear bench to sleep on, if used in a train sleeper class like fashion.(for somebody who is 6 feet in height). I know it may sound like a silly question, but its important.
I doubt if there's a car or truck around that will allow a six-footer to stretch out on the rear seat.

You can, however, tip over the rear seats and get a flat bed in the rear (like they showed in the Skoda ads before) which can easily accomodate a queen size mattress.
Old 22nd June 2008, 08:43   #167
Team-BHP Support

Ok, thats for the info
Well alloy wheels are sorted out, but I am still confused about warranty, because the dealership guy was insisting its 18+18 months. Maybe they never look at the manual
Old 22nd June 2008, 08:44   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Steeroid : I doubt if there's a car or truck around that will allow a six-footer to stretch out on the rear seat.
Correct. But the best config for that will be a CR-V : recline the rear seat, pull front seat forward & recline it too - and you have a full length single bed.

Quote:
Steeroid : You can, however, tip over the rear seats and get a flat bed in the rear
Guess you would know, but just to confirm : is the 2nd row bench foldable ?
Quote:
tsk1979 : .. but I am still confused about warranty, because the dealership guy was insisting its 18+18 months.
I remember the wty for the Safari being 2 yrs 75k km. It was noticeable because of the changes in duration (not the regular 18 months) and the distance.

And here's the proof: TATA Motors - Safari DICOR

Last edited by condor : 22nd June 2008 at 08:48.
Old 22nd June 2008, 11:49   #169
Senior - BHPian

I've a '98 4x4 Safari and if I've to make my son come along on my long distance drives, then I've to take the Safari. Now he is 5' 11" and he tilts the middle single seat backwards till it levels with the single seat in the boot and sprawls himself. Have seen him sleeping soundly for hours at stretch in that position..

Quote:
How comfortable is the rear bench to sleep on, if used in a train sleeper class like fashion.(for somebody who is 6 feet in height). I know it may sound like a silly question, but its important.
Old 22nd June 2008, 22:04   #170
BHPian

Quote:
So if I wanted to make a better safari what would I do?
1. Decrease CG without affecting GC to improve dynamics. this thing is a whale now
2. Reposition rear spare wheel, it blocks vision
3 .Put in that rear over windscreen mirror thingy in all models
4. Change steering wheel so that it can be moved up by 2 inches more
5. Fix the silly roof ac to look like a factory fitted unit
6. Do something about the humongous turning radious
7. Do something about the engine vibrations around 2000rpm acclerating in higher gears
8. Kick out Delphi and bring in bosch(pipe dreams)
9. Make the fit and finish befitting of a 10L car
10. Change gearshift position so that you don't have to go to Pakistan for 1st gear and Sri Lanka for reverse
TSK et al, Today I finally overcame my long pending inertia and go and to a TD of the 2.2. Based on your thread; I had serious apprehension wrt how will it go and what if i really dont enjoy the TD. Please note that I havent TD'd the Mhawk as yet. It was in my agenda for today but my longish TD with Safari meant that I fell short of time to do that. With my current driving on M800 - I was wondering if I would at all really feel good with the diesel TD of Safari

Went to Sanya automobiles @ 1:00 PM and requested for the TD. The TD vehicle was already being used by some other customer and I had to wait for my turn. In the meantime; I was explained all about the vehicle and even given a photocopy of mhawk specs for me to compare it against the Safari ( I had enquired why shouldnt I go with mHawk ). I was given some really entertaining reasoning like mHawk only comes in the top end variant whereas 2.2 comes in all varinants :-). There was a silver EX 4*2 standing at the showroom - so had a good look around and atleast I really liked the beige interiors as opposed to the earlier grey ones. Of course the quality of the interior is not to my liking

Finally the TD vehicle ( which was not really a TD vehicle; looked like some customer's EX 4*2 - i pointed that out to the sales excutive but he gave me some lame excuses ). Definitely the engine noise is miles better than the 3.0 DICOR. Now to cut the long story short - I took a TD from Sanya-LodhiColonyFlyover-Moolchand-AshramUTurn-Moolchand-Sanya. Essentially I wanted to get a feel of 2.2 in city conditions and see if it at all could be my second vehicle with good volume of usage in city driving.
And I was really very impressed . Apart from the 1st gear which I was finding slight difficulty in engaging - i really really enjoyed the TD. I even didnt feel a lag in 2nd and above gears. And on top of it all; I never did feel that I am driving such a large vehicle which I did feel when I TDed 3.0

After such a good feel TD with Safari - I immediately wanted to go to Bhasin motors in SouthEx and get a quick feel of difference between the two but unfortunately couldnt take it up

Conclusion is that i am quite happy with the new 2.2 Safari. The following things are pending
a) Need to go for TD of mHawk to really see if it is better wrt city driving and if yes than by how much margin
b)Take some psychology lessons to erase self created doubts about unreliability of safari from my mind
c) Still I am not 100pc sure that I will take the plunge in the SUV terrain need to TD some sedans and reject them one by one in order to get that %age to 100

Prices quoted by showroom were as follows( all prices are OTR )
Lx 4*2 846649
Ex 4*2 992201 4*4 1087621
Vx 4*2 1182656 4*4 1282573

I was interested in Ex 4*2 - so the offer made to me was
assuming a 6L finance amount - balance payment
992201- 6L = 392201
1 EMI taken in advance which for 3 year loan @14pc Tata Finance was abt 20430
So 392201 + 20430 + 2800(processing fee ) = 415431
On this I was offered 11K( loan discount ) + 23000( cash discount ) - so other than finance amount to be paid = 415431-34K = 381431
Old 22nd June 2008, 23:51   #171
Team-BHP Support

Don't go for Tata finance.
Tata SBI gives you 12%, and you can also pay "high payments" when you have money
Old 23rd June 2008, 07:02   #172
Team-BHP Support

This thread has two safari TD reports already and has become a Safari thread, time to change the thread title?
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:02   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

@tsk, While you ponder over the comparo, weigh the pro's & cons of these beasts .. here's something that I would consider for any vehicle : Repainting (if ever required).

The mHawk 2.2 comes with a patterend paint job. This will be a problem if you ever need to re-paint any panel. You would never get the factory finish.

This problem is also present for cars with decals /vinyls. I personally would be very happy if my fav vehicle (the one I want to buy) does not have decals / vinyls / patterns.

Last edited by condor : 23rd June 2008 at 10:05.
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:39   #174
Senior - BHPian

Condor, you've brought out a very important aspect.

Although I must admit that the Scorpio looks good with these patterend but touchup is impossible and repainting outside will also be a nightmarish job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@tsk, While you ponder over the comparo, weigh the pro's & cons of these beasts .. here's something that I would consider for any vehicle : Repainting (if ever required).

The mHawk 2.2 comes with a patterend paint job. This will be a problem if you ever need to re-paint any panel. You would never get the factory finish.

This problem is also present for cars with decals /vinyls. I personally would be very happy if my fav vehicle (the one I want to buy) does not have decals / vinyls / patterns.
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:14   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Condor, you've brought out a very important aspect.

Although I must admit that the Scorpio looks good with these patterend but touchup is impossible and repainting outside will also be a nightmarish job.
the Pitter patter VLX is way way out of my budget. The VLS though has a regular paint job.
BTW, I don't think the Scorpio VLS 4x4 is coming anytime soon, and that too around 10L ex showroom.

No negotiation cash discount for Safari is 13K. If I haggle I can stretch it to 25K atleast.

This week will tell.
Old 24th June 2008, 10:44   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, thats for the info
Well alloy wheels are sorted out, but I am still confused about warranty, because the dealership guy was insisting its 18+18 months. Maybe they never look at the manual

Tata Motors Customer Care :: Must Know

About the Extended Warranty.
Old 24th June 2008, 11:44   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Tata Motors Customer Care :: Must Know

About the Extended Warranty.
Ok, this confuses me further.
At the top it mentions that its 24+12
Then in the section effective from 1st April it gives 2+1 and 2+2 years, both available.

Since you have the EX, what extended warranty did you get. I guess that will settle it
Old 24th June 2008, 11:49   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then in the section effective from 1st April it gives 2+1 and 2+2 years, both available.

Since you have the EX, what extended warranty did you get. I guess that will settle it

The local Tata Dealers here had cited 2+2 when I visited them a month back.
Old 24th June 2008, 13:11   #179
BHPian

My dealer quoted only the 2+2 plan in his price list brochure (ie. for Rs.5950/-), while Concorde Motors B'lore offered both 2+1 as well as 2+2 plans. In any case, the latter plan is most popular i guess.
Old 24th June 2008, 13:16   #180
SUV
BHPian

Quote:

Just to ease your confusion .... The Default Warranty is 2 Years, with a option for either 1 or 2 Year additional warranty .....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks