Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 00:52   #46
BHPian

wow the car looks like it is in very nice condition. Not bad for a car which is now long out of production. Congrats.
Old 21st February 2009, 17:23   #47
BHPian

Hey MJ ,
Apologies MJ.. I just saw your PM today since I was travelling.

Congrads..!!!! Join the club and really happy you got such a good car.I saw the pics and it’s really in mint condition.

Plan your budget and the restoration project (Sometimes plans just remain plans)..afterall when the Taj was built I am sure they didn’t budget it and did the math only after they finished it. Any restoration project pretty much is like that.

The firs replacement on the car the (silencer-Tailbox) the aluminium plate around the box and insulation of asbestos around is missing as I can see from the picture. Please chk if it is a part of the tailbox since the gap between the box and the petrol tank is only a few centimetres and is advisable to get the asbestos box with insulation. On a hot day with a lot of gas you don’t want a red hot iron box next to a petrol tank.It is still manageable when the car is running since the heat is constantly fanned off but when you park and go away you will have boiling petrol and lot of evaporation losses among the other hazards.

I suggest “Star brand” for the entire assy, the metal gauge is good and they are also galvanised and hammertone painted to last since the engine gives out a lot of vapour and is prone to get corroded.

Also before you weld and clamp the pipes up and use the new O-Ring-(4 pcs) to suspend the entire silencer, pls ensue you spray some regular engine oil (with an oil can) into the muffler and the tailbox. This will extend the life of the assy. and prevent corrosion from the inside. Also chk the number of copper packing O-rings on the header since you don’t want it to leak from there. You can use 1/2/3 depending on the welding of the collar on the tailpipe mouth.

Get the chrome bumpers and retain the square lights..my suggestion and it looks good. Perhaps you have something else in mind and its your personal choice.

Chk the compression on the engine to figure out the approximate mileage using a gauge in the sparkplug hole and measure from BDC to TDC only on compression stroke. A Maruti garage nearby should be able to do it for you. The only reason I was perhaps asking you to do this since the pedals show a lot of wear and tear for 11k. If you trust the seller and have done all your due diligence then it’s amazing.
Do write in to me if you need to fix something and I am sure with owners like Adi, Sekharan, and other diehard fans around you will find loads of help.

Mike
Old 21st February 2009, 18:54   #48
BHPian

The Tailbox asbestos I was talking about.

Note: I have additionally painted the pipe and the mid section with red oxide to prevent rust. Later I also painted the asbestos fabric in the tail box black since it will dissipate heat better and also the paint will protect the box from corrosion.

Some pics from the build:
  • The wheelwell which is the bad spot in the conti.
  • After all the metal work and the antirust coating
  • First coat of PU paint and some additional seam-sealant to prevent water gaps and any further rusting
  • Final finishing on the insides and undersides of the car before exterior painting
Attached Thumbnails
Got My Contessa-asbestos-cover.jpg  

Got My Contessa-before.jpg  

Got My Contessa-antirust.jpg  

Got My Contessa-mudguard-rustproofing-paint.jpg  

Got My Contessa-seamsealing-paint.jpg  

Got My Contessa-finalnotice-wheelwell..jpg  

Old 21st February 2009, 18:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Manik. Will we see the rear number plate reading "Mini de Pappa di gaddi"
Let me know if oyu need anything from here for the conti.
Aditya can be your official guide as he is as much into contis as you are.

I remember my Conti PIQ 6003. Dark blue and the Isuzu was a mile muncher.

Have fun!!
Old 21st February 2009, 23:49   #50
BHPian

still waiting for some new updates from you MJ..
Old 14th March 2009, 19:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveal_da_zeal View Post
Needs lot of labor, patience and time... keep it up Bro.
arre bhai you know how much i love my conti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
Hey MJ ,
Apologies MJ.. I just saw your PM today since I was travelling.
Congrads..!!!! Join the club and really happy you got such a good car.I saw the pics and it’s really in mint condition.
Note: I have additionally painted the pipe and the mid section with red oxide to prevent rust. Later I also painted the asbestos fabric in the tail box black since it will dissipate heat better and also the paint will protect the box from corrosion.
Hi Miyer

sorry for late reply was very busy these day my final papers are coming i still haven't completed my notes
firstly thanks for inviting me to join the Conti club

as i have told you in the pm i have told my mechanic to locate me one of the Tailbox asbestos the pics really helped me thanks again

as for the pedal they are broken as the rubber has harden over the years and will surely keep in mind the points you have given when i will have the car painted

AND can you please thell me how can i get gypsy rims fitted to contessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Congrats Manik. Will we see the rear number plate reading "Mini de Pappa di gaddi"
Let me know if oyu need anything from here for the conti.
Aditya can be your official guide as he is as much into contis as you are.

I remember my Conti PIQ 6003. Dark blue and the Isuzu was a mile muncher.

Have fun!!
Thanks bro sorry for late reply and will surely let you know if i need something and yes conti is surely a mile muncher i like the way it cruises

and do you have any pics of your conti???

Quote:
still waiting for some new updates from you MJ..
bhia will surely update will pic latest my tomorrow

Last edited by manikjeet : 14th March 2009 at 19:10.
Old 14th March 2009, 19:46   #52
BHPian

Hey thanks MJ.

My pleasure to help you any time.
Along with the pedals the steering wheel was also showing a bit of a wear for 11 k, so thats why I was a bit concerned and pointed it. End of the day you are happy and proud owner of a dream conti "Anth bhala so sab Bhala".. as the saying goes.
I have written an entire page on modifications for wheels on the other thread and sure you would have got it.

Last edited by Miyer : 14th March 2009 at 19:50. Reason: Additional text[Font] and one spelling mistake
Old 15th March 2009, 18:53   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Along with the pedals the steering wheel was also showing a bit of a wear for 11 k, so thats why I was a bit concerned and pointed it. End of the day you are happy and proud owner of a dream conti "Anth bhala so sab Bhala".. as the saying goes.

Thanks for pointing out i to had a look at the steering wheel and i to feel the steering is showing more age but i can't comment on it maybe the previous owner has changed it will ask him when i visit him next time

now one more point i am getting a steering wheel the 4 spoke one should i swap it or not my car is not equipped with a power steering.

and will a 1992 model BMW rim fit on contessa
Old 15th March 2009, 23:14   #54
BHPian

Hi MJ,

IF you don’t have a PS don’t change your steering to a smaller dia. Bigger is better without a PS.

ET = Wheel Offset

· H = HIGH Positive Offset - E36, E46, Z3 & X5 Models - Typically +46, 40, 38 & 35 mm Offsets *

* Variations In Offset Exist Because Body & Suspension Clearances Are Also Dependant On The Width Of The Wheel That's Being Fitted!

· M = MEDIUM Positive Offset - All Other BMW Models - Typically +23, 20, 15 & 13 mm Offsets *

<- Dimension A = Half of the rim's width

<- Dimension B = The rim's back-space

<- Dimension C = The offset of the wheel is the difference between the centreline of the wheel, and the bolt face
Attached Images

Old 18th March 2009, 01:17   #55
BHPian

I am still waiting for the pics and what paint are you applying. I was under an impression that you have a power steering. What would it cost outmarket have you asked for one?
Old 18th March 2009, 01:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

Do you know what were the changes to the engine between the original 88 bhp version and the later 72 bhp version.
Quote:
Please chk if it is a part of the tailbox since the gap between the box and the petrol tank is only a few centimetres and is advisable to get the asbestos box with insulation.
That's the only car I've seen with insulation like that. Other use an aluminum heat sheild around the fuel tank.
Old 19th March 2009, 19:33   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Do you know what were the changes to the engine between the original 88 bhp version and the later 72 bhp version.
As far as I know, there were no changes. The old engines have a double barrel Nikki carburetor and the new ones, like mine, have a small Mikuni.
Old 19th March 2009, 22:09   #58
BHPian

I have a couple of points.

The older versions like mine have a Nikki (Glass window) type carb and a higher volume in the block since it’s easier to do the air-fuel mix ratio with a carbed engine.
On the later models they put a Mukini carb as Adi has mentioned just to increase the milage but the block being the same.

Once the MPFI engines came the blocks were shaved for higher compression ratio and lower volume and corresponding BHP to accommodate the FI system and emission norms and match the air-fuel ratio of the FI system. Thus the detuned engine was born.
Old 19th March 2009, 22:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am still waiting for the pics and what paint are you applying. I was under an impression that you have a power steering. What would it cost outmarket have you asked for one?
heres your pic bro and the colour i am thinking of retaining the same colour MAYBE and nahi yaar its non PS
i am getting one for 4k but i am have second thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
Got My Contessa-dsc00770.jpg  

Last edited by manikjeet : 19th March 2009 at 22:33.
Old 31st March 2009, 00:10   #60
BHPian

She Looks just Sturdy with these headlights. Chrome Bumpers will do lot good to the looks. Nice Alloys will compliment the beauty. Paint looks quite Dull maybe because the pic is of the time sun sets. Anyways thanks for the pics and Keep thread updated about what new you are doing to 'MINI'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks