Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 17:41   #1

Tata Nano

Tata Nano sunshine yellow is the new arrival at our home! I really love the elegance and beauty of the car. I paid 2.23 lacs PLUS spent 17,000/ on certain fixtures including Tata's Music system. So, at 2.40 lacs I have all the comforts that the small family of me and my husband could dream of. With easy ingress and egress access, a quite powerful AC, comfortable seating and leg-room, Nano can easily beat many other luxury cars. Of course, this is the first car we own and I may be biased!!!

Yet, my work has taken to extensive travel in various luxury cars and I have always found the ingress and egress difficult. For others Nano's sound may be irksome, but for us it's no problem...'cause, we are seated inside (inside the car you don't hear the engine sound). For cities and towns, this car is a tailor-made one. You need to park, stop at various points to fetch something requiring to ingress and egress and the car comes handy. Above all, Nano has a great saving on petrol (that's what I hear). I haven't checked it yet, but will do once the first service is done. I am yet to try the car on long journey and hill-drives, but I hear that the car does it fairly well.

The luggage space behind the car is also great when compared to Maruti 800, though the access to it is a bit clumsy. One thing I want to tell TATA is that they could have provided a glove-compartment. It's a must, however small it is. I don't know why TATA didn't think of it. There is no place whre you could keep your valuables, car documents etc. And, it shouldn't be difficult for TATA to do that. In any case you feel absolutely proud to drive or sit in NANO since the whole crowd turns around to take a look at your car and you!! It is a great feeling which will sustain for at least about 6 months to an year from now.

OK pals! Enough for now. SENIORs, please guide me whether I could take my Nano on long drives of about 150-200 kms. Could I trust the car on steep hill-roads? Expecting your guidance and advice.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th May 2010 at 18:49. Reason: Using Paragraphs help with readability also please post in relevant sub forum. Thanks
Old 10th May 2010, 19:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new Nano, and yellow nano looks cool. Spotted one today on my way to office.

How about some pics?

I think there is nothing to worry about its capability, our senior BHPians drove all the way from Mumbai to Delhi in a nano.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
please guide me whether I could take my Nano on long drives of about 150-200 kms. Could I trust the car on steep hill-roads?
You should check out these travelogues:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ive-delhi.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-all-well.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...0kms-nano.html

That should answer the question!

Congrats on the Nano. And, as always, please do post pics of the car and keep updating this thread about your driving experience.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

congrats on Nano where are pics, please post them soon
what was the waiting period of Nano?

Quote:
Tata's Music system
Tata make thier own music system for Nano? or is it re-badged as Tata?
Old 10th May 2010, 20:34   #5
BHPian

Congrats Radha for the Nano. It is such a cutie on the roads. The absence of the glove box is certainly an issue. Wishing you happy miles with the Nano.
PS- Dont forget to add customary snaps of your car.
Old 10th May 2010, 21:19   #6
kkg
BHPian

Many congrats for your New Nano. The one in yellow is a show stopper for sure. Just do not worry about its capabilities at all and try to enjoy every moment with it. Happy Driving a icon..
Old 10th May 2010, 21:24   #7
BHPian

congrats for your nano. I too have booked my nano and the delivery is due in aug-sep'10 (originally Jan-Mar'11) and I cant wait for it. Initially I had opted for golden but then changed it to sunshine yellow because i think it looks really cool on the nano. I intend to customise it. Looking forward to your reviews and experiences.
Old 11th May 2010, 08:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey congrats on the new purchase. Yellow looks good on the Nano. Drive safe.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:00   #9
BHPian

Congrats!! I was impressed with the space and ingress and egress ease of the Nano when I drove a friends car.

Someone here did a Bangalore - Ooty trip in a Nano. From mysore it is even closer! have a go
Old 11th May 2010, 12:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADHA VIJAY View Post
Tata Nano sunshine yellow ...
OK pals! Enough for now. SENIORs, please guide me whether I could take my Nano on long drives of about 150-200 kms. Could I trust the car on steep hill-roads? Expecting your guidance and advice.
Being a rear-wheel drive car, I think it would have no difficulty on hill roads, but then again it has a smaller engine. If you plan to take it to the hills, make a few short trips, with just you and your husband. Start early in the day and return home before evening. Carry spare water and coolant and orient yourselves well with the procedure of filling coolant/water into the car and also what to do if the engine overheats. This way even if you were stranded due to engine overheating, it would be daylight and you can try to let it cool down and drive back, or hitch a ride with someone else. Better still, get a couple of car enthu friends to ride in another car with you.

Beware the highways. I doubt if the Nano is well-planted on highway runs. Keep the speeds moderate, don't engage in aggressive driving and you should be ok. Again, have some friends accompany you in another car if you can.

I hear the Nano has a fuel tank of just 15 litres. Is that true??
Old 11th May 2010, 15:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry about the car, its a capable car.I did a bangalore-mysore-masinagudi-Ooty trip... details here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nt-agenda.html

More on engine specs, Fuel efficiency and issues here...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...cs-pg-2-a.html
Old 14th May 2010, 19:22   #12

Hi Pals! Thanks for your encouragement. Dear "pulsar56 and svsantosh", my special thanks to you two for providing me with links that are adequate to satisfy my doubts regarding the performance of the Nano. Most of you have sought the photos of my Nano and I am sending them herewith; I would like to share with you the following;

1. Seat covers - I got it from outside at the cost of Rs.2750/- including 2 neck-rests. It is lovely and far superior to those offered by my dealer (that too for a price of Rs.3500/-!).

2. Large rear-view-mirror. My cousin gave it to me which is attachable to the existing RVM. It is slightly over 1 foot and can cover the blind-spot on the right side. The spot on the right-hand side of the car just beside (outside) the back-door is absolutely a blind-spot; it is covered by your tall front co-passenger seat (and the co-passenger). This large RVM covers that spot (this is important because there is no provision in the car to attach a right hand side mirror)

3. To overcome the glove-compartment problem (in fact, the absence of it!), my friend has suggested (or offered) to devise a small box (with lock and key) which is attachable and screwed to the spare wheel in the front bonnet. I have asked him to do that - although it would be a bit clumsy to open the bonnet whenever you have to access the box, I thought it may come handy sometime)

4. I am thinking of making some kind of board to block the lower-back (!) of the front driver's seat: To cover the exposed battery!! Somehow I feel scary about it.

5. I have a kerrimat (camping OR yoga mat) additionally to cover the so called `boot' top - I think it would sufficiently prevent the engine heat from transporting itself to the small luggage which I may wish to carry on long journeys.

OK friends. Looking forward to hear your comments. Bye for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano-front-view.jpg  

Tata Nano-side-view.jpg  

Tata Nano-rear-view.jpg  

Tata Nano-grey-seat-covers.jpg  

Tata Nano-large-rearview-mirror.jpg  

Tata Nano-large-rearview-mirror-view.jpg  

Old 14th May 2010, 20:14   #13
BHPian

Looks beautiful in yellow!

I like the large RVM that you have. Happy driving.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:40   #14
BHPian

Lately, I have seen a lot of Nanos in that color. Yours looks pristine. Those seat covers and RVM are nice. Sadly no provisions to have a L ORVM on the car.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Radha vijay - Congrats !! enjoy your cute little ride. I Suggest that you velcro a small off-the-shelf box under the PA side dashboard as a glove box replacement.

@utopian - So TATA doesn't even manufacture LORVMs for nano?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks