Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 11:41   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
Wait till you hit the expressways. 120kmph in 5th gear, floor the throttle and watch the speeds climb
All this while still maintaining a running cost of 2.5 Rs / Km is amazing!!!
Harrie,

100 kph comes up at around 2k rpm in 5th gear and its ready to take off from there.
Old 17th September 2009, 14:06   #92
BHPian

Hi JayD,

Congrats on your new i20 (I know it is bit late). I wish I had little more patience I could have gone for i20 Diesel.

By now you must have completed 2000 kms, I have one query, Does steering is as light as when it was bought? I don't know somehow I feel bit heavy now compared to when I got the car. I am not sure it may be just psychological, I mentioned it to service guy at the time of 1st service also at the time of free check-up camp but both of them said it's fine.

Anuj
Old 17th September 2009, 14:27   #93
BHPian

Jay-: I would say- go by the book for oil changes. The service intervals they mention are already low, so its rest assured that the right suggestions are being made. 2nd service will be the right time to change oil.

KPZEN-: you are right. Modern diesels lets us have the cake , eat it and then lick our fingers too. They are fun to drive, refined and frugal. What more do you want? I remember my father mounting a Matador diesel engine on his previously Petrol Ambassador just for F.E. I think diesel costed Rs 5/- per litre at that time. (1988)
Old 17th September 2009, 17:10   #94
BHPian

Congrats !! JayD.

You have made a very nice, bold and gracious choice. Yes, people will always say that i20 crdi is a over-priced car. I wont agree, reasons already mentioned in this thread by someone.
I too test drove it, was very impressed in all respects almost booked it. Specially, the power of turbo, space inside, equipments, sporty looks, and superb brake system.
But, I couldn't overcome my long passion for SUVs, so finally, I brought a new 2.2 VTT Safari just last month.
And someone rightly mentioned, driving these modern refined and powerful turbos is really a fun, to even someone as new to them as I am ! (Shifting from Maruti-800 to Safari !!).

Wonderful buy yours man. Enjoy and drive safely.
Cheers
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:32   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Congrats !! JayD.

You have made a very nice, bold and gracious choice. Yes, people will always say that i20 crdi is a over-priced car. I wont agree, reasons already mentioned in this thread by someone.
I too test drove it, was very impressed in all respects almost booked it. Specially, the power of turbo, space inside, equipments, sporty looks, and superb brake system.
But, I couldn't overcome my long passion for SUVs, so finally, I brought a new 2.2 VTT Safari just last month.
And someone rightly mentioned, driving these modern refined and powerful turbos is really a fun, to even someone as new to them as I am ! (Shifting from Maruti-800 to Safari !!).

Wonderful buy yours man. Enjoy and drive safely.
Cheers
Yep, LDL, safety was of primary concern to me, and no matter what people say about the price, i feel, the extra i paid is well worth the price of the lives of the people traveling in it!

P.S: congrats on yous safari, it really suits your handle!

The roadrunner went to wagamon yesterday, a distance of approx 250 kms in all. The roads were brilliant and the roadrunner finally had a chance to stretch his legs! We finally got a chance to enjoy the sunroof too!

the best part of the trip was the FE that the car managed to give, I got a shade over 22kmpl on the trip, which i feel is simply amazing, considering a fair amount of climbing was also involved!

The crdi gurus were right, the more you floor the car, the better it moves and the lesser it drinks! LOL!

Last edited by Dippy : 15th March 2010 at 13:53. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 23rd September 2009, 00:25   #96
BHPian

+1 for Ripper.
There is no point in just revving the nuts off the turbo diesels.
I have observed this on the Verna Crdi and the Swift D. Just maintain the car at the rpm at which the turbo just starts to spool (you would have already got that “ “ Spot)
For the Swift it’s 80-90kmph in fifth. A tap on the pedal these turbos can smoke those petrol guzzling creatures in a jiffy.
Welcome, welcome to the unjust world of turbo diesels.

Its BETTER to change in the first service ( with oil filter) + then every 5000 Km. Guess its SAE 15W40 for the i20 ( Go for Mobil Delvac 15W40 API CI-4).
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:24   #97
Senior - BHPian

Hey nice mileage there Jay. Enjoy your car to the fullest !!
Old 27th September 2009, 12:14   #98
BHPian

22kmpl My goodness!! Jay D, you made it on the FE figures for this car and lighted a ray of hope to me. I was wondering how on this i20 CRDi someone can get a better mileage. Mine it is still drinking constantly at the rate of 1 litre per just 12-13 kms in the city. I never tested it on the highway though all across my 2800kms.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:16   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotovamsee View Post
22kmpl My goodness!! Jay D, you made it on the FE figures for this car and lighted a ray of hope to me. I was wondering how on this i20 CRDi someone can get a better mileage. Mine it is still drinking constantly at the rate of 1 litre per just 12-13 kms in the city. I never tested it on the highway though all across my 2800kms.

Even i got 13-14 initially. This was mainly because i was driving it like a petrol. Thanks to the CDRi gurus here,i understood that there is no point in simply flooring the car. Wait for the boost to build up and then floor it. Makes a lot of difference. I think you are flooring the car in the lag zone, which will just make it drink more, and no actual movement takes place. Try Changing your style, i'm sure your FE will improve too.
Old 29th September 2009, 20:01   #100
BHPian

Awesome FE there JayD.It must have been a great drive.With the sunroof it gets even better.How did roadrunner manage the winding roads?Didyou push her on the corners??

Last edited by jmddis : 29th September 2009 at 20:02.
Old 29th September 2009, 20:31   #101
Senior - BHPian

Nice FE there Jay. I think I need to test drive the i20 CRDi asap.
Old 29th September 2009, 22:56   #102

Those figures are just so admirable.....
Well i have to yet get my first service done,but even i was able to squeeze
F.E of about 19.6 km/lit from mine on highway(punjab....bad roads) and around 17 in the city with a/c.
I am really proud of my buy!
Old 5th October 2009, 12:17   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Even i got 13-14 initially. This was mainly because i was driving it like a petrol. Thanks to the CDRi gurus here,i understood that there is no point in simply flooring the car. Wait for the boost to build up and then floor it. Makes a lot of difference. I think you are flooring the car in the lag zone, which will just make it drink more, and no actual movement takes place. Try Changing your style, i'm sure your FE will improve too.
Heyy Jay, thanks for that hint dude..

Can you get into details of that again for me and other CRDi owners here.

In all gears we find these lag zones below 1.9k rpm for our i20. Which one is recommended for a better FE.

1> Wait for Turbo kick untill rpm touches 1.9k without pressing accelerator or clutch further down.

2> Pulling RPM up by revving constantly while releasing clutch completely. This really takes long enough to leave yourself back on the road.

3> Instead of waiting for turbo kick shift down to lower gear and get going.

4> Pushing clutch lill down with constant revving gives a up jerk in the RPM to overcome this lag zone quickly. This involves some grunting by the car.

Though I do all this depending on the situation I prefer 3 & 2 as suggested by BHPians here.

I also heard there wont be much fluctuation in diesel FE by various driving styles. Whatever tell us what is best recommended mode for better FE. Also add up any tips and hints you know here that leads to better FE.
Old 6th October 2009, 02:48   #104
Senior - BHPian

Baron ji, congratulations on the new car! I'm sure you're having fun with the plush interiors and gadgets...pity we cheap buggers didn't get them on our cars!

And after 1200 what running in - shunning in??? Give it the boot like she'll never have it again and have fun!
Old 6th October 2009, 11:16   #105
BHPian

Hi Jay,
Could you do a small check - needs loads of patience though . Try driving your car at very low rpm. (Note: This is for milage checking) Upshift at 1500revs and downshift at 1000revs. Could you do this and post your observations on the milage front and also the NVH front. When i do this in my getzi i get 17-18kmpl . So if you could check on this and post it would be useful. I can vouch for the fact that you could get around 22kmpl on the i20 Crdi.

@all - is the i20 a gen 2 crdi?

Shyam

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks