Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 00:27   #1
BHPian

The Superb Superb

Hi guys,
I finally got a Skoda Superb 1.8TSI the other day. Delivery took almost 2 months! The car is an absolute gem. I was not too sure about Skoda’s aftersales, but after sitting in and driving this car, no other car less than 40 lacs seems to impress me.

Some of the features about the car that I love are

Adaptive Xenons. - These just light up the whole road in front of you. I have a civic, an i20, an Accord (earlier gen), but after driving with Xenons its like comparing a candle to a torch. I was driving with my cousin to the airport the other day and he asked me why I was driving with a high beam, since the whole road in front of us was lit. I had to show him that this is my normal beam, and this is my high beam. I particularly love the light show that the Xenons do when you start up the car (they move down, sideways, and back). The turning/cornering lights function is also useful. Coming home and going home lights are good to have, but not useful for me.
Parking sensors - The huge touchscreen is a boon since it’s quite a long car and its easier to judge the distance remaining with these sensors, especially at the back.
Gearbox – The shifts are supersmooth, and since im still running the engine in, the revs are generally between 1-2.5k. Its great to have 7 gears since you are always in the right gear. Its much much smoother than my civic’s 5 speed.
Auto-dimming rear view mirrors – Both ORVMs and the internal rear view mirror are auto dimming, which is quite useful. I didn’t think much of this feature till I actually started using it.
Biiiiiiiiig Trunk. – 565 litres. The dual boot looked like a gimmick at first, but it is useful when you’re loading quite some luggage in. Its easier to arrange, and access for even the last bag is easy, not to mention its much easier to fit in larger bags.
Rear vents on B pillars – Good to have since they can throw cool air straight on your face
Cruise control. – My dad was on the sea link today and he said cruise control was fun since everyone was going at 50 (as there was an accident), so all he did was put the car on cruise and then he was “chillin”
Suspension – Coming from the civic, this suspension just eats the bumps on the road. Much better, especially for the back seat passenger. No thuds, and no jerks either.
Body Roll- I dont know what this is called, but basically If im going on a curve at 80-90 kmph, in the civic and accord my body gets pushed to the side, but not so in this car. On a different note, the turning radius of this car is lesser than what I was expecting. (I was expecting 3 point turns everywhere)
Legroom – It is unimaginable. As much as the S class. Almost tooo much. Much more comfortable than the 5 series.

The only things I don’t like about this car are.

Size – too big for a noob like me
Right ORVM is a plane mirror, so does not show as much of the road as you would like. Don’t know what to do about it since I don’t think I can change the glass as these are heated mirrors
Cubbyholes – Not as many cubbyholes around as in the civic, but maybe that’s just me being picky.

I’ve attached a few pictures of the car…
Attached Thumbnails
The Superb Superb-img_2539.jpg  

The Superb Superb-img_2544.jpg  

The Superb Superb-img_2552.jpg  

The Superb Superb-img_2554.jpg  

The Superb Superb-img_2555.jpg  

The Superb Superb-img_2559.jpg  

The Superb Superb-img_2568.jpg  

The Superb Superb-img_2562.jpg  

Old 14th December 2009, 01:31   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
I finally got a Skoda Superb 1.8TSI the other day. Delivery took almost 2 months!
why two months, did they give you any particlular reason! is this car imported from Prague or what? isnt it assembled here!
Quote:
The car is an absolute gem. I was not too sure about Skoda’s aftersales, but after sitting in and driving this car, no other car less than 40 lacs seems to impress me.
you said it bro. this car is definition of having the cake and eating it too!
i think they should name it the S- class> er.... superb class.
Quote:
Adaptive Xenons. - . I particularly love the light show that the Xenons do when you start up the car (they move down, sideways, and back)
i think the so called light show is your xenon's adjusting to the horizon and loaded weight to the surface at proper angle so that you get the perfect lighting! they are " Adaptive xenons". they adjust automatically to the conditions!
Quote:
Gearbox – The shifts are supersmooth, and since im still running the engine in, the revs are generally between 1-2.5k.
Its great to have 7 gears since this gearbox is developed by skoda for this car, and its only available for the petrol version, i beleive its as good as the Mercedes benz 7G-tronic
Quote:
Biiiiiiiiig Trunk. – 565 litres. The dual boot looked like a gimmick at first, but it is useful when you’re loading quite some luggage in. Its easier to arrange, and access for even the last bag is easy, not to mention its much easier to fit in larger bags.
i bet that airport trip made you realize it right, we take such things for granted but the manufacturers of such cars think of every details.
Quote:
Rear vents on B pillars – Good to have since they can throw cool air straight on your face
next day you get flu because of this, you get spoiled in this car, spoiled like anything
Quote:
Cruise control. – My dad was on the sea link today and he said cruise control was fun since everyone was going at 50 (as there was an accident), so all he did was put the car on cruise and then he was “chillin”
And they say cruise control does not work in india, HA HA.
Quote:
Suspension – Coming from the civic, this suspension just eats the bumps on the road. Much better, especially for the back seat passenger. No thuds, and no jerks either.
typical german car characteristic.
Quote:
Body Roll- I dont know what this is called, but basically If im going on a curve at 80-90 kmph, in the civic and accord my body gets pushed to the side, but not so in this car.
it has less body roll than the latest gen accord!
Quote:
Legroom – It is unimaginable. As much as the S class. Almost tooo much. Much more comfortable than the 5 series.
its designed like a limousine, and they kept rear passenger comfort in mind!
Quote:
Size – too big for a noob like me
you will get used to it, don't worry... congratulations!!!any plans to sell off the other cars, or just adding to the collection!

Last edited by Caramelo : 14th December 2009 at 01:37.
Old 14th December 2009, 01:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and nice purchase, holysmoke! The superb sure does look imposing - excellent value too, this side of 40L. Just hope the A.S.S is decent. I checked out one the other day, my dad is in love with the backseat comfort and space

Enjoy!

Last edited by anekho : 14th December 2009 at 01:41.
Old 14th December 2009, 01:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the superb buy and welcome to the superb club !
What dealership did you book from? I wonder why they made you wait so long, delivery time is barely 1 month now. I booked my car late july and insisted quick delivery, JMD gave me the car in 3 weeks flat.
I agree with you that this car is more comfy than the 5 series, although the tight support is better in our 5. Overall I'm very satisfied and nothing speaks more than a returning customer, I just booked a second one last week
Only gripe I have is the goodyear nct5 ! The suspension could work soo much better with yoko adrives or something of the sort.
Old 14th December 2009, 01:53   #5
BHPian

hey holysmoke congratulations!
Superb is one head turner for sure.
could you post some more pics and tell us about the buying and ownership experience.
p.s.do you mind telling the on road price of the car?
Old 14th December 2009, 09:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oh boy, the space in the back is indeed massive. The car seems to be fantastic value for money. Just make sure your driver or someone else is around while the car is being serviced. Congrats!
Old 14th December 2009, 10:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Holysmoke - She is a beauty, enjoy your ride and please post regular reports as the kms build up.
I almost bought the Laura but was put off by the Skoda horror stories. Finally bought a Civic.
Old 14th December 2009, 10:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Awesome ride. A worthy competitor for Honda Accord. I pray Skoda would improve their A**.
Old 14th December 2009, 10:58   #9
BHPian

Great buy holysmoke . Definitely Suberpb choice, a great VFM machine.
Jus hope the A.S.S is as good.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thats a nice looking car you go there holysmoke. Congrats! And best of luck with the A.S.Service.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:11   #11
BHPian

@Holysmoke: Superb is indeed a fantastics car and IMO a good VFM. Congratulations on the new ride and have a great time with it.

@Sahil: Congratulations on booking the second Superb. Is the second also a 1.8TSI or are you going in V6?

Cheers.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:13   #12
BHPian

@ Caramelo
Yeah.. the car spoils you like anything. I love the autodimming mirrors and the memory seats

@ Sahil
I bought it from Autobahn in Andheri. They had quoted 6-8 weeks. I'm going to get my car serviced at JMD though. There were some production delays, and my car kept getting delayed. I called Skoda and they told me that the car had been billed to the dealer. I called the dealer and he says he hasnt got any invoice or anything of the sort for it. Finally I threw a tantrum and put the dealer and skoda on conference and told them that you guys sort out whatever you want to, I want the car by Friday or I'm going and getting an Accord. They gave me the car by friday

@ishlinea7260
The on-road was around 22-22.5 lacs, (dont know the full amount). It was a company registration hence the price was more.. the admin team from my company handled that. We got a discount of 34k.

@ Cyborg
I saw the laura 1.8 TSI at the showroom when I went to pick this up. It is a car with a great engine but not much else. Its a really tough choice.. on one side you have a monster of an engine, while on the other you have a great allround car albeit for the ground clearance. I think overall the civic is better than the laura though. (not because I have one..)

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try to post some more pics soon.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Superbbbbb

congratulation holysmoke.

Please post some pics of adaptive xenon light throw.

also what is that protruding black thing on the door in third picture (covered by plastic)?

wishing you happy miles and smiles ahead
Old 14th December 2009, 11:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
also what is that protruding black thing on the door in third picture (covered by plastic)?
Umbrella if I'm not mistakened.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post

@Sahil: Congratulations on booking the second Superb. Is the second also a 1.8TSI or are you going in V6?

Cheers.
Thanks ! It is the 1.8TSi again, the v6 is pointless since the car will be chauffeur driven most often and to really get the grunt out of that v6 you gotta fill her up with the lethally expensive 97 octane fuel. The 1.8 is fantastic, super smooth and pretty damn quick. Besides I use the 525d for my need for speed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks