Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 00:47   #46
BHPian

No Issues... I was lookign for an all round FE on the Saffire since the QJD is more known for its FE!

17 KMPL is still ok for city driving!
Old 4th December 2009, 16:25   #47
BHPian

Quote:
The Dash with the key inserted and the steering lock opened
Attachment 233765
Tata has goofed up here. With the key in the acc position the music system
display should come on and along with it the lights on the knobs and controls
of the system also should come on which they are not.
TATA.... that needs to be corrected.

Last edited by rkguru : 4th December 2009 at 16:36.
Old 4th December 2009, 16:33   #48
BHPian

The music system in ACC key position should look like this.

Old 4th December 2009, 18:04   #49
BHPian

@rkguru: the image has not attached right. It seems to be linked to your D: drive.
Old 5th December 2009, 22:00   #50
BHPian

Post first service, Post a 200+ km drive, With Pics (Finally)

I gave my car for its first service on Thursday. Concorde motors decided to keep it for a couple of days and I got it back on Friday night at around 9pm. Thanks to my leasing company, I didn't have to run behind Tata. The poor driver was made to wait there from 3pm till he finally got possession of the car at 8pm.

you can find the huge list of problems that I had in the previous threads. Nothing major, but just a large number of niggling problems mainly due to poor quality checks. The guys at Tata seem to have had fun and have gone and replaced, or tried to replace, every single part with which I had an issue. I actually ended up with almost a 50% new car on Friday

There was a squeaking noise in the suspension, so they replaced it. Spring and dampers and even the Torsion bar or Roll bar or maybe both. I am too lazy to go and retrieve the service sheet from the car. They replaced the headlight bulbs. The clutch was hard, so they replaced it. The driver especially loved the new clutch. The front water spray was spraying too close to the edges, so now they made it spray outside, so much so that when I tested it I got a good dose of it through the driver window, and into my face. But they addressed all the problems, except for two of them.

The left A/C vent is still damaged and the wiper still doesn't work in intermediate mode. The reason for not fixing this, seems to be Parts Not Available, as per the service sheet. I told you they had fun with the car. I am sure they didn't bother fixing any single fault. No wonder they have run out of spares. But all the suspension changes seems to have done the trick, as the car drove over speed breakers like knife through butter, smoooooth. The clutch feels better now, but they have changed the play and I again have to get readjusted to it now.

I took the car today for its first long drive to Mysore road. I have posted the trip report on my blog here -> A long drive, a near miss, and a car possessed Mind over Matter. I would like it if you take the time to read the really loooong post there.

I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-p1050171.jpg

Meanwhile, here are some incidents and experiences with the car, for those who don’t have the patience to go through the log.

We had a little incident with the car when we started off. Near the Jayadeva flyover, we were overtaking a bus from the left when he suddenly swerved sharply to his right, into the front of the car. I honked like crazy and braked hard. I was right up next to the divider and stopped just a few cms next to it. Thankfully the bus too stopped a few inches short of the left side of my car. My car still stays red and doesn't have any blue coating on it. I was very happy with the way the car stopped. I was almost at 40 and the car stopped in a perfect straight line without swerving or even the brakes locking up. Very impressed with the braking of my Pista.

We drove to Chennapatna on Mysore road and back and we took the NICE road while going. The moment I reached NICE road, the instrumentation cluster malfunctioned. The fuel guage showed there was no fuel and the ICD lamp was on. I had just got it serviced, I was wondering what the hell they messed up on the car. Since there was no option as we were on the NICE road and there is absolutely no U-turn on the road to head back, we continued the drive. I decided to get it checked up when I got back to Bangalore and decided to drive slowly and safely until then, observing the car’s behaviour carefully. I was wonder if this is the typical Tata quality check that everyone complains about. I had to live with it now.

When we reached Mysore road, we stopped enroute for breakfast. After the breakfast when I started the car, the ICD light was off and the fuel guage showed the fuel reading correctly. Even more shocking was that the wiper, which was left in intermediate mode (you recall that the intermediate mode was not working) suddenly turned on and started its wiping. The car has some self healing mechanism I think, it healed the ICD error and then healed the intermediate wiper setting which was not fixed during service stating a PNA. Wonders will never cease. My Pista is alive.

The drive was more or less uneventful otherwise and we had our first long outing since we owned a car (for 2.5 years now). I was always reluctant to take my Maruti 800 on long drives. The farthest we had gone on that was to the BIAL and back.

If there is any comment that would compliment the car aptly, it came when I was at almost 100-110 kmph on the NICE road and my wife looked at the speedo (remember it is in the passenger territory now) and asked me with a surprised look – “Are we really at 100?” The car is that brilliant at speeds. And finally, believe me when I say, I love the central placement of the speedo. It is extremely distraction free and gives a very very good view of the road ahead than if it was placed below the steering. You really appreciate it on the highways and not so much in bumper to bumper daily traffic.

Finally, I drove almost 220kms today and my fuel tank still shows above the halfway mark. I put in about 30 litres of fuel yesterday. With some really approximate mathematics (considering I used up 15 liters for 220kms), I should think I am getting easily over 15kmpl on the car. The actual figures are bound to be much more especially on the highways.

Pics of the car finally. Unfortunately I was shooting into the sun and I didn't have time for a photo-op on the way back.

I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-p1050166.jpg

I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-p1050170.jpg

I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-p1050172.jpg
Old 6th December 2009, 17:59   #51
BHPian

Oh and one big problem of the beige interiors - The service guys have managed to dirty it up real bad. There are grease stains on the dashboard and on the fabric on door, near the handles.

Do the other non-Tata car owners with beige interiors have similar problems? i.e i10, zen estilo etc. Is there an easy way to clean up the stains, both on the plastics and on the fabrics?
Old 7th December 2009, 15:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkguru View Post

Attached Thumbnails
I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-ms.jpg  

Old 7th December 2009, 15:22   #53
BHPian

Old 8th December 2009, 16:32   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
  • The headlight is not properly aligned and I don't find any difference turning the headlight leveller knob. Will adjusting the leveller not show any difference in the throw of the headlight? Also the right side high beam bulb seems to have fused and I have to get this checked soon.
First of all when you say not aligned do you mean that the height of the beams from the two lamps are going skywards? If so the leveller should help. However for that you need to park the car some 5-8 feet away from the wall and switch on the headlights. If the beam looks high use the leveller. You will see a difference now. However it can only do that much. Essentially the leveller is only meant for balancing out the extra load at the rear which may cause the beam to go a little high. If you think that it is not solving the issue you should take it to the TASS and ask them to adjust the beam throw correctly. When adjusted properly in an empty car (no payload) the high beam should go straight ahead in-line with the bonnet and no higher.
Hi

You got the headlight bulbs replaced and functional, right.
To check if they are properly focused,

The headlight leveler will be functional when the car key is in 'ON' position.
Usually 0 position of leveler means normal (standard) beam setting.
In this position if the headlights are properly aimed, (applies for headlights of all vehicles) The low beam kink (cut-off) should fall at about 30m distance. The high beam throw ( the dense focus portion of beam) should start off from about 50m and beyond. But, not straight ahead in-line with the bonnet. This way it will not fall anywhere on the road.
Also check if the beam travels straight forward from the assembly and not inward or outward.

The leveler can then be used to lower the beam, when under more load it tends to fall further away.

Tell us about your headlights. Vista is having two on each side. The inner one I believe is for high beam (using H1 or H7 bulbs).
The outer one for low beam (using H7 bulbs). Am i right, or is the outer one for both Hi and low beams using H4 bulbs.
How are they operated?
Old 10th December 2009, 13:39   #55
BHPian

@rkguru: What is ACC position? Other than LOCK, I have OFF, ON and IGN positions only.

Yup, the high beam is on the outside, using the H1 bulb and the low beam is on the inside using the H7 bulb.

Previously the leveller itself was not working, so no question of adjustments. Now after the service they have rectified it. The left and right beams are still not aligned straight. The left beam is a little higher than the right one, but at least they are not as bad as before.
Old 10th December 2009, 15:38   #56
BHPian

The ACC is the accessories position in which only the accessories to the car works, like music system. The unlocked position ( I guess OFF in your case) is the acc position. ON is when the ECU and other other engine starting system etc all are ready to operate.

The difference in the beam heights that you see are probably because of the leveler adjustment motors are not properly adjusted.
To check if the leveler is functioning, put the keys in ON position. Switch on the light and move the leveler from 0 to 1. The beams (both) should move down and down further for other numbers progressively. They come back upward as you move from 4 to 0.
However, I have observed that due to moisture in the leveling motors these do malfunction, eg one of the beam may not move up or down or will move for some number say 2-1 but may not work from 1-2 and so forth.
The level can be aligned for a given position (usually 0) by some means on the headlamp assembly.

Last edited by rkguru : 10th December 2009 at 15:52.
Old 10th December 2009, 20:03   #57
BHPian

Generally Left side (co passenger side) headlight is little above than driver side headlight. This is by design. You should see L shape throw on the road.
Old 10th December 2009, 20:52   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Generally Left side (co passenger side) headlight is little above than driver side headlight. This is by design. You should see L shape throw on the road.
Huh??? Is that so? How come?
I would prefer it the other way around, since most of the time I am on the right lane and I hate those iron rods and stones piled up against the dividers. They are outright scary and I need something illuminating it up.
Old 11th December 2009, 11:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Huh??? Is that so? How come?
I would prefer it the other way around, since most of the time I am on the right lane and I hate those iron rods and stones piled up against the dividers. They are outright scary and I need something illuminating it up.
It is by design in every car. This difference is hardly noticeable. It is to avoid direct light on oncoming vehicles.
Old 19th December 2009, 20:05   #60
BHPian

I own Cavern Grey Quadrajet Aura, bought 6 months back. Recently, Prerana Motors, Bangalore( I bought my car from them) had arranged free check up camp. Since it included car wash also ( and I don't wash my car for weeks together sometimes) I went there.. It was a great experience( Courteous reception, Free checkup, clean car wash, free food!!, take-home gift..)

Then, they mentioned about going in for Annual Maintenance Contract for my car. I want to know from you guys whether it is worth going for AMC? Thank you very much in adavance..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks