Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 10:13   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
If bank loan taken, do i need to submit any documents to the bank post delivery?
My loan was processed by the Honda dealer with HDFC bank. Since, I opted for registration on my own, I was asked to submit a copy of the RC card at the showroom so that they could dispatch the same to the bank.

I am not sure about the norms for SBI. You should get more information from your loan advisor at SBI.
Old 4th March 2010, 22:23   #77
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about the norms for SBI. You should get more information from your loan advisor at SBI.
I took loan in SBM and I was asked to submit a copy of RC book (now smart card) and final bill. I had to personally go to their loan dispatch centre to hand it over. I believe the process b/w SBI and SBM is more or less similar.
Old 9th March 2010, 12:49   #78
BHPian

Got busy at work.

Jayanth - thanks for the update. I checked with the SBI folks. What you suggested is correct for SBI also.

So once we get delivery of the vehicle

1) Smart Card Registration (Photocopy of Front and Back)
2) Final Bill/Tax Invoice (Make sure the dealer provides you with 2 Original copies of the same. One for the Bank and one for your records).

Yes, we do have to go back to RACPC to submit these documents. I havent done this yet but will be doing it next week. Will update if any surprises.

Till then - Drive Safe.
Old 11th March 2010, 12:26   #79
BHPian

Some Driving Tips needed

Folks

After driving around 750 KMs on Indian roads, some observations and HELP needed.

1) Highway Driving - 2/3 Lane highway. (Mysore/Hyderabad). I have encountered in numerous situations when i am following the Speed Limit (80Kph) and i am in the right most lane. I encounter a rather slow moving vehicle (Luggage Autos, 2 wheelers, Overloaded Trucks) going at 40Kph. I go behind them, slow down, Flash/Honk. No response at all.

Q: Is it ok to overtake from the Left Hand Side?

2) Twilight Driving - I usually turn on my Lights in twilight. My assumption is that Lights are there not just for me to see the road but also for other vehicles to see me. But to my annoyance, not just in twilight but in complete dark also, there are lots of vehicles who DO NOT turn on the lights. (Is it that they get an Electricity Bill?) So when i am overtaking them or changing lanes, i am extremely careful in changing lanes leading me to miss the minuscule oppurtunity to change lanes.

Q: How do you folks address this problem?

3) Driving Methodology - Call it my driving style or stickler to DL school methodology taught, changing lanes is causing problem. I usually do the quick check on the Internal Rear View Mirror, then the Left/Right Rear View Mirror, Check Blind Spot and then change lanes. This works perfectly fine in less density roads. But in some places where the density of vehicles is so high, this doesn't work at all. So by the time i finish the 3 task thingy, the whole landscape has changed so much that i am confused. One of my friends driver said, just look in the front (like auto drivers) and shift lanes. Back side people will automatically reduce speed. I am totally against it.

Q: What is the right methodology in this scenario?

Enough of ranting. I know i cannot go and educate the people on the road. So making changes to my driving style is a better option. Will post more later. Help
Old 11th March 2010, 14:13   #80
BHPian

Quote:
On highways I make absolutely sure that there are no other vehical coming from behind, or atleast they are at safe distance away and only then I overtake from left. I know this is not the right method, but there is no other way. Or you can try to shifting lanes as soon as you see a truck going slowly about 200mts ahead of you ( or any convenient distance) on the right most lane

Quote:

Even I am yet to find a solution this.
Old 11th March 2010, 17:12   #81
BHPian

Quote:
How do you folks address this problem?
Well well well..welcome to Desi iShtyle driving. I am sorry to say this Manju you will have to get used to the ugly way of driving not just in the city traffic but also in the high ways. I am saying this because if you don't get acquainted to this style you'll simply be left behind and sometimes just be brushed aside by those ugly monsters who think that road belongs to their roots. Sometime it's a literal fight to find your way. Here are some tips since I have extensively driven both in India and abroad.

1. You have to make up your mind that you are driving in India and be ready at all times to expect the unexpected.
(Highway Scenes: Sudden crossing of roads in the village limits, kids playing on road, animals grazing on the road, coz there is no vegetation left outside, Always try to see the unseen during darkness, never trust our roads etc.)

2. To answer to your second point, here in India most of the HVT's think that right lane is made for them, also most of the trucks are overloaded with 40KMPH speed and these guys will never take the left lane as they're weary of the risk of toppling due to uneven road edges. So don't hesitate to overtake from left as long as you've found a free passage. Honking is waste of time and effort.

3. To answer the second point, as I stated before always expect the unexpected. That is why I never feel drowsy when I am driving in India because the very fact of driving here puts me on high alert. The mental switch between driving styles here and abroad will be of much help.
BE VERY CAREFUL OF THE BULLOK CARTS(Obviously no lights) AND SOME TRUCKS WITH CARRYING IRON RODS (Some even drag on the ground hanging) W/O ANY SORT OF WARNING IN THE NIGHTS

4. I second your friends suggestion on the 3rd point. You will sometimes have to pretend that you didn't notice the vehicle coming from behind and force your way through or else you're left behind. I usually take this call depending on the type of the vehicle, smaller the vehicle (compared to mine), better is my chance of them giving way.

I know it feels like a roller coaster ride sometimes esp. driving in the Highways but this is something you will get used to overtime.

ALWAYS STAY ALERT TO EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED - I can't stress this enough
Old 11th March 2010, 19:24   #82
BHPian

Quote:
1) Highway Driving - I encounter a rather slow moving vehicle (Luggage Autos, 2 wheelers, Overloaded Trucks) going at 40Kph. I go behind them, slow down, Flash/Honk. No response at all.
I have faced this situation on the highways too but mostly it is with overloaded trucks/ tractors which are reluctant to change lanes. I agree with @vnk that this may not be a technically correct solution.

I handle this situation in the following manner:

1. Look into the RVM's and see how far the on-coming traffic on the left lane is from my car.
2. If far enough, I switch on the left indicator(to blink twice).
3. Change lane to the left side(slower) lane.
4. Honk/ Flash lamps so that the truck/ tractor driver knows about my intention(to overtake his vehicle from the left). Most of the times, the truck cleaner/ assistant responds in a sign language directing me to overtake.
5. I overtake, cover up some distance and then blink the right indicator (twice again) to come back to the right side(fast) lane.
6. If there is traffic behind me when I am struck behind a truck/ tractor, I wait for the traffic to cross me from the left and overtake the vehicle from the left and I follow suit all times abiding by steps 2 to 5 mentioned above.
7. If I am behind a vehicle traveling as fast as I am on the highway, I follow the vehicle in the front, meaning if the vehicle in the front is overtaking another slow moving vehicle from the left, I do the same. But, yes, there are times when the vehicle in the front becomes rash or drives recklessly(like deliberately overtaking a vehicle from the left even if there is a free lane to the right for overtaking, etc), I do not follow suit in that case.

Quote:
2) Twilight Driving - I usually turn on my Lights in twilight. My assumption is that Lights are there not just for me to see the road but also for other vehicles to see me. But to my annoyance, not just in twilight but in complete dark also, there are lots of vehicles who DO NOT turn on the lights. (Is it that they get an Electricity Bill?) So when i am overtaking them or changing lanes, i am extremely careful in changing lanes leading me to miss the minuscule oppurtunity to change lanes.

Ditto, I turn on my cars lights at about the same time as you mention.

Well, in Hyderabad, this is very common(driving with their lights off) with two wheelers but not cars or bigger vehicles so have never faced a situation like you mention. Sometimes, in dense traffic, I cannot change lanes or am restricted in my rear views and am not sure, I decide not to change lanes in such a case and just move on from the lane that I currently am in. For instance, say on a three lane road, I was to go straight, I should ideally have been on the middle lane but if I was on the right most lane(owing to the fact that I was driving the fastest within limits) and could not change lanes to the middle one, I stick to the right-most lane and wait for the vehicles in front of my car to take the right or a U-turn and then move on straight, this way I lose time but am not violating any rules.

Quote:
3) Driving Methodology - Call it my driving style or stickler to DL school methodology taught, changing lanes is causing problem. I usually do the quick check on the Internal Rear View Mirror, then the Left/Right Rear View Mirror, Check Blind Spot and then change lanes. This works perfectly fine in less density roads. But in some places where the density of vehicles is so high, this doesn't work at all. So by the time i finish the 3 task thingy, the whole landscape has changed so much that i am confused. One of my friends driver said, just look in the front (like auto drivers) and shift lanes. Back side people will automatically reduce speed. I am totally against it.

Am totally against what was suggested. I too have the habit of refering to the RVMs a lot. In cases like this, what I do is:

1. If I need to change lanes to the right hand side,
a. I refer to the inside RVM and the right hand side RVM and switch on the right indicator(to blink twice).
b. In extreme dense traffic, sometimes you can see that the indicator thingy is not effecting(slowing down) the on-coming traffic.
c. I roll my car's driver side window down and signal that I am changing lane to the right hand side.
d. On seeing that the traffic behind my car has slowed down giving me way, I change lanes.

2. If I need to change lanes to the left hand side,
a. I refer to the inside RVM and the left hand side RVM and switch on the left indicator(to blink twice).
b. In extreme dense traffic, sometimes you can see that the indicator thingy is not effecting the on-coming traffic.
c. I then follow what I said for point 2 above.
Old 11th March 2010, 20:01   #83
BHPian

I agree with what kalyan_hyd says. But all the personalized algorithms for changing lanes have lot of cases where they may not work. So you need to be in a constant learning process

On roads with out divider, such as Bangalore-Hassan road, the whole issue becomes more tricky. I avoid overtaking when I am approaching a curved stretch or climbing up a gradient on which the on coming traffic not visible due to the approaching peak of the gradient.

By the way Manju, do you use D more or S mode during overtaking?
Old 12th March 2010, 11:46   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
Honking is waste of time and effort.

4. I second your friends suggestion on the 3rd point. You will sometimes have to pretend that you didn't notice the vehicle coming from behind and force your way through or else you're left behind. I usually take this call depending on the type of the vehicle, smaller the vehicle (compared to mine), better is my chance of them giving way.
Thanks for the valid points you make. Agree to the Honking thing. I really do not keep Honking. Hate the sound myself when i am walking on the road. A courtesy Honk, a courtesy flash and if no response, i just decide that he is not going to budge. Few trucks are responsive though. Not the auto wallahs. And the other thing is NEVER to use your horn on 2 wheelers on highways. It kind of makes them panicky and they may end up doing more harm than giving me the way.

Well, on the pretension part, i am scared to do that. I really am. Call it practice but maybe time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
2. If far enough, I switch on the left indicator(to blink twice).
3. Change lane to the left side(slower) lane.

Sometimes, in dense traffic, I cannot change lanes or am restricted in my rear views and am not sure, I decide not to change lanes in such a case and just move on from the lane that I currently am in.
On the Indicator front, i usually let the Indicator on till i completely finish the switchover and i am in the changed lane completely.

Yeah, I will have to follow this rule of just slowing down and not try to change lanes. It does look stupid with folks in my car looking at me like i am a Wuss. But that should be ok as i would rather reach destination in one piece maybe 5 minutes late.

I was going to Airport the other day and there was this Corolla guy trying all sorts of zig zags on the road going from Extreme Right to Extreme Left (3 lane highway) and i was able to reach Airport faster than him as he was stuck in some places like Right Turns/Left Turn lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnk77 View Post

On roads with out divider, such as Bangalore-Hassan road, the whole issue becomes more tricky. I avoid overtaking when I am approaching a curved stretch or climbing up a gradient on which the on coming traffic not visible due to the approaching peak of the gradient.

By the way Manju, do you use D more or S mode during overtaking?
Man, learning process in IT is itself so boring and even during Driving. Yeah, i agree each long drive - there is something new to learn.

Havent ventured into 2 lane highway without a divider. Let me see how that surprise works out.

Well, what is "S" mode? No, i havent ventured into S Mode yet. Let me try this weekend.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:37   #85
BHPian

Quick Update on Automated SBI Notifications

ALERT

To all folks who are applying for loan with SBI, please do not JUST depend on automated notifications. Please follow up with them.

Reason:

When i followed up, SBI folks told me to come to pick up cheque sometime around Feb 15th. This was a manual confirmation.

When i was going to collect the cheque, i got an SMS that the application had reached them on Feb 15th. So note the discrepancies. However, i got the cheque on Feb 15th without any problem.

Today, i.e. March 12th, i checked my email and saw this email:

Dear Customer,,

We are glad to inform you that your CL proposal of Rs. xxxxxx sanctioned on 11/03/2010

Thanks, SBI

So this is . After i recieved the loan, car and almost finished 1000KM, i get this email.

Moral: Do not just depend on SBI automated notification.
Old 12th March 2010, 19:44   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

2) Twilight Driving ...

3) Driving Methodology
Hi hrmanju1,

I suggest you continue these topics in the many existing threads we have discussing them, rather than bringing this discussion in to your car ownership thread.

Thanks,
R
Old 18th March 2010, 09:15   #87
BHPian

First Service 1000Km Update

17/03/2010

I finished 1000 Kms and i fixed an appointment with WF Honda 2 days back. They gave me an appointment @ 9AM. I asked them during appointment time itself the approximate time it will take for the First Service and the prompt reply i got is "Sir, 1 hour only".

So i decided i will sit and wait there itself.

I started off @ 8AM from my home as i was not all that familiar with KR Puram Bridge area. I was @ WF Honda at around 8:50 AM. So far so good. I am slightly miffed at the building design altogether. Why is the Entrance to the Service/Reception so small? And we have to use the same entrance for IN/OUT. Well, real estate prices i think. Anyways, a person comes and takes my keys along with the Service booklet. I am asked to go and sit in the Customer lounge. Time is 9AM by the time i enter the lounge. (Is this a lounge? *sick*)

The Workshop timings are from 8:30 AM - 6:30 AM. I wish they open earlier to enable people to drop the car and be at office. Anyways, i am not sure how many of us Indians can come earlier. So i do a recce of the Lounge. Torn magazines, nice sofa, crappy coffee machine and water dispenser with NO disposable glasses. In fact no glasses. So i have te panoramic view of the service area. So far so good.

I notice that the TV/Desktop are not on. A/C is also not on. There are already 4 customers like me. I dont get a glass to drink. Well, i thought the workshop opens at 8:30 AM. I glanced at my watch and its already 9:10 AM. Since this is my FIRST workshop visit in India, i wasnt sure whats next. In my previous car ownership, as soon as i entered - SA would come with Service card and take the car in. But in my case - the SA must have been "late". "Sir, full traffic jam saar".

At 9:30 AM, SA comes in, takes me to the car and we go through the car in minute detail to see if any dents/scratches are on. I had left the Audio Remote Control in the car. He promptly asks me to take it. Ok, and i see the entry sheet. Time in it said 9:15 AM. Hmm, already 15 min delay. I gave my car at 8:57 AM to be precise. SA was not there and he gets the info @ 9:15 AM. Well, let me be not so picky.

SA tells it will take 2 hours to get it ready.

I asked him "The person who took my appointment said 1 hour."
SA "No sir, washing and all will take time"

This was at 9:30AM. So 2 hours will mean 11:30 AM -Correct. I told him i am going to wait in the "Lounge". But in the sheet, he gave the Finish time as 11 AM. Now, how is this possible eh? I did not want to speedup the person and him ending up doing a crappy job. I said whatever and went to the lounge. It was getting warmer and the A/C was still not on. I searched around for some feedback forms but i did not find any.

At around 9:45, there is lot of noise. I can hear accented Tamil speaking people and i notice the maintenance folks have arrived. There is a buzz and slowly things start falling in place. Lady comes over, switches on the TV and puts some weird channel and leaves. Thankfully, she leaves behind the Remote. Then another guy comes and turns on the A/C. It is almost 9:50 AM. Well, not sure the customers are at the mercy of Maintenance folks. I am mighty thirsty by then. I go and ask for a glass which i can use to drink water. And there i see there is a single glass tumbler. Not cold water. Anyways, sipped the water. After 15 mins, lady gaga comes over with Coffee. Hmm, i am a hard core coffee drinker and this was BAD coffee. Next time, i am staying away from the free coffee.

It was 11:30 AM and still no sign of the SA. I was getting bored seeing some stupid thing on TV. Anyways A/C was running and i continued relaxing. By Noon, SA comes in and asks me to sign the gate pass and that i have received the car in order. Well, hello - i havent seen the car and how can i sign this. He takes me to the car. I make sure i throughly check it before taking delivery. Just the same way as he took his sweet time before taking in the car. Everything looked Ok. Entered and saw they had done decent job insides. So gave the gate pass and zoomed off to home.

Bill: 0 Rs

Timing: 8:30 AM , better if earlier.
Approach: Not good
Lounge: Better not to
Timeliness: 1 hour promised on phone, ended up as 3hours.

Rating: 6/10

Question to fellow brethren:
Guys, for Second/Third normal services, is it a good idea to give the car to Pick Up and Drop service? Pros and Cons please?

Neither my office is near to the Service centre nor is my house. And waiting there is ruled out. What do you guys do?

Appreciate your answers
thanks
Old 18th March 2010, 12:17   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, for Second/Third normal services, is it a good idea to give the car to Pick Up and Drop service? Pros and Cons please?
Well, it doesn't look like you have a lot of choice there. Its the same with my case too, my house/ office are located quite far from the H.A.S.S. center so I use the pick-up and drop facility. However, do take some precautions as mentioned below.

PROs:
1. You save time coupled with the nuisance of waiting at the seemingly lousy lounge that they have.

CONs:
1. The driver that comes to pick-up/ drop your car might not be aware of the best route to take to the service station from your place and thus the car probably reaches the service station much later than it would have if you drive. So, the whole process kind of takes about 6 hours instead of 2-3 hours as it is supposed to.

Like in my case, the SA called me that the car reached the service station a good two hours after the car was picked-up from my office. It usually takes between 40-50 mins to commute and is about 22 kms apart. But, when I received the car back in the evening, the trip meter diff was 65 kms. The driver was not aware of the best route to reach the service center from my place so he ended up taking a longer/ denser route.

2. The service center sends a sheet with the driver which clearly reads that if the car was to meet with an accident during the transit phase, our insurance will be used to make a claim and that the service center would in no way be held responsible for the same.

Pre-cautions advised:
1. Note down all the ODO readings.

2. Make note of and also discuss with the driver any dents, scratches, etc on the car both when he comes to pick-up and drop the car.

3. I think its better to ask the driver about the route he will take to the service center and perhaps advice him on that if necessary. Why I say this is not because the driver cannot judge the best by himself but more because at times he himself might not be well aware of another route which is nearer/ much accessible, etc.

Apart from this, you are advised to follow the regular precautions listed here (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ice-visit.html)
Old 18th March 2010, 13:06   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2) Twilight Driving - I usually turn on my Lights in twilight. My assumption is that Lights are there not just for me to see the road but also for other vehicles to see me. But to my annoyance, not just in twilight but in complete dark also, there are lots of vehicles who DO NOT turn on the lights. (Is it that they get an Electricity Bill?) ....
Ditto. I always used to think of the same. Even in my apartment area, many of the so called upscale residents also seems to put on the head lights of their premium sedans/SUVs only when it is pitch darkness. I don't know what they are trying to save.. battery?
Old 18th March 2010, 14:06   #90
BHPian

"Time is not money but money is time" in India.

Quote:
I searched around for some feedback forms but i did not find any.
Were you given one at the time of car delivery along with gate pass?
I think this is the funniest moments to witness. The SA hands over the f/b form with a big grin on his face ( I wonder where he had hidden that smile all the while) "Saar feedback, hee.." and he makes sure that you fill it right in front of him w/o any escape. For me it's like a cat and mouse game, him trying to peek into the f/b form and I try to hide it away from him. And finally "Over saar? give me sir" and I say "can you please show me the drop box?" Huh.. (Ouch..he doesn't like it).
Cat and mouse game apart, atleast a customer has a "Bramhastra" in the form of f/b, it seems like though.

I leave my car in Magnum honda, I felt that they are quite punctual when it comes to time keeping and these guys have innovative way of keeping the customer updated through sms about the status of the vehicle throughout the service time.

Quote:
Question to fellow brethren:

Neither my office is near to the Service centre nor is my house. And waiting there is ruled out. What do you guys do?
For me, Magnum is closeby and I generally leave the car in the morning leave to work come back and collect in the evening at around 6. They charge a fee of Rs 300 for pickup and drop, irrespctive of distance. This works for people who stay far away from the S.S. Having said that I am lil weary about handing the car over to those guys after seeing them handle the car like "kiska kya jayega" attitude.
I consider this to be an opportunity to travel in our beloved BMTC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks