Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2010, 19:48   #1
BHPian

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done

Was waiting for my membership to get approved to post my ownership review

Background

My mother has been pushing to buy a car since 2005 .An Alto/Santro.
But since i didn't have a job then and i was (is even now) happy with the bike vetoed that then itself. Also i wanted a bigger and better car.
Come 2009 and i am feeling like i should buy one because my back is aching every time i go home during weekends on my bike (220 kms up-down). Also we are feeling the lack of a car for going out with the whole family (parents , sister/husband and kiddo).So decided to buy a car. But which car??

Which car?

Now this is the most difficult part. I am in for a hatchback/entry level sedan. Budget:Max 6-6.5.Had a look at the A-star. But its plain ugly. Dropped it then itself.Had a look at i10. Cute little car. But felt that i am not getting enough features for the money i'm paying.Also doesnt have a meaty look. looks so girlish. That too chopped off from the list

Next is the swift/dzire duo. Now these two made decision very very difficult

Swift -VDi(Diesel) with ABS

+
Good looks, Maruti (wide network, availability of spares, cheap to maintain),sweet engine, .
Don't think their service (in fact most of the cars in India except the luxury brands) is exceptional. Know many friends of mine who have nothing good to say about their service

-
Skinny tyres, EPS (high speed stability),found the steering to be very disappointing (looks and feedback), ride comfort, rear leg space
4 months waiting period for diesel version

Swift Zxi

+
ABS,Airbags,Stereo,Alloys, 185/60 tyres .Great VFM with all these equipments

-
Mileage is tad low and rest negatives same as that of Swift Vdi except skinny tyres

Dzire (Petrol - Vxi)
-----
+
getting a sedan for the price of Swift Vdi, boot

-
its only a swift with a boot attached!!.horrendously out of proportion looking from sides (reminds me of indigo = indica+boot). Ugly rear end (IMO)

Even with this i had almost decided on Swift Vdi. Then Linea started appearing on the roads and felt "Man, this is a looker"!!!. Searched the net on fiat india and found that they are launching a hatch back in india -Punto. Having seen an abarth punto on the web web i knew that this is a looker. European versions looks so hot. Prays that they bring this version indeed to India.
Punto is launched - reviews are excellent. Main negatives being plastic quality and performance is a bit on the down side
Then started seeing this thing on roads and i am itching to get this.Red looks so hot!!!!. Yes friends - Punto did an emotional atyachar on me

Finalising+Color selection

Red looks hot!!. But its not metallic and is bound to fading.So half halfheartedly dropped red from list. .Loved all colors except minimal grey (it looked very dull for me). Decided it has to be medium grey .Called up the dealer in trivandrum - kulathunkal motors and asked for a test drive.He agrees promptly and said will come the next day .Took a test drive and found the performance to be not upto swift levels.But it was enough for me. Checked all variants on site and found that Emotion is the best bet for my budget (though Emotion pack looked very tempting with Air bag and alloys)

Read all the ownership reviews in team-bhp and found that the only crib people were having was about the finish of plastic parts. Happy that thats the only main niggle.

Went ahead and booked it by paying 500rs on Sep 27th. The sales guy is Binu.Quite a nice person to deal with.Told them to inform me as and when the car arrives. Got a call from him on Oct 1st that the car has arrived and i can have a look. Went there with my parents and did a check up of the car. Everything looked fine. My parents wanted me to take delivery on an auspicious day and the next best time was on Oct 16th. So paid 20k and
blocked the car. Noted the engine number and chassis number.

Discounts offered - 9000rs corporate discount + floor mats + perfume. Bargained for more. But nothing else.

The restless wait is on!!. Called the sales executive by Oct 8th and paid the remaining amount on Oct 10th. Total came around 6.1 on road. Told him that i wanted to take delivery by 11.30 am Oct 16th and no slippage is allowed.He agreed. Car was registered on Oct 14th.

Delivery

Called the sales executive and confirmed that the car is ready. Reached there by 10am. Car was being washed. It was ready by 11 am.
Checked the car and found that the rear right glass beading was not glued properly. Asked the engineer to glue it and he did it promptly.
the staff were courteous and was pleasant to deal with.Took a snap of delivery.They gifted us a box of chocolates. Service engineer explained all basic functinalities .Owners manual + service booklet +5 litres coupon for diesel was handed over to me.We drove away happily and filled up for 500rs from the nearest pump. Reached the place where i stay (I am not a native of Trivandum) and checked how difficult it was to park my car. And it was a bit difficult as i expected. It is bit tight for anything more than an 800/Alto.
Left it there. Enjoyed the beauty for sometime and then me drove to my office and my father went to visit his friend and agreed to meet
me by 6-30-7 pm. Picked him by evening and we headed to our home about 100kms away praying that it will be a happy journey till home (Kerala
roads are notorious for rash driving).And there it started - my journey with Punto !!!
Old 10th January 2010, 20:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, and welcome to the Punto club. As expected do post some pics of your car
Old 10th January 2010, 20:40   #3
BHPian

Congrats soccerfan! You got yourself a beauty. Just hope and pray that NH47 doesn't do no atyachar to your emotion . Post some pics. Drive safe.
Old 10th January 2010, 21:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats dude! All colors looks good on the Punto, may be the design is the reason for this!

Please post some pics.

By the way why the title with "Atyachar"
Old 10th January 2010, 21:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats dude! All colors looks good on the Punto, may be the design is the reason for this!

Please post some pics.

By the way why the title with "Atyachar"
Thats because it emotionally black mailed me to buy it

Will post some snaps soon.
Old 10th January 2010, 21:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy. Nice car and good selection of colour. Have you got any plans to upgrade ICE. How is the stock head unit and speakers? Please post some pics.
Old 10th January 2010, 21:36   #7
BHPian

Congrats soccerfan on your buy. GP is really a great car.
Old 10th January 2010, 22:03   #8
BHPian

Stock ICE is good enough for the casual listener . I'm planning to upgrade the Front speakers though

Photos below (shot with SX100 IS - excuse the shake in some pics)
Attached Thumbnails
Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_6970.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_6971.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_6972.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_6975.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_6987.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_7007.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_7088.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_7756.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_8154.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_8203.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_8266.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_8439.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_8443.jpg  

Punto Emotion - the driving diary - 15k/2nd service done-img_8456.jpg  

Old 11th January 2010, 10:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

it is raining puntos in BHP. congrats.by the way the thread heading is nice. when i saw that i thought you were telling/had lots of problems with your car,but after seeing the post came to know it is the other way
Old 11th January 2010, 11:15   #10
BHPian

Congrats Buddy! Welcome to Punto Club! Enjoy the Ride.
Old 11th January 2010, 13:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

congratulations on your punto, raining in here and for FIAT INDIA as well.Superb product with great handling and steering,suspention setup suitable for our conditions.Enjoy your ride and post some interiors as well.
Old 11th January 2010, 14:51   #12
BHPian

Thank you all for your replies. Will surely post some interior snaps next week
Will post the driving experience/observations and 1st service report soon.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:13   #13
BHPian

Sweet! Congratulations on your buy. Happy Puntering.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:25   #14
BHPian

Firstly congrats!
Heck, i thought something was wrong with ur Punto when i read the thread title Happy motoring!
Old 11th January 2010, 15:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yet another Punter . Congrats bro !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks