Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2009, 22:31   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I have sat in a Scorpio many times and going by this (admittedly one opinon) it seems Mahindra has continued its tradition of swinging and rolling.
As promised they always give you a roller-coaster ride

BTW what does Xylo means.

The ad also showed the box containing Xylo swinging after falling on that ill fated Sedan

I better get a TD ASAP

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 18th January 2009 at 22:39.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

i think everybody here, including me, are hardcore fans of the innova. so the word that xylo, a MAHINDRA product can be a toyota innova competitor was not received well by most. that explains the criticism it has received. most of them who has TD the xylo has said something good about it but then again drawbacks were stated that plastic quality and finish was poor. i think they forgot its 2.5 lakhs cheaper than the innova.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:09   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
If the Xylo swings so much how were the Mahindra test drivers ripping it on the expressways?!
Saw the C&B show on NDTV yesterday and saw a Xylo on the road (perhaps TD), IMO

- It looks better in skin than on paper, except the front grill which makes it look like a toad, although they want to carry on with a M&M grill, slight changes could have made a difference.

- The AC vents on the roof are a very good improvement so is the digital instrumentation.

- The Xylo development team was interviewed and they confirmed that they have removed all the bumpiness and sways from the Xylo Vs Scorpio(they admitted that this is a problem with their other models) but in the TD they found that its under a reasonable limit now, although not gone altogether.

But user TD's here post the opposite as if its still the same which surprises me.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:17   #49
Senior - BHPian

The Xylo's handling isn't as bad as it's being made out to be. Yes it does feel top-heavy, but you can not call it a swinger. It is far better than the old Scorpios that first came out. The low speed ride is decent thanks to huge sidewalls, but higher speeds it still has some tendency to bounce. But fully loaded, it rides much better.

Mahindra has come up with a good vehicle. It is spacious and comfortable, has the features and comes at an attractive price. It might not match the Innova on snob value or quality, but heck it is a very good alternative.

PS: I don't think it is that ugly, it tends to grow on you.

Drifter
Old 19th January 2009, 12:37   #50
Team-BHP Support

I agree with Drifter. While the styling is not great I find it quite good. Will reserve my judgement on how it drives after TD.

The styling has a few aggressive elements and overall I think they tried to remove the image of a van like the Innova. The innova was more MPV and did not give that rugged appearance which people look for.

I think Mahindra tried to get that aggressive look even with the MPV shape. I think it's not bad although could have been made better with minor tweaks. Overall shape is good.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
The Xylo's handling isn't as bad as it's being made out to be. Yes it does feel top-heavy, but you can not call it a swinger. It is far better than the old Scorpios that first came out. The low speed ride is decent thanks to huge sidewalls, but higher speeds it still has some tendency to bounce. But fully loaded, it rides much better....Drifter
Thinking back about my own test drive with three passengers, I would not rate the ride as "Swaying" but yes, there is some amount of body roll that a normal sedan driver (or even a driver of an Innova - which we are comparing here) will not be comfortable with.

High speed handling and braking is definitely not confidence inspiring. That is the only gripe in an otherwise brilliant VFM package. Like I said before, plastics are not great (but very functional and OK for the price) and the top end has dark brown interiors compared to beige, I prefer the black anyday.
Old 19th January 2009, 22:00   #52
BHPian

I had a TD of the xylo on Sunday, and it is not as bad as has been projected from some of the members here.

Seems like most of us are comparing with some high value cars like safari and Scorpio, which are expected to perform much better than xylo otherwise they would be running out of business.

The pricing for xylo is very attractive and make ones think between a safari and scorpio.

My take on Xylo,

Definite value for money

Quite spacious seating, and the legroom in last row is quite a lot and a big diff compared to scorpio and innova.

AC vents in the rear is a big advantage compared to other SUV/MUV, with self controls

We were 7 of us and though drove for about 3 kms on empty roads and was a very smooth drive, didnt experience any "swinging" or "drifting"

Many other accessories and value adds are a big plus considering the price paid for these in other cars.
Old 19th January 2009, 23:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Has anyone else test-driven the vehicle and can they confirm that the Xylo is indeed a 'swinger'?
Here's what I thought about it when I took a short TD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I took a short TD after the launch and here are my observations:
  • Powerplant is the same as the 2.6 CRDe, rebadged as a 2.5 with "drivetrain improvements" in marketing speak.
  • Kerb Weight not mentioned but quoted as 80-100 kgs lesser than the Scorpio by the head of marketing.
  • ABS/Airbags - A journo asked a direct question about the same and the response was that ABS (pronounced as "Abs" aka abdominals by the journo asking the question!) & Airbags are under development and are expected to be launched some time next year.
  • Plastic quality of central console, door handles etc. are quite poor. More comparable to the Qualis than the Innova.
  • The door handles are of particularly bad quality & have a very poor, flimsy feel. Look quite like an after thought & unfinished.
  • It's equipped with very large grab handles on the rear seats, haven't seen those in other vehicles in India.
  • Vehicle is pretty high up and ingress/egress is not going to be very comfortable.
  • Seats are of good quality & pretty comfortable and even have lumbar support at least in the middle row seats.
  • Space in all 3 rows is also quite satisfactory. But I didn't personally try the last row myself.
  • The Audio system (USB/SD cars compatible; made by Nippon) looks well integrated.
  • Ride is a bit bouncy as usual & it also has the usual side-to-side rocking motions when the vehicle is turning & hits a pothole/or climbing an incline. I tried writing a few comments about the vehicle while on the move & it was pretty difficult to do so in legible handwriting.
  • Has a flat floor so no problems with legroom.
  • Glasshouse is pretty large, so feels pretty airy.
  • Purple Accents on the inner surface of the door handles/seat belt mountings look really, really poor & cheap. Whoever though of this should be fired.
  • As for the driving experience, engine has decent pull between 1-3.5k rpm above which it is too rough & boomy. Gearshifts are decent but throw is pretty long. Controls are pretty easy overall but the steering doesn't have too much feel.
  • Lots of front end dive when there's hard braking.
  • Like a lot of tall boy hatches (Santro etc.) you cannot see the front end while sitting in the driver's seat. An oddity on an MUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Which brings us to Shri A J Darukhanawalla's wholesome praise for the vehicle in some TV show. Maybe he was talking about a Xylo that was standing still?
He's working for TOI Santhosh, what do you expect??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
- The Xylo development team was interviewed and they confirmed that they have removed all the bumpiness and sways from the Xylo Vs Scorpio(they admitted that this is a problem with their other models) but in the TD they found that its under a reasonable limit now, although not gone altogether.
I can confirm that the ride is still bouncy. An improvement over the original Scorpio yes, but it's still there.
Old 19th January 2009, 23:50   #54
BHPian

It looks ugly from the front!
Old 20th January 2009, 00:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
I had a TD of the xylo on Sunday, and it is not as bad as has been projected from some of the members here.

Seems like most of us are comparing with some high value cars like safari and Scorpio, which are expected to perform much better than xylo otherwise they would be running out of business.
I can empathise with you pal. In fact, the first thought that came to my mind when I saw the car in flesh was that the car was not as bad as it was made out to be. It looked quiet OK and the equipment/features list was mroe than impressive. I did not understand why it was being bashed up in T-BHP and even felt sorry for the XYLO.

Only when I had driven it for more than 10 KMs (both on rough and smooth roads) did I understand what the real drawback was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I can confirm that the ride is still bouncy. An improvement over the original Scorpio yes, but it's still there.
+1 to that Ishan. It needs some serious tweaking up before someone can safely take it to 3 digit speeds.
Old 20th January 2009, 13:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post

+1 to that Ishan. It needs some serious tweaking up before someone can safely take it to 3 digit speeds.
That is one sweeping statement. Ingenio ( xylo) s have been ripping around on much more than 3 digit speeds for ages now.Many tbhpians have seen it on mum - pun expressway .
Old 20th January 2009, 17:13   #57
Senior - BHPian

Some video from youtube

Old 20th January 2009, 17:34   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
That is one sweeping statement. Ingenio ( xylo) s have been ripping around on much more than 3 digit speeds for ages now.Many tbhpians have seen it on mum - pun expressway .
Surely, it moves but the problem is with the ride/control. It is not very confidence inspiring at high speeds. Did not mean to say no one can push it to those speeds... you got to be very brave, which I am not.
Old 20th January 2009, 18:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Did not mean to say no one can push it to those speeds... you got to be very brave, which I am not.
You are absolutely correct Quicksilver.Thats what i mentioned in my TD report initially.Xylo might have a topspeed of 150 or 160 but i cant even drive confidently xylo above 100.

Many on T-bhp are mentioning that the ride is very confortable and not 'swinging' etc.I would like to know whether all those who are mentioning regarding the smooth or comfortable ride in Xylo drove it with a speed say above 100.

Last edited by stable rock : 20th January 2009 at 18:19.
Old 20th January 2009, 18:24   #60
Senior - BHPian

The car is not as bad as the bashing it is getting here.The interiors are well done for a car at its price. Yes the 'Eagle' engine is noisier than its elder cousin 'mHawk'. Didnt have the time for a TD / Ride so can't say anything about the roll & braking.

Look wise it is decent looking in flesh, lot of nick nacks provided in the interiors. A value for money preposition I feel.

Drivewise I would agree to people who have seen this car rip on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, my Innova Cab with a driver who loves to drive at frigntening speeds couldnt keep pace with it, it just vanished in the horizon..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I have sat in a Scorpio many times and going by this (admittedly one opinon) it seems Mahindra has continued its tradition of swinging and rolling.
Hi, have you tried the Scorpio mHawk, I have done up to 140 Kmh, braked, swung it around, but never felt excessive swing or roll.

Last edited by m_upreti : 20th January 2009 at 18:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks