Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 19:30   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T

ivar1951, that electronic controller is indeed the mechatronics which is the heart of the DSG.
Old 29th August 2011, 19:42   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
ivar1951, that electronic controller is indeed the mechatronics which is the heart of the DSG.
So then its the DSG which is the villain. I can't help recalling the many posts on the errant DSG. O, why, why did I ignore these warnings?
Old 29th August 2011, 19:55   #78
BHPian

Sad, my suspicion turned true. Ivar1951, you are damn lucky to be within warranty, else this would have cost you near rs.150,000 overall. I still think DSG is not adapted enough for India. It will be interesting to see how the new passat fares. I read some reports saying VW got a updated DSG for the Passat. Don't know it this is true. It is sad for a nice car like this to be let down by faulty electronics.

Last edited by 999 : 29th August 2011 at 20:02.
Old 29th August 2011, 19:59   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
I had driven only 10 km after the first service. Therefore, it is evident that they don't do any scans, etc, to detect
So did something go wrong during servicing?
Those 10kms were eventless or you could see something going wrong steadily during that drive?
Old 29th August 2011, 20:21   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
So did something go wrong during servicing?
Those 10kms were eventless or you could see something going wrong steadily during that drive?
That short drive was "business as usual." I had not driven the car for a while and, therefore, enjoyed the ride like I always did. No sign of the looming tsunami.

I have a sinking feeling that Skoda is giving "superb" features at attractive prices but it may be compromising on quality.
Old 29th August 2011, 20:37   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye
The DSG does not move to N on it's own (after coming to a complete halt)???
Why not?

I had read somewhere that modenr auto transmisstions do that to save brake pads and reduce overall wear and tear...
It does not. Have not seen an auto box move to N on it's own even in rental mercs I have driven abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat

As for mechatronics, I heard about another Superb whose mechatronic module went kaput over the weekend. It is under warranty but it will take 10 days to get the module in. With the high frequency of failures, they better keep them in stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951
Jitender, the senior engineer at Krishna Auto, the dealer, got back to me this evening. Skoda has given its consent to replace the defective parts: the clutch and the electronic controller. They dispatched the parts today itself which are expected to take at least a week to reach Chandigarh. So we are looking at a minimum of 10 to 12 days. Jitender says they will be opening the gear box only when the parts reach and then he will be in a position to say what went wrong and why.

So far an extremely professional approach of the dealer and Skoda.

But, I don't think I will buy a Skoda car again. Talk of heartbreaks!
Do keep us posted on their diagnosis on root cause. Agree that this is really disconcerting, ESP as the warranty period draws to a close. Have there been similar problems in any other mfrs dual clutch transmissions?
Old 30th August 2011, 00:40   #82
BHPian

Quote:
That short drive was "business as usual." I had not driven the car for a while and, therefore, enjoyed the ride like I always did. No sign of the looming tsunami.
In case you didn't seet his letter from VW to US customers, have a look. It gives some details on the failure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volkswagen of America Inc.pdf (110.0 KB, 514 views)
Old 30th August 2011, 08:30   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
In case you didn't seet his letter from VW to US customers, have a look. It gives some details on the failure.
Thanks. Very useful information. I'm going to ask Skoda to extend my warranty on the DSG as VW has done in the USA.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:40   #84
BHPian

I really dont understand how does this happen, can someone explain.
Old 30th August 2011, 13:01   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Very useful information. I'm going to ask Skoda to extend my warranty on the DSG as VW has done in the USA.

Yes, please get a clear letter from Skoda saying that the new DSG you are getting is fully covered for another 2 years or whatever the timeframe is. Do not allow them to overlap warranty periods!
Old 30th August 2011, 13:05   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Yes, please get a clear letter from Skoda saying that the new DSG you are getting is fully covered for another 2 years or whatever the time frame is. Do not allow them to overlap warranty periods!
Yes, I will try for sure. Does someone know of a precedent where Skoda has given a fresh warranty on a major part replaced during the warranty period?
Old 30th August 2011, 13:40   #87
BHPian

Hi Ivar 1951,
My superb 1.8TSi is currently in the skoda service centre with exactly the same problem. Mechatronic unit to be replaced. car was recovered from Ooty to Coimbatore (was a nightmare with the car failing on a long distance outstation trip with wife and kids).
I met with Skoda in Bangalore and primarily we need to know why the unit is failing. More importantly, post replacement will the new unit be free from the problems of the earlier unit. Further, we must get Skoda to extend warranty like VW America has done. The least Skoda India can do is to ensure that they atleast cover consumers for any further possible failure.
Old 30th August 2011, 15:00   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_driver View Post
More importantly, post replacement will the new unit be free from the problems of the earlier unit. Further, we must get Skoda to extend warranty like VW America has done. T
Hi maverick, sad to hear about your problem. Just out of cutiosity is your car a post 2009 model ?(i.e, decoding key from VIN). Apparently they changed some bushings in the DSG box after frequent failures and claim the new mechanotronic box is free from niggles. Apparently the problem still exists randomly and the exact cause is still unkown to VW as of why it goes bad (courtesy TDI forums and briskoda). May be they did put off DSG from VW briefly for the same reasom? I have read instances of 2011 tiguan and likes stranded for the same issue in different places in europe. It can't be the heat and moisture then. I think the best way is to get skoda provide an extended warranty like what they did in US. I think we will need a joint effort by all the people to do this. It is really sad to see a gem of a gearbox failed by a single part.
linky
http://www.my-gti.com/832/volkswagen...c-control-unit
http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/162...peed-problems/
Also another thing they say is never to ride a DSG in D on signals and stops. It has to be in N. The auto box is really sensitive to clutch riding. One of the DSG failed when a person tried a emergency stop to save a pedestrian. The box had to shift from 90kmph (6th gear) to 1st gear and the box did not anticipate it.

Last edited by 999 : 30th August 2011 at 15:08. Reason: add links
Old 30th August 2011, 15:47   #89
BHPian

My car is a feb 2010 model. How do I check this detail from the VIN as you say. It is really such a pity else the car is a beaut otherwise. Skoda and VW really need to do something fast, I haven't gone around bashing Skoda, but post this have at least 3 potential superb customers who are now seriously thinking a Skoda / superb purchase.
Old 30th August 2011, 16:14   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_driver View Post
How do I check this detail from the VIN as you say. It is really such a pity else the car is a beaut otherwise. Skoda and VW really need to do something fast, I haven't gone around bashing Skoda, but post this have at least 3 potential superb customers who are now seriously thinking a Skoda / superb purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Manufacturer: Skoda

VIN Characters: 17 (beginning with TMB...)

Decode:

6th character represents the MONTH of Manufacture
10th character represents the YEAR of Manufacture

An Example:

If your 6th VIN character is G, then it represents the Month - July
If your 10th VIN character is A, then it represents the Year - 2010

Month Codes:

A = JAN
B = FEB
C = MAR
D = APR
E = MAY
F = JUN
G = JUL
H = AUG
J = SEP
K = OCT
L = NOV
M = DEC

Year Codes:

A = 2010
B = 2011
C = 2012
D = 2013
E = 2014
F = 2015
G = 2016
H = 2017
J = 2018
K = 2019

If this didn't work, then the best way will be to PM fello bhpian http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/wildon.html. He also have a very informative thread on VIN http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...cture-vin.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks