Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2009, 17:36   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@ rudrah - first try it on the painted bumper near the wheel arch and then try it on the bonnet. just in case.
yeah, will try experimenting on the bumper area!

Thanks, rocker! btw..Long time no see!
Old 7th April 2009, 17:55   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
Acetone should help you removing the stain. In case of unavailability, you can always use "nail paint remover" or any "deo spray". If you are using concentrate acetone, take it on the cloth first and then try to wipe the stain. Of course if you take too less of acetone, the stain can spread in stead of being wiped off. So don't panic if the stain spreads a little bit in the start.
If you want to use deo sprays, you can spray it directly on the stain and wipe off immediately before deo evaporates. If stain is too large, you may need to repeat spray-wipe process for some time (preferably with diffrent cloths or at least with clean side of the cloth everytime).

Don't worry, you don't need a touch up for that!
And hope you get your sound sleep back!
Dude, just found a webpage on paint damage where it says "Don’t use acetone, nail polish remover or similar substances as they could damage the paint!"

Source: Automotive paint damage: removing paint damage

Another web page recommends Acetone!
Source: How to Get Spray Paint off a Car - wikiHow

I'm confused now

Last edited by rudrah : 7th April 2009 at 18:05.
Old 7th April 2009, 18:47   #108
BHPian

Rudrah try the acetone like planet rocker rightly said one of the panels, give it a few hours then if all's well go for it.
I personally have cleaned have of my friends Uno [white] with acetone, as we decided to blacken the door frames [bosny] and poor masking meant paint everywhere.
The onwer went hunting for a bottle of thinner but came back with acetone instead, worked like a charm.
Another option would be to go for a bottle of thinner [locally know as IMPORTED THINNER] which is found in packaged bottle and not the one thats available loose, but please try it on a panel first.
Keep us posted.
Old 7th April 2009, 19:36   #109
Senior - BHPian

@ MS - thinner / brake oil will ruin the paint.

@ Rudrah - another safe place to try out is the inner side of the bonnet / hood (the painted part.
Old 7th April 2009, 22:23   #110
BHPian

Are u sure PR. brake oil definitely but, I am talking about the thinner which is in sealed bottles and is suppose to be very mild the once mixed with the paint [PAINT THINNER] or [DOUBLE S/ SS THINNER],
as far as my understanding goes it should not damage the paint and also
PR don't u think trying it out is the inner side of the bonnet / hood (the painted part) would do him no good as this part has no coat of lacquer on it and/might get easily damaged.
PR just clearing my doubt and trying to help RUDRAH with my experience as we all are, do please correct me if I am wrong about anything.

Last edited by michael schume : 7th April 2009 at 22:26.
Old 8th April 2009, 10:42   #111
BHPian

Problem almost solved!!

Guys,

Thanks for all your valuable suggestions!

I had a old can of Formula 1 Carnabua Wax Polish, so thought to try this first and then the Acetone method. It was late night almost 11pm and with just the mobile light, i used the polish on the bonnet. After cleaning it off, I couldn't find the black spots that i used to prominently see earlier. Half relieved I went off to sleep and prayed the morning comes soon.

Today morning when i checked, Whoaah its almost vanished! However i do see minute black spots of the stains yet. I'll re-try polishing once again today and see if it goes off!

Phew!! i'm so relieved. The wax polish did its job!

This whole process made me learn about paint protection and the Dos and Donts!

Thanks once again, Planet Rocker, xPK, Michael Schume

T-BHP rocks!

Cheers~
Old 8th April 2009, 10:56   #112
BHPian

I too have the same problem. Just gave the palio for service to concorde motors and while taking delivery, noticed lot of dots on the bonnet. When you see carefully, you can see these dots are from a oil and was like a candle wax which you can easily feel it. The service centre tried to do a wax polish, but it didn't go. I've refused to take the delivery and shall see what service centre will do.

If you use rubbing compound, it will remove oxidation layer on the film and I've to polish the vehicle every month to get the original shine. Isn't it?

Any comments?
Attached Thumbnails
Driving my FireBird -> Palio Stile 1.6 Formula Red-0407_183626.jpg  

Driving my FireBird -> Palio Stile 1.6 Formula Red-0407_183658.jpg  

Old 8th April 2009, 11:35   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
I too have the same problem. Just gave the palio for service to concorde motors and while taking delivery, noticed lot of dots on the bonnet. When you see carefully, you can see these dots are from a oil and was like a candle wax which you can easily feel it. The service centre tried to do a wax polish, but it didn't go. I've refused to take the delivery and shall see what service centre will do.

If you use rubbing compound, it will remove oxidation layer on the film and I've to polish the vehicle every month to get the original shine. Isn't it?

Any comments?
Oops Mahadev, that looks bad on a bright Yellow paint! Reading your post, I'm guessing the stains are absorbed in the paint(hoping its not).

Since Wax polish didnt resolved this issue, like others suggested try using Acetone method. But experiment somewhere else first before trying on bonnet!

Check the web links I posted above which talks about Paint damage and solutions! I don't know if they are 100% trust worthy!

Check my post in PUG too. Many have given alternate solutions for such problems.

Good luck and Cheers~
Old 8th April 2009, 11:40   #114
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Dude, just found a webpage on paint damage where it says "Don’t use acetone, nail polish remover or similar substances as they could damage the paint!"

Source: Automotive paint damage: removing paint damage

Another web page recommends Acetone!
Source: How to Get Spray Paint off a Car - wikiHow

I'm confused now
That's the reason I asked you to get acetone on a cloth first.

And ofcourse unless yourn't rubbing it, it's pretty safe. You just need to wipe off the stain.
I also mentioned deo sprays, as they are not so concentrate, so they are safe to handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Guys,
Phew!! i'm so relieved. The wax polish did its job!
Good to know that!
After all result is more important!!!

Quote:

Any comments?
Mahadev, if it is oil or grease, you don't need to go for acetone. Petrol or Kerosine will do the trick for you.
Old 8th April 2009, 11:53   #115
BHPian

xPk, don't you think Diesel is the better option than Petrol/Kerosine to remove oil or grease stains?

I just recalled when i had been to a service centre and a guy was wiping a white Safari with Diesel to remove oil/grease stains on it!
Old 8th April 2009, 12:26   #116
xPK
BHPian

I'm not sure, which is better. Basically, to remove oil stains, what you need is some oil solvent.

And personally I never tried diesel, hence didn't mention it!
Old 8th April 2009, 12:40   #117
glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
I'm not sure, which is better. Basically, to remove oil stains, what you need is some oil solvent.

And personally I never tried diesel, hence didn't mention it!
You can use Diesel , but ensure that no stains of Diesel is left back , since Diesel is a Dirt Magnet

Old 13th April 2009, 11:37   #118
BHPian

Quote:

Any comments?
I got my car back. The Concorde Motors, Mysore road service station, did a very good job in servicing and painting with excellent color match. They strive towards customer satisfaction. After I shown my dissatisfaction towards the marks which you see on the images, they completely painted the bonnet and front bumper free of cost.
Man the car look new and I highly rate this service station. Now who says that FIAT A.S.S sucks. Be it a painting job or mechanical job (regular servicing). End of the day, I'm happy.
Old 13th April 2009, 16:35   #119
BHPian

Quote:
I got my car back. The Concorde Motors, Mysore road service station, did a very good job in servicing and painting with excellent color match. They strive towards customer satisfaction. After I shown my dissatisfaction towards the marks which you see on the images, they completely painted the bonnet and front bumper free of cost.
Man the car look new and I highly rate this service station. Now who says that FIAT A.S.S sucks. Be it a painting job or mechanical job (regular servicing). End of the day, I'm happy.
Thats great news, Mahadev!

Tata motors are now quite responding to FIAT jobs! The ACE of FIAT - Mr. Mangesh Kodalkar makes sure all complaints are attended by TATA motors at the point of care with customer satisfaction!

Do post in the pics of the paint job!

Cheers~
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:06   #120

I own a Palio Stile Sport (Red) for the past one and a half year, done 41,000 kms.
i have no complains on the service of Fiat as well as Tata. Excellent. i do my service with manipal motors where i bought my Palio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks