Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 14:47   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Do all this to improve mileage or buy a diesel car to get a great mileage .

Good point, besides a good modern diesel with plenty of torque like Vista QJ works almost like an automatic in traffic since you can pull effortlessly from 3rd gear. But anyways, OT.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Tire upgrade & alloys looks good. Well maintained. Why can't fill in nitrogen in all the tires. See if you can source a spoiler, it will enhance the esthetic's.

Have a safe drive. Put your seat belt on.
Old 25th November 2009, 18:47   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Do all this to improve mileage or buy a diesel car to get a great mileage .
Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Good point, besides a good modern diesel with plenty of torque like Vista QJ works almost like an automatic in traffic since you can pull effortlessly from 3rd gear. But anyways, OT.
Thanks! Actually that's exactly what has crossed my mind. I will be test driving the Cruze over the coming weekend (hopefully it will be available) and then intend to wait out till they launch the automatic version. That will also give me sometime to put together the bucks for it.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:29   #49
BHPian

Seems like my FE is improving if the drive is longer than 10kms for each go. Last time i filled up 19.87 ltrs of BPCL for 1000Rs my ODO ran for about 245kms , that is 12.3kms/ltr.

If i go for small drives i get around 210kms for every 1000rs.
Driving is very relaxed and smooth .

Diesel is an option for FE , but where do we an auto diesel for less than 10lacs.

Turn off engine 10secs or for 45 secs ?
Get 30 More Miles Per Tank: Turn Off Engine If Idling More Than 10 Seconds - The Consumerist
Old 30th November 2009, 20:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Seems like my FE is improving if the drive is longer than 10kms for each go. Last time i filled up 19.87 ltrs of BPCL for 1000Rs my ODO ran for about 245kms , that is 12.3kms/ltr.

If i go for small drives i get around 210kms for every 1000rs.
Driving is very relaxed and smooth .

Diesel is an option for FE , but where do we an auto diesel for less than 10lacs.

Turn off engine 10secs or for 45 secs ?
Get 30 More Miles Per Tank: Turn Off Engine If Idling More Than 10 Seconds - The Consumerist
Nice to know that you are extracting good mileage out of your car.

Well there is an option of diesel automatic below 10 lakhs - verna crdi.

But what we need is an automatic diesel hatch.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:09   #51
BHPian

I am posting this late. While on a driving trip week before last, my combined fuel efficiency was 12.72 Km/lt. Out of the 320 odd kms, I did 240 kms on highway stretches. This could have been much better at a slower pace.

Also touched a straight line speed of 160 Km/hr without wind assist and no curve on the road. Had to switch off the air-conditioning to get the car to gather some steam beyond 140 Km/hr.

High speeds into a turn, and the i10 gets a little twitchy. Two reasons come to mind: One, completely my own doing: I had 33 psi in the XM1+. Two, though the steering is no drifter it is not as precise as I like it to be. Perhaps that’s what comes out of driving 2 slightly bigger cars with better high speed road manners.
Old 18th January 2010, 13:09   #52
BHPian

High Security License Plates & new H4 bulbs

As has happened to every car me or my immediate family have owned, the Perspex license plate broke into half and fell off. Part of the reason is that the car cover invariably gets stuck into the corners of the license plate when trying to remove it.

Anyhow, this time for a replacement I had the High Security number plates made. When they are given to you, they come without holes drilled into it. On offer is also a plastic casing that you can insert the plate into, and attach the case to the bumper. The case itself was Rs. 600 per piece! So went the good way and drilled holes.

What I like about the plates:

1. They are made of very good aluminum material. Looks and feels custom built specially for you (I know it is as it has my car registration number but nevertheless)
2. The font and size readability is very good as well
3. The plate lights up quite brightly at night. I presume they use a good reflective coating.

Now I want to zero in on some good bulbs. I researched a lot on H4 HID kits primarily Japan or US based as I can have them sent over to me from these locations. There is nothing specific that I have found and hence skeptical of buying one from there and then not having it install well on the i10.

This being the situation, I need new aftermarket bulbs. The toss up is between Osram Nightbreakers or the Philips X-treme Power. I welcome your suggestions & inputs on this please.
Old 19th January 2010, 14:31   #53
BHPian

7 month ownership report – Hyundai i10 Sportz Auto 6000 Kms

Greetings!
It’s been 7 months since we’ve had the i10 Auto Sportz and to put it in one line: The experience has been splendid.

The car was selected because it offered an automatic transmission and would primarily be driven within Bombay city limits. Of course the ‘strictness’ I mentioned in the previous sentence went out of the window as I have driven her several times to Pune & Gujarat as well.

Factors that still ‘Wow’ me everyday about this car
  • The motor is very potent and raring to go each time you touch the accelerator pedal. And this just keeps getting better with time.
  • The automatic transmission is really smooth when it shifts down the gears and is barely noticeable when you driver here with a light foot
  • For some reason I thought I’d never say this but I am: The most flat sides of the car body helps me move around traffic with much more confidence. I am the type of person who thinks hard about every scratch on the car and how it could have been avoided. Yes I have some scratches on this as well but nothing compared to what I had on my 2 earlier Swifts.
  • I like how when you need to shut the hatch, you just drop it and it closes without any fuss. In fact I was so happy the first time I discovered this that I kept experimenting by opening and closing it several times.
  • The boot can actually carry one packed full size suitcase, the parcel tray still folds and the boot closes without any shoving and pushing. Reminds me of my good old Corsa Sail.
Driving Dynamics
  • The driving position for one is high. I sometimes feel that I am on par in height with a CRV. Good visibility all round and I am really happy I don’t have tints. Though I am considering putting V-Cool film soon.
  • My 14” alloys coupled with the Michelin’s have made all the difference. Probably the best decision made in conjunction with a lot of you folks on this forum. Appreciate all your advice. Ride quality is excellent in the city but with lighter loads. Add a couple of people at the back and it will tend to become a tad springy over our not so flat roads in Bombay.
  • The power is more than adequate and pulls cleanly. This is a rev happy motor and the power to weight ratio is about 25 or 26 which though pretty much standard, does the job well. The motor runs out of steam after about 140 Km/hr with the air conditioning switched on. Put it off and you will immediately feel a slight boost pushing your speed up.
  • Road manners: While it may not be the best in the segment, it is no slouch either. There is no nervousness’s in the steering even at high speeds. On highways I typically drive at a steady 110 km/hr with family and 140 km/hr when alone. Top speed achieved in a straight line has been 160 Km/hr (no wind or slope assist). The car holds the road well on curves and inspires confidence. The steering wheel is sturdy and offers good feedback and thankfully not feather light.
  • Braking: The car comes to a clean stop in a straight line without fuss. This has been tested up to 80 km/hr. No awkward movements from side to side, very little pitch and the Michelins don’t screech. As is the case with automatics, it has a fat brake pedal which is really helps the foot get a different position if required. The brake wear has not been even and they made adjustments to the pads on my 2nd service. But has not corrected it 100%.
  • Noise damping: This is one area they could to better in my opinion. Many a time I think that one of my windows are slightly open (because I can literally feel a car next to me as if there was no window) I immediately touch all 4 power window switches to see that they are up completely and they always have been. Door seals can be made better. I check them regularly for fit.
  • Suspension: I have always felt that after 5000 kms, the feel of nice new bushings go away. No different for this as well. I would do anything to get that feel back on my cars but never know how to. The workshop does not help either. Bigger potholes bring out a nice thud from the front suspension. Going over steel joints over flyovers is not too bad. It could have been better. Going over the ‘cat’s eyes’ in a straight line is really good and cat’s eyes over a curve is not so good. (I don’t know why we have them at the exit loop that goes to SV road from the western express highway.) In fact the back seems to come out a bit; some amount of Z axis movement.
Other Areas
  • Car Care: If you haven’t already, please see a picture of the car-care products I use. Shampoo every 2 weeks. Paste wax once in 3 months. Liquid wax once in 1 to 1.5 months. I have recently asked for a detailing clay bar as well for future use. So far the paint feels very smooth in most areas.
  • Fuel Efficiency: It initially started off at 7.5 Km/lt for complete city driving. Now I am at about 9.8 km/lt. This is for complete peak hour driving with the air-conditioning never turned off. Highway: 12 to 13 km/lt if driven hard. It would give more if driven with a lighter foot which I am unable to do when on the highway.
Squeaks, Niggles, Dislikes:
  • There was an unlocking problem with the Hyundai security system installed. This was taken care of almost immediately.
  • The right front speaker has been making a torn sound and each time I call HMP they tell me that the speaker is out of stock. While they are not grand speakers, I would still like them working well.
  • Some of the plastic tends to resonate at certain speeds; like the black cladding of the 2DIN system, the left air-conditioning vent and the left door panel.
  • Initially the cream colored dashboard’s glare in the front windscreen was very annoying but I guess I have got used to it. Bit I would suggest that Hyundai consider making the interiors black like the German i10.
  • Hyundai Service: I have used Continental and now HMP. But leaves a lot to be desired. Honda is getting me pampered I think. Especially after they put in that insert saying that they have restored my car to the settings it came with to their workshop. Dam that’s nice.
  • The horn is funny to say the least. I haven’t bothered to change it as I use it very seldom.
  • The headlights: These are terrible. I don’t understand how they can pass cars with such shoddy OE. For a person who returns from work every day after the sun has set, this is not confidence inspiring. Need to put in X-treme power of Nightbreakers. Please suggest on this.
  • To get air into your donut, you need to unscrew the whole setup to reach the valve. The person manning the air station gets very impatient as do the others in the line behind me. So I do this at home and then fill air.
  • One very important thing they have missed out in my opinion which is central locking button on the driver’s side arm rest. I dislike pushing that knob next to the door lever and it is highly inconvenient. Even the A-Start has this why not then i10?
Accessories
  • None actually. In my opinion the 14” alloys and larger tires that I had put on are a necessity
  • I put a set of transparent floor mats
  • Since my number plate broke off, I had the high security plate installed. Nice clear numbers and font, similar sized plates. All adds a touch of European sophistication :- )
To sum it up, it’s a lovely little car for the city and performs admirably on the highway as well. Excellent power, good road manners, super convenient with the automatic transmission and very good reliability, this is a car hard to ignore in its segment and makes for a very good value proposition.

Appreciate your time in reading this!
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2010, 15:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Greetings!
It’s been 7 months since we’ve had the i10 Auto Sportz and to put it in one line: The experience has been splendid.

Appreciate your time in reading this!

Nevgin - I have experiences down similiar lines (especially that suspension thingy). This car is perfect for city roundabouts with occasional sprints on highways.
About that 160 kmph, which road were you on? GQ?
I touched 150 on an open (but patchworked) road, and ran out of tarmac after 150. I must say brakes are really good.
About ABS - I had 1 time when ABS intervened and possibly saved a lot of trouble. A biker came from right gap (when none is allowed though that gap) when I was drivign at around 60, and i pressed the brakes hard on gravel+dirt on the road. ABS kicked in and allowed me to swerve at the same time I was at full braking.
If there was no ABS, I guess I would have hit the biker or the divider walls.

One of friends owning an i10 magna has upgraded to philips xtreme power and he rates 60% improvement over the stock.

Last edited by blackasta : 19th January 2010 at 16:02.
Old 19th January 2010, 16:06   #55
BHPian

Hi Sid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
About that 160 kmph, which road were you on? GQ?
Good ole Mumbai - Pune Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
One of friends owning an i10 magna has upgraded to philips xtreme power and he rates 60% improvement over the stock.
Thanks for that info. X-treme power it is then!
Old 5th February 2010, 18:33   #56
BHPian

Wheel Alignment

I have this feeling that since my car got back from her 2nd free service, the ride has become bumpier. Right before giving her for the service, I made a trip to Gujarat which was so nice and comfortable.

Since this service I find:

1. It somehow hits potholes harder. This is despite the fact that I have tried a number of air pressure options all on cold tires mind you.
2. The braking has become unequal and I can feel the unevenness while braking at low speeds on the rear right drum

I am not happy with this considering I took the car to HMP. To add to it, I had ¾ tank of fuel when I gave the car in for service, and they returned it to me with about ¼ tank. I haven't said anything but this is ridiculous.

When I titled this post as wheel alignment: Well they did correct the center of the steering wheel and did "front wheel alignment" Could it be that the alignment settings have changed and that is causing the car to be a tad hard on the potholes?
Old 16th December 2010, 00:42   #57
BHPian

Re: 7 month ownership report – Hyundai i10 Sportz Auto 6000 Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
i10 Auto Sportz
Request an update on your long term experience (including FE) with your i10 AT. I am considering buying an i10 AT.
Old 16th December 2010, 12:12   #58
BHPian

18 month ownership report – Hyundai i10 Sportz Auto at 16,000 Km

Greetings to everyone!

@Murugan – I was about to put up an update anyway so really glad you posted on the thread
I will write in the same categories as I did for the 7 month review:

Factors that still ‘Wow’ me everyday about this car
  • For the past 5 months, the car has been clocking kilometers travelling to the South side of Bombay. This means more congestion and stop-start driving during peak office hours. Despite that, the economy of the car has remained steady at ~ 9.5 km/l
    To date, the pleasure that this cars brings when driving in traffic or pottering around in the city or for that matter even driving on the highway, is best in its class.
    There is not a single squeak in this car despite the fact that it plies on what must probably be the worst roads in India; The roads of the Mumbai suburbs.
    There has been no major work carried out on this car apart from regular service
Driving Dynamics
  • I am very satisfied with the Kappa motor. Very rev happy & responsive. I believe its still getting better as the miles keep piling up
  • Once again I must make special mention of the 14” alloys with the Michelins. It is my opinion that had I not invested in these, I would not be as happy. This monsoon we were on the way back to Bombay on the expressway when there was a super heavy downpour and the car felt just as planted with the Michelins doing a fantastic job of pumping out the water. The best investment ever made for a car. To date I regret not having changed my VW Polo tires when the car arrived 6 weeks back. I thought the Appolo’s would do the job. Sadly they fall below expectation.
  • Braking: This is the one area the i10 really could do with a lot of improvement. The brakes need to be more responsive and the braking more even. Very shortly I will be changing them and am looking hard to find good alternatives. Having said that, there are no issues in stopping, etc. It is just not up to my liking.
  • The ride quality. Look it’s a small car with not too large a wheel base and to boot the suspension is stiff to keep its road manners good. So while there is a trade off in ride quality when you upsize with thinner tire walls vis-à-vis with the stock 13” with a taller wall height.
Squeaks, Niggles, Dislikes:
  • Would you believe if I told you that by remote locking problem came back just last week! Well it has and I need to take it back to the service center to get it looked at. FYI the remote locking system was fitted as a Hyundai original accessory when the car was bought.
  • The workmanship at Hyundai service centers is sub par at best. The people are very nice but that does make good quality workmanship. They have blown out my front speakers on 2 occasions, still cannot get the braking to my satisfaction (I feel there is unequal braking at times. It is so slight that they refuse to acknowledge whereas I am super sensitive to how my car feels and sounds) and make a mess of the interior of my car each time it’s serviced. And this is at the Hyundai owned and operated service center so I shudder to think what kind of service they’d provide at other places. Again the people are lovely, I have an excellent working relationship with them but they need to know how to run their shop. As of now its lousy.
  • Philips Xtreme power is a must to put in and that has changed the way the road looks after dark. This is an absolute necessity. The stock headlights are the worst in class. Our family A Star had better lights before we put in Xtreme power into it.
The ease of driving this vis-à-vis the Polo cannot even be compared. The i10 A/T is just so easy, comfortable and stress free to drive that sometimes I wish they had planted the DSG transmission into the Polo. I would have gladly bought it without thinking.

With the new features in the new i10, it has become an even better value proposition and hard to ignore in my opinion. To add to that the new car font looks much better. Excellent overall package and I’d buy another should the chance present itself.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2010, 00:54   #59
BHPian

Re: Adding to the Hyundai i10 Automatic count - My experience EDIT: 7 month update

Hey Nevgin, let me first congratulate you on maintaining such an informative thread. I have never driven an AT, but reading this post I think I will definitely love driving one. Thanks for this post.

I noticed one thing, you are not very satisfied with the Hyundai service centers. Which service stations have you tried till now? I recently bought an i20 CRDI, and would be completing the 1200 kms mark soon. Have got good reviews about Shreenath Hyundai in Andheri, but it seems they have got no slots before 25th. Have got Kunal Motors (Irla) nearby, but have no idea about the quality of the mechanics there. Do you have any suggestions regarding this?
Old 17th December 2010, 15:49   #60
BHPian

Re: Adding to the Hyundai i10 Automatic count - My experience EDIT: 7 month update

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive View Post
Hey Nevgin, let me first congratulate you on maintaining such an informative thread. I have never driven an AT, but reading this post I think I will definitely love driving one. Thanks for this post.

I noticed one thing, you are not very satisfied with the Hyundai service centers. Which service stations have you tried till now? I recently bought an i20 CRDI, and would be completing the 1200 kms mark soon. Have got good reviews about Shreenath Hyundai in Andheri, but it seems they have got no slots before 25th. Have got Kunal Motors (Irla) nearby, but have no idea about the quality of the mechanics there. Do you have any suggestions regarding this?
Thanks PassionateDrive. I use HMP which is owned and operated by Hyundai. Hence my point in my earlier post that if they are not up to the mark then I wonder how the others are. Location wise this one is more convenient to me. I am sure Shreenath is good. I don't know about the one in Irla but seems to be that they are only a service center and may not attend to other problems. Plus with Alfa being there I am scared to even drive there

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks