Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 06:19   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
cool ASTA (O). you get all 4 disc brakes. side and curtain airbags, sunroof!! not to mention the great and powerful engine!! this is perfect car!! totally VFM!!
And let us not forget that the '09 i20 Asta-O did better in the Euroncap side impact pole test than the '09 Q5.

If only the i20 offered optional stability control and a rollover sensor, it would be almost perfect.
Old 16th September 2009, 10:50   #77
BHPian

Congrats on you new purchase, JayD. It's indeed a stunner.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:06   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
And let us not forget that the '09 i20 Asta-O did better in the Euroncap side impact pole test than the '09 Q5.

If only the i20 offered optional stability control and a rollover sensor, it would be almost perfect.
there's a cost associated with every feature.

if they bundled every feature, it crosses the verna CRDI pricing. already it is too close to verna pricing for people to consider verna instead of i20 CRDI Asta (o). so I feel they added as much as they can (1.4 CRDI, FATC, 6 airbags, alloys, abs, ICE, steering controls, fully electric OVRMs, flat folding seats, tilt/pull steering wheel, height adjustment for driver seats) while still keeping the price below verna.
Old 16th September 2009, 14:51   #79
Senior - BHPian

1500 Kms UPDATE!

Thanks for the appreciation guys, will upload more pix soon. Meanwhile, here are some updates. Took the car to trivandrum and back, the roads were terrible, but the suspension did its job well, and the ride was very comfy. Even though the traffic was bad, driving the roadrunner was fun, whenever a gap comes up, just floor the pedal, and once the turbo comes on, we overtake 3-4 cars at a stretch instead of the intended one car! The turbo kick is grin inducing to say the least! Got an FE of approx 18kmpl on the trip, which is pretty good, considering the roads, and the traffic.

The car has covered 1500+ Kms now, and has gone for the first service today. One issue i noted was that there was a small sound coming from the rear, which i think could be the rear disc caliper. This has been mentioned and will be looked into.

Hope to get this running in thing completed fast and start to floor the car!
Old 16th September 2009, 15:12   #80
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post

what running in? its past 1500kms. are you planning to make it a mileage car with all this gentle stuff? floor it now, or be slow forever

Old 16th September 2009, 15:19   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What running in ??

If you want more FE start flooring it.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:50   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
what running in? its past 1500kms. are you planning to make it a mileage car with all this gentle stuff? floor it now, or be slow forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

What running in ??

If you want more FE start flooring it.
Don't worry guys, i learnt my lesson last time! The only run in procedure i'm following is that i dont take it above 3k rpm.(wanted to do it only after the first oil change.) No restrictions on speeds etc!

Should i stick with the 3k limit for some more time or is it time to take it to the limits?
Old 16th September 2009, 15:51   #83
Senior - BHPian

Like Linea,if you increases the speed,you'll get a good FE.
Try to floor it and post the nice FE.
Old 16th September 2009, 16:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Should i stick with the 3k limit for some more time or is it time to take it to the limits?
Occasionally going beyond 3k in 2nd/3rd gear would be fine. Don't start redlining in every gear.
Bottom line is - Drive normally & don't think too much about RPM. While overtaking forget about rpm and downshift if required.
Old 16th September 2009, 16:18   #85
BHPian

Quote:
The turbo kick is grin inducing to say the least!
I know what this means

Congrats JayD! Again! Looking forward for the date with the Roadrunner. 1500 should be adequate, you can start pushing it now.... may be not the way Ripper does, but take it to the limit ocassionally and don't be afraid of the 3K mark anymore.
Old 16th September 2009, 17:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Like Linea,if you increases the speed,you'll get a good FE.
Try to floor it and post the nice FE.

Ypu've gotta love these modern diesels, they let you have your cake and eat it too! Just wanted to change the oil before i started flooring it. The first oil will have some metal sediments etc na?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Occasionally going beyond 3k in 2nd/3rd gear would be fine. Don't start redlining in every gear.
Bottom line is - Drive normally & don't think too much about RPM. While overtaking forget about rpm and downshift if required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I know what this means

Congrats JayD! Again! Looking forward for the date with the Roadrunner. 1500 should be adequate, you can start pushing it now.... may be not the way Ripper does, but take it to the limit ocassionally and don't be afraid of the 3K mark anymore.
Done! So, bye bye running in!

@ sriram, the roadrunner may be visiting coimby soon!
Old 16th September 2009, 18:22   #87
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
. 1500 should be adequate, you can start pushing it now.... may be not the way Ripper does, but take it to the limit ocassionally and don't be afraid of the 3K mark anymore.
Hellooooo!
whats that supposed to mean? My forum nick gives everyone the wrong impression. most diehard petrol heads ask me why I upshift so early.
I look after the engine very well. I rarely ever go above 120, most of my upshifts are at 3k. maybe 10-20 times per day, car sees upshifts at 4000rpm. redline only once or twice, that too for less than 2 secs.

Like kpgetz said- stop bothering about rpm and drive like the situation demands.
its anyways pointless to rev diesels endlessly because the power and torque drop off. the hyundai engines however, seem different and behave like petrols, acceleration just keeps getting stronger and stronger higher up the rev range.

So the 3k limit is really underutilizing this engine's potential. engines that are worked harder, sensibly ofcourse, perform better later on in their life.

1500 is more than enough. it does not mean flooring immediately after 1501 on the odo, it means going higher up the rev range every day. by the end of 1 week, you probably be exploring the red marked areas of the tacho.

the hyundai diesels are very robust. they dont need babying
Point is, later on, when you need the high end performance during a tight overtaking maneuver on the highway, your car shouldnt force you to upshift and waste time because it was not broken in properly. that could be lethal.

Old 16th September 2009, 18:38   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ypu've gotta love these modern diesels, they let you have your cake and eat it too! Just wanted to change the oil before i started flooring it. The first oil will have some metal sediments etc na?
Might be,but Service people adviced me to go with Service book.
For me,Engine Oil is changed during second service - 1year/15000kms.
So i am waiting for that day comes
Old 17th September 2009, 10:27   #89
Senior - BHPian

Got the car back from the service yesterday. The rattling issue was traced to a cable which had come off its channel.

The overall experience was okay. The cleaning job was not upto the mark, so made them do it again.

Contrary to what i thought, there is no oil change in the first service. Should i change it anyways?
Old 17th September 2009, 11:21   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Wait till you hit the expressways. 120kmph in 5th gear, floor the throttle and watch the speeds climb
All this while still maintaining a running cost of 2.5 Rs / Km is amazing!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks