Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Timj,

Congrats and wish that you get your ride tomorrow itself.

Do not forget the T-BHP PDI checklist.
Old 24th December 2008, 10:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
As for alloy wheels, I saw a post here: for 17.5K. May reduce if you bargain hard. I don't know if they are still available or sold.

Team-BHP Classifieds - TATA SAFARI OE ALLOYS - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Cheers,
Grab them before some one else does so , Finding right after market alloy for Safari is a pain. Finding right PCD with shiny taiwan made chrome alloyes is next to impossible and you will visit workshop multiple times to adjust the inner plastic trims of wheel bay due to tire fouling

In case you do not get these go for Aura 6.5 J 16 Inch meant for Safari will cost around 29 K.
Old 27th December 2008, 14:12   #48
BHPian

Update

Did not get it on the 24th nor the 26th, but hopefully will get it on monday The dealer says, the truck got delayed and got caught in Krishnagiri and arrived only yesterday. Today (saturday) no RTO. So vehicle will be sent in for registration on monday.

Just got back after paying the remaining amount. Scratched a lucky card for assured gift and won a Tata Indicom walky talky. Looks like some sort of cord-less phone. It comes with 1 year free talk time, didnt care to get to much of its specifics about the plan etc

Waiting for monday the d-day
Old 29th December 2008, 23:13   #49
BHPian

Moment Arrived :)

Finally the moment arrived and I took delivery of my truck. Was supposed to there at the dealiership by 5:30 PM, the car was ready by 3, but made it only by 6. Rushed to inspect the car before it got too dark. Everything was perfect. The odo had clocked 100k (due to the fair distance between the yard, RTO and the showroom the person incharge explained). Happily drove the truck home and parked it. On the way i noticed,
1) Rattling from the driver door. Very prominent and comes up even when you hit a small pot hole
2) Parking lamp, left side not working.
These 2 makes me wonder if there was any PDI done at all.
Anyways, i am taking the truck back to the dealership to get my free sunfilm fixed. Will ask them to check on these issues as well.

Also i notice, the gear gets sort of stuck when trying to shift to the first gear from neutral and same from neutral to reverse. Abhiknov in his initial review also seems to have mentioned the same thing

As a pleaset surprise, a ipod cable has come as part of of the apline stereo which came with the truck.

Also noticiced, i am sure this is a bug, I dont seem to be able to switch the headlights to low beam at all. When i switch on the headlights, the blue indicators on the dash comes on. I am not able to move the headlight stick backwards to go to low beam. When i pull the stick towards myself, there is no diffrence since the high beam is already on. Is this a characteristic or a bug? also i dont seem to switch on the front fogs, but i ready about this elsewhere in the forums on how to do it, will search for it.

Managed to take a few snaps, but due to badlight, nothing to shout about. Will post them first thing in the morning.
Old 30th December 2008, 03:56   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj View Post
Finally the moment arrived and I took delivery of my truck.
At last.... Many Congrats, and I'm sure the initial niggles will get sorted out when you take your Safari for the sunfilm.
Old 30th December 2008, 09:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!

Hope you rose early and went for a drive

The gear part is a known issue which will get fine after it does couple of thousands.
The fog lamp switch on the first one or so on far left side of the series of switches you have on the dash.
Old 1st January 2009, 20:38   #52
BHPian

woes continue

Well, went to the service got the sunfilm stuck, the headlights and rattles fixed. The gear was lubricated, but the service engineer said the same what jkdas pointed out
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The gear part is a known issue which will get fine after it does couple of thousands.
Been driving around the city since, and enjoying the new experience.

This morning, when i took the car out of the drive, i noticed a considerable amount of oil (i assumed engine oil) on the drive. When i got back from the commute, i parked the car back inside and put myself under the car to see what was happening. There is this black plate, which i assume is the sump guard, which has got sponge on top. The oil had dripped on the sponge and the sponge got soaked and oil had dripped on the floor. I immediately called the service adviser again who adviced me to bring the vehicle back again to the service center (2nd time in 4 days of ownership, me an none in my family are amused) , the mechanics took a look at it , worked on it for a while and said it was a leak near the entry to the oil filter and it was fixed. I then got back home around, parked the car and now this evening, when i check again, i see oil drips on on the floor but insides of my left tyre. Looks like the oil is dripping from around the left edge of the sump guard. I am very disappointed for the fact that this experience takes off the excitement of owning the vehicle. I am also scared after reading a similar experience of another person in the forum who had this issue for several months, spanning several trips to the service before it was fixed. Hope mine is just not that serious. Anybody has any prior experience like this with their new safaris? is it common? What was the issue in your case

Thanks and wishing everyone a Happy New Year!!!!
Old 1st January 2009, 21:56   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Well, went to the service got the sunfilm stuck, the headlights and rattles fixed. The gear was lubricated, but the service engineer said the same what jkdas pointed out

Been driving around the city since, and enjoying the new experience.

This morning, when i took the car out of the drive, i noticed a considerable amount of oil (i assumed engine oil) on the drive. When i got back from the commute, i parked the car back inside and put myself under the car to see what was happening. There is this black plate, which i assume is the sump guard, which has got sponge on top. The oil had dripped on the sponge and the sponge got soaked and oil had dripped on the floor. I immediately called the service adviser again who adviced me to bring the vehicle back again to the service center (2nd time in 4 days of ownership, me an none in my family are amused) , the mechanics took a look at it , worked on it for a while and said it was a leak near the entry to the oil filter and it was fixed. I then got back home around, parked the car and now this evening, when i check again, i see oil drips on on the floor but insides of my left tyre. Looks like the oil is dripping from around the left edge of the sump guard. I am very disappointed for the fact that this experience takes off the excitement of owning the vehicle. I am also scared after reading a similar experience of another person in the forum who had this issue for several months, spanning several trips to the service before it was fixed. Hope mine is just not that serious. Anybody has any prior experience like this with their new safaris? is it common? What was the issue in your case

Thanks and wishing everyone a Happy New Year!!!!
You need to send a stinker to TML through their website and copy the mail to a few seniors at TML to get their heads rolling and then things will work out. I am sure a few veterans will help you by providing mail ids of the bosses at TML.

Don't loose heart. Such things generally come as a part of the Safari experience. Once these are sorted out, you'll not be disappointed.
Old 2nd January 2009, 08:08   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Also noticiced, i am sure this is a bug, I dont seem to be able to switch the headlights to low beam at all. When i switch on the headlights, the blue indicators on the dash comes on. I am not able to move the headlight stick backwards to go to low beam. When i pull the stick towards myself, there is no diffrence since the high beam is already on. Is this a characteristic or a bug?
Characteristic - you need to pull the stick towards you for L -> H and H -> L. Unlike other vehicles where one would push the stick away for H and pull towards yourself for flashing, in the Safari all actions are pull the stick towards yourself.

All this is mentioned in the manual.

Watch out with the clutch pedal - it goes down deeper than what most are used to. Make sure you press it fully before shifting gears. Shifting into first and reverse is NOT an issue if you press the clutch fully.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:20   #55
BHPian

Timj-: Congrats on the Safari.

Sad to hear that you are having oil leaks so early. Seems like TATA has yet to improve in these smal issue which really affect the overall ownership experience. Just imagine the SAFARI with none of these niggles.
Old 2nd January 2009, 20:46   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Characteristic - you need to pull the stick towards you for L -> H and H -> L. Unlike other vehicles where one would push the stick away for H and pull towards yourself for flashing, in the Safari all actions are pull the stick towards yourself.

All this is mentioned in the manual.
Yes, i did read the manual, but i did not expect the action to be a nudge to the stick, i expected it to sort of slide between H&L like the conventional ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Watch out with the clutch pedal - it goes down deeper than what most are used to. Make sure you press it fully before shifting gears. Shifting into first and reverse is NOT an issue if you press the clutch fully.
Yes, i do a full clutch, i am very careful about that . Also speaking of clutch, i did not notice this during the TD, there is no dead pedal :(, instead there is sort of a bulge in the area coming in from the center console. BUT if i manage to wiggle my toes past the clutch and extend my legs, there is acres of room to extend my legs, but the risk is that i will not be able bring back my foot back on to the clutch pedal quickly

As far as my leak woes are concerned, the guys from tafe quickly picked up the vehicle at 10:00 AM, fixed the issue and dropped back the vehicle in my office by 4:00, They say the issue has been fixed by changing the oil filter and connecting pipes/hose. Gotto to wait till morning to check for leaks

Other than this, planning to get the truck some ICE upgrades on Sunday and also a reverse camera fitted, will keep posting updates
Cheers
Old 3rd January 2009, 16:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the ownership, do keep us updated on the miles you crunch.
Old 3rd January 2009, 21:04   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Palio to Safari thats quite an upgrade!!
Congratulations!! About the initial niggles, as someone put it, they come with TATA's vehicles as STANDARD across all models.
Hope you get them rectified in time and without much hassle.

Happy trucking!!!
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:30   #59
KVS
BHPian

Congratulations Timj!!

I guess these problems are part and parcel of Safari. Enjoy the beast. It just glides on the highways.

Cheers..

KVS
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

hey,

Congats on new safari, start reclaiming your life

do post some pics please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks