Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2009, 13:42   #91
BANNED

Premjit

My suggestion is to go for extended warranty whichever option is suitable.

What are the extended warranty offers available?
Old 29th September 2009, 23:36   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Premjit

My suggestion is to go for extended warranty whichever option is suitable.

What are the extended warranty offers available?
The dealer has offered a 2 year extended warranty for arnd Rs 8.5k. I think it worth it if not for anything but the peace of mind. Am yet to go thru the fine print.

There's also a Total Maintenance plan at 3 yrs for Rs 35k. Under this, they'll take of regular maintenance like oil changes etc. Am not sure, so am looking at the details for both.
Old 30th September 2009, 12:31   #93
BHPian

@ premjit - i was offered 2 yrs extended warranty (total 4 yrs) FOC by my dealer. i would recommend everyone to go for it.

reg maintenance plan, i decided against it. Based on past owners (read vnabhi) experience on maintenance costs, the plan was turning out to be expensive.
Old 30th September 2009, 12:44   #94
Senior - BHPian

TMP or not TMP?

Premjit, great car and great colour.

When I had gone car hunting, I was quite impressed by the Fiesta Sport myself. But my parents hated the interiors (they said it looked all black and depressing). And the same Ganges ford had quoted me an insane 16pct interest rate! Otherwise, who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by premjit View Post
The dealer has offered a 2 year extended warranty for arnd Rs 8.5k. I think it worth it if not for anything but the peace of mind. Am yet to go thru the fine print.

There's also a Total Maintenance plan at 3 yrs for Rs 35k. Under this, they'll take of regular maintenance like oil changes etc. Am not sure, so am looking at the details for both.
The former plan (2 yr ext warranty) is nothing but your car guaranteed against labour costs and mechanical failures. Modern cars are so well built that usually mechanical parts never fail. So you'll only save labour costs of 3-4 services. Do the math, and I think you'll see the 8.5K is not worth it.

On the other hand, dig deeper into the total maintainence plan. Over an extended period, there are certain disposables that you'll have to spend for. Engine oil, Oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, etc etc. Every time you go for a service (esp after the first year) you're guaranteed to cough up atleast 4-6K on disposables alone. IMHO, if the TMP covers these (plus labour costs and mech) then it makes a lot of sense to go for the TMP.
Old 30th September 2009, 13:30   #95
BHPian

@ predatorwheelz,

no offence, but i disagree on both counts - warranty + TMP

On warranty. your statement that 'usually mechanical parts never fail' is being too over optimistic. i would pray that this be true, but if something were to go wrong, the cost of repair / replacement could be quite significant.

On TMP, 3yrs @ 35K is very expensive. Lets do some math. The Fiesta requires servicing after every 6 months (presuming one doesnt cross the kms running before that). That makes it 6 service in 3 yrs. First 2 service being free, it leaves you with 4 paid services. Even if we go ahead with your estimate of Rs. 4-6K per service (which are on the higher side - refer to Vnabhi's long term ownership thread for details of costs of servicing), it works out to Rs. 24K, which is still Rs. 12K less than the TMP.
Old 30th September 2009, 13:51   #96
BHPian

@Ashish,

Am not sure how extended warranty works but as per my understanding it just covers wear & tear of mechanical parts and you does not get any benefit of it in regular service (free + paid).

No doubt you got best deal of 4 year warranty as no one till date got such an offer yet!
Old 30th September 2009, 14:57   #97
BHPian

Quote:

I have also gone for the 2 yr extended warranty on my SX4 for 8K.As you said,just for the peace of mind.

Fiesta S is awesome to drive.In the stretches where I did around 80 on the Swift,it was around 120 on the Fiesta.Realised only when I looked at the speedo
Old 30th September 2009, 15:29   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishgandhi_00 View Post
On warranty. your statement that 'usually mechanical parts never fail' is being too over optimistic. i would pray that this be true, but if something were to go wrong, the cost of repair / replacement could be quite significant.
Ashish, we can agree on a prudence basis that mechanical parts will go wrong. But do remember that the TMP also gives all the benefits of an extended warranties (i.e. mechanical warranty as well) plus cost of disposables. So he can't go wrong by taking the TMP.

Quote:
On TMP, 3yrs @ 35K is very expensive. Lets do some math. The Fiesta requires servicing after every 6 months (presuming one doesnt cross the kms running before that). That makes it 6 service in 3 yrs. First 2 service being free, it leaves you with 4 paid services. Even if we go ahead with your estimate of Rs. 4-6K per service (which are on the higher side - refer to Vnabhi's long term ownership thread for details of costs of servicing), it works out to Rs. 24K, which is still Rs. 12K less than the TMP.
2 points. First, I dont know about the Fiesta, but most modern cars do require change of disposables from the second service itself. Are you saying that the manufacturer doesn't recommend change of air and fuel filters in 2nd service (which is at the end of 1 year)? That too in a country with climatic conditions and quality of fuel like India?

Secondly, as the car grows old, service charges are bound to go up. I dont think my estimate of 4-6K per service is really pessimistic.

Quote:
@ predatorwheelz,

no offence,
None taken. Its a discussion forum after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar7 View Post
@Ashish,

Am not sure how extended warranty works but as per my understanding it just covers wear & tear of mechanical parts and you does not get any benefit of it in regular service (free + paid).
Extended warranty also covers labour costs of subsequent service.
Old 30th September 2009, 15:57   #99
BHPian

@premjit, congrats on your purchase and car in blue looks awesome.

Me too looking for a similar upgrade..may I know the final price that you paid for your car..
Old 30th September 2009, 18:48   #100
BHPian

@ predatorwheelz,

If my memory serves me right, the Fiesta manual contains a detailed schedule of what parts need to replaced during which service. will try to get that and prepare some kind of cost estimate for benefit of all. Lets see where this leads to.

Secondly, the 2 yrs TMP costs Rs. 15K, while 3 yrs is for Rs. 35K - this completely beats me...
Old 30th September 2009, 23:56   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
@premjit, congrats on your purchase and car in blue looks awesome.

Me too looking for a similar upgrade..may I know the final price that you paid for your car..
@Zen: Thanks so much buddy. I've bought this car after considering the Cedia which was another great drivers car. And m loving every moment of it. I paid Rs 709000 OTR for the car. Am yet to take the 3rd and 4th yr extended warranty, which would then take the car cost to 7.18.
Old 1st October 2009, 00:01   #102
BHPian

Quote:
@ predatorwheelz,

If my memory serves me right, the Fiesta manual contains a detailed schedule of what parts need to replaced during which service. will try to get that and prepare some kind of cost estimate for benefit of all. Lets see where this leads to.

Secondly, the 2 yrs TMP costs Rs. 15K, while 3 yrs is for Rs. 35K - this completely beats me...
@ashish: IMHO that the TMP seems to be a bit of an overkill. Logically speaking, what I'd spend on over the next three years is service, consumables like oils, filters etc. Worst case, I'd need to get a clutch plate changed or a brake pad changed, which would be covered under TMP but maybe not under warranty (am yet to go thru the fine print). Also, they're not offering any 2 year TMP. I will check back and confirm.
Old 1st October 2009, 00:59   #103
Team-BHP Support

Premjit, what you are talking of are the regular scenarios. However one buys extended warranty as an insurance for the future. If the EW is rightly priced and the terms are not insanely one-sided (this you will need to check in the EW book that they give with the EW) it can be a very judicious investment towards future security against unexpected failures.

Let me give you 2 examples. My friend bought EW with his car. It was to give him a total of 18+18 months of warranty. The EW was for the last 18 months of the 3 year period. At the end of 24th month he complained about some pick-up related issues. The service center checked the problem and diagnosed it to be a FP calibration problem. The cost was Rs.15000. However the EW covered it for him. In one single instance he recovered the EW cost a few times over than what he paid for it initially.

In another case one of our fellow BHPians had a Baleno. It was a superb vehicle and also maintained very well. And yet it suffered an unexpected problem which needed the whole engine to be taken down. It was a freak manufacturing defect that ended up damaging the crankshaft and the pump. However he got lucky as he was covered by the extended warranty.

In both cases as you can see the EW saved the day. I think you need to calculate how much is ok for you to pay as insurance against such happenings. And if it looks ok to you it is better to opt for the EW.

TMP though is another thing altogether. You need to reduce the cost of EW and then calculate whether the rest is going above what you will normally pay in regular maintenance. If TMP works out higher give it a skip.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st October 2009 at 01:00.
Old 1st October 2009, 01:39   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Extended warranty also covers labour costs of subsequent service.
I must admit that I have not read the fine print of the EW on my car. However, I'm pretty sure that I've never received any labour charge benefit for it. I'm also as sure, that had it been part of EW, my service advisor would have given me the benefit.

It is true that manufacturing defects rarely crop up after 2 years of running - and even if something does go wrong, it's very difficult to identify the root cause as a manufacturing defect. Butttt .. if one is unlucky, then it might end up costing quite a bit.

I got EW FOC when I bought my car. I chose it over accessories. I felt it's easier for dealers to strike a deal with EW than tangible accessories of the same amount.

Quote:
Regn: Rs 43200
Not sure if I had mentioned this earlier. But the registration amount seemed a tad high.

Honda had come down with the new cars at our office. Saw both Civic and City price lists. The registration amount for both were 36.xx K.

Maybe you could check some more registration costs of competitor cars (call up dealers) and try and adjust this apparently higher charge against the EW/TMP

Last edited by shuvc : 1st October 2009 at 01:46.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:50   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I must admit that I have not read the fine print of the EW on my car. However, I'm pretty sure that I've never received any labour charge benefit for it. I'm also as sure, that had it been part of EW, my service advisor would have given me the benefit.
I also have same opinion and when I asked this to local ford dealer he also said same thing that EW does not cover labour charge and does not have any link with servicing (free or paid). Its only applicable if any of the engine/mechanical part goes faulty & this does not cover brakes & tyres etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks