Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 21:59   #1
BHPian

Booked Safari EX 4x2

Last week i posted a thread asking for advice on whether to settle in for a SUV or a Sedan or hold back from any purchase, the mods felt that i was inquiring on the safari and the optra and locked the thread. Definitely not happy about it though.

But then, just like like some other safari owner in the forum said, "i went by my heart" and booked a arctic silver safari EX in Reach Tata (Tafe) on saturday. Apart from the revised prices after the CENVAT cut, got a good 30k discount because of the current end of year discounts running and also managed to wiggle out free 3M coat, glass tinting etc.

The colour which i wanted was not in stock with the dealer, so they had to place a booking with tata and today the dealer called and confirmed that the truck would be delivered on or before 25th for sure. Waiting for the days to by before 25th arrives.

Bidding goodbye for my beloved Palio tomorrow.
Old 17th December 2008, 05:36   #2
BHPian

Congrats Timj. cheers:

I can imagine your anticipation, for the vehicle and to start reclaiming.
Old 17th December 2008, 08:40   #3
BHPian

Congrats on living your dream timj. Post pictures once you get your truck
Old 17th December 2008, 09:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj View Post
Last week i posted a thread asking for advice on whether to settle in for a SUV or a Sedan or hold back from any purchase, the mods felt that i was inquiring on the safari and the optra and locked the thread. Definitely not happy about it though.
When i bought my Safari last year, my 2 options at the time were were Optra and Safari. And i can tell you based on my 1yr+ of ownership that you will never regret your decision cheers:.

One input though -- I would suggest you stretch and get yourself the 4X4 instead of the 4X2 as it will open up a whole new dimension.
Old 17th December 2008, 09:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations mate!

I'm also looking for a old SAFARI. Hope to bid goodbye to my beloved SIERRA and upgrade
Old 17th December 2008, 09:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
One input though -- I would suggest you stretch and get yourself the 4X4 instead of the 4X2 as it will open up a whole new dimension.
Well, actually wanted to go for the VX, but, both the VX and EX 4x4 were beyond my budget :(

I wanted to upgrade the steel rims on the EX to the OE alloys which comes on the VX. Dealer quoting me a price of Rs.35k which i felt was way too expensive. Few of the safari owners have upgraded to VX OE alloys before. What price did you pay? Any ideas?
Old 17th December 2008, 10:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratscheers:! Now get ready to make your own road.......
Old 17th December 2008, 10:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. One input though -- I would suggest you stretch and get yourself the 4X4 instead of the 4X2 as it will open up a whole new dimension.
Quote:
Well, actually wanted to go for the VX, but, both the VX and EX 4x4 were beyond my budget :(..
@timj: PLEASEEEEEEEEE... beg, borrow, steal. do whatever you want but get a 4x4 for yourself in the safari. This is once in a lifetime opportunity and don't let it pass by.

If required start a thread on 'I want contributions to buy a 4x4 safari'.

Buy a 4x4 safari man. Nothing like it.

Cheers,
Old 17th December 2008, 10:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats
and as everyone is saying try to stretch your budget for a 4X4

Damn Tata's you need to roll out a LX-4X4
Old 17th December 2008, 11:16   #10
BHPian

congrats dude,

have a blast and i can imagine the inexorable wait for the car to arrive... if there is a little bit of scope to stretch - go with a 4x4...

if you're already sc&^%$d... enjoy whats on its way!!! i own a 4x2 and i have managed to throw a fair amount of abuse at her already
Old 17th December 2008, 11:21   #11
BANNED

This is very easy to say but if possible, stretch and get the EX 4x4 - you'll get the OE alloys (all 5 of them) and a sophisticated headlight adjuster that will change your world.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Well, actually wanted to go for the VX, but, both the VX and EX 4x4 were beyond my budget :(

I wanted to upgrade the steel rims on the EX to the OE alloys which comes on the VX. Dealer quoting me a price of Rs.35k which i felt was way too expensive. Few of the safari owners have upgraded to VX OE alloys before. What price did you pay? Any ideas?

Let me sell the 4X4 to you --
1) Price diff between 4X2 and 4X4 ~90k
2) You get --
a) Alloys worth 35k in 4X4
b) Stiffer suspension and better cornering -- HimanshuGoswami can vouch for this
c) Peace of mind that you will not get stuck and need someone to tow you out (in most day2day conditions atleast) -- priceless
d) Entry to the 4X4 club -- make your own road: Look at what the bad boys of bangalore did over this weekend and then tell me that you do not want a 4X4 cheers:
e) look at the number of people with 4X2 on this forum who want to modify their vehicle to 4X4 -- no repentance -- priceless
Old 17th December 2008, 12:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

tata used to have a 4x4 option in the LX but strangely they dicontinued it about 6 months before the 2.2 was launched. I would have blindly picked that one up had it been available. and yes, that too came with the alloys.

Also, since every 4x4 is made to order, wonder why Tata will not buld an LX 4x4 on order too? makes no sense.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Let me sell the 4X4 to you --
1) Price diff between 4X2 and 4X4 ~90k
2) You get --
a) Alloys worth 35k in 4X4
b) Stiffer suspension and better cornering -- HimanshuGoswami can vouch for this
c) Peace of mind that you will not get stuck and need someone to tow you out (in most day2day conditions atleast) -- priceless
d) Entry to the 4X4 club -- make your own road: Look at what the bad boys of bangalore did over this weekend and then tell me that you do not want a 4X4 cheers:
e) look at the number of people with 4X2 on this forum who want to modify their vehicle to 4X4 -- no repentance -- priceless
dude,

you're evil.

stop further denting his already dented budget, the guys in the ICE section haven't got their claws into him yet!!

tim - just stick with the ruddy 4x2 - she'll do fine man....

himanshu - just simply tata's means of preserving sales of the ex 4x4 and charging the premium they do...

a 4x4 lx would almost wipe out ex 4x4 sales, simply because a lot of people (myself included) would happily pay ex 4x2 prices for an lx 4x4 without the frills - but i will not stretch to ex 4x4 prices since i think the premiums are unjustified... mind you with what mahindras have done with the m hawk - i think tata's have come out smelling of roses!!!

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 17th December 2008 at 12:38. Reason: wanted to reply to himanshu as well.
Old 17th December 2008, 13:37   #15
BHPian

I can see the added advantages, but (unfortunately) i need to stick to the EX 4x2 for the fact that booking has been made and even if I am able to change the booking, i need to wait a longer time for the 4x4 to be custom made and then the wait might extend beyond december end and i may loose the year end discounts as well :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
This is very easy to say but if possible, stretch and get the EX 4x4 - you'll get the OE alloys (all 5 of them) and a sophisticated headlight adjuster that will change your world.
I understand on the OE alloys, but the headlight adjuster, isn't it standard in call cars nowadays? i mean the one in which you can level your headlight beams.

Also any confirmation on of the 35k for OE alloys are the right pricing?

Most Viewed