Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 20:25   #61
BHPian

@aniyahr: on a Tata car, I would definitely suggest that you go for the extended warranty. Seeing how defective some of the parts are, having a maintenance that replaces the parts on warranty is the best option.

I don't know about AMC, what does it cover? Does it include free replacement of parts and warranty?
Old 20th December 2009, 13:51   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
@aniyahr: on a Tata car, I would definitely suggest that you go for the extended warranty. Seeing how defective some of the parts are, having a maintenance that replaces the parts on warranty is the best option.

I don't know about AMC, what does it cover? Does it include free replacement of parts and warranty?

@herculeskp - The AMC seems to be something like this offered by Wasan Motors in Maharashtra. They offer a kind of extended warranty for a fixed price upfront. The related link is here WASAN
Old 20th December 2009, 16:08   #63
BHPian

levelling device ?

Could you post pic of the headlamp levelling device ? I cannot find it on the LE model , now wondering if its hidden behind the leather work they did for LE model.

Reg AMC, Tata have Gold and Platinum AMC (its from TATA/Company)
Gold costs 7700/- and you get everything you usually pay for during service covered upto 20k/2 yrs kms. Now reading the long term ownership threads I think it might be slightly higher for a perfectly normal car but one never knows.
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:30   #64
BHPian

@ownerofazkaban: The levelling device on the India Vista is on the headlamp on/off stalk. It is a circular ring that you can rotate to level the headlamps. I don't suppose a switch on the stalk can be hidden by the leather work. On my 800 it was on the dashboard although it was a dummy knob and the 800 never had any leveling motors.
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:41   #65
BHPian

More Pics of my Car

Sometime in the beginning of December, before I went off to my surgery I washed/cleaned my car thoroughly and took a few pics. Here are some of them, in some abstract angles. Hope you like them.

No ownership update of course since I am not allowed to drive the car for about a month. Meanwhile there has been some very bad damage to the car and I would have to end up getting all the left side doors and panels replaced. :( :(

I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-p1050205.jpg
Doesn't that look very very similar to a Porsche?

I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-p1050207.jpg

I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-p1050209.jpg
Goodyear GT3s

I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-p1050210.jpg

I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-p1050211.jpg
Of course, it's a TATA
Old 6th January 2010, 18:26   #66
BHPian

[quote=DieselAddikt;1600441]
Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
One of my friends had to undergo multiple surgeries in his eye because of the ORVM glass shattering and going right into his eyes during such an incident at moderate speeds.
Yes, Very true. Always keep the windows rolled up! I don't know if this is practicle; How if a transparent sunfilm is sticked on to the mirror? This will surely prevent the glass pieces splintering towards the occupants.
Old 6th June 2010, 09:16   #67
BHPian

5000km breached

Just clocked my 5000 kms yesterday after a few long(intra-city) drives over the weekend.So I guess its time for my first mid-term owner experience of the Indica Vista Safire Petrol. I doubt it will last another 5000kms more if my plans go on well, so I decided to write up about the car now.

Interestingly, a few people(read strangers) have approached me while I was parked on the roads, enquiring about the car. A lot others(friends) have contacted me for advice about the car to influence their buying decision. To keep things short, if you are looking for VFM and Space, then Indica Vista is your best bet. If VFM is not your concern, then look elsewhere.

However, the car has been serving me really well over the past 6 months that I have owned it. It was lying unused for about a month due to a broken leg of mine, but other than that, I have driven it almost daily during the remaining 5 months. Regular drives on weekdays have been to the tune of 5-6kms a day, as my office is that close. On weekends, I drive around 50kms and I have also made around 10 trip to and from the BIA - which works to around 90-100kms per trip. And then there was one 'long' trip of about 200kms and a few odd drives within city, or to its extremities.

I am sure mileage would be high on the agenda of most of the owners, and buyers. During the first couple of months, I used to get a mileage of 14kmpl. After the first service and until now, I am getting only around 11-12kmpl. In fact the last test was on Power petrol and driving with a very light foot (albeit, I had to ferry 5 ppl a few times and the A/C was definitely ON most of the time), but I still managed only around 12 kmpl. So, I am going back to driving my style - keeping the needle of the RPM meter in its upper quarter.

Whereas, I have not had any major problems with the car, there have of course been a whole lot of niggling issues and each time the driver comes over to pick up the car for service, I find it absurd to dictate the 8-10 points that I want taken care of. Refinement and reliability is definitely not one of Tata's strong point, and I think they definitely need a new vendor for electrical parts. Among the issues that I have faced are suspension noise - go very very slow, or fast, over speed-breakers, and there is no problem, but go slowly over a hump and the front suspension squeaks like a 15years old Indicab. The rear suspension is not adequately weighted(if at all that is possible) and going over humps at about 10-15kmph throws the rear in the air and back down with a bang.

Service at Concorde Motors is far from satisfactory and each time they end up messing up one part or the other and dirtying the beige interiors a whole lot. After the first service, my power window switch lights were busted, after fitting the autocop at 2 months, they hadn't fit the steering on properly. The second service was done at KHT motors, and they did a fine job delivering the car in 1 day as opposed to Concorde who took 2 days for the first service. And KHT didn't even mess with my Radio tuning - Concorde seems to make a habit of resetting all tuned channels. Of course, Tata never seems to have spare parts on them, and I had to wait 1 month for a new A/C vent, 2 months for the Wiper combi-stalk, and I am still waiting for power window switch lights.

Driving at above 2000rpm and the car definitely doesn't feel underpowered. At manufacturer recommended speeds for economy, you end up shifting around the 1500rpm band and then the car struggles to pull for a few seconds, till the RPM goes up a bit. Whereas, shift between the 2000-2500 RPM mark, and the pickup is very smooth and very strong. I have observed that the gearshifts are the smoothest at this range. Of course the burst comes at around 3000RPM, but then you don't really need to go there unless you are overtaking. Also, I love riding at 2000-2500RPM as the engine has that awesome hum/whine and the road noise seeps in and mixes beautifully. At higher RPMs engine becomes a little harsh and at lower RPMs you can't hear the engine noise.

Space is just great and I have had 3 people sitting very comfortably at the back. In fact whenever 5 of us need to go in a single car, we usually prefer my car over friends' Santros and i10s. I only wish the boot were a little bigger as this is not sufficient for Airport trips and a large suitcase will never fit in. Long drives of course are simply fabulous and the car is very stable and smooth on high ways. The steering is a little heavy - the way I like it - but weaving in and out of slow moving traffic on ORR is quite a pain in the wrists.

Overall, I am quite pleased with the car. Like I said, I was looking for VFM and comfort for 5 - including driver comfort and the Vista meets those requirements very well. I am think of moving to an AT very soon as I have got fed up of Bangalore traffic. So, I am making plans of disposing off this car and hence there might not be another long-term review from me on Pista the Vista.
Old 6th June 2010, 20:58   #68
BHPian

@herculesksp - Great to know your Pista continues to delight you on highways with its great ride and space.

Yes niggles are part of Tata cars and handling too seems to suffer due to its build and suspension setup. Your comments seem to corroborate the general opinion in this board that the Tata A.S.S folks succeed in spoiling the ownership experience of Tata's newer cars like Vista, Manza and others; since they are mostly used to servicing the Indica DLEs and other LCVs.

I find this thread to be one of the most level-headed and sensible ownership threads. Its full of technical and usage details that a person looking at an unbiased opinion on TATA petrol car need not go looking elsewhere.

Hope you get a good deal when you trade in the car. It will be interesting to know the re-sale value of a petrol vista, especially when it's so new.

Last edited by WindRide : 6th June 2010 at 21:15.
Old 6th June 2010, 22:48   #69
BHPian

Thanks @windride, I'm making the best out of what I have, and frankly I had anticipated a few minor problems while deciding to go for a Tata car. So no rude surprises and the car is otherwise serving my needs very well.
So what happened to your car purchase plans? I remember you had enquired about the Vista Safire on a PM quite some time back.
Old 27th June 2010, 22:14   #70
BHPian

5500km Update and Recommendation (NOT) for future buyers

I just wanted to try out a Tata car. Whatever I have heard about it, other than the sheer interior space, has been totally negative. Of course, car owners do tend to lash out at every car that they don't own and I had just two friends who owned Tata cars and were reasonably happy with their cars. One had an old Indica Xeta and the other has a Vista. Both were happy about the VFM, of course.

So then I have owned my Tata Vista for about 10 months now and I have just breached 5500kms today. I decided to give a recommendation for the car and approach it with a cool head. Does the tag of more car per car - in terms of space and VFM, really outweigh the shortcomings in the car? For a while I used to think it did.

But now, after two services, and reporting the problem during each of those two services, there are two very interesting problems that exist, and that were never rectified. Other issues with the car notwithstanding - such as squeaky suspension, panel gaps, sheet metal gaps, faulty switches, horrendous beyond the point of imaginable After Sales and Service; these two issues I would classify as potentially dangerous.

1) Faulty 1st Gear: There are two problems associated with first gear.
a) One is that the car picks-up / jerks forward violently during a start from stand-still or rolling slowly. This is a problem that I suspected to be a fault with the clutch plates at first and I reported it both the time. This happens like in 1/100 starts. I know for sure it is not a driver issue, as I am very very conscious of this problem and I release the clutch very very slowly without stepping on the accelerator. In a bumper to bumper traffic situation, this can easily rear end a vehicle in front.
b) Second is that the car doesn't pick up at all in first gear. I think this problem occurs mostly when I am turning. I have faced this issue a few times when I was turning out of a parking area, and many times when I take a U-turn. Once I even faced it when I was taking a right turn. I have the feeling that when I turn the steering all the way around (I think it has always been towards the right), all the power of the engine is lost (probably faultily transferred to the hydraulic steering). It is very dangerous when there is oncoming traffic and you have to take the turn quickly. The car doesn't move even when I step on the gas. The engine doesn't rev at all in such cases.

Once, there was also this issue when I was climbing the up ramp in the MLCP of Wockhardt (Bannerghatta road) in 2nd gear, and the car just started accelerating up the ramp. I was in second gear, and this time (interestingly) taking a full left turn up the ramp. I suspect there to be a problem with the ECU, or the hydraulic power steering system. Maybe the accelerator cable too has a problem.

2) Faulty brakes: This happens around 1/500 times, especially when I am in the speed range of 10-20 kmph. The brakes go all soft and doesn't bite. Happens 3/4 times when I am reversing. Had a couple of close shaves because of this. It looks like the vacuum of the brakes are insufficient. Problem with the pump(or whatever creates the vacuum) maybe?

So keeping these faults in mind, I would not recommend anyone who is considering an Indica Vista to go and buy it. In terms of numbers, there are definitely a lot of good points, but then the sheer seriousness of the few problems that are there are pushing me to give a recommendation against the Tata car.

I guess I am now going to stay away from a Tata car. And this time it is not due to someone else's recommendation, but from what I myself have experienced.
Old 28th June 2010, 06:43   #71
BHPian

Sorry about your troubles buddy. It is bad enough that these kind of problems occur in vista but it is pathetic that the A.S.S folks could not fix these problems.

Have you tried more than one service center?
Old 28th June 2010, 08:49   #72
BHPian

@gshanky: Yup, 1st service at Concorde (which was totally useless) and second at KHT (service was good, but these problems still remain)
Old 28th June 2010, 10:37   #73
BHPian

hercules - sorry missed replying to your query. purchase is on hold temporarily since gandhis are busy elsewhere

Sorry to hear your troubles with Vista. That too well within a year and still around 5000 kms. Have you tried writing to the tata folks directly? There are quite a few email ids floating around these threads of important folks who will get in touch with you. You can put the service head of concorde and KHT in the loop as well. Just a thought.
Old 29th June 2010, 17:23   #74
BHPian

really sad to know that your pista is giving you troubles
I think the A** guys are the ones to blame, you try to take up this point with the higher ups in Tata,
I am surprised to know that when complained about the safety issues the A** guys have not responded, this gives a very bad impression on the potential buyers of this car
hope some one at tata is listening
Old 16th August 2010, 15:52   #75
Senior - BHPian

Owning Vista - Close to 10,000 KMs running

Hi All

Luckily, I haven't had such major problems with my Vista, at least, till date. Its close to 10k mark and I am impressed with the car. I bought my Vista on 14th July 2009.

Biggest positives: Space. Oh man! The space it offers is so huge, I sometimes carry 4 persons on the rear seat. Of course on a short trip, but they dont complain of cramps or anything of sort.

I love to drive this car on highways. Due to its heavy profile, it really sits on the road rock-solid. Just that the steering is a little heavy, manouvering at high speeds could sometimes be painful.

Mind you, I have driven Maruti 800, i10, Chevy Beat, Swift VDi, Honda City, Skoda Laura and Mahindra Xylo on the highways. I found Vista as stable as the bigger cars, Skoda and City. However, manouvering was best with Swift due to its light-weight steering. Also, Swift is much better on up slopes, due to its pick-up in the lower gears, which Vista lacks terribly.

On the after sales & service part, yes TATA does let you down. First service was terrible terrible terrible. The last service, 3rd service, from Pandit Automobiles was MIND-BLOWING. Not only did they deliver the car before time, the cleaning job was as good as the new car from showroom. Pandit Auto took 450 Rs from me for interior cleaning and oh Man!!! What a fantastic job they did. Its sparkling from inside like anything. I planning to get this done once in a quarter now. Its worth, really worth.

One design fault I would say is the wheels. My Vista Safire Aura comes with 165/13 tyres. Due to this, the gap between the body of the car and the wheels is toooooooo much. It looks ugly from certain angles. I am planning to upgrade to 185/14 tyres to resolve this issue, upto certain extent.

Overall, I am completely satisfied with Vista. Yes, petrol Vista is underpowered. However, I dont need all those extra BHPs to drive through City traffic. My all time favourite hatch is Swift. But Swift is horrible when it comes to interior space. This was the only factor I did not buy a Swift then.

Frankly, I am not sure If I will keep this car for 5 years (standard time for ownership of any car, mostly). I will upgrade to a sedan by 2012, 99%.

However, i think this car is one of the best choice to be your first car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks