Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 12:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Xylo- E6, 2009.

Its has been in me a long time to write a detailed review of my Xylo.

What Car?

These were the initial options, ANHC, Innova G4.

The ANHC was soon out of the list, primary reason it was a sedan and we needed a bigger car. My mom was persistent with the fact that she needed a bigger vehicle. The only reason being she would be able to bring goodies from her native, jackfruit, coconuts, mango et all.
I was glad too, the interiors of the ANHC were not to my liking. And to be even more honest, I was against the premium Honda charges for their cars and the sales guy even had the audicy to tell me that white would be even more expensive as the same was not available. Also, after the OHC Vtec the ANHC fails to impress.

The new Innova was soon to be launched. I waited and was quite disappointed considering the fact that I need to pay more than a lakh and she did not have even some of the basic features standard to the Xylo.

Dealer Experience.

I walked in the day the Xylo was launched and managed to get a test drive of the same. A Gold shimmer full option E8 was at my disposal.
I took her for a spin to the lonley stretch at Codissa road. This is a staright road with a few bad patches and to add to the delight a mud road was also available.
The motor took a turn more than usual to start. The grunt of the CRDe was the same as the Scorpio. I hit it on the higway first and she gianed some considerable momentum. I threw it around the Codissa stretch and the mud roads. I will comment on her capabilities later. The sales guy was quite composed and had an indepth knowledge about the Xylo. He told me they were even given an induction for the Xylo. Also he was quite informative and did not rush irrespctive of the fact that he was aware there were many others waiting for the TD vehicle to get back for their turn. He got down to the details on every aspect of the interior therein. After I got back to the ASSC, they gave me a form to fill which included details like, fit and finish, driving comfort, interiors and salesman knowledge. I diligently did the same.

Why the Xylo E6.

I paid the booking amount on a Toredor Red E6.

My dad wanted to get the top end E8, and I wanted to get the E6.
These were the additional features of the E8. Alloy wheels, foldable flight trays, limited info on the DDAS, anti pich power window and full fabric seat.

I reasoned the E6 likewise, I did not like the OE alloys, foldable trays did not make sense to me, the additional info on the DDAS was cabin and outside temperature, and the navigational direction. This is something I could live with, anti pinch power windows were a good option unfortunate that the same is not available on the E6. The E6 also came with fabric seats however with PVC inserts, I reasoned this would be easier to clean, atleast the PVC strip.
So it was the E6 then.

I wanted the E6 in silver, again not available. The E6 was available only in the following colour options. Black with beige interiors, T.red with black interiors, mint green with beige interiors. Black was out, hard to maintaind and also the resale on black cars were low in Tamilnadu. The only goof up the sales guy did was to mention that Mint green was identical to the light green on the Santro. Shade cards were not available and was not able to see the colour anyplace, the website featured the colour completely different. I checked some other sites and to my horror was a completly mad green . I showed the sales guy the green and he was very grateful that I did not book the same. I always liked red even though this was more on the maroonish side. Also, beige interiors are not one of my favourites and I do not understand why some manufacturers think beige is still in. I liked the black and silver interiors. So that was it, toredor red E6 with black interiors.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

What is pinch windows ? Never actually heard of it. Nice to see a Mahindra dealer experience improving.
Please post your experience with the capabilities of this car.
Can you please post the pictures of this car ?
Old 30th July 2009, 16:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Beejay,
One of the best MUV for that cost.
I had a TD and it's very easy to drive in city.seems like a small car.
Happy Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
What is pinch windows ? Never actually heard of it.
Power Windows automatically goes down,When there is a collision with some object while closing down.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hope we have more to read soon, with pix.

Pinch window; I think it wont roll up if you have any obstacle blocking it.
Edit: maybe what karthik says too.
Old 30th July 2009, 18:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Fit and Finish- Exterior.

After taking delivery of the vehicle I drove straight to the tyre store to get the wheels replaced. I was of opinion that the Xylo shared the same PCD as that of the Scorpio. However I was wrong, the PCD was 120 and there were no wheels that fit the Xylo. So I had to do with the wheels that came with the MUV. I removed the wheel caps though.
The fit and finish of the exterior is excellent, the lines are flawless and the gaps even. The looks of the Xylo grow on you. I must say if I were able to change the wheels it would have had an agressive stance. Heard that the wheels are now available in the market, yet none of good repute. The door handles are lower and you need to grab low. The alarm of the car is very loud, I have stuffed cloth and reduced the sound. One more thing that I have noticed is that the car is a pain to wash, especially the top. You need to open the doors and stand on the board inside. Maybe thats why they have given a foot board behind the MUV as it serves no other purpose.

Fit and Finish- Interiors.

Ingress and egress is a tad difficult for the elderly. Once inside you get acres of space. I usually drive with the driver side seat pushed to its maximum and yet there is space for the passenger behind to sit comfortably. There are huge grab handles that remind me of towel hangers. The view is great and I am still to figure the blind spot. One thing that i have noticed is that there are lights provided everywhere. Puddle lamps, in the vanity mirror and also inside the glove box. The audio is usb compatible and has aux input. The DDAS has a bright orange glow which dulls to a sober orange once you start the engine. The gear lever has a square knob and can be a pain for some people. I have got used to it now. The seats are comfortable and I have taken the 7 seat option, two rows of captain seats and a third row bench. The aircon is effective and can be directed with precise. Beneath the driver seat you get a lockable glove box. The inside of the glove box, map pockets and the glove beneath the seat are LILAC. Yes, Lilac and you will never get used to it. I don't undertsand why they did that. The dials light up a subtle white. The parking sensors are very helpful and the turning radius of the car is quite good for its size. All captain seats have arm rests including the driver. There is a box above the RVM that houses your sunglass. The dash is well laid out and controls are easy to grab. Quite a lot of useful cubby holes are provided. The front head rests are huge and block the view for the middle row passengers. The third row bench can seat three adults comfortably and has more leg room than the Innova. There is a manual override swith to open the fuel lid apart from the electric switch upfront. Boot space is minimal and can be used to its maximum capacity only if you fold the bench forward losing seats for three pasengers. You cannot remove the seats like those of the Scorpio. Gaps on the dash are not even, the levers on the door are horrible and I am sure my nephew is going to break it soon. The plastic could have also been better. The fabric on the seats could have also been better, the PVC inserts on the seats also have a not so good feel.
Old 30th July 2009, 18:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Congratulations!

What is pinch windows ? Never actually heard of it. Nice to see a Mahindra dealer experience improving.
Please post your experience with the capabilities of this car.
Can you please post the pictures of this car ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Congrats Beejay,
One of the best MUV for that cost.
I had a TD and it's very easy to drive in city.seems like a small car.
Happy Driving

Power Windows automatically goes down,When there is a collision with some object while closing down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Hope we have more to read soon, with pix.

Pinch window; I think it wont roll up if you have any obstacle blocking it.
Edit: maybe what karthik says too.
Thank you for your wishes, its been more than 5 months now that i have taken delivery of the Xylo. In fact this was the first car in the district. Was a bit lazy to post .
Pictures will be here soon. Guys are right with the anti pinch windows.
Old 30th July 2009, 18:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

congrats beejay. good choice. happy motoring.
Old 30th July 2009, 18:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Handling, Ride and Brakes.

The car is a bit high and at times you feel uncomfortable at corners. You do not know what to do when you see a fast approaching corner. The steering is good to hold and the gear lever has a constant vibration. I am used to holding the lever when I drive and I can feel that the vibration never ceases. The best place for a Xylo to be would be the highway, it can pick up some serious speed. Yet, do not even think of braking at those speeds. The MU returns an average of 13kmpl. The brakes are horrible. To be honest, I feel the Xylo has a more Jeep feel to it with added creature comforts. This sums it all.
The grunt of the CRDe is eveident all throughout.

Last edited by beejay : 30th July 2009 at 19:07. Reason: safety
Old 30th July 2009, 19:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Safety

The Xylo does not make you feel safe in it. Lack of ABS and airbags contribute further. I heard that the MUV is now available with ABS and I am considering to have the same fit, if it is possible. They should have done this at the initial stage. Mahindra always tests their cars on buyers and then roll out more features. People who buy new products from Mahindra eventually become duds.

Leaving that aside, the Xylo met with an accident in the first month. The boot and bumpers were damanged and needed to be replaced. The initial ordeal I faced with the ASSC was bad. I sent a mail to the customer care and I must say I was quite impressed. There is another thread running on the same, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-mahindra.html
Old 30th July 2009, 20:24   #10
BHPian

Congrats on your car beejay, IMHO i dont think ABS can be fit seperately. It is always suggested to buy the car with ABS from the company. I might be wrong.
Old 1st August 2009, 13:12   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As a value-priced MUV, the Xylo is hard to beat. Congratulations! That's an extremely detailed review, one that is sure to help other potential Xylo'ites. We would love to see some pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I waited and was quite disappointed considering the fact that I need to pay more than a lakh and she did not have even some of the basic features standard to the Xylo.
Though I personally think that the Innova is well worth the premium, to each his own. Mahindra has adopted a sorta Korean strategy for the Xylo i.e. lower price, way more features, yet not the outright quality. Hey, it helps to keep the prices of other cars in check!

Quote:
The grunt of the CRDe was the same as the Scorpio.
Indeed. The new Mahindra common-rail diesels are superb. All rounders!

Quote:
After I got back to the ASSC, they gave me a form to fill which included details like, fit and finish, driving comfort, interiors and salesman knowledge. I diligently did the same.
Tell you a story : On one of my recent manufacturer drives, a certain brand had a 1 page questionairre that was to be filled out (right after the drive). I took all of 45 minutes and 3 pages to cover the car in the minutest of details. The senior product engineer commented "Now I know why Team-BHP reviews are so detailed"

Quote:
The fit and finish of the exterior is excellent, the lines are flawless and the gaps even.
Mahindra have come a long way.

Quote:
The car is a bit high and at times you feel uncomfortable at corners.
I'd recommend keeping the Xylo - with its soft suspension & high center of gravity - below a 100 on typical Indian highways. A little above that is okay on ruler-straight expressways, but you should always be prepared for an emergency manouveur.

Drive safe, Beejay.
Old 8th August 2009, 17:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I'd recommend keeping the Xylo - with its soft suspension & high center of gravity - below a 100 on typical Indian highways. A little above that is okay on ruler-straight expressways, but you should always be prepared for an emergency manouveur.

Drive safe, Beejay.
I second this.

Please drive safe and above 100 only on straight highways with excellent visibility. Also am worried after seeing a recent post from sidindica where the xylo met with an accident and toppled over. If we talk to the driver who was driving that, would probably discover that the driver was not really driving 'rashly', but that the car did not really behave as expected when called upon to do so at high speed. Commenting from my recent personal bad experience.

Lucky if the car has ABS. Else if going at 100+ speed, please be prepared to stop by quickly downshifting instead of trusting the brake.

Wishing you many safe drives.
Old 14th October 2009, 09:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Pictures

Pictures of the Xylo. Mobile cam pictures, apologise for the quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Xylo- E6, 2009.-10102009004.jpg  

Mahindra Xylo- E6, 2009.-10102009005.jpg  

Mahindra Xylo- E6, 2009.-10102009006.jpg  

Mahindra Xylo- E6, 2009.-10102009007.jpg  

Mahindra Xylo- E6, 2009.-10102009008.jpg  

Mahindra Xylo- E6, 2009.-10102009009.jpg  

Mahindra Xylo- E6, 2009.-10102009011.jpg  

Last edited by beejay : 14th October 2009 at 10:16.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tell you a story : On one of my recent manufacturer drives, a certain brand had a 1 page questionairre that was to be filled out (right after the drive). I took all of 45 minutes and 3 pages to cover the car in the minutest of details. The senior product engineer commented "Now I know why Team-BHP reviews are so detailed"
GTO, it was mandatory they hand me the questionnaire. Never did they think that I would take such a long time to fill it.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:04   #15
BHPian

Great review there buddy!! Do post some pics of the interiors. I'm also planning to buy an MUV. But i've decided to wait until the launch of Tata Indicruz. But i do have a query for you. There have been many reports of "Grabby Brakes" in the Xylo, until the engine gets fully warmed up. Are there any issues in your Xylo?
Happy Motoring & Enjoy your new Chariot!!!!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks