Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2010, 12:59   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
There are rumours that tata is planning to launch nano plus with a bigger engine. I really do not understand the need for a bigger engine.
I read somewhere that the engine is even more FE. Also that they are ready with the diesel engine too.

Quote:
Lack of Hatch opening
Yes. This drawback needs to be addressed urgently.

Quote:
Absence of a glove box
At the very least TATA must provide a company designed glove box as an optional accessory.

Quote:
Ragarding my AC : Similar to the problem kollamraja has reported earlier in his car, the air flow has reduced drastically and I took the car two times to the service station (main dealer). He could not rectify that. Now, if you switch on your AC, AC is working. But if you want to check whether the AC is working, you need to put your fingers deep into the air vents.. then you will feel a cooling. My last trip to Guruvayoor with family was very very disappointing. After some time, I opened all windows and we continued in non-ac mode.
The service centre says "Only this much air will come in nano" I told them that I was driving this car for the last 9000+ kms, and I know how well the AC worked earlier. I also requested them to check and clean the filters etc. While accepting the car, they will say 'yes'. While returning after service, they will repeat that 'only this much air....". I send a feedback to tata website indicating this problem. No reply.. No action. So, I tried my best. Now, the only option in front of me is to change the service centre since I do not want to do any repairs by external mechanics other than tata authorised ones.
The air flow problem is most probably just a case of clogged filter. Particularly if the problem occurred gradually over a period of time. What a shame that your TASS has not bothered to clean your ac filter. Its even more galling that they try to gloss over it by saying "only this much air..."
I have twice asked my TASS to clean the ac filter and each time I have experienced instant change in the air flow. The last time, I made it a point to ask the technician to show me the location of the air filter. Its in a difficult to access spot but not impossible for a person with reasonably flexible body to do self service.
Stand outside the Nano and open the driver side door and go down on your knees, on the floor outside the car to peer under the dash board. The ac filter is located at the very back of the dash board towards the centre. You'll notice a narrow vertical door about 6" tall, secured with two steel screws on top and bottom.
Open this door and slide out the mesh filter. Clean and replace. That's it. Enjoy the cyclone within. All you'll need is a short screw driver. Of course as with most things in life, its easier said than done and yours truly has never attempted it because the 6' 1" largish frame is sure to scream in protest . I hope you'll try it and report your adventure.

Quote:
After this 10,000 kms service, I may sell my beloved nano due to the inability of tata service centres to provide good service. Since I am still a fan of tata, I will buy a tata car after my retirement, since I will have sufficient time to waste in the service centres hearing all the stories.
What a pity... being forced by poor quality service to dispose of a car you love. I sincerely wish the other service centre will help you change your mind.
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:55   #62
BHPian

My nano has crossed 10,000 kms and I already discussed with another tata authorised service centre. They told that they will definitely solve the AC issue and give me good service. Let me try out this option, since I do not want to approach any unauthorised person to touch my nano.

Tata should have made this filter assembly easily removable by the owner himself and clean it. It can be a 'click fit' rather than a screw fitment since it is difficult to use the screw opening mechanism under the dashboard. I am sure, owners will clean the filter once in every month or so and enjoy their life.

If my new service centre provide service as they promise, I will be very happy to get back my nano to my life, since I love my nano so much. You know....., in my official life, at the end of a day, however tensed my mind may be, when I approach my nano and see her beautiful face, I forget all worries and feel so relaxed. Thank you ratan tata and team, once again. But it is really painful to me to see that the sincere and dedicated efforts of a great man, Ratan Tata, is getting spoiled by his own company.

I have one more suggestion to tata : You send a feedback form to all tata car owners 'DIRECTLY' and get the reply back to you 'DIRECTLY'. You will find the fact that all owners love tata cars, they agree tata cars are value for money but they finally say below average service !!!

If any one from the tata company is reading this feedback, kindly take immediate action to open your ears to the problems of nano owners.... (If tata open up their feedbacks received from tata nano owners, they will definitely find three feedbacks from me pointing out all these problems). That only will help nano to sell more and more in future. Once you loose the name, it is almost impossible to recapture. You may recollect the circus fiat is playing to regain its name !!!
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:34   #63
BHPian

It has been 3 weeks since I've purchased my Nano LX.

The car in itself is fun to drive, esp in traffic.

Here's my initial report after 800kms -

F.E: Haven't really checked, think it is around 16-17kmpl in city and 20+ kmpl on the highway.
Issues: Soon after taking delivery and leaving COncorde motors(Dairy circle), the high beam switch conked off. Steering alignment was off, so was the steering centering itself. Had to take it back the very next day, was told by Concorde that they would send the vehicle back to PDI. Took delivery for the second time the following day- noticed the fuel tank was empty, and the odo read 150km +. Concorde said the PDI center was in Sarjapur village and that was on my expense. Had no time to argue with them on emptying my tank.

On removing the plastic covers on the seat, noticed the co-driver seat was torn, called up Concorde, was asked to bring back the vehicle for the fourth time, after waiting around for more than an hour, a lethargic sales manager walks down the stairs in a princely manner, sees the tear and asks what is the problem. After a heated argument with him, he slowly but steadly walks towards the PDI helpdesk and asks them if they tore it(as if they are gonna admit to something like that). Then he tells me, he will take a photograph of it and raise a complaint with Tata Motors because they have supplied a defective seat. A week later after my complaint kept falling on deaf ears, went ahead with replacing the seat covers (which I had planned anyway).

Today, it started raining turned on the wiper for the first time, the intermittent switch conked off! :(

Apart from this, noticed the AC blower suddenly loses speed while driving, only to resume itself in 5 seconds. Is this normal? Has been happening only for the last 100kms or so.

Beginning to wonder what other surprises the Nano has in store for me. :|
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:03   #64
BHPian

I have another query regarding service -

Do the mechanics service the vehicle from inside? Greasy prints all over the interiors?
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:54   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by underground1419 View Post
It has been 3 weeks since I've purchased my Nano LX.
The car in itself is fun to drive, esp in traffic.
Hats off to you for appreciating the Nano in spite of all those travails.

The combination switch conked off in my nano too and was replaced. The only other trouble I had was starter motor burning. Watch out for starter malfunction. The early symptoms are occasional failure of the starter motor when the key is turned.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1927258
Instead you'll hear just a click sound. The starter motor will work in your next attempt. This is a known issue and has been traced to a solenoid problem.

Happy Nano-ing
Old 2nd November 2010, 21:24   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollamraja View Post
The air flow problem is most probably just a case of clogged filter. Particularly if the problem occurred gradually over a period of time. What a shame that your TASS has not bothered to clean your ac filter. Its even more galling that they try to gloss over it by saying "only this much air..."
I have twice asked my TASS to clean the ac filter and each time I have experienced instant change in the air flow. The last time, I made it a point to ask the technician to show me the location of the air filter. Its in a difficult to access spot but not impossible for a person with reasonably flexible body to do self service.
Stand outside the Nano and open the driver side door and go down on your knees, on the floor outside the car to peer under the dash board. The ac filter is located at the very back of the dash board towards the centre. You'll notice a narrow vertical door about 6" tall, secured with two steel screws on top and bottom.
Open this door and slide out the mesh filter. Clean and replace. That's it. Enjoy the cyclone within. All you'll need is a short screw driver. Of course as with most things in life, its easier said than done and yours truly has never attempted it because the 6' 1" largish frame is sure to scream in protest . I hope you'll try it and report your adventure.

What a pity... being forced by poor quality service to dispose of a car you love. I sincerely wish the other service centre will help you change your mind.
Thank you Kollam Raja. The filter is taken out and cleaned by me. The total exercise will take only less than 30 minutes. The air flow problem is completely solved and the AC blower condition is back to normal. I do not understand why the service centre did not do this simple and obvious solution to the problem !!! However, once again, I congratulate the tata nano design team for foreseeing this clogging of filter and setting the filter easily cleanable by even the owners...

The description by KollamRaja is more than sufficient to locate the filter. He has very correctly told that you need a 'really short star screw driver' to start with. I am enclosing some photos of the filter for your better understanding since a picture is worth 1000 words !!!

Photo 1 : This is the AC filter. It is a plastic item. I am sorry, I forgot to take a photograph before cleaning it . The color of the white filter area was almost black in color. When it is washed with soap water, the dust easily dissolved and the filter was again clean as you see in the photo.

Photo 2 : The filter fits vertically. My finger points the top side of the filter. You may notice that the width of the filter is 'less' at the top side than the bottom side of the filter (photo 3).

Photo 3 : This is the bottom side of the filter. Please note that the width is slightly 'more' than the top side. So, so you cannot fit the filter upside down !!

Photo 4 : Another view of the top side where the width is less. You can clearly see the width difference.

Photo 5 : While fitting the filter back, you will find that it will not go straight !! There is no space due to the obstruction of pedals. So, the filter is designed to bend 90 degree easily at two places so as to get inserted into the slot even with all the space constraints. Thanks nano team. We feel proud of you. Photo 5 shows the first position where it bends 90 degree. You may note that the plastic frame is made very thin at the location to make it flexible.

Photo 6 : My finger shows the second point where it again makes a 90 degree bend.

The AC is very effective now. Blower is blasting.. and, as told by Kollam Raja, the cyclone is back. So, I have decided not to part with my nano immediately. Thanks to KollamRaja, Team-BHP and the nano design team for helping me to live with my favourite nano for some more time...

But, due to the 90 degree bending, I think one filter may not last for more than 3-4 cleanings. It may break at any one of the 90 degree bending points. If it breaks and a piece is inside the slot, again you will be in trouble. I checked up in the spares section at the service centre. It seems they call this filter as 'polon filter' (spelling not sure..) and the cost is much below Rs. 100. However, the filter was not in stock. I ordered it and requested the service advisor to inform me when it comes. We can buy one or two and stock it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano-nanofilter.jpg  

Tata Nano-nanopolonfiltertopside.jpg  

Tata Nano-nanoacpolonfilterbotomside.jpg  

Tata Nano-width-less-grue.jpg  

Tata Nano-nanopolonfilterfirstbend.jpg  

Tata Nano-nanopolonfiltersecondbend.jpg  

KMohanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2010, 21:52   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Hats off to you for appreciating the Nano in spite of all those travails.

The combination switch conked off in my nano too and was replaced. The only other trouble I had was starter motor burning. Watch out for starter malfunction. The early symptoms are occasional failure of the starter motor when the key is turned.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1927258
Instead you'll hear just a click sound. The starter motor will work in your next attempt. This is a known issue and has been traced to a solenoid problem.

Happy Nano-ing
Well, yesterday when I cranked the engine the engine failed to start in the first go. I didn't notice the click, but the engine did crank while the key was turned. Is it the same issue? Any fix for it?

Regarding the A/C, has anyone else faced similar issues like me? Even on my way home today at the signal when the engine was idling, the A/C fan suddenly dropped speed for a few seconds and was then back up to full speed. Reasons? :|

Last edited by underground1419 : 2nd November 2010 at 21:55.
Old 2nd November 2010, 22:38   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Well, yesterday when I cranked the engine the engine failed to start in the first go. I didn't notice the click, but the engine did crank while the key was turned. Is it the same issue? Any fix for it?

Regarding the A/C, has anyone else faced similar issues like me? Even on my way home today at the signal when the engine was idling, the A/C fan suddenly dropped speed for a few seconds and was then back up to full speed. Reasons? :|
Starter issue : My Nano LX 8 months old and covered more than 10,000 kms. Once I also experienced the starter problem. When you turn the key, only a 'click' sound. 2-3 times you try, it starts. I immediately took it to the service station. They changed some parts of the starter. After that no problems..

AC : I never experienced this problem. I think, the RPM of your engine may be varying too much. When the RPM goes below certain value, the blower may be dropping... The RPM variation I also observed for some time. In the 10K service, they told they have rectified it. I have to wait and see.
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:31   #69
BHPian

Quote:

I think its normal for the AC to stop intermittently - whenever the engine is idling, or there is a "load" on it - for instance, on a steep incline. The AC restarts on its own. I think this is meant to take care of any problems with the pick-up.
Old 3rd November 2010, 00:57   #70
BHPian

strangely indizen, I never noticed the problem for the first 600kms. I will ask the A.S.S to check it out once though during the first service.

Anyone else face any issues with the intermittent speed on the wiper(lx models)?
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:54   #71
BHPian

Quote:
The AC is very effective now. Blower is blasting.. and, as told by Kollam Raja, the cyclone is back. So, I have decided not to part with my nano immediately. Thanks to KollamRaja, Team-BHP and the nano design team for helping me to live with my favourite nano for some more time...

It seems they call this filter as 'polon filter' (spelling not sure..) and the cost is much below Rs. 100.
Wow... great job And the pics were very effective too.

Possible the name of the filter is 'pollen filter'. Pollen... as is flowers.

OT: It'll be easier if you put the captions (narrations) of the pics over the individual pics rather than clubbing them all together with pic nos. as reference. Easily done by inserting the captions (narrations) between the selected pics in the message edit box. Try it next time.

Quote:

Occasional failure of the starter motor is typical solenoid problem. This is a known issue and your TASS should fix it. Get it done immediately or you risk burning out your starter motor like me.
The fluctuating ac fan speed is abnormal behaviour and its better to have it checked. It sounds more like a lose contact somewhere in the power connection.

Mine is a Nano CX model that doesn't have the 'intermittent' wiper function. Could this be also related to the ac fan speed fluctuation?

Last edited by kollamraja : 3rd November 2010 at 11:02. Reason: included 'intermittent' wiper problem
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:07   #72
BHPian

Quote:
The fluctuating ac fan speed is abnormal behaviour and its better to have it checked. It sounds more like a lose contact somewhere in the power connection.

Mine is a Nano CX model that doesn't have the 'intermittent' wiper function. Could this be also related to the ac fan speed fluctuation?
The AC fan speed does not fluctuate.
The fan stops.
I've noticed it happens when the car is on an incline or is idling, and the fan starts by itself just as the car races back again. I think its a deliberate feature of the AC system; perhaps Tata Motors can clarify on this.
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:30   #73
BHPian

@kollamraja: I don't think the intermittent speed switch is related to the AC.

@indizen: I will check if the AC fan stops as you say before I give it for its first service. I think what I noticed was exactly how you described it.

About the service: Do they open up the engine from inside and service it from within the car? I'd hate for my interiors to get messed up.
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:05   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
The AC fan speed does not fluctuate.
The fan stops.
I've noticed it happens when the car is on an incline or is idling, and the fan starts by itself just as the car races back again. I think its a deliberate feature of the AC system; perhaps Tata Motors can clarify on this.
I have experienced the same issue too. But its for less than 1 or 2 seconds. The blower speed completely goes down and picks up again. But i have observed this mostly when the car is upto a task, like, an incline or something. But still i am keeping my ears and eyes to see if anything is wrong.
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:20   #75
BHPian

Quote:
@kollamraja: I don't think the intermittent speed switch is related to the AC.
Sorry, if I led you to believe that the intermittent speed switch is related to the AC. What I meant was, the problem you faced when your wiper was on intermittent mode could be related to the ac fan going off and coming on by itself. My suspicion was and still is on lose contact in the power supply.

Quote:
About the service: Do they open up the engine from inside and service it from within the car? I'd hate for my interiors to get messed up.
They necessarily have to remove your rear seat to access the engine compartment. They had also removed the left rear tyre when they replaced my starter motor.
kollamraja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks