Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 10:30   #91
BHPian

Re: Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT

Horn Replacement:
After the 1 year service, the horn was not "sounding" properly.
So took the car to the dealership and one of the two horns (the one inside the bonnet) was replaced under warranty.
The warranty claim procedure by the dealer is quite cumbersome and it took more than an hour to get the formalities done.
Posting some picture after the 1 year service.

Fuel Tank Capacity and Reserve Capacity :
Another thing I noticed in the car is the fuel tank capacity.
According to the manual the tank capacity is 45 litres.
On the day of delivery the dealer filled 10 litres of fuel and then immediately I filled up the tank and I could only fill 32 more litres, may be around 3 litres was there already in the tank.
But subsequent tank fills that I had done in the last year could take around 32 to maximum of 35 litres.
I usually go for filling as soon as the low fuel lamp lights up in the MID.
This means the Honda has designed the tank with a reserve of at least 10 litres.
Would like to know the experience of other members on this issue.

HC
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-img_0505.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-img_0507.jpg  

Welcome Home Lady in Red - Honda City S-MT-img_0509.jpg  

Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 09:12   #92
BHPian

Hi HC,

Congratulations on finishing an year with this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
The warranty claim procedure by the dealer is quite cumbersome and it took more than an hour to get the formalities done.
This is strange, I usually opt for a pick-up and a drop for all my car's services. I had got the horn on my car replaced last year and I was only asked to send-in the original manual and the Warranty booklet as they needed a copy of the registration page to be submitted to Honda.

Quote:
Fuel Tank Capacity and Reserve Capacity
But subsequent tank fills that I had done in the last year could take around 32 to maximum of 35 litres.
This means the Honda has designed the tank with a reserve of at least 10 litres.
This is true, I also make a point to refill the full tank as soon as I see the low fuel lamp or just before the Fuel indicator nears touching the bottom range. And the most I can get at that point of time is around 30-32 L.

Regards,
Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 12:12   #93
BHPian

Quote:
On the day of delivery the dealer filled 10 litres of fuel and then immediately I filled up the tank and I could only fill 32 more litres, may be around 3 litres was there already in the tank.

HC
Did you observe the DTE(Distance to empty) in MID? What did it show?

I remember once when DTE showed about 2.5 kms and i was able to fill about 33-34 litres. So i presume that reserve starts after DTE reaches '0' ?

Is it safe to assume like that ? Too much of a risk to get stranded without petrol in the middle of road.

Cheers
MKPI
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 14:14   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Hi HC,

Congratulations on finishing an year with this car.

This is strange, I usually opt for a pick-up and a drop for all my car's services. I had got the horn on my car replaced last year and I was only asked to send-in the original manual and the Warranty booklet as they needed a copy of the registration page to be submitted to Honda.

This is true, I also make a point to refill the full tank as soon as I see the low fuel lamp or just before the Fuel indicator nears touching the bottom range. And the most I can get at that point of time is around 30-32 L.

Regards,
Kalyan
Thanks Kalyan for the wishes and the feed back on the fuel tank capacity, guess you are back from your trip.
How was the car maintained during your absence and how is it driving after a break?
I make it a point to take the car to the service station by myself and stay there till the works get done, accordingly I plan this activity during my off days.
Somehow I am not comfortable with anyone from service station to drive my car.
I object with the mechanics and SA who drive rashly in the garage and instruct them not to handle my car that way.
Needless to say that No "test drives" without me accompanying the driver.
Some may think I am paranoid, but that's the way I take care of my things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Did you observe the DTE(Distance to empty) in MID? What did it show?

I remember once when DTE showed about 2.5 kms and i was able to fill about 33-34 litres. So i presume that reserve starts after DTE reaches '0' ?

Is it safe to assume like that ? Too much of a risk to get stranded without petrol in the middle of road.

Cheers
MKPI
MKPI, I did not notice the DTE meter, will do so the next time.
Agree with you that after the low fuel lamp comes on, I feel rather uncomfortable and head to my usual bunk for the tank fill.
But I think the car can be fully stretched to the 10 litres reserve capacity.
Like I mentioned, when I took delivery of the car, they filled up 10 litres in front of me after that I could top up 32 litres to make the full tank capacity of 45 litres.
Before that the car had run 32 KM to the RTO, I suppose the dealer knows the specific detail of how to fill fuel to the drop for the intended run

HC
Old 7th October 2011, 12:35   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kalyan for the wishes and the feed back on the fuel tank capacity, guess you are back from your trip.
How was the car maintained during your absence and how is it driving after a break?
I make it a point to take the car to the service station by myself and stay there till the works get done, accordingly I plan this activity during my off days.
Somehow I am not comfortable with anyone from service station to drive my car.
I object with the mechanics and SA who drive rashly in the garage and instruct them not to handle my car that way.
Needless to say that No "test drives" without me accompanying the driver.
Some may think I am paranoid, but that's the way I take care of my things.
Hi HC, yes, I have been back for over a month now but got busy with work. In my absence my car was maintained well by my uncle. As I discussed before leaving, I parked it in shade at my home and did not use the handbrake, my uncle was able to crank up the engine and idle it for 5 minutes once a week. A week before I arrived in India, I arranged for service, as usual, they provided the pick-up and drop service. I think there was some kind of a recall and replace on one of the parts which was also performed as part of this service. I had been reading-up on Raghu's thread about it. So, when I started to drive the vehicle, it did not behave any different than earlier times.

Good that you can find the time to take special care for your car. Ideally, I would like to do the same, the issue here being the service center is about 15 kms far from either of my home or office and having to go there to pick-up the car after the service would make me lose half a day of work every time.

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 7th October 2011 at 12:37.
Old 18th August 2012, 02:25   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Horn Replacement:
After the 1 year service, the horn was not "sounding" properly.
So took the car to the dealership and one of the two horns (the one inside the bonnet) was replaced under warranty.
Posting some picture after the 1 year service.

HC
To be precise, the Fuel Tank capacity is 42 Litres & not 45 Litres & the exact amount of fuel left is 7.9 Litres when the low fuel lamp lights up. Found this in the user manual, sorry if I woke you up on an old thread.
SrikantDora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 17:32   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrikantDora View Post
To be precise, the Fuel Tank capacity is 42 Litres & not 45 Litres & the exact amount of fuel left is 7.9 Litres when the low fuel lamp lights up. Found this in the user manual, sorry if I woke you up on an old thread.
Thanks Srikant for the information and also waking up me.
Need to read the manual again, I guess.
Will update this thread as the car is nearing its 2nd birthday in a month from now.
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 15:18   #98
BHPian

Red Riding Hood completed 2 years on 20/09/2012.
Following are some statistics:
Total KM covered in 2 years = 12,655
Total fuel consumed in 2 years = 925 litres costing Rs. 60502
Service costs in 2 years = Rs. 6810
II Year insurance = Rs. 15,961
Based on the above data, 2 year average fuel (running) cost = Rs. 4.78/kM
2 year fixed cost = Rs. 1.8/kM
Overall cost per kM = Rs. 6.58
How is it for a petrol sedan that is driven 99% in city?
Comments are welcome.

Last edited by Habanero City : 28th September 2012 at 15:20. Reason: More info
Habanero City is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 20:31   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Red Riding Hood completed 2 years on 20/09/2012.
Following are some statistics:
Total KM covered in 2 years = 12,655
Total fuel consumed in 2 years = 925 litres costing Rs. 60502
Service costs in 2 years = Rs. 6810
II Year insurance = Rs. 15,961
Based on the above data, 2 year average fuel (running) cost = Rs. 4.78/kM
2 year fixed cost = Rs. 1.8/kM
Overall cost per kM = Rs. 6.58
How is it for a petrol sedan that is driven 99% in city?
Comments are welcome.
Congrats HC on completing two happy years of ownership of the City.

I feel the ownership cost is fine for a petrol sedan of this size. 5 rupee a Kilometer is economical IMO.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 09:52   #100

Habenero'ji,
Noticed that you have been an Olympia customer.
I have just booked a ANHC AT at Olympia.
Finding it difficult to negotiate a good deal. They all seem so cold.
Any advice, tips?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:53   #101
BHPian

Time to wake up this thread.
Honda service says that they have an offer for suspension upgrade for City sold before 2012.
The kit consists of all necessary components for all 4 wheels and costs around Rs. 14,000.
This would enhance the ground clearance to the present City level and would lessen the bottom scrapings.
With labor charge around Rs. 3,000, the total offer is Rs. 17,000 and it is 1 day work.
Is this suspension upgrade worth doing?
Anyone who has done this upgrade, please comment.
Old 2nd August 2013, 13:38   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Time to wake up this thread.
Honda service says that they have an offer for suspension upgrade for City sold before 2012.
The kit consists of all necessary components for all 4 wheels and costs around Rs. 14,000.
This would enhance the ground clearance to the present City level and would lessen the bottom scrapings.
With labor charge around Rs. 3,000, the total offer is Rs. 17,000 and it is 1 day work.
Is this suspension upgrade worth doing?
Anyone who has done this upgrade, please comment.
That is an interesting option that they are providing. Since my 30k service is coming up in a while, I will get in touch with them and get a quote.
IMO the main issue with this upgrade is that it exposes the under-body of the City to a great extent. Something I have an issue with which is again offset by the 5mm added GC which in the case of this car is an absolute boon especially when there are rear passengers.
Also in reference to an earlier post on this thread about Fuel Capacity, my experiences say that if you refill as soon as the low fuel indicator comes on, the car swallows appx 30 liters that is if you ask the attendant to set the nozzle at First-Cut. After this it generally takes in 2-3 litres more. And I thought the tank capacity is 42 litres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks