Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:09   #181
BHPian

M&M sells 1,788 XYLO in two weeks

Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., (M&M), one of India’s leading automobile companies, announced that the recently launched Mahindra XYLO has sold 1,788 nos. in two weeks, with the first vehicle delivered on January16, 2009. Moreover, bookings for the XYLO have crossed the 4,000 mark since launch.

Indiainfoline.com-Top stories,Leader speak,company news,sector news,Market talk,lifestyle,budget,market today,global indicators

Initial euphoria or a winner ? we will know in a few months.

But early numbers are not bad for a 6 lac+ / unit vehicle.
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:12   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Initial euphoria or a winner ? we will know in a few months.

But early numbers are not bad for a 6 lac+ / unit vehicle.
Xylo is definitely going to be a winner....why it won't be so, I see no reason for that...such a great VFM with M&M reliability. I am eagerly waiting for it's launch with ABS & mHawk.

Cheers!!!

Last edited by deepgautam_qa : 3rd February 2009 at 11:13.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:31   #183
Senior - BHPian

an insider from mahindra told me that mahindra has received 8500 bookings for xylo till now. also, a version with ABS & airbags is coming soon.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:35   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
an insider from mahindra told me that mahindra has received 8500 bookings for xylo till now.
If all of these fructify, that alone will make the day for M&M!!
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:29   #185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
That got me thinking if there's a relationship between the intelligence of people and the car they buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- 'Nuff said!

GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Henceforth (after this message) any further arguments on M&M's vehicles and the idiocy or intelligence of their buyers on this TD thread will be viewed in a dim light.
Totally OT: Things seem to have changed. Or have they?
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:10   #186
Team-BHP Support

Well, a friend of mine looked at the Xylo, hated it but plans to buy it.

Qhy? - his mother hates the Innova and he needs something to transport the dog
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:44   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

something is happening similar to what happened with innova.

initially, everybody hated its looks but still bought it for its practicality. i am sure, xylo will follow the same path.

@ anup: yes... and the source is very reliable.
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:45   #188
BHPian

Guys - does anyone know the on road price for the top end model (mumbai) ,
we have a scorpio as our family car.. now 5 year old with 120+ on the odo.. was strongly looking at an innova but with the xylo... i feel sticking to M&M would make more sense.. also the fact that scorpio did not give way to any major maintanence..
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:02   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelhemals View Post
Guys - does anyone know the on road price for the top end model (mumbai) ,
we have a scorpio as our family car.. now 5 year old with 120+ on the odo.. was strongly looking at an innova but with the xylo... i feel sticking to M&M would make more sense.. also the fact that scorpio did not give way to any major maintanence..
Its 8.4lac OTR here at Tvm for the E8 one. Guess this should help you a bit.
Old 4th February 2009, 03:08   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

I see the demo vehicle on an elevated platform - that makes the vehicle look like its broken down and hoisted on a lift, everyday on the way to office. When I saw it first, I thought its front aesthetics looked better than the Scorpio. But I changed my mind after looking at the same sight everyday.
Old 5th February 2009, 17:05   #191
BHPian

Xylo test drive:-
First things first. I was reading a lot about high speed stability of xylo.
So, I had a test drive of E8. I had registered for test drive of the vehicle at their website. Here is the summary of the test drive.

Interiors:-
The plastic quality is cheap, to say the least. It is hard plastic, that goes takk takk when you tap it, but considering the fact that xylo starts at app 7 lacs it is not below standard.
The AC knob was precise to work with.
The automatic window buttons are not where they should be, although they are on windows, but they are far behind the most comfortable position. The whole vehicle is very high so getting into and getting out is very awkward. The side rails are not of much help.
The third row space is excellent. The seats are good and well cushioned, the lumbar support is a useful feature for long drives.
The driver side armrest is too high and too narrow for comfort.
I personally hated the use of purple color for the inner lining of glove box and bottle holder. Overall the vehicle lacks on sophistication. The Interior esthetics are way way below the european standard.

Ride and Handling:-
This vehicle can be driven for long. The driving position is nice. The suspension is decent, with no nasty surprises. Not much of suspension noise filters to cabin.
The ride height is not idle, driver sits very high. although that help in visibility but that gives some body roll to the vehicle, but its nothing nasty.
The brakes are quite good and had good bite, but there is one issue. If you brake hard and try to change direction and same time, the whole vehicle goes into a wavy and yawy motion.
i drove the xylo upto 130 Kmph on NH8, it did not felt bad in straight line. infact it felt quite planted.

Engine, gear and steering wheel:-
I think engine is a gem. It pulled effortlessly from 45 kmph to 120 kmph in fifth gear. After app 3200 rpm the engine gets boomy. It is very torquey, i left the thing rolling in 3rd gear without putting a foot on accelerator. There is a nice woooossshhhhh sound when you put your foot down. I liked it. There is not much turbo lag. Full marks to mahindra for this. At 3000 rpm in fifth gear the vehicle was cruising effortlessly at 120 kmph. It will be a great mile muncher.
The worst part of the car is the chasis. if xylo goes over potholes and you are holding the gear stick, your hands shakes with the whole power train. the gear stick is directly attached to transmission (no cables here), so the vibrations in gear stick are too much. the throw of gears is very long and awkward. The xylo is not the car for you if you like to keep one hand on gear lever for most of the time while driving.
The steering was hard and was not easy to operate.

NVH:-
There is not much sound insulation beneath the hood so engine noise does filter into cabin, but it is not very loud. The whole vehicle needs sound insulation badly. There were not much rattles in the vehicle.

ICE:-
the ICE was good by my standard, which is very very relaxed. i did not pay much attention to it.

AC:-
The AC was very effective. But i did not liked the shape of high mounted AC vents in the dash board. Xylo has separate coils for cooling the rear seats and the speed for the rear seat AC can be controlled independent of the speed at front.

Visibility:-
There is good visibility all around.

Misc:-
i did not like the 15 inch 215/75 tyres. But there was no tyre noise that filtered into the cabin at high speeds. The alloys look good though.
A one generation old petrol Toyota corolla had a very tough time keeping up with this vehicle.
I am guessing that the vehicle can go rattle free for years, and on top of that now mahindra is giving 2 year extended warranty for free.
The thing looks decent. It is not as big or bulky as it is made out to be in the pics. It does not look disproportionate.
Old 5th February 2009, 18:52   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am just curios to know if any of the sales of the Xylo have come at the cost of the Bolero? We'll know when monthly numbers are released for both?
Old 5th February 2009, 21:27   #193
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

its a question of value proposition which I must say, the Xylo is completely true to.
we are a value seeking cost/ price conscious nation (for the most part) so I believe most definitely the xylo will do amazingly well with its space, features, comfort and practicality.
good show m&m!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
an insider from mahindra told me that mahindra has received 8500 bookings for xylo till now. also, a version with ABS & airbags is coming soon.
Old 5th February 2009, 22:29   #194
Senior - BHPian

today i had a short encounter with this crazy xylo guy! i was returning from byculla to powai in my mHawk through the eastern express highway (mumbaikars may know)... now after sion, this highway can be a real treat to max your car (except for the not-so-smooth road surface) & after the chunnabhatti signal, this lucky lilac coloured xylo overtook me from the left. since there was a truck on his way, he just gave his right signal and cut right into my path which forced me to brake hard. the xylo was temp registration & the way the person was driving made me feel scared. he was at 110 kmph and he was weaving left & right without any concern to the other road users. after a few kms, he cut in front of me AGAIN forcing me to brake hard, this was near ghatkopar. then i was in no mood to let go & unleashed all the boy racer in me, downshifted & wringed the neck of the hawk. that said, the xylo though fast is not a match for the scorpio. he could keep up with me but could not overtake me... in short, the eagle is not as fast as the hawk. AND I AM HAPPY ABOUT THAT!
Old 6th February 2009, 09:57   #195
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I am just curios to know if any of the sales of the Xylo have come at the cost of the Bolero? We'll know when monthly numbers are released for both?
IMO people who are considering Bolero XL will move towards Xylo as the purpose is to move maximum people, but the shorter wheel base Bolero sales will not get affected

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks