Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 20:16   #46
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed feedback,

I TDd her a few days back and my initial impression on the drive/exteriors-interiors fit&finish/equipment levels/NHV levels (i20 Asta) was "Woh" .
A car built in India which is at par (or a notch above) with cars of similar class overseas and that too at decent price band made me truly appreciate HMILs efforts.

We took a rather long TD and I was amazed at the refinement and power delivery. If slotted in right gears, she never felt sluggish.

I would have taken the plunge if the car was priced a bit lower, since you can actually get a fiesta at similar prices..

All in all, a superb choice.
Old 9th November 2009, 21:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

@ Techno : Never had a problem with my Accent's AC for 9 years.

@ Techno + Blackasta : I'm still 21 so I can afford to pull this off...lol. Rules in my car include passenger seat belt, no smoking + drinking, no eating, and now no make-up. Anyone who disagrees can use public transport People have learned to listen !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
I would have taken the plunge if the car was priced a bit lower, since you can actually get a fiesta at similar prices..

All in all, a superb choice.
Thank you. Free advice? Don't be swayed by the sedans only because of the boot, if you're impressed with the i20. There's nothing like it. Beats the Fiesta hollow on equipment, but conversely, the Ford thrashes it much harder when it comes to driving pleasure. Decide your priorities

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 9th November 2009 at 21:17.
Old 9th November 2009, 21:21   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post

(i) Horn
- Please suggest brands, and what I sound keep in mind regarding wiring / warranty.
(ii) Headlamps - Completely illiterate & oblivious. No fancy HID's and xenons though. Please suggest.
(ii) Seat Covers - No art leather / suede. Only washable fabric. Recommend places in Mumbai?
(iii) Maybe some car care products? Simple dash cleaning / polish and tyre shine, maybe.
1. If you like the skoda type horn go for Bosch symphony horn or a higher quality one like Hella trumpet horn. Bosch is around Rs.500 and Hella Rs.800.

2. Lights, the best upgrade I have found with good life and decent illumination is the Osram Silverstar 55/60W. No need for any wiring change as same wattage but illumination is fantastic compared to el-cheapo OE ones.
They cost Rs.200/bulb.

3. I never put seat covers just regular vacuuming and occasional 3M interior cleaning.

4. Dashboard polish I hate since they leave that shine. I just use mild soap water for dash. You can get a nice tyre polish and get some Waxpol Carnauba wax for the body.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton Viddy. The horn I actually like the most is the Toyota OEM horn, I suppose they haven't changed it on the Altis (I have the '05 Corolla) so lets see if I can find one of those. No issues with warranty na?

I'll check out the rest. How often do you vacuum? DIY or send it somewhere? I don't WANT to put seat covers anyway, it's just the dirt.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

^^^^^^
Surviving without seat covers might be possible in Bangalore, but not in Kolkata :(
Here the high SPM content forces me to keep windows rolled up almost all the time. Even then my seat covers find a way to get dirty! I have put beige/brown PU ones for easy cleaning.
Dunno the situation in Bombay.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:21   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a ton Viddy. The horn I actually like the most is the Toyota OEM horn, I suppose they haven't changed it on the Altis (I have the '05 Corolla) so lets see if I can find one of those. No issues with warranty na?

I'll check out the rest. How often do you vacuum? DIY or send it somewhere? I don't WANT to put seat covers anyway, it's just the dirt.
Are you sure the i20 comes with a single horn only? If it's a dual horn arrangement no warranty issues if you change to skoda type or any other dual horn.

If the i20 does have a single horn only, then you need a relay. That may void warranty.

I vacuum once every month or so. I have a cordless car vacuum cleaner. Takes not more than 15minutes for full carpet and all seats.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Are you sure the i20 comes with a single horn only? If it's a dual horn arrangement no warranty issues if you change to skoda type or any other dual horn.

If the i20 does have a single horn only, then you need a relay. That may void warranty.
Single horn for sure. And the relay bit, damn

Quote:
I vacuum once every month or so. I have a cordless car vacuum cleaner. Takes not more than 15minutes for full carpet and all seats.
Sweet. I'll look out for one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Dunno the situation in Bombay.
Bombay is one big dustbin.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 9th November 2009 at 22:31.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:54   #53
BHPian

Thanks for Your Detailed ownership report and 1200km in 11days that is hell lot of trips in your new i20

How many free services does Hyundai provide for i20?
Old 10th November 2009, 08:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safin View Post
Thanks for Your Detailed ownership report and 1200km in 11days that is hell lot of trips in your new i20
As of now it's actually at 1600 km, with two days of not touching it at all. Gonna start excercising some restraint now.

Quote:
How many free services does Hyundai provide for i20?
Three.
Old 10th November 2009, 14:00   #55
BHPian

Future Plans : HELP !

(i) Horn - Please suggest brands, and what I sound keep in mind regarding wiring / warranty.
(ii) Headlamps - Completely illiterate & oblivious. No fancy HID's and xenons though. Please suggest.
(ii) Seat Covers - No art leather / suede. Only washable fabric. Recommend places in Mumbai?
(iii) Maybe some car care products? Simple dash cleaning / polish and tyre shine, maybe.[/quote]

Hi,

Congratulations for the "i". I completely agree with you on negatives.

By now you have got all suggestions, I would like to add to that. Don't go for HID, I have fitted (Philips) and it is completely useless. Then I noticed BMW and Merc, wherein they have HID with Projector headlamps and also they have twin set up therefore it is impressive in those car but we do not have projector head lamps and HID with out that set up is completely waste of money.

Anuj
Old 11th November 2009, 01:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

One more negative I forgot to mention. BIG one.

And this one's on the Jazz, ANHC and CR-V as well, I think. Who the hell came up with this effortlessly-unscrewable-antenna concept? You might as well put up a sign saying "Come flick my antenna when you're here for my monograms". My antenna is permanently removed and sitting in my home, except during long drives.
Old 11th November 2009, 13:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Err where exactly is this antenna? Are you getting too finicky? The emblem stealing issue is majorly in Mumbai only.
Old 11th November 2009, 13:10   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One more negative I forgot to mention. BIG one.

And this one's on the Jazz, ANHC and CR-V as well, I think. Who the hell came up with this effortlessly-unscrewable-antenna concept? You might as well put up a sign saying "Come flick my antenna when you're here for my monograms". My antenna is permanently removed and sitting in my home, except during long drives.
Why don't you just put one drop of super glue on one side of the thread and screw it in?

EDIT: @Technocrat, see the pic below for the antenna position:
Attached Thumbnails
Meet the "i" : Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-picture-1.jpg  

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 11th November 2009 at 13:21. Reason: See edit
Old 11th November 2009, 15:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Err where exactly is this antenna? Are you getting too finicky?
Mounted on the roof towards the rear, as shown in the pic by Tejas. That antenna costs Rs. 1k to replace. It's effortless to just unscrew and detach. I remember reading one other BHP'ian writing in his report that his antenna got flicked in a basement, and he had to buy another one from Hyundai during the first service.

I think it's a very practical consideration I'm putting up here. And I doubt, then, from an owner's perspective, that I'm being finicky about this. And it's downright annoying to attach and detach the antenna everytime I go somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Why don't you just put one drop of super glue on one side of the thread and screw it in?
Don't want people attempting to yank it out like they do with the rest of the stuff i.e. emblems, antenna, mirrors etc.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

Like I said earlier thankfully so far The yanking phenomenon isnt too wide spread for the company to make any changes So this is more of a city issue than car issue

@Tejas- Thanks Doc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks