Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 15:51   #946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Some more tidbits of info here Ford Fiesta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My delivery update: Went to do PDI yday 16th - 22 KM on the ODO - paid the balance amount - car was supposed to go for regn today 17th but due to morning heavy rain, it will be done tommorow - 18th. Got the insurance policy from New India as well. Finalised and paid advance for the accessories. Have put on hold Sunfilm/Paint Protection etc because of bad weather conditions (I was told sunfilm will take 7-10 days to dry in normal weather - in rains, it may take upto 2 weeks..same for paint protection, which anyway I am not very keen to do..please advise)

Need some more help: Since the veh will be regd tomm 18th Fri, dealer is saying number plate will be avlbl only by Monday (since RTO will issue the number on Sat). However, if I want, I can take the delivery tomm abd they will come and fix the regd number plate on Monday. Is it possible to drive without number plate for 2-3 days???
I definetely want to take the delivery tomm since it is supposed to be a good day - further cannot risk the vehicle lying at dealer's place for 2-3 extra days.
+
Yes, you can take delivery tomorrow itself.
But get a copy of insurance cover note (ask the dealer to take a copy of this before the original goes to RTO tomorrow) and Tax paid reciept.
And you have to put a sticker (front and back) showing 'REGISTERED" (normally dealers will do this).
Probably the number will be allotted on the same day.?

So, go ahead and enjoy with the delivery formalities.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:02   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to drive without number plate for 2-3 days??
Congratulations !!!
I had taken the delivery without the number plates, it was not even allotted a number from the RTO until next day. So the dealer staff came home and fixed the plates next night. As nairji rightly pointed, you can drive around with the road tax receipt, temp registration number and the insurance cover note copy. Your fiesta will have an official identity only with the number plates stuck on it, so until then its just a casual drive.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:25   #948
BHPian

Nairji/Shaju..thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+
Yes, you can take delivery tomorrow itself.
But get a copy of insurance cover note
Nairji, I have got the original insurance policy/certificate itself issued..will a cover note be reqd..my insurance agent told me it is not required if I have the policy certificate itself.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:31   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nairji/Shaju..thanks.

Nairji, I have got the original insurance policy/certificate itself issued..will a cover note be reqd..my insurance agent told me it is not required if I have the policy certificate itself.
+
If you have got original policy then no need of cover note (normally insurance companies issue cover note for registration purpose and then send the original policy later - IN your case, since you have the original
then no worry at all).

Go and take delivery of the car and enjoy - advance congratulations
Old 17th December 2009, 16:41   #950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got this during google search...not sure how authoritative is this!

Car Articles India | Top 7 Safest Cars in India

Ford Fiesta gets a ranking of 5 for adult safety, 4 for child safety and 3 for pedestrian safety.
This article is pure nonsense.
They have simply ASSUMED that the Indian fiesta and the european fiesta are the same, even though the model tested has more safety features, is a hatch, and even the design of the vehicle (as in the structure) is completely different.
The version of the fiesta sold in India has been completely redesigned, ground up, specially for the Indian market and is not sold in Europe.
The fiesta tested is the new European version.
The only similarities between these cars would be the name.

The reason you don't see other cars like the DeZire, Verna, etc. mentioned are because they are either not sold in Europe, or are sold under different names.
I am very surprised they haven't mentioned anything about the germans brands like BMW, Audi, etc.
I am even more surprised that such a site hasn't verified its information, and has blatantly posted incorrect facts.
The Fiesta shouldn't be included there as the car is not the same as the one sold in India,
and they should have mentioned about the Jazz and i20, both of which have gotten 5 stars in the crash tests as well

I am sorry to be pointing this out, but this is what would mis-lead potential buyers if they were to refer to the posts following the above one, as it would be giving the fiesta a 'Safe' tag, which may or may not apply (there are no records of the Indian version being crash tested).
I would request the mods to see if they could delete those posts, as I felt it is a sign of fanboy-ism, which I do not appreciate, and am sure many others would not either. The purpose of this thread is to help new buyers as well as current owners, and such posts would not present a fair argument to prospective buyers.

I hope you all understand what I mean.
Please don't take it offensively, as we own a fiesta as well, which I love to bits! However, credit is due where deserved and not otherwise.

Thanks

P.S: I am posting some links below, which will show us some points where the article is incorrect:
- Honda Accord - This is the Accord sold in Europe:
http://www.zcars.com.au/images/2009-...s-package1.jpg
In India we have the American Accord, not the European

- This is the Fiesta that was tested.
http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp...pe_version.jpg
It is the version Ford is planning on launching in India in 2011 as a sedan, positioned above the current fiesta.

-
Quote:
Though the all-new Honda City has still not ranked by Euro NCAP, the car is considered to have an excellent safety standards in all aspects. It is loaded with a pack of high-end car safety features to ensure a safe journey not only for the passengers but also for others sharing the road.
This is a quote from the article.
Seems more like an ad for Honda than anything else. PURE NONSENSE!

Last edited by lamborghini : 17th December 2009 at 16:48.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:51   #951
Senior - BHPian

imo, this article which is posted only today in this forum is not going to give much advantage as we have already more number of (75+) fiesta owners in TBHP and all those have bought the car without reading this article. I think, many new buyers are reading the opinions and reviews given by the existing member fiestans and on that basis they considering whether to go for fiesta or not?
Old 17th December 2009, 17:26   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
This article is pure nonsense.
I am sorry to be pointing this out, but this is what would mis-lead potential buyers if they were to refer to the posts following the above one, as it would be giving the fiesta a 'Safe' tag, which may or may not apply (there are no records of the Indian version being crash tested).
I would request the mods to see if they could delete those posts, as I felt it is a sign of fanboy-ism, which I do not appreciate, and am sure many others would not either. The purpose of this thread is to help new buyers as well as current owners, and such posts would not present a fair argument to prospective buyers.

I hope you all understand what I mean.
Please don't take it offensively, as we own a fiesta as well, which I love to bits! However, credit is due where deserved and not otherwise.

Thanks

P.S: I am posting some links below, which will show us some points where the article is incorrect:
- Honda Accord - This is the Accord sold in Europe:
http://www.zcars.com.au/images/2009-...s-package1.jpg
In India we have the American Accord, not the European

- This is the Fiesta that was tested.
http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp...pe_version.jpg
It is the version Ford is planning on launching in India in 2011 as a sedan, positioned above the current fiesta.

-
This is a quote from the article.
Seems more like an ad for Honda than anything else. PURE NONSENSE!
Hi lamborghini,

Request you to read the entire sequence leading up to the post in question, before accusing of fanboy-ism..On the contrary, raking up this issue, if any at all, will only help clarify doubts, IMHO.

Please note that earlier to this post, I have put up a question regarding the ncap rating for Fiesta (actually after reading somewhere that Jazz is the safest car with rating of 5)..since I am purchasing Fiesta, wanted to know about Fiesta rating.

Also, please note that before you, myself have given the note that the authenticity is doubtfull.

I seriously assume that any new buyers will not read a single post and decide. Further, my post taken in conjunction with yours, further strengthens the fact the users should do more research before buying...what if a new user reads the article only and not come to TBHP at all, since any goole search of +Ford +Fiesta +India +safety +rating will throw the article link with TBHP nowhere in picture..now at least any prospective user will get to read both and decide for themselves.

No offence taken. In fact I spend almost 3 hrs yday searching for the Fiesta India rating and posted a Wiki link as well, if you care to read the last 2 pages. Further, after going thru Ford India's website. Have sent a mail to them yday asking for the ncap rating..yet to receive a reply.

And by no means giving Fiesta a 'safe' tag leads to misleading potential buyers. On that basis, all product manfucaturer's claims in their ads/brochures should be banned.

Anyway, since the intentions are not to be a salesman for Fiesta but to have clarifications on its safety and other aspects.

BTW, your fiesta link is "Access Denied"

Rest, am leaving upto the Mods.

I revisited the previous 2 pages regarding the safety topic...could not make out from any subsequent posts/replies which can make one believe that some deliberate misleading is being done. Come to think of it...even the proud Fiesta owners are taking this with pinch of salt (? with all the posts)

Further, Gilead has already posted the link to the euroncap link as well as his comments regarding side air-bags as well for anyone to cross-check. So what's the fuss all about?

Here is the email sent to Ford.

Nairji, apologies for spamming this thread like this.

Just googled "india fiesta euro safety rating"..guess what..my initial post and lambhorgini rebuttal on the same, is right up there in the results;-}

More power to users..err..prospective buyers?
Attached Thumbnails
All Fiesta Owners - You are here-fordemail.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd December 2009 at 20:30.
Old 17th December 2009, 18:32   #953
Senior - BHPian

Lambo and Sanjay, dont bother about the safety related posts or links here, because none of us rely on some online reviews or ratings when it comes to owning a car spending over 7 laks. We have lot of other reviews which is purely on the indian fiesta that itself will highlight its potential. Fiesta titled as "the best driver's car" is exactly based on what we drive around on indian roads.

Safety features that are present in a Merc or BMW are top of the line which come for a higher price, so we cant even compare them to the lower segments. Majority look at an 'overall package' for a reasonable price, thats what our Fiesta is.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:28   #954
Senior - BHPian

I have my colleague who is an ex-Ford employee and he was the Assembly Line Manager for the Ikon. Not sure, if it was the 1.3 or the 1.6.

He has told me that the Chennai plant has an internal crash test facility and told me that the safety standards are inherited from its original international platforms and validated here.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:59   #955
Senior - BHPian

Lamborghini, thanks for barging in and accusing us all of being fanboys. lol Maybe we all look like sleazy salesmen to you. I can assure you we are not. Care to post any proof that the Indian Fiesta platform has nothing in common with the European Fiesta platform with specific emphasis on the safety aspects? Thanks.
Old 17th December 2009, 21:18   #956
Senior - BHPian

Our Indian Ford Fiesta is exported to South Africa and sold there as Ford Ikon (link Ford - Ikon Home)
You can find plenty of online links since 2007 about Ford's plan to export Fiesta from Chennai plant. Although this point slipped my mind earlier, thanks to Jackson for reminding me. So our dear Fiestians here, if any of you are travelling to SA, be prepared to call the same car as Ikon !
Old 17th December 2009, 21:34   #957
BHPian

What follows is strictly my personal opinion..

Safety is a very relative term..even the highest safety rankings does not gaurantee 100% safety..excellent post by Steeroid here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post111643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I FEEL very safe in the Safari, but how much of that feeling translates into actual safety on the road is not known. The Safari SHOULD have been crash-tested since it sells in Europe and Australia where they cant sell without revealing safety ratings. It does come with very strong side impact bars (which weigh a ton), anti-sub seats, collapsible steering etc but then its a 10 lakh car that doesnt come with ABS (neither does the Skoda at 2 lakhs more).

HOWEVER, I think this arguement is pointless for ONE reason - as long as we have roads that arent built to any safety standards (unmarked humps, unexpected dips, blind curves on national highways, no proper drainage or lighting, etc) or drivers who are totally indisciplined and totally inconsiderate it doesnt matter what car you drive - you're still in danger.

Safety on our roads is not the sole responsibility of the car manufacturers - let the government do its bit by enforcing some rules, starting with the number of headlamps you are supposed to have on a vehicle, auto-dippers, WORKING tail lamps, NO airhorns etc and also by penalising boorish behaviour on the roads. We have quite a few dual-carriage highways, but whats the point - with the kind of A*****ES we have on our roads even 10 lane highways wont serve any purpose. People drive as they please, some doing 20 kmph on the fast lane, others overtaking through the left, slow-moving trucks that refuse to move from the fast lane, bikers who drive on the middle of any lane they please and weave in between, autorickshaws that try to overtake buses on the highway, autorickshaws that do an about turn right in front of you, pig-headed wanna-be racers who accelerate just as you're about to pass them, cyclists who cut across the highway, scooterists who push their vehicle between the medians in a bid to short-cut their routes, Scorpio drivers who drive up to everyones rear windscreen to flash their headlamps into your rearview, buses that cut across from the fast lane to the slow lane to stop and unload passengers in the middle of that lane, Ashok Leylands with "Volvo" painted on their backsides and take it seriously, and LCVs with 4 headlamps and 2 foglamps on....

You really think ABS, TCS, roll-cages and s**t like that can protect you on the lunatic asylum that our roads resemble????????
Truer words were never spoken!

For me, if the vehicle is equipped with Airbags/Seatbelt/ABS etc, it gives you a greater chance of being safe compared to another vehicle, which does not have all these... provided all other conditions remain the same (driver/road condition/speed/a zillion other variables)

The reason why I would go for a vehicle with maximum safety equipments will be primarily that I should not repent later that even if I could afford it, I tried to cut corners. If I cannot afford it, seat belts are enough..I mean I have been driving a vehicle without all these for the past 7 yrs since then I could not afford it..now I can. After all, what is a few thousand bucks, compared to dear life, if one could afford it.

To assume that a prospective buyer will get influenced by a random article on the net or a random post on TBHP is basically insulting the intelligence of the buyer. Does it also mean that if a car is not tested by euroncap, it is unsafe? Nothing against Nano, but it has got 4-star rating I believe - does that mean it is more safe than a 8L car with airbags/abs and what not? Does it mean a ISO9001 certified company is better than a non-certified one? Believe me, my proprietorship company has better checks & balances than couple of such so-called certified companies I had to interact with!

Funny thing is, before this post which I put here, we already have booked/taken delivery.

Actually, I was going thru the "accidents in india" thread yday where I saw an Ikon split into two - right in the middle. Which made me inquisitive enough to search for the same regarding my new vehicle. Not that I would reverse the decision, but just to have some peace of mind..that's it and nothing more. I do not think just becos of these safety ratings I will drive carelessly, if at all, any more than I do.

Anyway, I think, this has been a healthy debate..yes I agree the article in question has serious legitimacy issues..but exactly that is the point..to fact-check the claims made in the article.

Let's move on.

I am excited about my delivery tomm. I promise I will drive safe, not only for myself but also, who are outside.

PS: I have refrained from specifically taking the name of make/model of my new vehicle, lest people start accusing me of being a fanboy

DRIVE SAFE.
Old 17th December 2009, 21:35   #958
Senior - BHPian

Folks
Let us not forget that our Fiesta is not as advanced as the hatchback in Europe. Or for that matter, even the i-20, which got 5 star rating in Europe---and advertised with a sticker on every i-20 sold in India, does not have features like DTE, though the European counterpart does have it.
This apart, the 5 star rating for the i-20 seems to have been conferred on the 6-airbag high-end version, and not on the other two lower versions, though Hyundai puts that sticker on every version of the model sold in India!!
Old 17th December 2009, 21:44   #959

Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
my local car accessory dealer got a shipment of boston Si 503, its 5.25 inch speakers and output of 280W..what say guys!!
yes...there is also a full range of speakers available with Boston...
Old 17th December 2009, 21:44   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks
Let us not forget that our Fiesta is not as advanced as the hatchback in Europe. Or for that matter, even the i-20, which got 5 star rating in Europe---and advertised with a sticker on every i-20 sold in India, does not have features like DTE, though the European counterpart does have it.
This apart, the 5 star rating for the i-20 seems to have been conferred on the 6-airbag high-end version, and not on the other two lower versions, though Hyundai puts that sticker on every version of the model sold in India!!
Kudos for pointing out!

My new year resolutions:
1. Never drive above 80.
2. Do not believe the HYPE, particularly, these ncap bs.
3. Put more faith in your driving/anticipation skills than mfrs tall claims.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks