Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 00:54   #226
BHPian

I went on a roadtrip to Madikere in Coorg district from Chennai in my Cruze last Saturday via Bangalore with family. Reached Madikere on Sunday afternoon after a night stop at Bangalore. Checked into the resort and parked my car. I was staying there for 2 nights. It was pretty cold there and I did not start the car even once during the 2 day stay. Checked out on Tuesday noon loaded the bags and started the Cruze. It did not start. Lights started flickering and I understood the battery has conked. My Cruze is 10 months old and I was surprised this happened.

Took help of the resort guys and asked them to push the car as I wanted to start the engine with jerk. The car started in the first jerk itself. But I noticed that the ignition has not switched on as the fuel gauge was showing E and also temp was not working though the engine was on. I wanted to switch on the ignition hence pressed the stop start button and next moment the engine switched off!!

This time I kept the ignition in on and asked the guys to give a push again. But the Cruze wouldn't start this time. Tried the jerk start for like 5-6 times but the engine did not crank.

Now I called up the chevy customer care helpline. The call centre person asked the problem and then my location. He said the nearest service station to Madikere is at Mysore. I told him that is 110KMS away and it would take 2 hours for the breakdown service team to reach me. I just asked the call centre exe to guide me on how to start the car He connected to the breakdown service guy of sundaram motors Bangalore. That guy asked me to jump start the car with an external battery. He also asked whether any code is appearing on the display. I replied in the negative. He said the Cruze battery must have drained hence the engine is not starting. Meanwhile the resort ppl arranged another battery to jump start the Cruze.

The engine started and I decided to drive down to Bangalore without switching off the engine throughout the 260KMS journey. Reached Bangalore after 5 hours. I dint switch off anywhere. Once I reached benson town I switched off the car in my apartment parking lot After sometime tried starting the Cruze but it dint start. I was surprised coz the alternator should have recharged the battery while the car was on the run for 5 hours. Called the sundaram breakdown no and informedd that I reached Bangalore but still the same issue. The person said he will send the team in the morning as it was 9 pm and they were attending to another car in electronic city.

Next morning at 930 the breakdown team arrived. They said they will jump start the Cruze and take it to the service station to rectify the problem.

To my utter surprise the Cruze started by the press of the start stop button. Jump start thro external battery was not required. I was zapped that the car started even after being in off for the whole night. Anyway I wanted to get the car checked as I was driving back to Chennai the next day.

Took the Cruze to Sundaram to check what could be the problem. After they checked in the system it was diagnosed that the battery was gone. As 1 year was not completed they said replacement falls under warranty. They needed 4 hours time to replace the battery. I asked them to do it and drop the Cruze in my apartment at benson town. As promised within 4 hours new battery was fitted and car delivered last evening. This afternoon I started back for Chennai and reached without any issues.

I am happy with the service of Sundaram motors Bangalore as they did a speedy job though my Cruze has always been serviced at thei chennai branch.

Last edited by sameer sultan : 29th October 2010 at 01:06.
Old 29th October 2010, 09:33   #227
BHPian

Good that you got the battery replaced.

But how did the battery get fully discharged in just 2 days idle time. And why was it not charged during the run from Madikeri to bangalore? Any answers that they gave for this?
Old 29th October 2010, 11:41   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Battery replacement in under 12 months. Ouch! That must have hurt. What was the cost?

I note that your kms running is also exceptionally high. But, speaking from my own experience i never had to change a battery with my last 2 cars during entire ownership. So not sure what makes the battery conk out so fast other than putting load on it like playing heavy bass music with engine switched off, running lights without engine on etc.

Hyundai Santro ( 38K kms in 3 years)---No battery change, sold with stock battery

Accent Viva CRDi ( 56K Kms in 3.10 years)---No battery change, sold with stock battery

How many kms have you covered until now? Hope other than battery issue everything else with the car is performing as per expectations.

I have a few queries, would be great if you can respond on same

a) I covered only 3000kms in under 3 months and have my next service or check-up, whatever you call that is at 5000kms. I am contemplating engine oil change and that too Synthetic. Can you let me know when was the first time you changed oil in your Cruze and what is the interval between each oil change you have been following?

b) Whats the FE your are getting? City and Highway?

c) Average service cost and intervals at which you have been doing?

I am sure with new battery your good to go for another 30k kms atleast

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th October 2010 at 11:43.
Old 29th October 2010, 17:15   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Good that you got the battery replaced.

But how did the battery get fully discharged in just 2 days idle time. And why was it not charged during the run from Madikeri to bangalore? Any answers that they gave for this?
The service guys say the battery has gone dead. It got charged after the run as I mentioned the Car started the next morning but it wasn't the normal crank hence the battery was replaced. They checked the Alternator and said it is working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Battery replacement in under 12 months. Ouch! That must have hurt. What was the cost?

Rs. 150/- for the drop service at my apartment. Battery was replaced free of cost under warranty.

I note that your kms running is also exceptionally high. But, speaking from my own experience i never had to change a battery with my last 2 cars during entire ownership. So not sure what makes the battery conk out so fast other than putting load on it like playing heavy bass music with engine switched off, running lights without engine on etc.

Hyundai Santro ( 38K kms in 3 years)---No battery change, sold with stock battery

Accent Viva CRDi ( 56K Kms in 3.10 years)---No battery change, sold with stock battery

How many kms have you covered until now? Hope other than battery issue everything else with the car is performing as per expectations.

I have run 27700KMS. Yes rest all is working fine. You have been lucky with your 2 cars. I had faced the same issue with my Skoda Octavia. The battery got conked within 10 months and had to get it replaced. The Skoda service being lousy did not have the new battery to replace hence they provided a service battery and kept promising that they will soon give me the new battery. But that dint happen and the 2nd year lapsed. After which I replaced a new battery from Exide. Hence I was happy with the service provided by Sundaram Motors.

I have a few queries, would be great if you can respond on same

a) I covered only 3000kms in under 3 months and have my next service or check-up, whatever you call that is at 5000kms. I am contemplating engine oil change and that too Synthetic. Can you let me know when was the first time you changed oil in your Cruze and what is the interval between each oil change you have been following?

The first oil change was at 15000KMS. Next will be at 30000KMS. its clearly mentioned in the manual that only every 15K one needs to get the oil replaced.

b) Whats the FE your are getting? City and Highway?

9/11

c) Average service cost and intervals at which you have been doing?

Every 5000kms service being done. Cost if no oil change and just check up around Rs. 1500/- In case any replacement like at 20000kms I replaced the front and rear brake pads cost Rs.13,000/-. For the oil change I think it costed around 5K

I am sure with new battery your good to go for another 30k kms
atleast

You Bet!!!
Old 30th October 2010, 09:42   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the inputs Sameer. I am aware about the service intervals but, lot of people are recommending that "first change to oil" as soon as possible and not wait until 15,000kms as it will clean up the metal shaving residue that usually comes from brand new vehicles.

Is it mineral or synthetic oil that you use?

Infact, i was getting recommendations that it should have been changed at 1000kms or latest by 5000kms and not follow the advice as given in service booklet

Hence, my dilemma
Old 30th October 2010, 11:23   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs Sameer. I am aware about the service intervals but, lot of people are recommending that "first change to oil" as soon as possible and not wait until 15,000kms as it will clean up the metal shaving residue that usually comes from brand new vehicles.

Is it mineral or synthetic oil that you use?

Infact, i was getting recommendations that it should have been changed at 1000kms or latest by 5000kms and not follow the advice as given in service booklet

Hence, my dilemma
I have a Linea, we have been changing oil every 15000kms. Its covered 40000KMS and running without any problems. Same intervals with the Jetta too.

Synthetic Oil.
Old 1st November 2010, 00:25   #232

Jetta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
I have a Linea, we have been changing oil every 15000kms. Its covered 40000KMS and running without any problems. Same intervals with the Jetta too.

Synthetic Oil.
Hello Sameer, just read the first and last pages of this thread. I have a Jetta Comfortline TDI. I also liked the Cruze for its looks, esp. black. The interiors look OK, but lack class. Did you consider the Jetta?
Old 1st November 2010, 17:19   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carradio View Post
Hello Sameer, just read the first and last pages of this thread. I have a Jetta Comfortline TDI. I also liked the Cruze for its looks, esp. black. The interiors look OK, but lack class. Did you consider the Jetta?
I did not consider the Jetta as my in laws own 1 and I had driven it extensively. Its a very sturdy car build tank like. The only grouse I have is I feel it is overpriced. Lacks VFM that the Cruze offers.

But the brand VW is a premium one as guess one needs to pay that much extra to own a VW. Same case with the Polo vis a vis Figo/Punto.
Old 16th November 2010, 17:03   #234
BHPian

disappointed with Cruze ... break pads all the way ...

Well I don't really know who to blame .. myself or the brake assembly,
but in only 16,000 kms, I went in for my third servicing and came to know that the brake pads need to be changed since they are fully worn out.

The same cost a whooping Rs. 13000 for both the front and rear in total and I can't seem to figure out who to blame. I do drive fast; I mean,come on, the car's built that way!

Anyways, it's in for oil, oil filter change as well and I hope to get it by tomorrow, but this is a huge over head and I better be careful with the breaking !!

My question is -> do we get after market break pads that last longer ? I'm sure they'll cost cheaper or the same but would be a better product than the OEM.

Anyways, one more thing to be noted is that the AC keeps getting ineffective in terms of blowing power, probably because the cabin filter clogs in a lot of dust since I drive in Gurgaon which is a very dusty area, like a dessert.
I got it cleaned out at the first and second servicing too.

So things to keep in mind at every 15k Servicing:

Must try Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic oil because I'm not a fan of OEM products when they cost the same (especially if they cost the same).

Must break minimum to enhance life or get after market pads (if available) . Lol means more people dead on the road

Must not ignore servicing intervals of 5000 -> should be checked throughly at every 5k or 7.5k at max.

Must Cruze and not Speed.

Disappointed. Civic's breakpads last 50,000 Kms I heard. My old accent's break pads lasted a long time and were only changed once. currently clogging 50K Kms only.

Cruze brake pads

Last edited by Amartya : 18th November 2010 at 00:07. Reason: Cleaned up an extra smiley and removed 'dots'. Would appreciate lesser use of 'dots'
Old 17th November 2010, 11:33   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetkanwar View Post
but in only 16,000 kms, I went in for my third servicing and came to know that the brake pads need to be changed since they are fully worn out ...
changing brake pads at 16-20k kms is normal in diesel, even in our diesel elantra we used to change at these intervals. Proves that you are enjoying cruze the way it should be enjoyed.

Quote:
The same cost a whooping Rs. 13000 for both the front and rear in total

Quote:
My question is -> do we get after market break pads that last longer ? I'm sure they'll cost cheaper or the same but would be a better product than the OEM ...
You do get performance brake pads for cruze, check t-bhp tuner directory and enquire about it. I doubt if performance brake pads last longer than OEM brake pads.

Quote:
Must try Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic oil because I'm not a fan of OEM products when they cost the same.
It should be 5w40 grade synthetic oil and not 5w30, check your manual?
i would recommend shell helix 5w40 synthetic oil and not mobil 1.
Old 17th November 2010, 13:04   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

@Harpreet, your brakepads worn out at 16K kms and Sameer's got busted at 21K kms. Hope no one reports that it went kaput at 10K next

Having said that, now i am mentally and financially going to be prepared for this cost at around that odometer mileage but, it does seem ridiculously early for it fade out. I agree its a powerful car and needs strong brakes to stop it ( which it certainly has) but, fading at such an early stage is just not right. My Pete'd Accent Viva CRDi used to be driven pretty hard and its brakes got replaced at 34,000kms.

Either the cost of pads has to go down or the life has to increase. I do know the latter is not possible as it has to do a great job of stoping that huge monster of steel with its 320 newton meters of torque.

So it would great to see the cost of pads go down eventually ( i am going to be at 16K kms around June'11) atleast by the time i am set for a replacement.

Regarding the oil change, i hope all Cruze owners are doing it at 15,000kms as i do know some folks who do it much early than company recommendation. With regards to the type and brand of oil, it has to be 5w40 grade synthetic oil but,

Brraj, can you please outline the reason for your recommendation for Shell instead of Mobil 1?

Also, any info on how many litres the Cruze consumes and cost per litre?
Old 17th November 2010, 16:32   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Brraj, can you please outline the reason for your recommendation for Shell instead of Mobil 1?
This incident happened around 1.5yrs back in bombay. Elantra crdi was filled with mobil1 synthetic oil and guess what happened? engine got seized at around 6k kms.
Reason - There was very less oil in the engine, which means oil will burn faster in mobil 1. Mobil 1 is a very good engine oil when it comes to petrols but in case of diesels i doubt if it can match shell helix.
More over we have tested shell synthetic oil in our boosted elantra crdis and nothing to complain.

Quote:
Also, any info on how many litres the Cruze consumes and cost per litre?
For this check the owners manual because according to service guys we used to fill
elantra crdi - 5.3
Magnum - 5.9

To cross check use the dip stick and never cross the max line.

Paid rs.6200 for 6lts of shell helix 5w40 in shell bunk for my magnum.

Last edited by brraj : 17th November 2010 at 16:34.
Old 17th November 2010, 19:41   #238
BHPian

Considering that brake pads for automatic cars wear out early, should I actually look for them wearing out even as early as 15000km??
I was advised at the 5000km service that they will change the oil at 10000kms and then at every10000kms.
Old 18th November 2010, 11:38   #239
NKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post

Synthetic Oil.
Hi, Though others have said this a number of times, let me also say what a great thread. Hats off especially to Sameer for his extensive driving and the voluminous info that he has given. After a bit of research mostly guided by the bhpians and a couple of test drives I have decided to go in for the LTZ.

Some queries

1. What would be total cost of ownership considering an average 10-15K driving per year. The reason for this question is the Cashless Ownership Offer by Chevrolet India. The three year cashless ownership of cruze is being offered for 42K should I go for it.

2. How are the lights? should I fit the car with HID , or are the stock options good enough.

3. The test drive cars that i drove, had music systems that I felt to be not that great ( The Laura 2009 that we have in the stable sounded better)Is there any option for upgrade(Comments/suggestions please)

4. The reverse sensors do not have visual indication, Should I fit a sensor with visual indicators.

5. I am not very happy with the gray steering grip and want to change it to a black leather one, One accessory dealer said that you have to remove the entire steering column to change the steering grip. Is it true and is it advisable

6. In case I do modifications to the items mentioned will it result in warranty compromise.

Thanks in advance to all those who CRUZE effortlessly.
Old 18th November 2010, 13:11   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
I was advised at the 5000km service that they will change the oil at 10000kms and then at every10000kms.
This is a new angle to the story. I thought the manual says 15k kms and also Sameer confirmed the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post
1. What would be total cost of ownership considering an average 10-15K driving per year. The reason for this question is the Cashless Ownership Offer by Chevrolet India. The three year cashless ownership of cruze is being offered for 42K should I go for it.
42K is expensive but, does it include brake pad replacements and synthetic oil changes?

Quote:
2. How are the lights? should I fit the car with HID , or are the stock options good enough.
Stock lights are quite decent. I never felt the need for an upgrade. But, better lights are always welcome. So go for it if you feel its in-adequate.

Quote:
3. The test drive cars that i drove, had music systems that I felt to be not that great ( The Laura 2009 that we have in the stable sounded better)Is there any option for upgrade(Comments/suggestions please)
I disagree. I have listened to the sound system in older version ( PDI) Laura and Cruze LTZ. I feel LTZ has better sounding system.

If you feel the need to upgrade. Just add a good component system in front and it will make a whole world of difference.

Quote:
4. The reverse sensors do not have visual indication, Should I fit a sensor with visual indicators.
You can go for it but, get it done with Chevy folks ONLY

Quote:
5. I am not very happy with the gray steering grip and want to change it to a black leather one, One accessory dealer said that you have to remove the entire steering column to change the steering grip. Is it true and is it advisable
Do not tamper with steering wheel. Get it installed as it is without removing the steering column

Quote:
6. In case I do modifications to the items mentioned will it result in warranty compromise
If you tamper with steering wheel and mess around with wiring whilst installing reverse sensor from outside. yes, it will result in warranty compromise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks