Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 01:25   #76
BHPian

My mileage demystified

Find below the 14 Kms route I take to office daily (7+7 kms) - for which I have to pass through 24 signals. YES, that's correct - a journey that can be swept away by my car in less than 5 minutes at top speed, takes me a good 60 minutes (30+30).

Now - any driver that manages double-digits on this route deserves a Life.
Attached Thumbnails
SX4 ZXi MT – 2010 – Nuevo Ownership Review-homeofficehome.jpg  

Old 9th March 2010, 11:03   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
After my first service, I'd topped up my tank and hence was eagerly awaiting the next top-up.

Today I did so, the car gulped down 43.20 litres of ULP which was surprising (a bit) as my odo showed only 380.2 kms thus giving me an FE of 8.80 Km/L!
My experience so far - I have not got FE less than 10, except once where it was 9.5. My driving style is not sedate in any sense and I fall to the category of zooming off from the traffic - VROOOOM kinda. I drive at 80 kmph in standard city condition and change gears at 2.5 K on an average. My daily drive is 15+15 (to&fro) in typical B-2-B traffic.

However, one point to be noted, that the FE should be calculated with TANK-FULL to TANK-FULL, when i say that it literally means tank full to the edge of the fuel tank opening. Auto cut off gives varied results. I have done this for the first time and yet to refill. WIll let you know how much i am getting.

Quote:
1. 100% City + 100% ACC On, I've also run the heater once for a 30 mins drive.
Use of heater essentially gives less burden to the AC compressor and hence it is better in terms of FE. When you turn the knob towards heating, the heat from the engine is diverted to the cabin and it gets mixed with the cold air to give heating effect. There is no heating coil as such.

Quote:
Too much stop-start traffic in Mumbai.
Bro - I think you need to come to Bangalore to see what exactly is a maddening traffic. I have Mumbai traffic experience for at least 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post
with about 80-90 kms highway at 100-125 kmph, and 110-120 kms in standard city traffic. 11.1 is what Walker has reported.
You really drive at 110-120 in city ?
Old 9th March 2010, 12:21   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
You really drive at 110-120 in city ?
You misunderstood DD. What I wrote was..."about 80-90 kms highway at 100-125 kmph, and 110-120 kms in standard city traffic.." that is not 110-120 kmph, its total travel under city traffic during that specific run for checking FE. I had done 210 kms and that is the breakup - 90 kms highway, 120 kms city. In the city, I usually am around 70 kmph, with occasional bursts to 80-90 kmph, traffic permitting (desire always goads!!!). This morning I had gone to the airport to drop my wife, and was driving at a 100 kmph on many segments.
Old 9th March 2010, 12:44   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post
You misunderstood DD. What I wrote was..."about 80-90 kms highway at 100-125 kmph, and 110-120 kms in standard city traffic.." that is not 110-120 kmph, its total travel under city traffic during that specific run for checking FE. I had done 210 kms and that is the breakup - 90 kms highway, 120 kms city. In the city, I usually am around 70 kmph, with occasional bursts to 80-90 kmph, traffic permitting (desire always goads!!!). This morning I had gone to the airport to drop my wife, and was driving at a 100 kmph on many segments.
Oh OK. Need to improve my interpretation capability.
Old 9th March 2010, 15:02   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprateep View Post
yes 12km in city driving (sedately) and 15-16 (minimum on the highway) is what people are getting. Worst mileage in city is 9km/l and best in highway has been ~18km/l (wonder how he stuck to 2500 rpm throughout the journey).

Anyway the AT will give around 10 in the city and 13-14 on the highway.

PS: I am getting the sx4 thursday next - can't wait to join the sx4 club
Congrats suprateep,
The story is: I have a CityZX manual. I am happy with it except that the clutch is too hard. My father wishes to go for an automatic. We have test-driven the SX4 automatic a few times and really liked it.
But as the gearbox is only 4-speed, will the car suffer on highways? :(
And is there by any chance, any technical problem in the AT version, Maruti seems to be delaying production of SX4 AT.

Thanks
Regards,
Vignesh
Old 20th March 2010, 20:26   #81
BHPian

Writing in Team - BHP after a long time.

# I have booked SX 4 ZXI in bangalore.

# On road price after discount - RS 8,40,000

# Frebees - Sunfilm(2500 worth), Reverse sensor(4500 worth), Teflon coating, mudflaps, matc etc.

# Exchanging my Zen Estilo LXI( 2year old)

Now comes my questions:

1. I am a bit concerned about mileage. Though many experts say that the new VVT engine gives better mileage(ARAI says 15- 16 KMPL), i am a bit speculated on this.
I drive daily to office 30 KM(to and fro) with bumper - bumper Bangalore traffic. My Zen Estilo gives 13.8 KMPL in traffic with 90 % AC. Can I expect atleast 13 KMPL in SX4(after the first service and engine breaks up) ?

2. I have never driven a car with RPM(tachometer i guess ! appoligies for my ignorance). What is the use of tachometer- RPM and how/what I can know from it ?

3. Before I take the vehicle from the showroom, can i get some check lists I need to do before the delivery ?

Eagerly awaiting a reply and my new ZXI .

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:41   #82
BHPian

First of all congrats snb77 for a wise decision, (in case you are a petrolhead).

This is what I have experienced since the D-Day of my SX4 VVT ownership:

1. The OTR should be max INR 8.38 L after all discounts. Which dealer you have booked with ?
2. You could ask for Luster leather seat cover which is approx 8.5 K MRP and you could discount on teflon coating - not of much use as this is a repeatitive job you need to do. Which sun film you are talking of ? Make sure you have the warranty card and bill. Also choose a shade based on your car shade. Mudflaps/mats come by default and not freebies. Also make sure that you have the under chassis rubber coating done - of course free.
3. On FE, I am also driving in typical B2B traffic regularly, same 30 KM to-fro. With 90 % AC on, I have got Max - 10 kmpl and Min 8.6 kmpl. I am not a very sedate driver but not very spirited too and I am into 17th year of my driving. Not sure how people are getting 12 + as some have claimed here. However, I will take the car for FE test and post my observation in few days.
4. Tachometer helps in visually and manually maintaining the required rpm at all gear levels. Also it helps you to understand whether the car idling is correct. The RPM/Speed/Gear changing pattern has MUCH to do with better FE.
5. Attached an exhaustive PDI/PRI checklist that I had prepared form various sources. Hope it helps.

Feel free to post any querry. Happy Motoring!

BTW you could check my Ownership Report here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...xperience.html.
Attached Files
File Type: doc pdi.doc (104.0 KB, 671 views)

Last edited by DigitalDragon : 22nd March 2010 at 12:45.
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:46   #83
BHPian

Congrats snb77. SX4 is a great vehicle. I own a non-VVT SX4 and I am getting 11+ with 80% AC on. I drive around 16 KM per day. If you drive sedately I guess you should be getting a mileage around that.
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:28   #84
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the tips.

1. Dealer - Mandovi motors. Onroad price is - 8,42,000 RS

2. I tried my best to negotiate with the sales guy and the best i can get so for is Sunfilim(garware - light shade. Im planning to take biege color) , reverse sensor, steering grip and Teflon coating. Though the dealer is not ready to provide underchasis painting or leather seats instead of teflon coating.

Thanks for the FE details and the info on RPM.

Is there any slabs or table on what RPM i should drive in different gears etc??

Quote:
First of all congrats snb77 for a wise decision, (in case you are a petrolhead).

This is what I have experienced since the D-Day of my SX4 VVT ownership:

1. The OTR should be max INR 8.38 L after all discounts. Which dealer you have booked with ?
2. You could ask for Luster leather seat cover which is approx 8.5 K MRP and you could discount on teflon coating - not of much use as this is a repeatitive job you need to do. Which sun film you are talking of ? Make sure you have the warranty card and bill. Also choose a shade based on your car shade. Mudflaps/mats come by default and not freebies. Also make sure that you have the under chassis rubber coating done - of course free.
3. On FE, I am also driving in typical B2B traffic regularly, same 30 KM to-fro. With 90 % AC on, I have got Max - 10 kmpl and Min 8.6 kmpl. I am not a very sedate driver but not very spirited too and I am into 17th year of my driving. Not sure how people are getting 12 + as some have claimed here. However, I will take the car for FE test and post my observation in few days.
4. Tachometer helps in visually and manually maintaining the required rpm at all gear levels. Also it helps you to understand whether the car idling is correct. The RPM/Speed/Gear changing pattern has MUCH to do with better FE.
5. Attached an exhaustive PDI/PRI checklist that I had prepared form various sources. Hope it helps.

Feel free to post any querry. Happy Motoring!

BTW you could check my Ownership Report here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...xperience.html.
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:29   #85
BHPian

Congratulations, snb77.
The first 500 kms on my SX4 VXI VVT gave me 16 KmpL(Highway driving with 100% AC and regular petrol). I expect it to be better after the first/second service.
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:23   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb77 View Post
Is there any slabs or table on what RPM i should drive in different gears etc??
Check out the thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html
This should give you some tips.
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:14   #87
BHPian

Thank you.

16 KMPL on highway is a good mileage i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangusta View Post
Congratulations, snb77.
The first 500 kms on my SX4 VXI VVT gave me 16 KmpL(Highway driving with 100% AC and regular petrol). I expect it to be better after the first/second service.
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:46   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb77 View Post
Writing in Team - BHP after a long time.

# I have booked SX 4 ZXI in bangalore.
Congrats SNB - welcome to the SX4 club. Looking forward to your ownership thread soon.

In the meanwhile, you might wanna post here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ar-thread.html . It will give you a far bigger audience and reach.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:08   #89
BHPian

Sx4 Vvt Fe

OK - Finally official report - I got the FE tested by Maurti, computerized testing on real B2B traffic in Bangalore over an 8 km stretch :

FE: 10.49 kmpl. This is also attributed to my wider tyre (215/60/16). So I can safely think SX4 VVT practically delivers around 11 kmpl on typical B2B city condition with 100 % AC. Fuel - IBP normal petrol.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:23   #90
BHPian

Thanks DD.

I hope the mileage of the car will increase after 5000 KM

Quote:
OK - Finally official report - I got the FE tested by Maurti, computerized testing on real B2B traffic in Bangalore over an 8 km stretch :

FE: 10.49 kmpl. This is also attributed to my wider tyre (215/60/16). So I can safely think SX4 VVT practically delivers around 11 kmpl on typical B2B city condition with 100 % AC. Fuel - IBP normal petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks