Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 21:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

guys
why are we berating jasher like this? What he has said is what he experienced. We have had Autocar come out with 31+ KMPL with Fiesta petrol isint it? Fabias is a smaller engine and lighter car. It can probably do 30 if driven very sensibly (probably thats what they did - drove it sensibly constant speeds and all)
On the other Fabia (mainly Diesels) thread most people report 15-20 KMPL in city.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Yeah right! Lets go and buy a hatch for 9 Lakhs so we can save some money on fuel.
Old 16th December 2008, 07:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yeah right! Lets go and buy a hatch for 9 Lakhs so we can save some money on fuel.
well Fabia 1.2 Petrol starts at 5.x lakhs. Its about as expensive as Swift Zxi.
Old 16th December 2008, 07:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Culprit is sure air pocket. Even I have experienced many times in my car, after tankful(When actually one can see petrol in tank pipe). If I push/shake my car little bit, air comes out and it can take 1-3 liters into it.

30 Kmpl is some unbelievable figure, we get these figures to read in auto magazines that XYZ car returned 30+ kmpl in standard test condition.

This experience should be verified at least two more times to speak, with ample proof.
Old 16th December 2008, 10:08   #35
BHPian

It could be possible, by my experience, my fabia TDI has returned a mileage of 25km/l once, around 2000-3000km on the odo. however, that was in may and we were sitting in the car with the AC on for some time, long runs at speeds higher than 120 do wonders to mileage in the diesel atleast, so I guess with a 1.2 petrol that speed should be slightly lower, these cars give you amazing figures if you drive them fast on highways consistently. Eg: i travelled mum-hyderabad-mum, I got an overall average on 18km/l but in hyderabad city itself where i drove a lot, my fuel consumption was showing as 20l/100 km, thats about 5km/l within the city where traffic was almost always at a standstill, considering this to be slightly inaccurate also, this car does extremely well on the highway and 30km/l is plausible if they were lucky to get less traffic and kept speeds of 100-110.
Old 16th December 2008, 11:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
guys
why are we berating jasher like this? What he has said is what he experienced. We have had Autocar come out with 31+ KMPL with Fiesta petrol isint it? Fabias is a smaller engine and lighter car. It can probably do 30 if driven very sensibly (probably thats what they did - drove it sensibly constant speeds and all)
On the other Fabia (mainly Diesels) thread most people report 15-20 KMPL in city.
Thank you for your support I guess I ll be doing a trip soon and updating on this. We did maintain a speed of 100 - 110 on the expressway as mentioned although touched 130 a couple of times and brought it down to 100 in a few seconds.

The car gives a mileage of 10 - 11 kmpl in Mumbai city traffic (he works at Nariman Point and its quite bad in the evenings to get to Breach Candy where he stays)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Culprit is sure air pocket. Even I have experienced many times in my car, after tankful(When actually one can see petrol in tank pipe). If I push/shake my car little bit, air comes out and it can take 1-3 liters into it.

30 Kmpl is some unbelievable figure, we get these figures to read in auto magazines that XYZ car returned 30+ kmpl in standard test condition.

This experience should be verified at least two more times to speak, with ample proof.
lets assume there is an air pocket (although the fuel almost came out during both refills) how much more fuel would you say could have gone in?

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th December 2008 at 17:57. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 17th December 2008, 03:33   #37
BHPian

I am sorry, Jasher, but I don't buy your 30 kpl claim at all. Either there has been an error in calculation / filling up or we can all conclude that Skoda has silently sold your friend a secret future-tech hybrid car. Some points to consider:

1. You state that you received 30 kpl in a trip that:
- entailed bad traffic from Matunga to Sion? I know that jam....On a stretch like that, and considering you drove from Kemps Corner, even a puny little Maruti 800 will be hard-pressed to beat 8 - 10 kpl. Plus, the 242 kms also includes 35 kms around Lonavla market which, as we all know, is heavily congested on weekends. Now, for you to get 30 kpl OVERALL despite the above-mentioned conditions, the Fabia would have to be sipping fuel at 40 kpl on the expressway runs. Let me assure you this is impossible.
- The li'l 1.2 liter would be spinning @ atleast 2,500 rpms at a speed of 130 kph. Even at 110 kph, it is spinning at well over 2,200 rpms. Translated, the car was operating outside of its most fuel-efficient zone.
- Remember, the fuel burn rate @ 110 is much greater in proportion than cruising at say....80 kph....primarily because of wind forces. Thus, you weren't driving the Fabia at optimum speed either.
- Had 4 OR 5 adults at all times with luggage. Translated, you were pretty much fully loaded.

In short, you claim that you have received ground-breaking mileage in a run that involved bumper-to-bumper traffic, less than ideal speeds, less than ideal rpm range and with a full passenger load?! Plus, you achieved a mileage that smaller, lighter, more efficient hatches are hard-pressed to meet? Gimme a break man, that's plain physics in play here.

2. We have more than 75 Fabia reviews in our ownership surveys. The AVERAGE Highway FE of several Fabia 1.2s is about 14.5. I don't see why your friends Fabia should be any different. Unless, again, Skoda has secretly loaded some future-tech in that car.

3. At the end of the day, the Fabia isn't exactly a fuel-efficient hatch. And if there was a "ideal" driving test that had the Fabia procure 30 kpl, other Jap / Korean hatches would get 45 kpl in the same ideal conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasher26 View Post
We started wondering about the high class engineering Skoda has given us and what a gem of a car this really is!
There is a substantial amount that we can decipher from this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I myself have achieved a 15kmpl in my E280CDI [3.0 litre turbo]on the Mumbai-Lonavala route on easy runs many times. Whenever I limit myself to max 120/130kmph on the expressway I achieve this figure
Scooby, remember that diesels are inherently more efficient than petrols. And the car in question is a relatively heavy hatch powered by an engine that isn't quite up to the task of propelling it properly.
Old 17th December 2008, 10:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
I am sorry, Jasher, but I don't buy your 30 kpl claim at all. Either there has been an error in calculation / filling up or we can all conclude that Skoda has silently sold your friend a secret future-tech hybrid car. Some points to consider:

1. You state that you received 30 kpl in a trip that:
- entailed bad traffic from Matunga to Sion? I know that jam....On a stretch like that, and considering you drove from Kemps Corner, even a puny little Maruti 800 will be hard-pressed to beat 8 - 10 kpl. Plus, the 242 kms also includes 35 kms around Lonavla market which, as we all know, is heavily congested on weekends. Now, for you to get 30 kpl OVERALL despite the above-mentioned conditions, the Fabia would have to be sipping fuel at 40 kpl on the expressway runs. Let me assure you this is impossible.
- The li'l 1.2 liter would be spinning @ atleast 2,500 rpms at a speed of 130 kph. Even at 110 kph, it is spinning at well over 2,200 rpms. Translated, the car was operating outside of its most fuel-efficient zone.
- Remember, the fuel burn rate @ 110 is much greater in proportion than cruising at say....80 kph....primarily because of wind forces. Thus, you weren't driving the Fabia at optimum speed either.
- Had 4 OR 5 adults at all times with luggage. Translated, you were pretty much fully loaded.

In short, you claim that you have received ground-breaking mileage in a run that involved bumper-to-bumper traffic, less than ideal speeds, less than ideal rpm range and with a full passenger load?! Plus, you achieved a mileage that smaller, lighter, more efficient hatches are hard-pressed to meet? Gimme a break man, that's plain physics in play here.

2. We have more than 75 Fabia reviews in our ownership surveys. The AVERAGE Highway FE of several Fabia 1.2s is about 14.5. I don't see why your friends Fabia should be any different. Unless, again, Skoda has secretly loaded some future-tech in that car.

3. At the end of the day, the Fabia isn't exactly a fuel-efficient hatch. And if there was a "ideal" driving test that had the Fabia procure 30 kpl, other Jap / Korean hatches would get 45 kpl in the same ideal conditions.

There is a substantial amount that we can decipher from this statement.

Scooby, remember that diesels are inherently more efficient than petrols. And the car in question is a relatively heavy hatch powered by an engine that isn't quite up to the task of propelling it properly.
its quite evident you do not like the Fabia, no offence. No there was no traffic in Lonavala as last weekend there were hardly any people who were there especially on Saturday when we went to the market and additionally there was absolutely no traffic on our return trip

The only way to silence you Fabia haters is for me to do a trip again and update the mileage. There is definitely some technology Skoda has got right with their engines which the Honda (Civic especially) and other manufacturers have not

My point as I mentioned earlier, if another friend of mine who has a Skoda RS does a Mumbai - Pune - Mumbai trip , cruise control at about 100kmph just to check the mileage, get a mileage of 20kmpl why cant the Fabia achieve higher?
Old 17th December 2008, 10:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
lets assume there is an air pocket (although the fuel almost came out during both refills) how much more fuel would you say could have gone in?
In a 65 liter tank of my vehicle around 42 more liters went in once after auto cut. Normally after fulling it up to brim visually and allowing it to settle 5 -10 liters more goes in, This is for a box like fuel tank it can be even more in case of tanks if they have irregular shape (more air pockets) to fit in hatch.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
its quite evident you do not like the Fabia, no offence.
The point of discussion is not if we hate fabia / not. Infact, many of us here like the fabia for its build, technology etc but 30kmpl? I dont think so. If that was the case, Skoda would have gone on a rampage advertising 30kmpl. Everyone here is trying to is state the facts.

Quote:
The only way to silence you Fabia haters is for me to do a trip again and update the mileage. There is definitely some technology Skoda has got right with their engines which the Honda (Civic especially) and other manufacturers have not
Dont disagree with this. Please go ahead. If it really does give 30kmpl, trust me you would have many more fabia buyers.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Fully agree with GTO's discourse.

Jasher - first of all estimating the fuel consumed based on "full tank" to "full tank" is wrong.

The reason is that if we go to two different pumps for a "tank full" - it is observed that each pump will cut-off at different tank level.
Second, even at same pump - if you go twice - the tank full readings at two different instances will not be that same.

Infact a more sure shot (but not very accurate) way of determining the fuel consumption is by checking what your tank needle indicates.

Second point - which GTO missed in his analysis is that climbing the expresway to lonavla is no child's play - unless you were trudging at 10-20 kmph.
No way are you going to get 30 kmpl.

Damn, I can't get 30 kmpl on that stretch (not exactly - but the old highway) even on my Enfield.

And the less we talk about Bombay's bumper to bumper traffic, the better.

My advice : do the trip again. And please don't rely on "auto full tank cut off" for measuring how much fuel is consumed by the engine.
Use the tank level needle to get a ballpark figure.
That would suffice.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:55   #42
BHPian

Guys, these things have been discussed before. There are other cars as well which can give a tough fight to the Fabia.

Finally found the thread I was looking for.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...o-reading.html
Old 17th December 2008, 12:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Jasher26, no one is berating Fabia. It's nice compact hatch with excellent build quality. The debate is about abnormally high FE figure.

Reliable way to settle it either way is to measure FE over couple of other long distance runs. If you still get the same or similar figure, entire Skoda marketing team should be fired with immediate effect
Old 17th December 2008, 13:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

jasher, why dont you post the current in-city mileage your friend is getting from his Fabia? That will give some idea about highway mileage, without taking the trouble of driving all the way to Lonavala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Guys, these things have been discussed before. There are other cars as well which can give a tough fight to the Fabia.

Finally found the thread I was looking for.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...o-reading.html
Dude, thats a diesel. What is the point in comparing highway mileages of diesels and petrols??

Last edited by amitoj : 17th December 2008 at 13:03.
Old 17th December 2008, 13:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
its quite evident you do not like the Fabia
Quote:
The only way to silence you Fabia haters is for me to do a trip again and update the mileage.
Quote:
There is definitely some technology Skoda has got right with their engines which the Honda (Civic especially) and other manufacturers have not
C'mon now, dont get into Fabia-hating. There arent nearly enough of these cars around - how can you hate something that you cant see?

You've walked into an automotive forum and made a claim about an overweight and underpowered hatch giving you a mileage of 30kmpl with a full load complement of 5 adults and their luggage.

You seriously didnt expect that to go unchallenged out here, did you? You dont need computers to work this one out.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks