Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 09:41   #91
Senior - BHPian

[quote=sanjayc;1631486]Actually this was the first thing which I tested upon visiting the showroom..push back the ORVM really hard with a sudden movement..was surprised to see it fold backwards smoothly.

The Lancer's ORVM folded inwards.

I also saw a silver 1.6S at the same place yesterday. First time I am seeing a silver and it's only the 4th 1.6S I have ever seen. It looked really good in silver as well.
Old 14th December 2009, 09:58   #92
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Gilead;1631568]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Actually this was the first thing which I tested upon visiting the showroom..push back the ORVM really hard with a sudden movement..was surprised to see it fold backwards smoothly.

The Lancer's ORVM folded inwards.

I also saw a silver 1.6S at the same place yesterday. First time I am seeing a silver and it's only the 4th 1.6S I have ever seen. It looked really good in silver as well.
+
I think there are few certain features which were not described by Ford but it is available in the car (Like reverse folding of ORVM). If FORD going to list items like this in the feature list, then it will score more in the market?
Old 14th December 2009, 13:42   #93
BHPian

Most newer cars have this feature, the feature is too common for a special metion.
Old 14th December 2009, 20:36   #94
BHPian

though the outward folding is good, wondering why ford would not want the ORVM to completely fold inwards. Would be nice to have the mirrors fold completely.
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:24   #95
Senior - BHPian

2000 Kms Update

I thought I'll update this thread since the other one has been shut down.

My car completed 2000 kms yesterday and boy, has it been a dream or what. The car has been perfect so far and I can confirm that I do not have a lemon. Nothing has fallen off either and there have been zero niggles.

Power

Sublime is the word I would use. The 1.6S puts down all the available power in a very smooth and linear fashion. There are no dead spots anywhere in the RPM range. In my opinion, even Hondas are sort of dead below 1800 RPM but nope, not the Duratec.

It pulls cleanly from any RPM in any gear. It can also chug along in 2nd gear at 10 kmph without any jerks in dense traffic. My 800 would have definitely stalled without clutch riding at these speeds.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to really enjoy the real fun which starts after 3000 RPM. The engine takes on a different character and the sporty growl is unmistakable. I can feel tons of more power available in reserve, but I usually upshift or run into traffic. I plan to explore the rev range more during a track day.

Handling

The handling is super sharp. I find myself taking curves and corners at speeds that would be impossible for cars in this price range. The chassis is stiff and I have never felt any body roll till now. The bigger and fatter wheels and tires come into play and I have never been in a situation where I sensed I was losing grip. The steering is direct and road conditions are directly conveyed to the driver. I don't think I can ever buy a car with a dead steering after experiencing steering feedback like this. I love the way it can jump up from behind a slow car and complete overtaking moves in a flash with no fuss.

Ride

The ride is hard. It's as simple as that. I knew it when before buying it and I am not complaining about it now as the stiff ride contributes to the pristine handling. The ride on bad roads is not so bad if they are taken at speed but it does get harsh at slow speeds on bad roads. Low profile tires contribute to the harsh ride as well. The cabin is well insulated though tire noise is quite apparent at high speeds.

Build Quality

After graduating from a Maruti, the Fiesta feels like it will last forever. Everything is solid to touch and the doors are heavy as hell. I have had zero rattles, squeaks or wanted noises so far inspite of the harder ride.

Mileage

It gives ~9.5 kmpl and I am happy with that. I have not used System G till now which is apparently recommended by Ford.

ICE

The stock ICE is good enough for me for now. There is no distrotion at any volume level and the mids and highs are very clear. Bass is just about adequate. I might upgrade it later, but I fear that it will introduce rattles. I sorely miss the USB option. This is my only real gripe.

Color

This is one of the best parts about the car. It's unique and it stands out a mile in parking lots. It changes color quite dramatically depending on the light and it looks fantastic at night. This color does attract a lot of dust though. It's only slightly better than black in this respect. I heard Ford has discontinued this color, but I was lucky enough to get one of the last batches.

Conclusion

It's been great so far. My car is going for it's first service this Saturday. I hope the service guys don't screw up anything. I will update this thread again with my service experience.

Last edited by Gilead : 3rd February 2010 at 17:26.
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:42   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I thought I'll update this thread since the other one has been shut down. Am still trying to get over it..feels like a bereavement just occurred in family. High time my own thread comes online.

My car completed 2000 kms yesterday and boy, has it been a dream or what. The car has been perfect so far and I can confirm that I do not have a lemon. Nothing has fallen off either and there have been zero niggles. Ditto here, post 5500 Kms/45 days. Except the rubber stoppers just under the boot while wiping;-

Power

It pulls cleanly from any RPM in any gear. It can also chug along in 2nd gear at 10 kmph without any jerks in dense traffic. My 800 would have definitely stalled without clutch riding at these speeds.
Yep, in 1st without any pressure on the accelerator, it will chugh along nicely at about 10K, in 2nd at about 20K..no need to keep the clutch pressed or touch the gas pedal..Sometimes a boon in near bumper-to-bumper traffic, thus avoiding clutch-riding.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to really enjoy the real fun which starts after 3000 RPM. The engine takes on a different character and the sporty growl is unmistakable. I can feel tons of more power available in reserve, but I usually upshift or run into traffic. I plan to explore the rev range more during a track day. Yet to see CONFIRMED status againt your name. During my CHN-KOL-CHN 3800Kms trip, found the ideal cruising speed to be around 100..at this speed, no tyre noise/engine noise, ergonomics discomfort etc...can cruise at this speed effortlessly, yet remain in full control.

Handling

The handling is super sharp. I find myself taking curves and corners at speeds that would be impossible for cars in this price range. The chassis is stiff and I have never felt any body roll till now. The bigger and fatter wheels and tires come into play and I have never been in a situation where I sensed I was losing grip. The steering is direct and road conditions are directly conveyed to the driver. I don't think I can ever buy a car with a dead steering after experiencing steering feedback like this. I love the way it can jump up from behind a slow car and complete overtaking moves in a flash with no fuss. I did feel body roll if sudden/sharp turns are taken on my SXi at >120 speeds, however, there was no sense of losing control whatsoever.

Ride

The ride is hard. It's as simple as that. I knew it when before buying it and I am not complaining about it now as the stiff ride contributes to the pristine handling. The ride on bad roads is not so bad if they are taken at speed but it does get harsh at slow speeds on bad roads. Low profile tires contribute to the harsh ride as well. The cabin is well insulated though tire noise is quite apparent at high speeds. For smoother rides, there is the SXi/ZXi..for each his own. As long the option is there, no one is complaining.

Build Quality

After graduating from a Maruti, the Fiesta feels like it will last forever. Everything is solid to touch and the doors are heavy as hell. I have had zero rattles, squeaks or wanted noises so far inspite of the harder ride.
"Unwanted noises" you mean..

Mileage

It gives ~9.5 kmpl and I am happy with that. I have not used System G till now which is apparently recommended by Ford. In City is giving me between 10-11-depends on how many days I go to pickup my kids from school (dropping is regular though-no choice of opting out here)

ICE

The stock ICE is good enough for me for now. There is no distrotion at any volume level and the mids and highs are very clear. Bass is just about adequate. I might upgrade it later, but I fear that it will introduce rattles. I sorely miss the USB option. This is my only real gripe.
Want more BASS..lessen the TREBLE. I found the speakers capable of giving higher BASS output, since mostly I use iPod/iPhone-cum-AUX in with the equalizer in the iPod/iPhone set at "Bass Booster"

IMO, a dedicated USB player is better like the iPod & other usb MP3 players. This is becos if you are having '000s of songs, the HU (as in my Pioneer in Ikon) will take ages to read the entire list and be in ready2play mode. Not only that, whenever the ignition is switched off, back to square one! Not sure about high-end HU's, but for budget HU under 10-12K, it may not be the ideal scenario, if you are having a huge collection.

Hey, why don't you stick on a nano (some velcro type) on the blank right side area of the HU and connect it to the Auxin-that way the next/forward/play button on the nano would be in easy reach.

Color

This is one of the best parts about the car. It's unique and it stands out a mile in parking lots. It changes color quite dramatically depending on the light and it looks fantastic at night. This color does attract a lot of dust though. It's only slightly better than black in this respect. I heard Ford has discontinued this color, but I was lucky enough to get one of the last batches. Had a tough time deciding on S/Sxi just becos of the color..finally opted for SXi giving priority to leather seats over color.

Conclusion

It's been great so far. My car is going for it's first service this Saturday. I hope the service guys don't screw up anything. I will update this thread again with my service experience.
Whoa! What a review! Finally, the much waited review has taken place!

My contextual comments in bold inline (I have an SXI)
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:43   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am still trying to get over it..feels like a bereavement just occurred in family. High time my own thread comes online.
I agree. You are officially 'homeless' now.

Quote:
Ditto here, post 5500 Kms/45 days. Except the rubber stoppers just under the boot while wiping;-
What rubber stopper under the boot are you talking about?

Quote:
Yet to see CONFIRMED status againt your name. During my CHN-KOL-CHN 3800Kms trip, found the ideal cruising speed to be around 100..at this speed, no tyre noise/engine noise, ergonomics discomfort etc...can cruise at this speed effortlessly, yet remain in full control.
I have confirmed on that thread now. I bet the tires will squeal on the track if you push them, especially yours. lol

Quote:
I did feel body roll if sudden/sharp turns are taken on my SXi at >120 speeds, however, there was no sense of losing control whatsoever.

Quote:
In City is giving me between 10-11-depends on how many days I go to pickup my kids from school (dropping is regular though-no choice of opting out here)
My mileage is bound to be lower as my tires are bigger and wider. But 9.5 is in the ballpark I would say.

Quote:
IMO, a dedicated USB player is better like the iPod & other usb MP3 players.
I don't have an MP3 player. Plan to get one soon.
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:08   #98
Senior - BHPian

congrats !!! and thats a great write up i must say. The Fiesta is a great car.
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:23   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
What rubber stopper under the boot are you talking about?
When you fully open the bootlid, there are 2 rubber stopper kind of things at the bootom left/rightmost corners (at the edges facing the rear windscreen..while wiping with cloth these tend to come out..can be easily fixed back though. Have now "feviquicked" them in place, lest it drops out and gets lost.
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:31   #100
BHPian

Man! I love this Aquarius Blue on 1.6S but my mum doesn't seem to like it that much. Let's see which car we buy in the coming months. Plus, when is the new 2011 Fiesta to be launched? Any idea?
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:32   #101
BHPian

As we are currently homeless now, I have to ask my own queries in any of the Fiesta owner's threads now.
Picking up Gilead's this time.

I have a very very basic question. Remember: I am very new driver. Started learning 4 wheeler in Dec 09 and currently driving Fiesta from Jan 21, 09. This query may be applicable to all cars, but just as I am driving Fiesta, thought of asking here only.

Do I have to ride the clutch every time I press the brake? Or I have to press the clutch only when I change gears or the car slows down a lot? Is it really necessary to press the clutch for momentary braking (needed if the car in front come close for a moment or the traffic move slow or during breaking while turning left or right)?

This confusion arose because my training car (an old Esteem) used to stall every time I brake and not press the clutch. Whereas the same does not happen in Fiesta even if the car slows down to some extent (though not a crawling speed).

Between, I have always ensured to my foot does not stay on the clutch while the car moves steadily.

Please help.
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:50   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
As we are currently homeless now, I have to ask my own queries in any of the Fiesta owner's threads now.
Picking up Gilead's this time.
Some Russian roulette this;-}

I have a very very basic question. Remember: I am very new driver. Started learning 4 wheeler in Dec 09 and currently driving Fiesta from Jan 21, 09. This query may be applicable to all cars, but just as I am driving Fiesta, thought of asking here only.

Do I have to ride the clutch every time I press the brake? Or I have to press the clutch only when I change gears or the car slows down a lot? Is it really necessary to press the clutch for momentary braking (needed if the car in front come close for a moment or the traffic move slow or during breaking while turning left or right)?

This confusion arose because my training car (an old Esteem) used to stall every time I brake and not press the clutch. Whereas the same does not happen in Fiesta even if the car slows down to some extent (though not a crawling speed).

Between, I have always ensured to my foot does not stay on the clutch while the car moves steadily.

Please help.
I tried various combinations and after reading about the best practices and trying out myself (why did you think I took the trip?), I can safely say I am comfortable braking first and if required, use the clutch almost at the point of stalling. More info on this here (Dude,err..Dada, you need to use advanced search, use simple search if you want to only see lots of Hi guys/Congratulations! Thank you etc).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ar-brakes.html

Further, refer to my inline post earlier..in a slow moving traffic situation (always in KOL..saw lots of speed restriction signposts of 30 officially put up on major roads as well), in 1st/2nd gear you can comfortable drive in 10/20 KM speed without pressing the clutch and your foot off the accelerator (must maintain some 2-3 metres space in front always)..needs to practise though first otherwise danger of stalling is there, esp in 1st gear.

EDIT: Also, read the FORD FIGO review from GTO..regarding this above point I had made. It seems it is a speciality of Duratec engine, not avlbl in other like MJD etc.

Last edited by sanjayc : 3rd February 2010 at 20:57.
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:12   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
congrats !!! and thats a great write up i must say. The Fiesta is a great car.
Thanks! I see you have an OHC Vtec and that makes you an enthusiast like me. I remember the OHC used to be pretty lousy around curves at high speed, but that's a different kind of thrill. The Fiesta S is a lot more composed and solid.

Quote:
When you fully open the bootlid, there are 2 rubber stopper kind of things at the bootom left/rightmost corners
Never ever seen this. Will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Man! I love this Aquarius Blue on 1.6S but my mum doesn't seem to like it that much. Let's see which car we buy in the coming months. Plus, when is the new 2011 Fiesta to be launched? Any idea?
Too bad about your mum's taste in colors. lol We can expect the new Fiesta in 2012 or 2013 I guess. Ford is always late here. But it will be priced much higher than the current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
I press the clutch only when changing gears or at the point of stalling while crawling. If you generally hit the clutch while braking, you will lose out on engine braking and the clutch will wear out soon as well.

Quote:
I tried various combinations and after reading about the best practices and trying out myself (why did you think I took the trip?),
Very good points.
Old 4th February 2010, 17:49   #104
BHPian

Congrats on the new "Blue" S....Its unique and few of a kind....just like all us Aquarius Blue owners...!!!!!!!

PS: Sorry for a small hijck, but am done with 2500 kms on Blue Streak. Post coming up soon.
Old 4th February 2010, 18:17   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Too bad about your mum's taste in colors.
That's not the case. Frankmehta's Diamond White was unanimously liked by everybody at home. Maybe, if we buy the car, it would hopefully be white. Also, is it easy maintaining a white colour?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks