Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:00   #16
Team-BHP Support

awesome pics randeep. The best looking vehicle from tata needs wider wheels IMO. I am drooling at the pics.
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:03   #17
BHPian

The Xenon is quite a looker and definitely exudes attitude. The good thing is that mechanically the car looks to be decent. Hopefully, TATA's will improve the plastics later.

Would also be interested in knowing how many Xenon's does TATA expect to sell per annum?
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well awesome review there from Steers friend;-) Good job.

Some serious disappointment in the tone but i guess over time you will learn to live with it. The first time i looked at the bolero i had the same feeling but then after like 2 years of seeing one i ended up convincing myself to buy one.
Good attempt by TATA for starters. Dont understand why you guys in TATA dont realise that you can make things look a lot better in the first version rather than upping it and offering a better looker later on

For people comparing the Xenon to Getaway well all i can say is the Getaway looks Pathetic in front of this. Trust me you wouldnt want to be seen in one. I prefer my LCV the swaraj mazda over the getaway:-)(Well that was pushing it but seriously the character of xenon in the looks dept from outside is way better)
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Agree with Steer comments above. Tata brought out great vehicles like the Tata Sierra/Estate and then either fell asleep at the wheel or decided to focus on the Indica/Sumo and it's variants totally ignoring the premium UV market. They ignored the Safari for about 10 years giving it a bad perception in the market.

I am glad they are trying to undo the past and try to give Mahindra's some reall competition. The problem however is that it takes a very very long time to change peoples perceptions.
Old 5th March 2009, 12:04   #20
BHPian

Great Review. I also test drove the Xenon in Ludhiana

I differ and concur on few points.
differ
1) Considering an Offroader it has all the comforts. So + for that.
2) Seats and the interiors are greay not the beigh in the plush cars. For me it is positive as the places I would take it the beigh one would be a liability.
3.) The Interiors were decent again as an ofroader view I drive a 540 so it was heaven for me :0))

Concur,

1) Plastic feel
2) Tyers had to be ATs or MTs
3) Badly needs a 4x4 (but this as I drove a 2x4 vechile)
4) Over priced. Ideal would have been 7 Lakhs for 2x4 and 7.60 for 4x4

On the whole a very good buy. If I had that kind of money.

Regds

Amit
Old 5th March 2009, 12:45   #21
Team-BHP Support

The front end could definitely have looked a lot more aggressive. They have a good design, but some tweaks and the vehicle could look a lot more smashing. Nice chunky alloys are definitely required.
Old 6th March 2009, 11:01   #22

Hello guys!!

Yesterday I had a golden opportunity to test drive a Xenon! Was almost on my toes to get the glimpse of the so called 'lifestyle' vehicle!

But to my bad luck, it had got this - Name:  Xenon  Flat Tire.JPG
Views: 2759
Size:  92.1 KB A flat Tire!! As it was on tubeless, it was not fully deflated but half way gone. So they assured to get back to us may be today again as it was already late evening yesterday.

Hopefully I need to wait for one more time to get a test drive. Will put forth my opinions as well.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Its a life style vehicle!

But will that be a big problem if Tata comes up with an SUV based on this same platform, look and feel? Not everyone need that load area.

I hope if there is one, it could be even better that Safari. What do you think?
Old 20th March 2009, 01:13   #24
BHPian

The looks dept., Xenon is just great. But, from what I have read, the interiors are a big let down.

The Tata strength is VFM. I hope they do not lose focus on that. Am stating this as I have read at couple of threads here where the people who TD the vehicle feel that this one is a bit over-priced. I believe that the interiors and the price was the reason for Sumo Grande not doing good in the market.

As for me, I am just waiting for the upgraded Safari. I hope they improve the interiors on it.
Old 20th March 2009, 08:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

@Steeroid:
Ask your friend to test drive the vehicle with two adult humans and a kid, ask him to notice the ride quality. What your friend is looking forward to is a car that is comfortable along with 4 X 4 ability ( that is what I am able to make out from the post ). Now he also has considered Innova.
This car is going to disappoint him. The culture of pickups is not available in India, and this car is targetting luxury segment. But to admit the core fact, this car is crude pick up truck. A loud engine, poor plastics, etc are not the thing one will expect for Rs. 8-9 lakhs.
Considering that the suspension is built keeping in mind the pick up bed, it is bound to be stiff. With fewer passengers, expecting a change is ride quality is natural and this again will disappoint your friend. Ask him to look at safari or Scropio.
Old 20th March 2009, 09:29   #26
BHPian

Looks good overall. Will look menacing with beefy tyres.

I don't understand why the passenger window sill had to rise. It would've looked better if it was at the same level as the driver side window and the loading bay. Looks like a bad habit picked from Korean / Japanese friends.

God, when will these designers learn about "Clean Design Lines"?

:(
Old 20th March 2009, 17:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Agree with Steer comments above. Tata brought out great vehicles like the Tata Sierra/Estate and.
Estate was a disaster when it came to reliability. We owned one in the mid 90s and the car pretty much falls apart in 2 years.
Old 20th March 2009, 17:15   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Estate was a disaster when it came to reliability. We owned one in the mid 90s and the car pretty much falls apart in 2 years.
Quality wise, I would agree with you. But if you compare to the other indian options at that time, like the Amby or Premier 118 NE, etc, it was far better. Quality Control has always been a weak point for Tata.
Old 20th March 2009, 22:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Saw one on the road a couple of days back, and the road presence of this beast is AMAZING!

it is really long and you really have to see it in traffic to appreciate its size and the way the traffic makes way for it is amazing.

the fit and finish at first glance also seemed to be of a fairly high order, but then, it was a moving vehicle that i saw, so that may be a bit deceptive.
Old 21st March 2009, 11:18   #30
BHPian

Xenon in my residential complex

Today in the morning, I was having my cup of tea in my terrace and saw this mean black machine entering through our main gates. Was looking till it disappeared inside the complex. Ran down and after some search, found it parked in. Someone in my neighbourhood has bought it. Will catch the guy this weekend .

For the time being here are the pics from my phonecam:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Xenon (4x2) Test Drive  by a Fiat driver-210309_1046.jpg  

Tata Xenon (4x2) Test Drive  by a Fiat driver-210309_1045.jpg  

Tata Xenon (4x2) Test Drive  by a Fiat driver-210309_1044.jpg  

Tata Xenon (4x2) Test Drive  by a Fiat driver-210309_1043.jpg  

Tata Xenon (4x2) Test Drive  by a Fiat driver-210309_1042.jpg  

Tata Xenon (4x2) Test Drive  by a Fiat driver-210309_1041.jpg  

Tata Xenon (4x2) Test Drive  by a Fiat driver-210309_1040.jpg  

Tata Xenon (4x2) Test Drive  by a Fiat driver-210309_1039.jpg  

Tata Xenon (4x2) Test Drive  by a Fiat driver-210309_1038.jpg  

Tata Xenon (4x2) Test Drive  by a Fiat driver-210309_1037.jpg