Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 11:47   #4726
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Well i tried to tell him in that thread itself that he has probably got abused figos for driving if this was really the case. Also My guess is that in an mjd since the turbo comes on at 80 if you do acceleration from say 70 you will get a surge of power at 80/2000 rpm and you will also feel this more because of the lag before 2000 rpm. In a Figo you will have linear acceleration in comparison.

I actually feel that the pickup from 70-120 is really good and quite comparable to mjd.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 8th July 2011 at 11:56.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:52   #4727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
In another threat by Tanveer, the bloke nonchalantly mentioned that the Figo D cannot just accelerate from 70 in fifth gear. Isn't it a bit too strange? I just tested mine today and it was just running and how! I did not want to comment on the other thread, but just wanted to ask, is the acceleration what I felt too less or what? It was hardly matter of a few seconds to reach 110 from 70. I maintained 70 in fifth gear for sometime just to make sure.

Also, I accelerated to 70 from mid 30s and shifted to fifth at 70 and it took much lesser time to reach 100. Are other cars more powerful? Am I being too optimistic about Figo D's acceleration?
Even i tested mine and I felt that mine did accelerate till 110kmph without any trouble. I felt at around 80kmph the turbo kicked in.

I feel 1.3MJD in Marutis does it better but not a great difference. The turbo boost just kicks in around this point and that pushes the car quickly above 100kmph. That aids to the feeling of zooming.

I do not think there is need for a gear shift for overtaking as mentioned in one of the posts. I feel that is little exaggerated.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:53   #4728
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil
In another threat by Tanveer, the bloke nonchalantly mentioned that the Figo D cannot just accelerate from 70 in fifth gear. Isn't it a bit too strange? I just tested mine today and it was just running and how! I did not want to comment on the other thread, but just wanted to ask, is the acceleration what I felt too less or what? It was hardly matter of a few seconds to reach 110 from 70. I maintained 70 in fifth gear for sometime just to make sure.

Also, I accelerated to 70 from mid 30s and shifted to fifth at 70 and it took much lesser time to reach 100. Are other cars more powerful? Am I being too optimistic about Figo D's acceleration?
The figo tdci accelerates linearly from 70 in fifth gear. There is no lack of power or anything and 70 is the correct speed to shift from 4th to 5th.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 11:55   #4729
BHPian

Re: phot'u' time :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Can't help, but share a few pictures, would help in breaking the monotony of the thread too
Back to back post because commenting on unrelated topics

Cool alloys Sheel; Looks very upmarket and belongs to many segments higher; Are they OEM ? Which are those ? Have to upsized your tires ? Nice pics and background. Sure did break the monotony of the thread;
Old 8th July 2011, 13:07   #4730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think Tanveer was comparing between Swift/Ritz and Figo on an open road. It is a test of brute power - and there I'll be surprised if the Marutis don't come out ahead ( [more power in the engine] - [similar power to encounter drag/rolling resistance] = [ far more power available for pickup] )

The question most people ask when buying a car is different - does the car have adequate power to give sufficient pickup to manage in city. Assumed in this question is the drivability of the car. Put both of them together and no Figo owner would complain about lack of power.
Old 8th July 2011, 15:55   #4731
BHPian

@vina Even on the open road, i don't think there would be a marked difference in pickup between the tdci and mjd until you go past 120. Also if you see the swift has much better pickup than ritz. Something to do with the tuning.

The percieved power delivery though will be different with the swift having a sudden turbo surge from 80 (turbo lag before that) which gaves a vrooom effect.

For overtaking at 80, I guess the tdci and mjd would be comparable. I don't think tsk's post was about power on the open road at all. It was about highway driveability and ease of overtaking.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:10   #4732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post

For overtaking at 80, I guess the tdci and mjd would be comparable. I don't think tsk's post was about power on the open road at all. It was about highway driveability and ease of overtaking.
So Ritz has better driveability on highways is it? And ease of overtaking?

No, I am not trying to be a fan boy here. But my understanding is that a low slung car is always better than a tall boy in driveability, and don't think it is any easier to overtake in Ritz. BUT, I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything here. I am just curious, you know?
Old 8th July 2011, 17:06   #4733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@vina Even on the open road, i don't think there would be a marked difference in pickup between the tdci and mjd until you go past 120. Also if you see the swift has much better pickup than ritz. Something to do with the tuning.

The percieved power delivery though will be different with the swift having a sudden turbo surge from 80 (turbo lag before that) which gaves a vrooom effect.

I haven't driven any car beyond 80 yet - so my comments are based strictly on what others have written (and on specs from manufacturers).

Tanveer mentioned in one of his posts that the Maruti guys arranged for him to do TD on an empty 4 lane "road to nowhere".

I agree that perception of pickup may be different from reality (and will in general help the cars with higher turbo lag) an that may have played a part, but then he is not new to cars, having experiences M800, Indica and Safari so I'll give him some credit.

Bottomline is - I like my Figo enough, and (for some reason) he likes Ritz better.
Old 8th July 2011, 17:46   #4734
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
So Ritz has better driveability on highways is it? And ease of overtaking?

No, I am not trying to be a fan boy here. But my understanding is that a low slung car is always better than a tall boy in driveability, and don't think it is any easier to overtake in Ritz. BUT, I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything here. I am just curious, you know?

What is different is the gearing and the gear ratios they are arranged in the MArutis to give the pickup in the lower gears and also to negate the turbo lag to an extent.
So you dont have to shift often since the engine just chugs along.
And they dont feel sluggish (due to turbo lag) in the lower power range.

And then Once the Turbo kicks in then there is this vrooming effect you said.
Although the Swift Ritz and Punto used the same engine Swift and Ritz have far better in gear acceleration than Punto in sub turbo region (below 2000rpm range). Thanks to the Gearing.

Figo is different in the sense the turbo lag is quite low (compared to the MJD) and disappears quickly (around 1750rpm) and so is more drive able in the city.

Simply said What Ritz and swift does with the gearing Figo gets done with the engine (and a very light turbo). But since MArutis have more power they tend to have an edge at this. That All.

And As Vina said others have their choices. Let them live with it like we live with ours.
Old 8th July 2011, 18:41   #4735
Senior - BHPian

ABS kicked in

My ABS had a test last night (or at least so I think - please puncture this smile gently if I'm wrong).

I was driving at 40-50 when I had to brake suddenly, and the road apparently had some oil spilled all over it. Slammed the brakes (and clutch) and felt the vibrations on the brake pedal.

I hope it WAS the ABS - please correct me if I'm wrong and if there is a chance that the car may have a problem.
Old 8th July 2011, 18:51   #4736
BHPian

I have not driven the swift/ritz MJD but have driven the punto MJD. This is what I felt.
The figo doesnt have much juice beyond 2000-2500rpm whereas the MJD has a better midrange with power coming upto 3000-3500rpm or so. So on accelerating , I need not upshift sooner in Punto. Overtaking(from speeds of 30/40) a longer vehicle like bus can be done in 3rd or 4th only and upshift later. Also I could do most of the city driving in 3rd gear due to the wider power brand.
Old 8th July 2011, 19:03   #4737
Senior - BHPian

Re: ABS kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
My ABS had a test last night (or at least so I think - please puncture this smile gently if I'm wrong).

I was driving at 40-50 when I had to brake suddenly, and the road apparently had some oil spilled all over it. Slammed the brakes (and clutch) and felt the vibrations on the brake pedal.

I hope it WAS the ABS - please correct me if I'm wrong and if there is a chance that the car may have a problem.
Did you hear some metallic clatter like khat khat khat if you did then it indeed is ABS, but slamming the clutch may increase your stopping distance. Of course, you are the best judge of the conditions. Sometimes downshifting may lead to skidding also.
Old 8th July 2011, 19:20   #4738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you hear some metallic clatter like khat khat khat if you did then it indeed is ABS, but slamming the clutch may increase your stopping distance. Of course, you are the best judge of the conditions. Sometimes downshifting may lead to skidding also.

yes there was the noise

clutch was slammed more as a reflex, in any case, engine wouldn't have helped, I was at too low an rpm so not sure how much braking was available - engine might actually have stalled and then I would probably have lost the ABS also.
Old 8th July 2011, 19:47   #4739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post

ABS indeed
First time I experienced it, I was wondering if there was anything wrong with the brakes
Old 8th July 2011, 22:21   #4740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Thanks for the paint brand Captain
I will be leaving the car at Sejal Motors on monday.
Shall update after that.
I too think Dupont is what you should try to get.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks