Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 11:59   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
Congratulations
I have seen few comments on the wrongly placed engine hood release, well how many times you open the engine hood while driving. So is it really an issue/ inconvenience or just for the sake of adding another -ve point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Imagine a situation wherein your cousin; just out of curiosity pulls up the lever ; when you are at speeds of 100-120; Shouldnt that lever placed at drivers end make a sense?

I know there is a lock; to pull the hood all over; But you never know when Murphy's law kicks off.!
Congratulations for your new car !! Hope you start enjoying it sooner.

In my 3 months of Fiesta ownership, I have not opened the hood even once. I think it's same for others too.

And even if it is pressed, the latch/lock (at front) is sturdy enough to hold the hood in place. I tried to open the hood without pulling it. I did not succeed.
Old 21st April 2010, 12:24   #32
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Generally all hoods have secondary locks for additional safety. I think drivers should be shrewd enough to slow down the car immediately if the hood lever is pulled. Need to treat hood as another door for safety purposes.

<<<In my 3 months of Fiesta ownership, I have not opened the hood even once. I think it's same for others too.>>>

Bit surprised to see this. Eventhough it is not needed, a frequent look at the oil levels, battery, fluid levels, belt tension will help to get accustomed to the things inside the hood. This will help to diagnose the problem if you face one.
Old 21st April 2010, 12:53   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations thunderbird77! Wishing you many more happy miles. So you are not fully convinced on the Figo over the Vista?

Both cars carry the VFM tag and there's no doubt that both have some -ves and it's upto you to find out which affects you most. Eg. If it's the rear seat am going to occupy mostly then the Vista is a no-brainer;if it's the driver's seat I'm going to occupy mostly then bye bye Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird77 View Post
One thing I notice is, some Figowners claim this a city car. But I have different opinion. I find it troublesome controlling it in city traffic. Because of its high torque at low RPM it leaps forward when you give gas in second and third gear. It gives me jitters since it has A/C condenser practically acting as front bumper!

However at highways it just cruises like a champ! Overtakes confidently which was surprisingly much better than my 1.6 L Accent petrol.
I have driven the Fiesta P and D to comment on the above.
  1. The TDCi has good usable linear torque . It's actually a breeze to drive in the city. It won't jump at 1500 or 2000 RPM like some cars (Unless may be we drive it like a drag race). With practice I think you'll find the best way to use the low end torque.
  2. Accent has lot of power ON PAPER. Apparently lot of power was lost by tht time it was transferred from the paper to the wheels
  3. Drive a Fiesta 1.6L Petrol in the highway and you'll know what a 100BHP/1.6L petrol can do. At times I reach for the gear lever to move to overdrive only to find that it's already in 5th gear!
Old 21st April 2010, 14:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:
wouldn't it be the same if he pulls the hand brake .
I don't think the hood will pop up unless you release the lock underneath the bonnet and lift it up
Good one about handbrake . The bonnet open liver has to be really pulled hard to make it work. After delivery of my Figo, I was trying to open the bonnet and found not working. I was worried of putting more force on the lever. When I visited showroom next day for number plate fixing, they checked and it was fine. I was pulling it very mildly ! They made me do it couple of times and well, there is nothing wrong with it.

so, Thunderbird, don't worry..Your naughty cousin won't end up pulling the lever just for fun or accidental ! If somebody is doing that, it is with full purpose only, curiosity will not make the bonnet open. Personally I don't find a big deal, though I would have liked it on the drivers side.
Old 21st April 2010, 14:34   #35
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
5.AC not sure why the case is so, i took the car on a hot sunday afternoon with 6 adults, no sweat.
6 Adults in a figo? And with you does it make 7?
How did you manage so many in a figo?
Old 21st April 2010, 14:43   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
6 Adults in a figo? And with you does it make 7?
How did you manage so many in a figo?
I would assume it's 6 including Scorpio. What's the big deal MX6? I have travelled in an M800 with 6 ppl
Old 21st April 2010, 15:30   #37
RGK
Senior - BHPian

@Figo Owners - Is switching on the A/c in TDCi bother the engine performance much or no difference.
Old 21st April 2010, 16:14   #38
BHPian

@rgk
Not much, but then I hve driven with 1 passenger max. Don't know what will be case when fully loaded.
Old 21st April 2010, 16:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
@Figo Owners - Is switching on the A/c in TDCi bother the engine performance much or no difference.
Hi RGK,

A/C with 4 people onboard did not matter much on engine on normal road. But in ghat section with 15 to 20 degree inclination i had to switch off A/C. Once my car got switched off and I tried to get the car moving from stationary(with A/C off) but it took about 10 seconds to even reach 10kmph. For a few seconds i thought that my car was never going to climb the hill

I dont know if this is expected in other similar cars? because i have generally not driven in ghat sections with 4 people on board. My earlier experience was all in petrol cars.

Also in my apartment, the ramp from the carparking lot is about 25-30 degrees, here even with just the driver i have to switch off the AC else it has trouble in climbing up. i never had this problem with petrol cars in my apartment.

Last edited by Yamaha100 : 21st April 2010 at 16:21.
Old 21st April 2010, 16:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Good one about handbrake . The bonnet open liver has to be really pulled hard to make it work. After delivery of my Figo, I was trying to open the bonnet and found not working. I was worried of putting more force on the lever. When I visited showroom next day for number plate fixing, they checked and it was fine. I was pulling it very mildly ! They made me do it couple of times and well, there is nothing wrong with it.
+1.
You are talking about the lever...I had a problem with closing the bonnet.
I ended up calling the Ford emergency hotline when I was not able to close the bonnet in my new Fiesta, back in Dec09. These guys promptly came and demonstrated how to close. Guess what I was doing wrong..instead of dropping the bonnet from a higher distance, I was dropping it from a shorter, some 6 inches distance...Never had it so embarassing in my life.
==========
BTW, not a good idea having small kids in the front..there are other much serious things which can go wrong than the innocent bonnet release lever.

Last edited by sanjayc : 21st April 2010 at 16:23.
Old 21st April 2010, 16:58   #41
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha100 View Post
Hi RGK,

A/C with 4 people onboard did not matter much on engine on normal road. But in ghat section with 15 to 20 degree inclination i had to switch off A/C. Once my car got switched off and I tried to get the car moving from stationary(with A/C off) but it took about 10 seconds to even reach 10kmph. For a few seconds i thought that my car was never going to climb the hill

I dont know if this is expected in other similar cars? because i have generally not driven in ghat sections with 4 people on board. My earlier experience was all in petrol cars.

Also in my apartment, the ramp from the carparking lot is about 25-30 degrees, here even with just the driver i have to switch off the AC else it has trouble in climbing up. i never had this problem with petrol cars in my apartment.
Driving in ghat roads with A/c is on is really a big strain for all diesel cars. But it should climb easily with 4 pax on board without A/c. Once the run in period is over I think it will become better in the ramp.
Old 21st April 2010, 19:59   #42
BHPian

Here are the pictures

Hi pals here are the pictures of my new Figo,
Attached Thumbnails
Bought Figo ZXI Diesel - Does it really deserve the hype?-figo-3.jpg  

Bought Figo ZXI Diesel - Does it really deserve the hype?-untitled.jpg  

Bought Figo ZXI Diesel - Does it really deserve the hype?-figo-2.jpg  

Bought Figo ZXI Diesel - Does it really deserve the hype?-figo-4.jpg  

Old 21st April 2010, 20:17   #43
BHPian

Interior pics

here are the pictures of dash board and interiors
Attached Thumbnails
Bought Figo ZXI Diesel - Does it really deserve the hype?-figo-5.jpg  

Bought Figo ZXI Diesel - Does it really deserve the hype?-figo-6.jpg  

Bought Figo ZXI Diesel - Does it really deserve the hype?-figo-7.jpg  

Bought Figo ZXI Diesel - Does it really deserve the hype?-figo-8.jpg  

Old 21st April 2010, 21:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations
I have seen few comments on the wrongly placed engine hood release, well how many times you open the engine hood while driving. So is it really an issue/ inconvenience or just for the sake of adding another -ve point
I guess many on this forum have a grouse with Ford's US-centric attitude towards "Made for India" cars. Look, I find it difficult to understand these "cost-cutting" excuses, especially when Ford was to make a big impression with its smaller cars here in India.

For a RHD car, a bonnet lever on the left side, control levers on the left hand side and other oddities (some have even complained about the AC control being "too far" from the driver), which have been designed for a LHD car is not fair. Would Ford have done the opposite (a bonnet lever on the right side, control levers on the right hand side ) if it were to sell the Figo in the US? I don't think so. Ford has taken the trouble to place a right hand instrument panel for a RHD car (as opposed to the centrally located instrument panel in the Spark). What stops them from shifting the cheaper controls on the correct side for RHD cars?

For the sake of argument, why did Ford put the hatch door release switch on the right side and not on the left side? This was surely not a cost-cutting measure. If the hatch door release switch was placed on the RHS, why did Ford decide to have the bonnet release on the left side?

As GTO had said in an earlier post, I strongly feel that government should have a uniform system for essential controls.

So, the Figo owner may not really open the engine hood every day, but the thought that it is wrongly placed can be an annoying factor.

Just my thoughts on the issue.
Old 22nd April 2010, 01:23   #45
BHPian

Oh ho. The First Sea-grey Figo out here. It looks really good - IMO one of the coolest colors on the Figo, with its bluish grey finish.
I guess the coral dash goes well with the grey exterior !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks