Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2009, 23:10   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Just TD'd the Xylo on a mix of narrow roads with huge speed breakers, a widish road and a decent off-road stretch.

Suspension/GC/Handling:

Personally, its way better at 40-60 than at 0-40 - its crazy there even on good roads and over/through minor obstacles. The front bobs up and down like a boat in choppy waters, and different ends of the rather tall vehicle are constantly changing altitudes and not necessarily in the same direction at the same time. Have not sailed much, but can start to imagine what sea-sickness must feel like.

Qn: since its coils all around, I'm wondering what kind of changes can be made for stiffening things up a little, and what this will feel like. With that, and some vibes being sorted out, its a very very VFM package! It was also cute to see "Ingenio" on some of the pieces under the hood
Great review zenx. I have never TDed the Xylo but on a couple of occasions I followed it in the city and found that over every bump the rear of the vehicle did an extra up-down motion as if the suspension was not damped well. Wondering if that is really so difficult to fix.
Old 24th November 2009, 09:11   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Its called mint green. I almost bought it.
The mint green looks . But now I feel the xylo is no more ugly, people have got used to its looks, I feel the black could be a good colour but diff to maintain.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:08   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
The mint green looks . But now I feel the xylo is no more ugly, people have got used to its looks, I feel the black could be a good colour but diff to maintain.
many such cars design were not accepted initially, but then it started growing up on our likes.Same case is with Xylo.
Old 24th November 2009, 19:10   #229
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
The mint green looks .
If ever I end up taking a Xylo and if all the present colours are then available, my wife would insist on that mint green. She liked it a lot!
Old 25th November 2009, 20:24   #230
BHPian

Xylo is no comparision to Innova on build quality . The Turbo charger sound is very much audible when we sit inside .

On a Test Drive of the Xylo , before buying my Scorpio VLX M Hawk ,

Looks :

Other then Black all colors in Xylo look horrible

Feel : Interiors - Cheap Plastics

The Plastics used is so bad that it feels as if the door knobs used to open the front doors will break if one uses this for 2-3 times

Ride Quality :

The whole vehicle wobbles a bit . One can feel the cost cutting on this car from top to bottom . Breaking is no where comparable to any SUV/MUV available in the market today .

Gear shifting is not that great and as pointed out this vehicle is not zippy as either the scorpio or the Innova .

The over all build quality of this vehicle does not pass any confidence . We rather buy Scorpio M Hawk SLE or LX models if one have any budget constraints .
Old 26th November 2009, 11:34   #231
Senior - BHPian

Interesting Ranga. Thanks for the information.

Are there no other good colors on the Xylo? Please share some more observations.
Old 26th November 2009, 12:31   #232
BHPian

Hi friends

I would like to share my experience in test driving The Mahindra Xylo.The first thing i noticed was the extraordinarily built body of the SUV. It looked massive and classsic. I was astonished to see the size of the vehicle because i havent seen many Xylos very closely or any time happened to travel in Xylo. The suv was very tall , much taller than any other MUV for that matter. Felt like as if i was sitting in a lorry. The Sales person gave me the key of the muv , certainly the Mahindra people have manufactured keys also to suit the size of the muv, i wonder how to keep the keys in one's pocket.

After getting the key i started the muv, At the second attempt the beast started roaring with a audible sound, even when the windows were off i could here the sound of the huge 2.5 ltr M eagle engine inside the cabin too. The muv started to move i didnt feel the passion while driving, i felt that the pick of the vehicle was not upto the mark nor the MUV was just flying i felt like the muv is strugling a bit. I really struggled with the gear shifting . The steering was extremely responsive. It looked like i am driving a hatch back. I could cut the edges easily like having a piece of cake.It never looked like i was driving a biggie.

I personally feel the brakes were quiet responsive and with due respect to other members having said that the brakes are horrible. The variant that i was driving was with the ABS option enabled one.I felt like i am the tallest person on the road and others were all looking tiny and shorter than me.I feel that it should be very difficult for elder people and tiny tots to get into Xylo . Its extremly tall and i think Mahindra should have taken some care about it. I was not much impressed about the comfort of the vehicle , it was ok and not very good as that of Innova for that matter.The legroom of the MUV was excellent and not congested and stuffy like the scorpio.

I was interested in E4 variant which was equipped with all the things that i required and the On road price was Rs.819000 at bangalore.The price tag is ok and not on the expensive side. I really feel Xylo scores in the VFM segment.

I really had a mixed expreience in TD the xylo. In some factors it scored and in some places it failed.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:41   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting Ranga. Thanks for the information.

Are there no other good colors on the Xylo? Please share some more observations.

We're considering a Xylo for my in-laws in Kerala. Hilly area, so was a bit concerned about the pitching and rolling reported by some. I'm still not convinced, but my wife is. I'm pitching for a Manza, but the counter is that we all (family) cannot travel together in the Manza. True.

Planning on a test-drive soon. I've seen a few Xylos in Bangalore, and feel it looks best in dark solids, like Black and Chocolate. My opinion though.

Opinions/suggestions would be welcome
Old 18th June 2010, 15:03   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post

The Plastics used is so bad that it feels as if the door knobs used to open the front doors will break if one uses this for 2-3 times

I agree the handle locks are flimsy, however I have used it for more than 3 times.

Breaking is no where comparable to any SUV/MUV available in the market today .

Can you share how you arrived at this? How did you test braking capability?

Gear shifting is not that great and as pointed out this vehicle is not zippy as either the scorpio or the Innova .

Are you sure its not more powerful than the Innova? Maybe you should check the specs.
Ranga, for you in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

We're considering a Xylo for my in-laws in Kerala. Hilly area, so was a bit concerned about the pitching and rolling reported by some. I'm still not convinced, but my wife is. I'm pitching for a Manza, but the counter is that we all (family) cannot travel together in the Manza. True.

Planning on a test-drive soon. I've seen a few Xylos in Bangalore, and feel it looks best in dark solids, like Black and Chocolate. My opinion though.

The rear seats of the Manza are really comfortable. Clicked this picture in a hotel in Palakkad. The Mint green in horrendous.

There are some good reviews by Rocky and others on the Xylo. I have mine too. Do go through and make up your mind.

I drive the Xylo in the hills and I have no issues with the handling. This is my view. Do a proper TD, preferably in the hills.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Xylo test drive-image0064.jpg  

Last edited by beejay : 18th June 2010 at 15:05. Reason: picture upside down
Old 19th June 2010, 20:05   #235
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
The rear seats of the Manza are really comfortable.
I would agree! My wife and daughter were sleeping on it in turns and they were happy about it.

Quote:
Clicked this picture in a hotel in Palakkad. The Mint green in horrendous.
That was the colour my wife wanted if we were getting a Xylo. Unfortunately that is not available any more. She is still scolding that I did not remind her of Xylo when we were about to buy the Manza!
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:12   #236
Senior - BHPian

Given the price and the offering Xylo is an excellent family vehicle, if you can ignore the looks.

One of the M&M dealers had offered me a TD at my place (knowing fully I had just an year old Scorpio).

The pickup has a slight lag and you cannot compare the M Eagle to a M Hawk, but once you start going the vehicle delivers sufficient power to zip. I took the vehicle to over 110 KMH on an empty road and braked, the braking was impressive for a non ABS model and absolutely no pitch or roll while cornering or taking sharp turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Hi friends

I would like to share my experience in test driving The Mahindra Xylo.The first thing i noticed was the extraordinarily built body of the SUV. It looked massive and classsic. I was astonished to see the size of the vehicle because i havent seen many Xylos very closely or any time happened to travel in Xylo. The suv was very tall , much taller than any other MUV for that matter. Felt like as if i was sitting in a lorry. The Sales person gave me the key of the muv , certainly the Mahindra people have manufactured keys also to suit the size of the muv, i wonder how to keep the keys in one's pocket.

After getting the key i started the muv, At the second attempt the beast started roaring with a audible sound, even when the windows were off i could here the sound of the huge 2.5 ltr M eagle engine inside the cabin too. The muv started to move i didnt feel the passion while driving, i felt that the pick of the vehicle was not upto the mark nor the MUV was just flying i felt like the muv is strugling a bit. I really struggled with the gear shifting . The steering was extremely responsive. It looked like i am driving a hatch back. I could cut the edges easily like having a piece of cake.It never looked like i was driving a biggie.

I personally feel the brakes were quiet responsive and with due respect to other members having said that the brakes are horrible. The variant that i was driving was with the ABS option enabled one.I felt like i am the tallest person on the road and others were all looking tiny and shorter than me.I feel that it should be very difficult for elder people and tiny tots to get into Xylo . Its extremly tall and i think Mahindra should have taken some care about it. I was not much impressed about the comfort of the vehicle , it was ok and not very good as that of Innova for that matter.The legroom of the MUV was excellent and not congested and stuffy like the scorpio.

I was interested in E4 variant which was equipped with all the things that i required and the On road price was Rs.819000 at bangalore.The price tag is ok and not on the expensive side. I really feel Xylo scores in the VFM segment.

I really had a mixed expreience in TD the xylo. In some factors it scored and in some places it failed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

Old 8th September 2010, 20:47   #237
BHPian

Today makes it a month that I have owned my new Xylo Fiery Black
Its been a very good experience so far on all aspects
The vehicle really scores in terms of handling, ride and interior comfort
Have not noticed any problems with body roll even at speeds over 80 and on roads that were not exactly straight either - Well if you drive it like a FI round the bends then no comments
Probably the only real sore point is the flimsy looking door handles - but @Ranga they have survived many kids rather rough attempts to open them esp as the doors were centrally locked till the ignition was off - so let's see how long they last
Yes I agree the test drive was not really the greatest but that is a problem with the poor quality of the Test vehicle(s) and that M&M should look into as the actual vehicle is a far better drive and handling
As they say I AM LOVING IT
Old 8th January 2013, 23:06   #238
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo test drive

One has to be careful while alighting from a Xylo as the aluminium foot board is prone to permit skidding if it is wet or if the footwear has lost grips. I have not felt this in other tall SUV/MUVs.
Old 20th June 2015, 22:03   #239
BHPian

Mahindra Xylo - Why no Official Team-BHP Review;?

Hi to all BHPians.
I am just curious as to whether there are any plans for an official review of the Xylo? This is an important car for Mahindra and for India, and I find it curious that it has not been reviewed yet by this comprehensive site. Please can we have a review of the Xylo? It has been updated numerous times since it's launch and I am sure I am not the only one who misses a detailed review of this very important car for India, before it disappears.
Old 21st June 2015, 00:52   #240
BANNED

Re: Mahindra Xylo - Why no Official Team-BHP Review;?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Lancelot View Post
Hi to all BHPians.
I am just curious as to whether there are any plans for an official review of the Xylo?
There are quite a few reviews of the Xylo, but the car is outdated now and sells primarily as a cost efficient MUV and hence garners a lot of taxi sales as well.

It is overdue for a replacement too.

Here are a few links to its reviews.

http://www.topgear.com/india/mahindr...xylo/itemid-51
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks