Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2009, 22:20   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
As per my opinion, the MUV can compete with the innova with ABS/airbags added.
Hey, we're going way beyond just looks here! What about the total long term ownership experience?
Old 16th February 2009, 14:30   #212
Senior - BHPian

Well said Raj, I would completely agree with you.

However if they can bring in the changes in the interiors they have done in the Xylo the Scorpio will be more value for money.

The target audience for Xylo & Scorpio would not be the same, it would rather be akin to an Innova, but for the cost factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i have payed 11 lakhs for the mHawk just for that amazing ENGINE. the TD tempted me to go for the scorpio mHawk irrespective of the price & the credit goes to the hawk. engine, some sensors/electronics & looks apart, there is nothing special the mHawk offers when compared to the xylo.

those investing in the xylo dont care a damn for its looks, they are more interested in its space, practicality & useability. that said, i feel Xylo & Scorpio has a different set of customers. if i was to choose between the scorpio & xylo, i would choose the scorpio even now (the new scorpio looks great!).
Old 16th February 2009, 19:44   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

They always bring the top end model as DEMO CAR for test drives.While driving around with the MPV, I was asking the dealership man as to what features do not come with the E 4 and the E 6 models? I had driven the E 8.The engine feels extra refined and though the diesel clatter exists its not as pronounced as the Mahindras made even five years back.The fifth gear engaged at speeds of 50kmph plus is cool to drive.Taking the Fiat MJD 1.3 doing its duty in the Swift/DZire as the benchmark in common rail diesels for this class, the 2.5 CRDe of the Xylo is nowhere as refined but not at all crude either. The Innova engine is also much more refined.
But the Xylo for its price is a class apart. The solid bodyshell cocoons occupants and the potholes and minor road angularities are not felt within the cabin.Using a Bolero for some 7-8 years now, I must say that the Xylo feels much more secure and is two generations ahead.
Old 20th February 2009, 11:29   #214
Senior - BHPian

Just TD'd the Xylo on a mix of narrow roads with huge speed breakers, a widish road and a decent off-road stretch.

Subjective:

It does not look nearly as offensive as in the pictures - especially the darker colours. Even the interiors are not horrible looking like they appear in 2D - quite ok, in fact. The old Santro interiors continue to rule the what-were-they-thinking stakes. The interior space is nice in all rows. The last seat has weirdly placed headrests though, and upper back support might be an issue for average heighters such as myself.

The A/C seemed quite adequate, and not obtrusively noisy. Audio - as with most cost-effective cars - will do just about ok. The knobs and handles etc seem ok - nothing alarming. One too many monitors providing all kinds of needless inputs. I'd have preferred the suspension to provide some of that instead - oops wrong section.

Engine/Gearing:

Gruffy, rough, weak. The car had done 1740 kms, and the gears were tough to slot. First was in a totally different continent, and everything up to third is terribly short, and slots with effort. Also, holding on to the gear knob, like I love doing in the City, inside city traffic, is something to be awarded purely as punishment - the putter-patter vibes throughout the rpm band are crazy! Did not enjoy changing gears, and needed to change them a lot.

Suspension/GC/Handling:

Personally, its way better at 40-60 than at 0-40 - its crazy there even on good roads and over/through minor obstacles. The front bobs up and down like a boat in choppy waters, and different ends of the rather tall vehicle are constantly changing altitudes and not necessarily in the same direction at the same time. Have not sailed much, but can start to imagine what sea-sickness must feel like.

I also did not find the "body roll" (i.e. pitching to one side or the other along the central axis) too bad upto 60-70 either during cornering or overtaking. It was the bobbing/wobbling that was bad. It actually did great on marginally broken road, but the first decent dip followed by the climb out of it as the rear went in unsettled it completely! I did the the off-road stretch at 30-40 throughout, and I don't think the vehicles 4 wheels know or care the others exist.

Acceleration is pedestrian, tho from 40 I could find adequate overtaking power in city. The steering is quite well done - as point as shoot as the funny suspension allows it to be - and the turning radius is very city friendly.

I'd suspect this is a great vehicle for large families which leave the driving to the chauffer, or take lots of breaks on long trips. I don't know about seat comfort, because I never got comfortable with the driving itself. I was wishing for the TD to come to an end asap - and am not ever getting into that driver's seat again.

Qn: since its coils all around, I'm wondering what kind of changes can be made for stiffening things up a little, and what this will feel like. With that, and some vibes being sorted out, its a very very VFM package! It was also cute to see "Ingenio" on some of the pieces under the hood

Last edited by zenx : 20th February 2009 at 11:35. Reason: typos, typos :(
Old 20th February 2009, 11:36   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Qn: since its coils all around, I'm wondering what kind of changes can be made for stiffening things up a little, and what this will feel like.
Will the Bilsteins which Pete offers for the Scorp help sort things out here on the Xylo as well?
Old 12th March 2009, 13:14   #216
Senior - BHPian

Xylo Seats

Members, is it possible to fit Xylo's seats in a Safari? especially the middle row?
Old 13th March 2009, 15:53   #217
Senior - BHPian

A good review zenx, the car is not bad at all, the interiors are spacious, drive is decent and the price at which it is being offered it is good VFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Just TD'd the Xylo on a mix of narrow roads with huge speed breakers, a widish road and a decent off-road stretch.

Subjective:

It does not look nearly as offensive as in the pictures - especially the darker colours. Even the interiors are not horrible looking like they appear in 2D - quite ok, in fact. The old Santro interiors continue to rule the what-were-they-thinking stakes. The interior space is nice in all rows. The last seat has weirdly placed headrests though, and upper back support might be an issue for average heighters such as myself.

The A/C seemed quite adequate, and not obtrusively noisy. Audio - as with most cost-effective cars - will do just about ok. The knobs and handles etc seem ok - nothing alarming. One too many monitors providing all kinds of needless inputs. I'd have preferred the suspension to provide some of that instead - oops wrong section.

Engine/Gearing:

Gruffy, rough, weak. The car had done 1740 kms, and the gears were tough to slot. First was in a totally different continent, and everything up to third is terribly short, and slots with effort. Also, holding on to the gear knob, like I love doing in the City, inside city traffic, is something to be awarded purely as punishment - the putter-patter vibes throughout the rpm band are crazy! Did not enjoy changing gears, and needed to change them a lot.

Suspension/GC/Handling:

Personally, its way better at 40-60 than at 0-40 - its crazy there even on good roads and over/through minor obstacles. The front bobs up and down like a boat in choppy waters, and different ends of the rather tall vehicle are constantly changing altitudes and not necessarily in the same direction at the same time. Have not sailed much, but can start to imagine what sea-sickness must feel like.

I also did not find the "body roll" (i.e. pitching to one side or the other along the central axis) too bad upto 60-70 either during cornering or overtaking. It was the bobbing/wobbling that was bad. It actually did great on marginally broken road, but the first decent dip followed by the climb out of it as the rear went in unsettled it completely! I did the the off-road stretch at 30-40 throughout, and I don't think the vehicles 4 wheels know or care the others exist.

Acceleration is pedestrian, tho from 40 I could find adequate overtaking power in city. The steering is quite well done - as point as shoot as the funny suspension allows it to be - and the turning radius is very city friendly.

I'd suspect this is a great vehicle for large families which leave the driving to the chauffer, or take lots of breaks on long trips. I don't know about seat comfort, because I never got comfortable with the driving itself. I was wishing for the TD to come to an end asap - and am not ever getting into that driver's seat again.

Qn: since its coils all around, I'm wondering what kind of changes can be made for stiffening things up a little, and what this will feel like. With that, and some vibes being sorted out, its a very very VFM package! It was also cute to see "Ingenio" on some of the pieces under the hood
Old 14th March 2009, 17:53   #218
BANNED

Hi Guys,

I had the a TD of the XYLO today.it was sometime back that i registered in the xylo's website for a TD.

The vehicle had come from direct mahindra and not a dealer.It was a Parrot Green xylo (not a good colour thought)

in simple words....
  1. The interiors were better that TATA MUVs.but could be better
  2. The AC throw was too good and cooling too was excellent(it was 12noon when i drove it with 7ppl on board)
  3. Engine noise is acceptable (not bad at all)
  4. Pick up was good
  5. Some how i felt scorpio steering was smoother
  6. Turning radius was too good for its size
  7. The front view was little obstructing due to the huge hump in the middle of the dash.okay it can be managed,but shorted drivers will have problems
  8. The airline like seats are a good idea ,but how many of us are going to use it??And we might use it only when on long drives and long drives will be mostly with family and friends .So how can you sleep when other are sitting ?? am i right??
  9. I dont know how will the vehicle respond during the cornering as it is tall and high from the ground.
Over all 7/10 is my judgement

Please let me know your comments
Old 14th March 2009, 18:31   #219
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
The vehicle had come from direct mahindra and not a dealer.It was a Parrot Green xylo (not a good colour thought)
When we went for the TD, that colour was what my wife liked the most!
Old 15th March 2009, 18:26   #220
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

When we went for the TD, that colour was what my wife liked the most!
Man colour preferences change from person to person.dont mind it
Old 16th March 2009, 17:49   #221
Senior - BHPian

The interiors of the car are well done & thoughtful

The cooling is excellent due to duel AC and roof mounted vents.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I had the a TD of the XYLO today.it was sometime back that i registered in the xylo's website for a TD.

in simple words....
  1. The interiors were better that TATA MUVs.but could be better
  2. The AC throw was too good and cooling too was excellent(it was 12noon when i drove it with 7ppl on board)
  3. Engine noise is acceptable (not bad at all)
  4. Pick up was good
  5. Some how i felt scorpio steering was smoother
  6. Turning radius was too good for its size
  7. The front view was little obstructing due to the huge hump in the middle of the dash.okay it can be managed,but shorted drivers will have problems
  8. The airline like seats are a good idea ,but how many of us are going to use it??And we might use it only when on long drives and long drives will be mostly with family and friends .So how can you sleep when other are sitting ?? am i right??
  9. I dont know how will the vehicle respond during the cornering as it is tall and high from the ground.
Over all 7/10 is my judgement

Please let me know your comments
Old 16th March 2009, 20:13   #222
BHPian

My friend bought a Xylo and Today I got to drive his Xylo. The car is an excellent drive. Has very good balance and good turning radius. Interiors are also not bad. The best part I liked was the pricing.
Old 16th March 2009, 20:19   #223
BHPian

Xylo is an excellent People Mover. Mahindra did a smart thing by bringing out a reasonably priced people mover. Even if it can do its work for 5 years, its completely worth it. I say it is a good people mover because it not only has the comfort of interiors, but it also has a good drive stability with eight people sitting inside it.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:52   #224
sandeep sharma

well as per the review posted i feel the xylo is a more superior car within its segment and it is clearly better than the innova and as per the price and its features it sounds to be a successful one in the near future.

Old 3rd November 2009, 18:16   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was a Parrot Green xylo (not a good colour thought)
Its called mint green. I almost bought it.

The sales guy told me it was like the green on the santro. There were not many cars around then for me to see. Something told me to go for t.red and I am happy I did just that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks