Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 08:34   #76
Senior - BHPian

Coming back into the car after driving the non PS Gypsy for a day, it takes time to get used to what then feels like an over servoed power steering, that feels totally disconnected from the wheels in terms of steering effort. I have to be very careful to guard against overcorrecting until I recalibrate to the car. On the other hand, the comfort/convenience features of the car do stand out, and in comparison, it feels like a luxury sedan! The interiors of the car are quite classy for the price point. As good as the ten lakh sedans. Also, switching from the Spark to the i 20, one realizes that the Korean car is a big and wide car.
Unlike the Spark that seems to be running a lot better as it frees up, the i 20 is a car that was always free in feel - engine as well as transmission. The FE has been good from day 1, and the engine never felt tight in the way new engines tend to, in the first 1000-2000 kms.
No glitches, nothing else to report. Just that the convenience of a USB stick that can be controlled so well by the HU/steering remote is something that one gets used to very quickly. And with USB prices plummeting, one can have a hundred CDs on a stick, all navigable very easily by the HU interface. One just needs to have correctly gotten all the title/track information on the stick, and long drives are taken care of with just one little USB stick, making the i 20 a very good long distance car for decent quality highways, for up to 4 people. On these drives, it also gives FE of up to 18 if one drives smoothly.
Old 13th January 2010, 16:47   #77
Senior - BHPian

Final update post 6 month service

Since it is one of three cars, the i 20 has done just around 4000 kms, and much of it has been intercity drives. It is working flawlessly, and this is the final report on completion of the 6 month second service.
As stated, there is nary a hitch/glitch and no hint of any body rattle. The front suspension clatters a bit on bad roads, and the service manager drove it at my request and clarified that this is normal, not the issue for which Hyundai has put out a circular.
I had a small interesting conversation with the service station folks. Since they are sincere, it was a very good natured talk. On these lines:
Before I gave the car to the station, I had found that they use only IOC Servo, so I bought Magnatec and gave it for the oil change, with no demur heard in the morning.
When I went to take the car, I was told that they had put in the oil, but there may be a warranty issue, because it was not Hyundai oil - the IOC Servo has a Hyundai endorsement on the label, but it is of SJ grade.
I showed the people the manual that expressly says that the i 20 needs oil of SL or SM grade - the Magnatec was SM, and Hyundai also cobrands a SL grade Shell, which the service set up wasn't aware of.
I told them that by putting the SJ grade IOC oil, they would probably harm the engine - and since I was sure that the Magnatec I bought was genuine, I saw nothing to get excited about.
I also told them that had they kept the Hyundai endorsed Shell in SL grade, I would not have bothered to get my oil with me.
This is a new set up in Pune, and I guess they had not come across too many people that bother about such things.
We concluded by agreeing that if Hyundai wanted to void my warranty, they would write me an official letter, stating that I should have used Servo instead.
And with immediate effect, the shop agreed that it will start keeping Shell, so this is a one time storm in a tea cup!
Other than that, the entire service experience was very pleasant.
As is the car, to drive and own. I love the sound system, with the USB stick interface....brilliant. 100 CDs in a matchbox size thingie!! Just the thing for long drives.
Old 8th March 2012, 16:29   #78
BHPian

Re: Arrival of my new Hyundai i20 Asta (1.2 Kappa)

Hello Mr. Sawyer,

The thread is sleepy since 2010. I am planning to book a white or blue i20 for my wife soon - waiting for the announcement of the "new" i20 launched at Geneva Motor Show

I have gone through your entire thread and must say that its quite an involving one. Have you got the steering rattle issues.

Please post a brief review of your experience from 2010 till now if possible.
Old 14th March 2012, 13:06   #79
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the steering rattle is fixed now, and the car continues to do well after 20000 kilometers. A great car, if one can live with the slightly weak engine.
Old 21st March 2012, 13:59   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Yes, the steering rattle is fixed now, and the car continues to do well after 20000 kilometers. A great car, if one can live with the slightly weak engine.
Hi,

My i20 is 2009 make, Asta, 26 K driven, still the rattle is after they fixed it once but still there, can you help me by sharing how did they fix it, and which service center did it.. usually I go to Garve Hyundai. Please help if you can

Thanks
Shyamtanu

Last edited by Shyamtanu : 21st March 2012 at 14:00.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:20   #81
BHPian

Quote:
I would have used matt black vinyl tape. But since I find it hard to choose which one looks better, I am not doing it for now - why do it in that case is the question!
Just responding though it is an old thread, I did check with Garve Hyundai accessories, for one side this fibre thing costs 1600 I wil put venyl tape, much easier

Can this one be deleted please?

Last edited by Shyamtanu : 21st March 2012 at 14:35.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:23   #82
BHPian

Quote:
I would have used matt black vinyl tape. But since I find it hard to choose which one looks better, I am not doing it for now - why do it in that case is the question!
Just responding though it is an old thread, I did check with Garve Hyundai accessories, for one side this fibre thing costs 1600 I will put vinyl tape, much easier

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks