Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2009, 00:46   #91
BHPian

linea on the highway

update time...

had to get to jaipur for a bit of a "quickie!" so instead of the safari, decided to go in the linea this time...

first off - tankful to tankful : 18.2 kmpl with the climate control set to 16 C all the time. 4 fully grown adults in the car and speeds pretty much always on the wrong side of 120 kmph most of the way there and about 100 kmph on the way back at night (trucks played spoilsport)

secondly, the road manners of the linea have completely bowled me over. having driven a palio for 6+ years, i have been used to pretty good driving dynamics, but the linea takes it to a whole better space.

she will remain planted and stable, no matter how hard you push her and she responds to minor steering adjustments with aplomb and dignity... i did manage to scrape the bottom a couple of times - the gut wrenching screech every time it happened made me cringe every SINGLE time!!! apart from that, comparing it to my earlier palio (comparing it to the safari is unfair), the ride in the linea is definately less pliant than a palio. given that it is being driven by a diesel engine on a much lower profile car - i suppose it is inevitable as a fallout though.

the engine comes into its own when it is on the highway, since you pretty much are in the meaty part of the rev band as soon as you cross 30 kmph from the 2nd gear on. i effortlessly overtook trucks, buses, marutis of all hue, shapes and colours (!) as well as the occasional corollas et al. a simple push of the gas pedal accompanied by an indicator signaling change of lane was all it took to get the linea ahead of pretty much all that was there on the road.

there is road noise in the cabin - i'm not sure whether the o/e tyres are to blame or it is a simple case of getting some wind deflectors put onto the windows. the function on the audio system letting the system raise the volume dependent on the speed of the car came in handy.

i will categorically say that the car is not underpowered on the highway. in the city, you feel a lag below 1500 rpm, but this has been documented and spoken about on so many other threads, i am not about to even BEGIN to go down that road.

all in all - the decision to buy the linea has borne good tidings - for those people about to do the same or in the process of deciding on the punto with the same engine - my advice ~ run with the thought and own a gorgeous piece of machinery....

stay safe amigos.

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 2nd July 2009 at 00:48.
Old 2nd July 2009, 15:23   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i did manage to scrape the bottom a couple of times - the gut wrenching screech every time it happened made me cringe every SINGLE time!!!
One of those scrapes made me pay dear. My engine guard got bent slightly and started to produce some sound by scraping on the silencer with each rev of the accelerator. better go and havre a check at TASS
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:14   #93
BHPian

Nice update buddy. Warms my heart to see an update that shares my exact sentiments.
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:37   #94
BHPian

thanks pranav and geeash...

just a random question thrown out there as it is bound to have happened to other linea owners as well.

the other day, as i was giving the car a wipe down, there was a thin tube like thing hanging out of the right side rear wheel well. i tried very hard to see where it went, but there were no apparent spaces which were missing a tube....

there was nothing coming out of the rubber hose/tube and i finally pushed it up and behind the back of the wheel well... any thoughts anyone?
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:43   #95
BHPian

@bite will take a look. Have not really noticed it.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:42   #96
BHPian

I think its the water-drain pipe?

I mean pour some water on the rear windscreen and see if it drains out of this tube. Just my guess.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:55   #97
BHPian

Is this the pipe you referring to

Hey Bite this is the only pipe I found in the right rear wheel bay. Like Neo said could be a water pipe or, something to do with the fuel filling area not really sure as one cannot visually confirm where it connects/leads to and I am ignorant about such stuff. Maybe someone with a lot more expertise can help..
Attached Thumbnails
'Emotionally Packed' - 1.3 MJD Linea Emotion Pk.... finally (whew!!)-dsc01959.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2009, 11:16   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
update time...
there is road noise in the cabin - i'm not sure whether the o/e tyres are to blame or it is a simple case of getting some wind deflectors put onto the windows. the function on the audio system letting the system raise the volume dependent on the speed of the car came in handy.
Hi!
I remember seeing a Linea MJD here in Ahmedabad at TASS being checked for the same. They came out with a unique finding that ORVM is responsible for this 'wind cutting' noise above 80Km/Hour. It was noticed in other two Linea also. Luckily, I do not face this.
Old 7th July 2009, 21:01   #99
BHPian

update... trying to save being nudged in the left... i went and bumped a backside in front of me.

effect - wagon r in front of me gets shoved 7-8 feet
bumper on linea pops out a little under my left headlight... :(

need to go to the god forsaken a** to get it rectified. (thankfully no paint damaged)

also - i only got confirmation that my rc is here when i called and had a major rant at the sales manager at vivek...

fyi - please stay away from them if you are buying a tata or a fiat from either company. these guys are major thugs.
Old 7th July 2009, 21:31   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
update... trying to save being nudged in the left... i went and bumped a backside in front of me.

effect - wagon r in front of me gets shoved 7-8 feet
bumper on linea pops out a little under my left headlight... :(
Sad thing bro.
Hope that the headlights are intact and the impact wasnt much.
I always worry about Airbag sensors whenever someone meets a situation like this and hope they dont open when they arent supposed to be.

So its just denting work? Why dont you try any local denter (if you know anyone good). It will take less time and as you said no paint damage is done, dont think it will be a problem.
Old 7th July 2009, 22:19   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
So its just denting work? Why dont you try any local denter (if you know anyone good). It will take less time and as you said no paint damage is done, dont think it will be a problem.
thanks coolboy

no denting either, just that the bumper seems to have popped off a fastener and will only get back into place once it is opened and corrected....

should be a minor 20 min job at a half decent a** point but all the bozos that have fiat dealerships in delhi.... the less said the better.

anyways heigh ho ~ i'm more and more convinced that i should just stick to driving the safari!
Old 10th August 2010, 13:59   #102
Senior - BHPian

I am just being pulled more and more towards the Linea now. I was confused between the SX4, Linea and ofcourse City. Sx4 is out. City is pretty expensive,both initial cost and spares.
Linea wins hands down! I will get the Fox Trot Azure colour for myself. It looks most elegant according to me.
Old 11th August 2010, 17:25   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I am just being pulled more and more towards the Linea now. I was confused between the SX4, Linea and ofcourse City. Sx4 is out. City is pretty expensive,both initial cost and spares.
Linea wins hands down! I will get the Fox Trot Azure colour for myself. It looks most elegant according to me.
hey ajay,

me like the fox trot azure as well and had it been around when i picked up the linea, that would have been the color standing outside the house!

my 2 pennies?

as much as i love the linea, i'd actually wait a wee bit to see what vw are upto as their 3 box polo looks very interesting as well! just keep in mind that even though the fiat is a fab car, the dealers are a major pain in the ***.

and i mean major.

tc bud and have a blast deciding!
ak
Old 26th August 2010, 04:54   #104
ajai_dev

I wanted to ask three questions:

Firstly this does have a dead pedal right? I cant see it from the pics on the first page.

Secondly are DVD's supported by the blunkput player?

Thirdly how effective is automatic climate control for this car.

Old 6th September 2010, 17:07   #105
Senior - BHPian

Vento kills the cat amongst the pigeons...

Quote:
hey ajay,

me like the fox trot azure as well and had it been around when i picked up the linea, that would have been the color standing outside the house!

my 2 pennies?

as much as i love the linea, i'd actually wait a wee bit to see what vw are upto as their 3 box polo looks very interesting as well! just keep in mind that even though the fiat is a fab car, the dealers are a major pain in the ***.

and i mean major.

tc bud and have a blast deciding!
ak
Hey,

I think VW Vento is going to kill this segment up and down. Its just wonderful from front to back, top to bottom. The only issue could be the dealer network, which will surely grow as the sales grow.

Mark my word, "Honda will reduce City price by 50k just to survive in the market"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks