Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2009, 16:31   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Congratulations pachchu !!!
Its better late than never.
It surely looks gorgeous in blue colour, I am look forward to your driving experience, I took TD of i10, but that dragged itself like an alligator. i20 is much more powerful and capable machine, though its bit heavier as well. More how do you find the steering now ?
So please pour in your riding experience
you sure about this alligator part ? i find it quite nice in the city!
Old 4th September 2009, 22:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu View Post
here's a picture I took from my mobile phone when they were re-installing the rear-door sunfilm.

in this picture, the front door has the sunfilm (RE35), the rear doesn't.
Attachment 185063
You're lucky. In Mumbai we'd have an RPG fired at us by the cops with that kinda film.

Please update us on the fuel efficiency !! Eagerly awaiting.
Old 4th September 2009, 22:35   #63
Team-BHP Support

RE35 is the reflective film not the standard one.

One thing I always wondered. Does that film look equally reflective from the inside.

So when you look out the window do you see your reflection again?

When I saw the sample sheet of that film, both sides were mirror finish and I could never see out clearly without seeing my own reflection.
Old 5th September 2009, 06:25   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
RE35 is the reflective film not the standard one.

One thing I always wondered. Does that film look equally reflective from the inside.

So when you look out the window do you see your reflection again?

When I saw the sample sheet of that film, both sides were mirror finish and I could never see out clearly without seeing my own reflection.
I've not felt any reflection on the inside.

What I have observed with this sunfilm is, the brighter the light outside, the higher the reflection is. If you look at pictures my earlier post you'll notice that. In picture 1, you can see only the reflection because the sun is directly falling on this side. In picture 2, the sun is on the opposite side. Also the apartment building is there on the right side which is cutting the brightness, so you can see the inside of the car on the right side and it is not reflecting as much.

Extending that logic, usually it is not very bright inside the cabin, so I don't expect a reflection on the inside. I'll check it out in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
You're lucky. In Mumbai we'd have an RPG fired at us by the cops with that kinda film.
I was so apprehensive before installing this film. But it doesn't reflect all the time (only when it's exceedingly bright outside) and it doesn't reflect in all the directions either. To take that particular picture, I had to move around a bit to get the maximum reflection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Please update us on the fuel efficiency !! Eagerly awaiting.
My first FE was 7.7kmpl over a 10-Liter test - all city driving with A/C on always - never revved above 3k rpm. Last weekend I've filled up the tank and set the trip meter to 0. So, I'll do a auto-cut-off test every weekend to see how it is.

Quote:
Congratulations pachchu !!!
Its better late than never.
It surely looks gorgeous in blue colour, I am look forward to your driving experience,
Thanks.

Quote:
I took TD of i10, but that dragged itself like an alligator. i20 is much more powerful and capable machine, though its bit heavier as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
In the city, I would expect Santro AT, i10 AT and i20 AT to behave the same. I've been driving the Santro AT for the past 3 years and it's definitely not an alligator. Same with i20 in the brief run so far. Where I would expect the i20 to be different is the highway, where I haven't taken yet.

Quote:
More how do you find the steering now ?
So please pour in your riding experience
Honestly, I am still not completely confident with the steering. I realize now, my discomfort (lack of confidence) is not at the time of turning the steering to turn the car. I don't have a problem with wide turns either. My discomfort is only at the time of straightening back after a sharp turn.

I'll elaborate more after this weekend on various riding experiences.
Old 5th September 2009, 08:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My first FE was 7.7kmpl over a 10-Liter test - all city driving with A/C on always - never revved above 3k rpm. Last weekend I've filled up the tank and set the trip meter to 0. So, I'll do a auto-cut-off test every weekend to see how it is.
Thanks, and keep us updated. I'm watching your figures, after my cancellation of the 1.2 I'm contemplating the A/T.
Old 5th September 2009, 15:02   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Yeah, I am pretty sure about that. I drove the TD car at Motor Plaza (Hyundai company owned Showroom at Mathura road, Delhi). I along with my cousin and a Sales person took the test drive of i10 Automatic.
With AC on it actually struggled to take our load specially while ascending on a flyover, I was really disappointed to found it very underpowered with auto box, even with power mode setting (Auto lever slotted on 2), it was not even close to the competition.
However never found it out of breath with the manual one.
Old 5th September 2009, 15:44   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I am pretty sure about that. I drove the TD car at Motor Plaza (Hyundai company owned Showroom at Mathura road, Delhi). I along with my cousin and a Sales person took the test drive of i10 Automatic.
With AC on it actually struggled to take our load specially while ascending on a flyover, I was really disappointed to found it very underpowered with auto box, even with power mode setting (Auto lever slotted on 2), it was not even close to the competition.
Don't really know what caused that...
I packed in four guys + me from my office and had a quickfire 2-3 km drive that had open stretches, bends and a traffic signal, and the A/c was on . I do not have anything to complain about till now with the car.
And flyovers do not require slotting the auto box into 2, driving in D with a light foot should suffice.
Old 5th September 2009, 16:41   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I find this really wierd. I am just quoting what i posted a week back on another thread.

Quote:
3. A month back and recently we had 7 people (5 adults and 2 kids) and 6 adults in the car. The ease is that when there's a full load in the car you need to downshift and constantly change gears to pull the load. With the automatic, all you need to do is press the accelerator! You don't need to work the gears and that removes all the strain when carrying a full load. Its something you appreciate only when you experience it.
4. Driving in my area Pali Hill has become cumbersome with cars parked all over and mini-traffic jams while ascending. Here again, because of no rollback in the automatic, i dont have to negotiate clutch, gear, brakes at all. Just step off the brakes and accelerate!
5. Strain on the engine when the air conditioner is on is not visible when you use an automatic as you don't have to put in any effort of downshifting if there's load on the engine.
Here's the link to the thread where i posted it:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1452369

I don't agree with you at all when you said you felt it was not powerful. Infact its a hoot to drive while ascending, because you don't have to downshift as in manuals, you just have to accelerate. Its just that you may have felt otherwise as the gear changes are pretty slow in the i10, but after you drive for a couple 100 kms or so, you get the hang of it and can extract the best out of the 1.2L 80bhp 4 speed Auto box.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 5th September 2009 at 16:44.
Old 6th September 2009, 12:41   #69
BHPian

That's pretty strange, I am pretty used to driving at low rpm's and with slight touch on gas pedal the car should go, but with i10 AT, I had to floor the pedal really hard to negotiate the ascend, moreover even the engine felt pretty stressed up and tranny felt as if shifted to 1st or maybe second gear, which I usually do in 4th gear very comfortably in my Swift.

I guess it's (power/feel of power) also very relative thing to discuss, some people even find 800 very peppy (and are pretty much content with it) and others are not even convinced by the power of normal Accord (and go for V6). I was looking for an option which would be just adequate, not underpowered (stressed engine) or even overpowered (low mileage) and may drive the car in its sweet zone.

All said and done I felt it pretty underpowered and stressed, and could not convince myself with the drive. Maybe I need something slightly more powerful and derivable in city and highway, and that's the reason for my interest in i20.
Old 6th September 2009, 14:03   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had to floor the pedal really hard to negotiate the ascend
Hazarding a guess here... did you take the TD in 2nd gear throughout, or did you try driving in D as well?
Old 6th September 2009, 15:47   #71
BHPian

Quote:
That's pretty strange, I am pretty used to driving at low rpm's and with slight touch on gas pedal the car should go, but with i10 AT, I had to floor the pedal really hard to negotiate the ascend, moreover even the engine felt pretty stressed up and tranny felt as if shifted to 1st or maybe second gear, which I usually do in 4th gear very comfortably in my Swift.)
Not surprising to hear.

I think you probably struggled at the shift point. The hyundai AT box at times takes time to shift up if there is only a light touch on the throttle. This is especially so if there is only gentle acceleration near the shift point. Sustained pressure on the throttle builds rpm followed by the upshift. 'Engine strain' is the rpm buildup.
AT users can check it out themselves.

I am sure its the same in 120 AT as well.
Old 6th September 2009, 21:45   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Hazarding a guess here... did you take the TD in 2nd gear throughout, or did you try driving in D as well?
I also suspect you got stuck on 2 instead of D.

Can you give a little bit background about yourself - have you driven an AT before, know what's the difference between L,1,2,D and what is overdrive?

I also second anilkalvani's comments. Seasoned AT drivers figure out how to drive an AT like a manual. They know how to force the engine to shift gears (up or down) and all that without a clutch and while staying in D all along.

I have driven Santro AT (1.1L engine) for 3 years, sat in colleagues i10 AT (1.2L engine) and currently own a i20 AT (1.4L engine) - the transmission is identical in all three - and all three cars meet your requirement -
Quote:
just adequate, not underpowered (stressed engine) or even overpowered (low mileage)
If you are little bit more power hungry, then perhaps i20AT is for you (if it fits your budget, that is). The power delivered in any particular gear in i20 is more than Santro for sure. Even though I haven't pushed beyond 3K RPM until now (still being in the run-in period), I can feel the rush.
Old 6th September 2009, 22:18   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seasoned AT drivers figure out how to drive an AT like a manual. They know how to force the engine to shift gears (up or down) and all that without a clutch and while staying in D all along.
True...
Slight inputs from the throttle are generally enough to tell the car what you want it to do.

P.S. Drove a Cielo AT for 6 years.
Old 6th September 2009, 22:24   #74
BHPian

2nd batch of pics attached

front seats distance adjusted to my comfort (5'7").

driver seat height set to highest position to my wife's comfort. she's 5'3".

Hyundai i20 1.4L Petrol AT Initial Ownership Report-i20_front_seats2.jpg

more than sufficient legroom given our front-seat settings.

Hyundai i20 1.4L Petrol AT Initial Ownership Report-i20_back_seats2.jpg

pull this lever under the seat to unlock the bottom of the seat

Hyundai i20 1.4L Petrol AT Initial Ownership Report-i20_back_folding.jpg

with the bottom of the seat unlocked, pull it forward completely down

Hyundai i20 1.4L Petrol AT Initial Ownership Report-i20_back_folding1.jpg

with the bottom of the seat completely down, now the back of the seat folds completely flat. remove the headrest before you do that. the back won't fold flat with the headrest on.

Hyundai i20 1.4L Petrol AT Initial Ownership Report-i20_back_folding2.jpg

dash and automatic gear-shift lever.

Hyundai i20 1.4L Petrol AT Initial Ownership Report-i20_dash.jpg

USB +aux port. didn't work with my iPod Touch, so using only memory stick.

Hyundai i20 1.4L Petrol AT Initial Ownership Report-i20_usb.jpg

Hyundai i20 1.4L Petrol AT Initial Ownership Report-i20_back_seats3.jpg

different modes on display (P=park, D=drive, R=reverse, N=neutral)

Hyundai i20 1.4L Petrol AT Initial Ownership Report-i20_auto_drives.jpg

useful dead-pedal in place of clutch.

Hyundai i20 1.4L Petrol AT Initial Ownership Report-i20_dead_pedal_crop.jpg
pachchu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2009, 23:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
True...
Slight inputs from the throttle are generally enough to tell the car what you want it to do.

P.S. Drove a Cielo AT for 6 years.
absolutely second this opinion. I am also Driving A/T cars from 2007.

And a not-so-well-kept secret -I am VERY bad at driving stick shift cars, always stall at start from 1st gear!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks