Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 11:06   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: "Vorsprung Durch Technik" - Audi A4 3.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan1981 View Post
PLazaTurbo, read through your ownership thread and it's quite an interesting story. Just wanted to check why didn't you get 18' rims as standard cause the fully loaded quattro's (Assuming WCI included since it's fully loaded) comes with 18 inchers. Is it because it was 2010?
Mine was an Auto Expo spec car hence it arrived on our shores sporting 19 inch alloys. There was no way they could let those be on as they were as unsuited as possible for our kind of roads and conditions. They installed the normal 17s to be on the safer (read conservative) side before offering it.
They did ask if we were interested in the 5-spoke 18s. I obviously was but dad was not ready to sacrifice comfort for handling or better looks so had to sacrifice on that part. Will get better ones soon.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:32   #242
BHPian

My cousin is having an Audi A4 1.8 TSI, and i got chance to be behind the wheel for a 500 KM trip twice :-).

First trip was awesome driven her to test its capabilities. Power on tap is awesome, its very comfortable to cruise-in at 120-130 km/hr.

But somehow i felt the steering wasn't sharp enough. My cousin who had experience with Beemer also had the same feel. I felt Audi 1.8 TSI is a comfortable cruiser car than a driver's car, i may be wrong but this is my experience.

Last edited by noopster : 10th May 2012 at 19:06. Reason: No reference to high speeds in street driving please
Old 10th May 2012, 13:10   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
My cousin is having an Audi A4 1.8 TSI, and i got chance to be behind the wheel for a 500 KM trip twice :-).

First trip was awesome driven her to test its capabilities. Power on tap is awesome, its very comfortable to cruise-in at 120-130 km/hr.

But somehow i felt the steering wasn't sharp enough. My cousin who had experience with Beemer also had the same feel. I felt Audi 1.8 TSI is a comfortable cruiser car than a driver's car, i may be wrong but this is my experience.

Yes Audi's more or less always have numb, artificial steering feel.
Under-steer is almost guaranteed. My Civic's steering is a lot more pure and has a more realistic feel to it than my Audi's.
With the Audi, it does weigh up well but the feeling of being connected to the road is not like it would be in an E60 5 series.
With 500NM on tap one better be used to the steering as it can get dangerous on turns at high speeds. There are enough newton-meters to even catch the AWD system off guard on an odd occasion.
Anyone who drives an Audi will tell you that the steering feedback could have been better. I hope they reduce the complexity of today's electronic set-ups and give a pure hydraulic unit. I would not mind sacrificing a bit on fuel efficiency for that impeccable feedback.
Anyway, if wishes were horses...

Last edited by noopster : 10th May 2012 at 19:07. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 10th May 2012, 15:35   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
With 500NM on tap one better be used to the steering as it can get dangerous on turns at high speeds. There are enough newton-meters to even catch the AWD system off guard on an odd occasion.
I didnt get it, did you mean to say even with AWD and ESP it is dangerous on turns at highspeeds?
Old 10th May 2012, 15:39   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
I didnt get it, did you mean to say even with AWD and ESP it is dangerous on turns at highspeeds?
Audis have a tendency to under-steer, case no different with my car.
If one is not familiar with the way the car and steering behave at those speeds , the torque could push you straight into the gradient.

One moment you feel you are turning enough going into a sharp turn and before the blink of an eye you are suddenly rushing into a corner with fearsome momentum. Typical under-steer tendencies. Quattro & ESP will ensure you wont slip or slide your tail out like in a BMW but in the end its you who has to control the car.
Old 25th July 2012, 11:56   #246
Senior - BHPian

Just a couple of pics from the recent past -
Attached Thumbnails
"Vorsprung Durch Technik" - Audi A4 3.0 TDI-394193_3572648280473_152994068_n.jpg  

"Vorsprung Durch Technik" - Audi A4 3.0 TDI-481097_3572869646007_315846845_n.jpg  

Old 25th July 2012, 18:32   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both cars in pic being Auto Union, how come a Bavarian(key) came in to spoill the party.

More pics of RS5.
Old 25th July 2012, 20:11   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Audis have a tendency to under-steer, case no different with my car.
If one is not familiar with the way the car and steering behave at those speeds , the torque could push you straight into the gradient.

One moment you feel you are turning enough going into a sharp turn and before the blink of an eye you are suddenly rushing into a corner with fearsome momentum. Typical under-steer tendencies. Quattro & ESP will ensure you wont slip or slide your tail out like in a BMW but in the end its you who has to control the car.
you are completely right they do under steer thats because the motor sits soo far up and it is soo heavy on its nose. the sports differential in my s4 takes care of this
Quote:
avinash's rs5 damn i loved that car i sold it to him back when i was working for amw.
Old 25th July 2012, 20:13   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post

avinash's rs5 damn i loved that car i sold it to him back when i was working for amw.
It was being used by Audi for the R-Drive event. Seemed to be a car owned by Audi India.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 21:03   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
It was being used by Audi for the R-Drive event. Seemed to be a car owned by Audi India.
actually your right he also has a mh 14 plate plateif i remember correctly
Old 26th July 2012, 00:52   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Both cars in pic being Auto Union, how come a Bavarian(key) came in to spoill the party.

More pics of RS5.

I had these available with me at hand. The other pictures will have to be transferred from the camera.
As far as the Bavarian is concerned, lets just say that a Z4 can surely never 'spoil' any party. lol

Quote:
you are completely right they do under steer thats because the motor sits soo far up and it is soo heavy on its nose. the sports differential in my s4 takes care of this

Congrats on the S4 & Akshay is right the RS5 in the pic belongs to Audi India.
Old 26th July 2012, 01:06   #252
BHPian

Thanks man did you get your 18s yet?
Old 26th July 2012, 11:42   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man did you get your 18s yet?

No man , a combo of various events delayed that bit.
Car had a few minor accidents which increased expenses + bought a new everyday car + dad's cribbing about bigger alloys .
I couldn't keep arguing so just decided to wait it out till the car is completely in my hands.
Old 26th July 2012, 18:00   #254
BHPian

Honestly wheels in bombay roads isnt worth it i spent almost 2.5 lacs for wheels on my a4 and in 5 months they were ruined. Couldnt sell them either because it has no resale value.
Old 27th July 2012, 10:13   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honestly wheels in bombay roads isnt worth it i spent almost 2.5 lacs for wheels on my a4 and in 5 months they were ruined. Couldnt sell them either because it has no resale value.

You had 19s right ? Always thought they were a bit of an overkill. Too delicate for this city's roads IMO. Anyway i have had second thoughts multiple times along the way and even if i upgrade it will only be to 18s, nothing more.
Drove a 3.2 with 18s briefly and it seems livable provided the driver is careful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks