Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 20:31   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Thanks. I have been successful in doing as you mentioned for the first 3 gears but I have not perfected getting it to go into the 4th (OD ratio). Will test on some open stretch
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you find out what gear an automatic is in? Going through some of the AT related threads since last night - it's been quite a revelation. I earlier thought driving an AT just meant shifting to D and stepping on the gas.

Last edited by CBlazer : 22nd August 2009 at 20:32.
Old 24th August 2009, 18:50   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you find out what gear an automatic is in? Going through some of the AT related threads since last night - it's been quite a revelation. I earlier thought driving an AT just meant shifting to D and stepping on the gas.
@CBlazer: Yes, you shift it into 'D' and off you go, It is as easy as that. However your fuel efficiency is highly dependant on how you drive. You can feel/hear the shifts as well as see the engine responding by observing the RPMs fall each gear it goes higher. It is usually harder to figure out the gear in more refined cars.
Old 12th September 2009, 20:34   #33
BHPian

I'd like to report a couple of things. With a tyre pressure of 33 psi, going over the 'cat's-eyes' on the Andheri flyover and over the uneven part of the bridge on Tulsi Pipe road makes the car quite 'skaty'. At 30 psi feels better and more planted.

Point 2: The never ending quest to max the fuel efficiency in the i10 A/T. Many thanks to everyone for their A/T driving tips. I think all i10 A/T owners need to meet for a knowledge sharing session.

Today, I was managing to push her into OD (4th) even at lower speeds. The accelerator touch as someone said should be as if there was an eggshell under the pedal. This works well and that sudden dull base sound tells you that you have indeed moved into 4th. This is sure to increase my FE. I regularly get about 9.2 in city driving conditions (AC always ON, No engine switch off at the lights & shift into neutral at all lights no matter how short)

Last edited by NevGin : 12th September 2009 at 20:35.
Old 12th September 2009, 23:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd like to report a couple of things. With a tyre pressure of 33 psi, going over the 'cat's-eyes' on the Andheri flyover and over the uneven part of the bridge on Tulsi Pipe road makes the car quite 'skaty'. At 30 psi feels better and more planted.

Point 2: The never ending quest to max the fuel efficiency in the i10 A/T. Many thanks to everyone for their A/T driving tips. I think all i10 A/T owners need to meet for a knowledge sharing session.

Today, I was managing to push her into OD (4th) even at lower speeds. The accelerator touch as someone said should be as if there was an eggshell under the pedal. This works well and that sudden dull base sound tells you that you have indeed moved into 4th. This is sure to increase my FE. I regularly get about 9.2 in city driving conditions (AC always ON, No engine switch off at the lights & shift into neutral at all lights no matter how short)
One gets this sound around 60 KMPH correct?
Old 13th September 2009, 00:57   #35
BANNED

where do u live in bombay dude, and i dont think after u press OD it goes in 4th at all. it stays and pulls in 3rd which is the top gear i guess in that mode. OD is fun to do wheel spins too.
Old 13th September 2009, 12:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:

Regarding FE of AT, I want to make a comment as I own a Santro AT for last 2 years. May be you have heard of this already - put the transmission into neutral (N) when you have stopped the car unless you can switch off the engine. This can happen at signal lights where the waiting time is not long enough to switch off the engine.
Old 14th September 2009, 17:50   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
One gets this sound around 60 KMPH correct?
Most of the time yes. Though I have been managing to get this (sometimes) at early to mid fifties as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Regarding FE of AT, I want to make a comment as I own a Santro AT for last 2 years. May be you have heard of this already - put the transmission into neutral (N) when you have stopped the car unless you can switch off the engine. This can happen at signal lights where the waiting time is not long enough to switch off the engine.
Thanks, I agree. I put it into Neutral every given opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
where do u live in bombay dude, and i dont think after u press OD it goes in 4th at all. it stays and pulls in 3rd which is the top gear i guess in that mode. OD is fun to do wheel spins too.
Jesal: My overdrive is always in the 'ON' condition. What I meant by going into OD was that I'd manage to get the car to go into 4th at a lower speed/RPM.
Cheers Mate!

Last edited by Zappo : 14th September 2009 at 17:57. Reason: Please use the multiquote button. You can't make 1 post for each reply and make so many back to back posts. Posts merged.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:16   #38
BHPian

Some updates and questions from me at 3500 Kms

1. My mileage is slowly improving. It typically ranges between 9 & 10 Kmpl

2. One of the small hub caps fell off my alloy wheel. Any idea where I could get a standard replacement?

3. The driver side door speaker has started making a spluttering sound like an old marine diesel engine. I'm wondering if I should bother to take it to HMM and get it replaced under warranty or just have new ones fitted on my own. Suggestions of what to fit are most welcome

Thanks
Old 19th November 2009, 11:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some updates and questions from me at 3500 Kms

1. My mileage is slowly improving. It typically ranges between 9 & 10 Kmpl

2. One of the small hub caps fell off my alloy wheel. Any idea where I could get a standard replacement?

3. The driver side door speaker has started making a spluttering sound like an old marine diesel engine. I'm wondering if I should bother to take it to HMM and get it replaced under warranty or just have new ones fitted on my own. Suggestions of what to fit are most welcome

Thanks
Nice to hear that your FE is increasing
I typically get around 12 kmpl now (2900+ kms)

Try the tire shop that sold you the wheel. They might have a single piece hubcap. you can also try ebay!

Get the speaker replaced under warranty - and change all 4 speakers (exchange your old speakers). 1 gone might be an indication for 3 others going soon!

Last edited by blackasta : 19th November 2009 at 11:23.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Your speaker has gone Kaput. Please get the same replaced ASAP.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:53   #41
BHPian

@Sid - Good point. I will play it the way you mentioned as I don't see the ones replaced under warranty lasting too long

@DieselFan - Thanks. Will do just that
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:05   #42
BHPian

Hello All - Putting this under a new post as a completely different kind of situation has cropped up.

My car is typically driven within the city, which typically means 95% of the time under 80 Kmph. On my way to work, there are two stretches of road where I can hit anything above 80 kmph.

About 4 weeks back, I noticed this squeaky sound from the driver’s side. Definitely from outside of the vehicle. On more than 2 occasions I dismissed the sound off as that emitting from a surrounding rickshaw, creaky taxi with a worn out suspension.

Now I have come to realize that this noise comes each time my car touches 80 Kmph and probably speeds beyond as well. I was at a 100 Kmph this morning and I believe I heard it continue at that speed.

This is now troubling me to no end. I hope its not the wheel bearing or the tie-rod's or any suspension related problem. Having after market alloys and tires, I just hope HMM does not crib and say that they will not cover this under warranty.

I need your suggestion friends:

I have a 5K or 6 Months service due on 13-Dec. Should I wait till then and get everything done (Service, Speaker change & squeak) at one go or should I get it attended to right away.

Quote:
Nice to hear that your FE is increasing
I typically get around 12 kmpl now (2900+ kms)
Sid - How do you manage that mileage my friend? Please enlighten! I would have thought that on Kolkata roads it would have given a lower FE.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 23rd November 2009 at 12:19. Reason: See note in post.
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All - Putting this under a new post as a completely different kind of situation has cropped up.

About 4 weeks back, I noticed this squeaky sound from the driver’s side. Definitely from outside of the vehicle.

Now I have come to realize that this noise comes each time my car touches 80 Kmph and probably speeds beyond as well. I was at a 100 Kmph this morning and I believe I heard it continue at that speed.

I need your suggestion friends:

I have a 5K or 6 Months service due on 13-Dec. Should I wait till then and get everything done (Service, Speaker change & squeak) at one go or should I get it attended to right away.

Sid - How do you manage that mileage my friend? Please enlighten! I would have thought that on Kolkata roads it would have given a lower FE.
I guess that squeaky noise can be something with the suspensions, or just might be a grease leak from the bushes. It is best that you get it checked immediately.
This is the sole reason why I try to drive the first/last km with no ICE/air blower/AC with windows down, just to know if there are any sounds from exterior.

To get good FE, just follow these simple rules:

1. Try not to use your car for drives less than 10 km.
2. Don't bang on the gas at every opportunity - if there is a red light 200m ahead, just let go of the gas - then brake slowly.
3. Try the upshifting by throttle use - when you reach 2400-2500 rpm - just let go of the gas pedal a bit, and you can see that the tacho drops to around 1200-1500 rpm and the car upshifts.
4. Dont blast off - accelerate steadily.
5. Red light <45 seconds = neutral, red light > 45 seconds = Engine off.
6. Fill petrol when the tank is half - to 3/4 empty - this helps maintain the fuel pressure and prevents dirt in the fuel line. Also prevents gas fumes.
7. Fill up petrol at early morning/night. The temperature would be cooler which would prevent gas fumes from forming inside the petrol tank, and you would get more of liquid petrol than gas fumes filling up you tank.
8. Do not fill up petrol when a tanker is unloading. This stirs up the dirt inside the storage and you get murky petrol.

I had an article on this (received during the mini gas crisis in US some time back), shall try to dig it up and share it with all.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2009, 14:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I guess that squeaky noise can be something with the suspensions, or just might be a grease leak from the bushes. It is best that you get it checked immediately.
This is the sole reason why I try to drive the first/last km with no ICE/air blower/AC with windows down, just to know if there are any sounds from exterior.

2. Don't bang on the gas at every opportunity - if there is a red light 200m ahead, just let go of the gas - then brake slowly.
3. Try the upshifting by throttle use - when you reach 2400-2500 rpm - just let go of the gas pedal a bit, and you can see that the tacho drops to around 1200-1500 rpm and the car upshifts.
6. Fill petrol when the tank is half - to 3/4 empty - this helps maintain the fuel pressure and prevents dirt in the fuel line. Also prevents gas fumes.
7. Fill up petrol at early morning/night. The temperature would be cooler which would prevent gas fumes from forming inside the petrol tank, and you would get more of liquid petrol than gas fumes filling up you tank.
8. Do not fill up petrol when a tanker is unloading. This stirs up the dirt inside the storage and you get murky petrol.

I had an article on this (received during the mini gas crisis in US some time back), shall try to dig it up and share it with all.
Thanks Sid.
- Will have the squeak checked asap
- I am going to try hard to follow points 6 & 7 in your FE suggestions
Old 25th November 2009, 11:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Do all this to improve mileage or buy a diesel car to get a great mileage .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks