Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2009, 11:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the buy(i know a lil late)
what's te FE your getting and any plans for a Pete's ? or anyother performance upgrade?
a small Q for experts here will the transmission be able to manage the extra torque from petes or any other tuning box?
Old 17th May 2009, 14:03   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
...what's te FE your getting...
10kmpl in the city on "normal" driving.

Quote:
...and any plans for a Pete's ?...
120bhp is more than than this suspension should be made to handle. Besides, even though Pete's is a DIY remove / refit, I still dont want to risk anything with the engine & warranty at this stage...plus your next quote below:

Quote:
...will the transmission be able to manage the extra torque from petes or any other tuning box?
I have "read somewhere" (cannot remember where, but on the net) that the AT box can take something upto 150/160 bhp and the M-Hawk engine has been detuned from 140 to 120 bhp, apparently for reasons related to the suspension. Having said that, its another risk I don't want to take...Not with the AT!!!

Last edited by Mohnish : 17th May 2009 at 14:06.
Old 17th May 2009, 15:51   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post

120bhp is more than than this suspension should be made to handle. Besides, even though Pete's is a DIY remove / refit, I still dont want to risk anything with the engine & warranty at this stage...plus your next quote below:
This I agree with. I also read that the Pete's box has been primarily made for EURO engines...Indian engines apparently are not *pete's worthy* enough...even though Pete's now makes boxes for them. So I am very wary of it.

Quote:
I have "read somewhere" (cannot remember where, but on the net) that the AT box can take something upto 150/160 bhp and the M-Hawk engine has been detuned from 140 to 120 bhp, apparently for reasons related to the suspension. Having said that, its another risk I don't want to take...Not with the AT!!!
I heard it the other way around! That the Manual GBox cannot take beyond 120 horses! Maybe the AT can...
Old 17th May 2009, 16:01   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
...I heard it the other way around! That the Manual GBox cannot take beyond 120 horses! Maybe the AT can...
Exactly my point Red, too much misinformation doing the rounds...Better leave whats running well alone!
Old 17th May 2009, 16:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

manual had the problem with transmission.mahindra dint change the transmission when they shifted from the crde to the mhawk,they detuned it to match .
Old 17th May 2009, 16:46   #51
BHPian

I am a little surprised on the gear shifter. Doesn't the auto box have a L D2 slot. Almost all automatics have this fuction to help keep the cars revs high especially when you need to get un-stuck or need to wade thru water, by keep the car in first or second.
Old 17th May 2009, 16:46   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
a small Q for experts here will the transmission be able to manage the extra torque from petes or any other tuning box?
Quote:
Automatics in general can handle more torque than manual transmissions. Manual transmissions can be made to handle extremely high torque ratings but they can be expensive to build.

Given that mahindra is planning to launch a full size SUV next year I am 100 percent certain that this transmission is build to handle way more that the 120 bhp mhawk. Doesn't make sense for them to launch a brand new automatic this year and then have to upgrade it when they launch the new full size SUV next year.
Old 17th May 2009, 17:03   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I am a little surprised on the gear shifter. Doesn't the auto box have a L D2 slot. Almost all automatics have this fuction to help keep the cars revs high especially when you need to get un-stuck or need to wade thru water, by keep the car in first or second.
There is the "M" slot just below the "D" which holds the transmission in the lowest gear possible until just short of engine red line. It pretty much serces the purpose you refer to, however one would have prefferred a choice of which gear to hold in, rather than the lowest possible which forces the engine to rev hard.
Old 17th May 2009, 18:57   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
There is the "M" slot just below the "D" which holds the transmission in the lowest gear possible until just short of engine red line. It pretty much serces the purpose you refer to, however one would have prefferred a choice of which gear to hold in, rather than the lowest possible which forces the engine to rev hard.
Many of the western automatics have a manual control in the 'M' mode which lets you upshift/downshift manually by tapping the lever front and back. As you rightly suggested, this would have made more sense than holding the gear until redline.
Old 23rd May 2009, 20:41   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
...lets you upshift/downshift manually by tapping the lever front and back...
Tiptronic? Yep, that would be nice, but its a bit much too ask for sub 10L
Old 23rd May 2009, 20:48   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tiptronic? Yep, that would be nice, but its a bit much too ask for sub 10L
even i thought the same until honda launched the civic with paddle shifts! yes, scorpio is a bigger car, more metal, more seats & a diesel engine. but still, i would love to have an SUV with paddle shifts for 11-12 lakhs!
Old 6th October 2009, 12:22   #57
BHPian

Hi Mohnish,
I am sure that you are enjoying yor Scorpio AT. Can you please post a review about how do you perceive the AT's performance in your Scorp?

-Pratim
Old 6th October 2009, 16:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

I too was looking for this report today.

After around 5 months post the purchase, update on your reviews. Hows the vehicle doing now? What all have you fitted into it ?

This is the only AT Scorpio on the forum and we need inputs from you on a regular basis.
Old 7th October 2009, 13:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on owning first AT scorpio in T-Bhp.
Does the AT comes with cruise control,automatic wipers/headlights etc?
Old 20th October 2009, 20:21   #60
BHPian

Approx 15K UPDATE:

I am going to keep this short as there is nothing except praise and appreciation for this vehicle and the A.S.S. (Global Gallarie, Thane). Honestly, so far its the best buy I have made.

Issues reported by me to the A.S.S. or experienced by me during this period: NONE

Jobs done by the A.S.S.(without any comment/pressure from me whatsoever)

1. Transmission Control Module (TCM) was replaced on account of a TSB recall by M&M.
2. Rear suspension bushings were replaced as the A.S.S. felt they had gone a bit "weak". I honestly did not find anything amiss in the rear end handling that would have prompted me to ask them to look at the rear suspension.
3. Right Side Headlamp and tail light replaced post rains (Mumbai) as the A.S.S. pointed out to me there was a fine mist (moisture) forming within that would eventually lead to the chrome reflectors rusting and the glass discolouring. Again, I did not notice it until it was pointed out to me.
4. Right side rear door cladding replaced as there was a mild pressure point displayed (resulting in scuffing) on the edge. According to A.S.S. this was on account of the rear door loosing its setting and pressing on the front door cladding when opening / closing.

May be I do not look for faults with a tooth comb, but I was extremely impressed with the service.

Went through the Mumbai monsoons floods etc. without any issues whatsoever.

FE City with AC on all the time and "normal" drving is steady at 10km/l.
Highway hovers around 14 km/l.
Unsteady (depending on the road conditions) after 110 kmph. Personally, I would stay under 100kmph incase an emergency avoidance manouver has to be executed.

As far as VFM, nothing beats this deal today.

@Ramsagar: Cruise Control, Rain Sensors, Light Sensor, Reversing aid, ABS, Steering Audio Controls.

Correction: I had previously posted (on this thread) that there was no roll back feature in the AT g/b. I am wrong, there is a roll back feature.

I have not added / altered anything on the vehicle as that would possibly void my warranty (4years/1Lkms). Just seat covers, ORVM chrome covers with indicator and Rear speakers all done with A.S.S. knowlegde and consent.

Do keep in mind that I am an end user with limited but what I consider adequate knowledge / exprerience, not an expert.

Last edited by Mohnish : 20th October 2009 at 20:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks